The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just a candid street style shot taken at Canterbury while I was wandering around, I saw this guy taking a nap and thought it was worth a shot ("and yes as always I did get his permission to use the shot"). Later during PP I noticed the sign so hence the title Essential Nap.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/340th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Essential Nap-03040 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
Just a candid street style shot taken at Canterbury while I was wandering around, I saw this guy taking a nap and thought it was worth a shot ("and yes as always I did get his permission to use the shot"). Later during PP I noticed the sign so hence the title Essential Nap.

George.
Given his angle, the ad for erectile disfunction seems appropriate.

George.

Good capture and Mono, George. I really like the way you use this lens and bonus points for text.

Given his angle, the ad for erectile disfunction seems appropriate.

Do you know I hadn't even noticed that Sir, (I've led a very sheltered life) ;) "Well spotted on your behalf".(y)

George.

Good capture and Mono, George. I really like the way you use this lens and bonus points for text.

Thank you kindly Sir, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.(y)

George.

Goldcrest. used my much liked XT-1
Taken yesterday from our upstairs landing window. Took me an age to get that shot it was like a Humming bird going from branch to branch.
[GoldCrest.jpg

Level 5 - the Elder tree.

( Daft title, but I love the stillness that this forecourt has, early morning.
I used Velvia to add a slight unreal look to a quiet scene.)

Also, I know that there isn't a 'Point of interest', but the light replaces that.

Too much thinking :)

X-T1 - 12mm

Stage.jpg

I am seriously considering making a return to Fuji having sold my X-T1 and lenses some time ago. Lack of time to indulge left me feeling like I was better off with a cheaper, simpler camera and I have been using little Panny LX100 for a couple of years now. It's a great little camera and can produce some really nice images, but somehow I am just missing the XT.

In the time I have been away from Fuji things have moved on a little. The XT10, then 20 has come along and now the XT2 also. I think the larger form factor of the XT is part of what I miss, so I'm thinking that is where I need to return to, so the question is XT1 or XT2?

I do not have a huge amount of cash to spare, so am thinking for the price of an XT2 and kit lens I could secure an XT1 and a some more glass. The problem is having read some reviews of the newer camera I really like the idea of the new sensor and in particular the improved AF.

Dilemmas!!

I am seriously considering making a return to Fuji having sold my X-T1 and lenses some time ago. Lack of time to indulge left me feeling like I was better off with a cheaper, simpler camera and I have been using little Panny LX100 for a couple of years now. It's a great little camera and can produce some really nice images, but somehow I am just missing the XT.

In the time I have been away from Fuji things have moved on a little. The XT10, then 20 has come along and now the XT2 also. I think the larger form factor of the XT is part of what I miss, so I'm thinking that is where I need to return to, so the question is XT1 or XT2?

I do not have a huge amount of cash to spare, so am thinking for the price of an XT2 and kit lens I could secure an XT1 and a some more glass. The problem is having read some reviews of the newer camera I really like the idea of the new sensor and in particular the improved AF.

Dilemmas!!
If you haven't got cash then definitely go for the XT1 + lenses. Or maybe wait till the next cash back deals and get the xt2

Dilemmas!!

Tough one. Me ? It's the X-T2

Also depend how much you planning to spend on lens and what lens you want. No point blowing all the cash on the body then it leave you little choice on lens selection. All Fuji lens is superb and no crap lens at all, but you may want a fast prime like 56mm f1.2 but you don';t have enough budget because you bought an XT2.

I still thinks camera body comes and go but lens stay with you a lot longer.

Last edited:
If you don't need weather sealing don't rule out the 20

Lenses > body every time. I'm happy out using the XT-1. I have thought about the XT20 but I don't imagine I'd get on as well with the smaller body/less of a grip. I have the battery grip for the XT-1 and it's nice and comfy with that. If the XT20 had a similar one I could probably live with that.

Dilemmas!!

Depends what you shoot if you need af tracking and shoot a lot in low light then the XT2 or XT20 would be your best bet. If not then the XT1 is still an excellent camera and you could buy more lenses. Another option could be an X100F but obviously a fixed lens.

