The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Tbh, I'm so used to it I find semi auto modes more confusing :D When I look at a scene, I kinda know what shutter speed/aperture/ISO I'm going to be at before I click the shutter. I find letting the camera take care of any or other can balls it up quicker.

I recently read something like "Why do you try and work that all out in your head when Nikon have spent tens of millions in R&D to allow their electronics to do it in nano-seconds" (or something like that). Which I do actually get. I don't think any of my recent DSLR's have ever been shot in full program mode, but I can see the idea behind it...

And there in lies my reasoning. The X-T1 hasn't got a "green square mode" you have to put all 3 variables into auto. Yes you can do that, but you have to check each time if you did. And as I said, it's also about them being more tactile and the controls being at hand. After you have learned the basics of the exposure triangle "playing" with the camera settings is almost second nature as they are all in front of you and easily at hand.

Yes, on my Canon bodies I could change aperture on one wheel and the shutter on the other, but ISO would be a a button press and then a thumb wheel. Like I said, I may be talking rubbish, but that's how it seems to me, and I actually find that I am enjoying taking photo's more now than I have done for a few years.

Well technically ISO is also a button press and thumb wheel with Fuji as there is the lock button :D

I recently read something like "Why do you try and work that all out in your head when Nikon have spent tens of millions in R&D to allow their electronics to do it in nano-seconds" (or something like that). Which I do actually get. I don't think any of my recent DSLR's have ever been shot in full program mode, but I can see the idea behind it...

Makes no odds to me how much time and effort and moolah they put into their tech, I can still work out the exposure 'I' desire in nano seconds ;) There's nothing hard about manual controls.

I don't even get a lot of this discussion though, what was the point of it all again? :D

Makes no odds to me how much time and effort and moolah they put into their tech, I can still work out the exposure 'I' desire in nano seconds ;) There's nothing hard about manual controls.

I don't even get a lot of this discussion though, what was the point of it all again? :D

I think my contributions came from Friday afternoon boredom. :D

Yeah but the aperture function on your set up is bust, as everything is shot wide open :D:p:D

That's one less button/wheel/menu to press then :D

scene modes Portrait, Landscape, Sports, etc

Never really figured out exactly how the scene modes alter the exposure parameters. At a guess, sports puts the shutter speed high to freeze action and landscape stops down to get as much DoF as possible but not sure about the others. Can't say I've ever even played with them to experiment!

Well technically ISO is also a button press and thumb wheel with Fuji as there is the lock button :D

Only if you lock the ISO dial on the X-T2!

i'd have gone manual on my nikon as well. it was exposed as i wanted it to be :) The only reason(s) im keeping my d750 is the 105macro and 135dc If there was a replacement for them on Fuji then it would be long gone.

Anyone using a Yongnuo 560 external flashgun and trigger in conjunction with a X-T1? I've had this flash for ages now but really not sure how to work it etc...

:(

Pass it my way, I'm trying to get hold of one by Saturday!
Yn560s work on anything anything, switch on set power and shoot.

Pass it my way, I'm trying to get hold of one by Saturday!
Yn560s work on anything anything, switch on set power and shoot.
I wanna try shoot images outdoors of our collie dog using the Yn560 flashgun, would I simply handhold the flashgun at arm's length..? Any advice appreciated. Can you get a dedicated stand for the Yn560 etc...?

My knowledge of using flashguns is pretty much a big fat Zero!!

Last edited:
I wanna try shoot images outdoors of our collie dog using the Yn560 flashgun, would I simply handhold the flashgun at arm's length..? Any advice appreciated. Can you get a dedicated stand for the Yn560 etc...?

My knowledge of using flashguns is pretty much a big fat Zero!!

If you are happy to hold the flash at arms length then it can be done. And could either be fired using a sync cord - LIKE THIS or using radio triggers.
If your Yongnuo 560 is a version 1 or 2 then THESE TRIGGERS will work fine with the flash power being adjusted on the flash itself.
If your flash is a version 3 or 4 then THIS TRIGGER will allow the flash power to be adjusted from the trigger which is much handier if you move the flash further away.

If you want to move the flash further from camera position, which I would recommend then a stand is a handy way to do it. One LIKE THIS will be enough but may need to be weighted when using outside. Unfortunately it doesn't end there as you still need a way to connect the flash to the stand, you can either use the thread on the bottom of the foot it came with (but this doesn't allow you to tilt and aim the flash) or use a dedicated flash holder LIKE THIS or LIKE THIS The advantage of the second one is that it converts your flash to take bowens s fit modifiers where as the first one is only for use with umbrellas,

And if you have came this far you need to choose whether to use bare flash or modify the light in some way. Cheapest modifier is an umbrella HERE'S TWO FOR A TENNER or you could opt for a softbox THIS ONE is a good buy as it includes the second of the flash holders I linked to.

When shooting you will have to keep your shutter speed below the sync speed which on the X-T1 I think is 180th so set 180th and manually set your ISO then adjust the aperture to get the background exposed how you want it, remembering that the subject will be lit by flash so you can underexpose the background if you prefer. Lastly adjust the power of the flash to get the correct exposure for the subject. To get the flash level correct you will either need to fire off a few shots adjusting up or down as you go, or if you still have that Sekonic flash meter I sold you a couple of years back then use that to measure the flash at subject position..

If you are not in a rush to get going with flash we can maybe meet up some time to let you try some things out.

Last edited:
Back