The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

That's very nice Sir, great comp', spot on exposure, with good use of aperture giving nice bokeh.(y)

George.
Cheers George. It could've been more bokehlicious, but I stopped down a touch to give myself some wiggle room - there was a breeze knocking the branch around... ;)

I used af-c successfully for the first time though, pretty much all keepers, which is the opposite of my past experiences. :)

Just a candid street style shot taken at Canterbury Kent of a young man with his Guitar doing a bit of street playing. The Guitar the guy is using is a Gibson ES-347.

X-T2, 10-24mm Lens, 1/50th @ F4, ISO-200, Handheld.
Muso (14)-03689 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.
Great capture George, that XF10-24mm is pin sharp wide open...! I'm loving mine.

Did you need to ask that outdoor guitarist for permission to take his pic I wonder...?... was he cool with it ?

Regards;
Peter

Great capture George, that XF10-24mm is pin sharp wide open...! I'm loving mine.

Did you need to ask that outdoor guitarist for permission to take his pic I wonder...?... was he cool with it ?

Regards;
Peter

Many thanks for that Sir, really appreciate your comments.(y)

"I didn't actually ask him if I could take his photograph, I just caught his eye and pointed to my camera as he was playing and he nodded as to say yes. When he finished what he was playing I purchased one of his CDs and he was perfectly happy with the outcome"

George.

So the electronic shutter mode, mine makes a high pitched "squeek" when it fires. Is that the same for everyone? Its not particularly loud but I thought the whole point of it was total silence

So the electronic shutter mode, mine makes a high pitched "squeek" when it fires. Is that the same for everyone? Its not particularly loud but I thought the whole point of it was total silence

I THINK u still need to set it to silent

Well it's hard to describe :) but it makes a noise. I'll check out the silent setting then. Ta.

Edit, yeah it was the shutter sound setting. I just turned the volume off. Rtfm

Last edited:
I'm considering one for my collection :D
Fuji GAS attack 2017

To be fair, I did P/X a chunk of Canon kit. I still have my 7D2 and a couple of long lenses, just in case the X-T2 & 100-400 can't deliver when I need them too.

I also bought an X-T1, which I gave to my son, with the kit lens I already had. I think he'll learn more with the Fooj than he ever will with the Canon he was using. I now need to think about some sort of flash set up.

To be fair, I did P/X a chunk of Canon kit. I still have my 7D2 and a couple of long lenses, just in case the X-T2 & 100-400 can't deliver when I need them too.

I also bought an X-T1, which I gave to my son, with the kit lens I already had. I think he'll learn more with the Fooj than he ever will with the Canon he was using. I now need to think about some sort of flash set up.
I think your spot on with your thoughts regarding the XT1 for your son. Having used Canon and Olympus mostly over the last 10-15 years I have to say I've learnt more with my Fuji kit (Xpro1 to begin with) in the first 3 months than I did in the whole time with everything else. I've had Fuji for 12-15months now and it was the best decision I've made with my gear without doubt.

How do you learn more with a Fuji over any other camera?

Just curious...

The fact that the controls are all external, no menus, it's much easier to shoot in manual, and the basic controls are closer to hand. When I bought my first Fuji I was surprised by how often I shot in manual, how easy it was to make changes on the fly. Personally I think that being more tactile and the retro styling takes you back to a point where you have greater control (and thought more) about what you were doing. I know you can still stick everything on auto, but that's one setting on a modern DSLR, you have to make sure you have all 3 set to auto on the X series, so you are constantly thinking about all 3 variables.

I may be wrong, I may be talking out of my backside, but I know that when I bought the Fuji I got back into thinking much more about my settings, which then led me to think more about the composition & exposure....

The fact that the controls are all external, no menus, it's much easier to shoot in manual, and the basic controls are closer to hand. When I bought my first Fuji I was surprised by how often I shot in manual, how easy it was to make changes on the fly. Personally I think that being more tactile and the retro styling takes you back to a point where you have greater control (and thought more) about what you were doing. I know you can still stick everything on auto, but that's one setting on a modern DSLR, you have to make sure you have all 3 set to auto on the X series, so you are constantly thinking about all 3 variables.

I may be wrong, I may be talking out of my backside, but I know that when I bought the Fuji I got back into thinking much more about my settings, which then led me to think more about the composition & exposure....
:plus1: :agree: Photography schools start by teaching you the basics, with manually controlled cameras where you can see and understand your changes. Fuji is closer to that tenet than many other makes.

Well @Mr Perceptive I'd try a zip wire. That would be some drop from the top level, over Garrett quarry and down to the valley. As long as they don't charge £70 like the grockle trap near Bethesda!

I thought you were off to the big smoke for a weekend of sin and debauchery? That will cost you a pretty penny given lunnun prices. You could have just as much fun for a lot less money if you'd gone to Bridlington. And they speak English there!!!

This thread's a bit busier than the X-Pro2 one!

I've not long had an XP2, and have bought a 14/2.8 so far.

I have a budget of £650 left for another two lenses ideally - I'll be buying used, so those are the prices I'll be counting.

Any suggestions?

Stretching the budget perhaps, but maybe the 27/2.8 and the 90/2.

Trying to keep the lenses smaller as I want to make plenty of use of the XP2's OVF, but realise the longer FLs won't make that practical anyway.

Not interested in vintage glass!

Last edited:
Wow, very kind of you. Thanks! It was kind of impromptu, was just walking past and saw it mostly in shade, with a few flowers hit by sunlight... Figured it'd look good since exposing for the flower would darken and seperate the subject and background.
Then fluked a composition I liked with the sort of S shape of the branch... Had to twist a little to accentuate it, but it looks natural enough... ;)

Yes indeedy. Just cheapies from amazon, but worth their weight in gold!

I have a set of the cheapy tubes too, they're grand - only thing annoys me is they refuse to attach to any of my old MF lenses. The only lens they will work with for me is the 35 1.4. I was using it only yesterday, must process some :) similar to yours, new flowers and buds on our garden trees

I don't buy all this easier to learn photography nonsense, a camera is a camera. I can change from auto to manual on a D750 as easily as I can on a Fuji X-T2... I can also control aperture and shutter speed just like I can on a Fuji, all without having to go into a menu.

I don't buy all this easier to learn photography nonsense, a camera is a camera. I can change from auto to manual on a D750 as easily as I can on a Fuji X-T2... I can also control aperture and shutter speed just like I can on a Fuji, all without having to go into a menu.

I agree, I didn't make the switch from Nikon to Fuji because it would be any easier. Though I think I'm comfortable enough with any camera with full manual controls, I don't think a complete beginner could just pick up a Fuji and go trigger happy from the off. With any camera, like you say, you need to understand the basics of the exposure triangle at the very least. I shoot in manual mode 90% of the time, and I'm still practicing what I learned from my first bridge cameras.

I agree, I didn't make the switch from Nikon to Fuji because it would be any easier. Though I think I'm comfortable enough with any camera with full manual controls, I don't think a complete beginner could just pick up a Fuji and go trigger happy from the off. With any camera, like you say, you need to understand the basics of the exposure triangle at the very least. I shoot in manual mode 90% of the time, and I'm still practicing what I learned from my first bridge cameras.

Why couldn't they? How is it any harder than with a Canon?

They couldn't use the Canon either! :D That's what i mean. I've done weddings/events etc, where I'd have people ask could they take a shot with my camera - whether it was the Nikon D800E, or my old D90, or Sony A200 or the current XT-1, I'd hand it to them [ensuring they use the strap] and they'd just stare at it cluelessly. Doesn't matter the camera, most non photography peeps want a big red Auto button or they get con-flustered.

On entry level DSLRs is actually easier for the complete novice than on the Fuji's, yes you can move the dials and put the Fuji into full auto, but it doesn't have the scene modes Portrait, Landscape, Sports, etc that most 'budget' DSLRs have.

The Fuji is like shooting old skool, everything is on the outside on dials and round the lens, yes you can do that on a DSLR but it usually involves up/down buttons or rotary wheels which are not marked.

Its usually possible to take a good picture with any camera and similarly a bad one with any camera.

I don't get the fascination with manual mode tbh. I don't need full control to f*** my shots up. :D

Tbh, I'm so used to it I find semi auto modes more confusing :D When I look at a scene, I kinda know what shutter speed/aperture/ISO I'm going to be at before I click the shutter. I find letting the camera take care of any or other can balls it up quicker.

They couldn't use the Canon either! :D That's what i mean. I've done weddings/events etc, where I'd have people ask could they take a shot with my camera - whether it was the Nikon D800E, or my old D90, or Sony A200 or the current XT-1, I'd hand it to them [ensuring they use the strap] and they'd just stare at it cluelessly. Doesn't matter the camera, most non photography peeps want a big red Auto button or they get con-flustered.

And there in lies my reasoning. The X-T1 hasn't got a "green square mode" you have to put all 3 variables into auto. Yes you can do that, but you have to check each time if you did. And as I said, it's also about them being more tactile and the controls being at hand. After you have learned the basics of the exposure triangle "playing" with the camera settings is almost second nature as they are all in front of you and easily at hand.

Yes, on my Canon bodies I could change aperture on one wheel and the shutter on the other, but ISO would be a a button press and then a thumb wheel. Like I said, I may be talking rubbish, but that's how it seems to me, and I actually find that I am enjoying taking photo's more now than I have done for a few years.

Back