Lenses > body every time. I'm happy out using the XT-1. I have thought about the XT20 but I don't imagine I'd get on as well with the smaller body/less of a grip. I have the battery grip for the XT-1 and it's nice and comfy with that. If the XT20 had a similar one I could probably live with that.

I solved that with mine by getting an XT10 grip, works well for me. Personally I found the XT2 + grip a bit too close to DSLR territory

I solved that with mine by getting an XT10 grip, works well for me. Personally I found the XT2 + grip a bit too close to DSLR territory
I'd imagine this is true. I've a grip for my X-T10 and whilst I like it, I think that's made it a little too big for my liking. It's lost some of that small form factor that makes it such a great camera.

Thanks for the responses to my dilemma. Whatever I end up with it will be used for a wide range of subjects and styles, including restless kids and occasional aviation, so good movement tracking would be beneficial. Having said that when I had the X-T1 I found it coped most of the time. It struggled on a couple of occasions shooting flying aircraft in fairly featureless blue skies, but I did still get some decent shots.

I guess I can always think of a reason why the newer camera would be better, but it is more difficult to convince myself the older one will suffice. You know how it is, just knowing that a better/newer product is out there means you want it. If the X-T2 didn't exist I would have no hesitation whatsoever buying another X-T1. It is still a cracking camera.

Thought about the X-T2, but for my purposes the T1 is more than adequate. Also the bigger files might require a pc upgrade if they slowed the existing one up too much

Arrrggghhh You Guys! I am torn between getting the 14 and the 90 and you're not helping! I know it's apples and oranges but I can only afford one. I have the 23 1.4 and the 50 f2. I've had the 14 in the past and loved it (sold when I foolishly left photography for a while) and was pretty much set on getting that next. But I'm shooting my cousins wedding as a favour (I used to do wedding photography but it killed the fun) and the 90 would be more useful. However the 23 and 50 combo would probably be fine for the way I shoot and the 14 might be more fun. And then people post cool stuff from the 90!!!

That could work. It's whatever is comfortable end of the day. I don't want to go back to chunky FX dslr size, but too small is just as bad for me. The XT-1 + grip is very comfortable, and still much tidier than my old D800E, especially with grip. And then of course Fuji lenses are a lot lighter in comparison on top.

Arrrggghhh You Guys! I am torn between getting the 14 and the 90 and you're not helping! I know it's apples and oranges but I can only afford one. I have the 23 1.4 and the 50 f2. I've had the 14 in the past and loved it (sold when I foolishly left photography for a while) and was pretty much set on getting that next. But I'm shooting my cousins wedding as a favour (I used to do wedding photography but it killed the fun) and the 90 would be more useful. However the 23 and 50 combo would probably be fine for the way I shoot and the 14 might be more fun. And then people post cool stuff from the 90!!!

If I had to have two Fuji lenses only, it would be a difficult decision between 14 + 23F1.4 and 23F1.4 and 90, I think I could live with either combo, sometimes I go out with just 14 and 23, yesterday I took 14,23 and 90 but didn't use 14 (though I did have another camera system that gave me FF 24mm equivalent, so used that a lot at the wide end.

The way I would look at it, is that the 14mm is a very good lens, but the 90 is a special lens.

Hi all. Coming from Nikon for many years, I'm still getting used to the X-T2, and wonder if anyone can answer the following queries ?

• When I'm reviewing images, the camera always seems to default to SD card slot 1 (which are the raw files), so you never get a true 1:1 (100%) magnification. I then have to press the AF joystick to change to card slot 2 (the Jpegs). Is there anyway to make the thing stick to slot 2 for reviewing ?
  • When charging the batteries with the grip attached (using the supplied AC adapter), is it just the 2 batteries in the grip that get charged, or does it also charge the one in the camera ?
  • Coming from many years using Nikon camera and being used to changing aperture using the command dial when in aperture priority mode, can this be set on the Fuji, or can you only use the aperture ring on the lens to change when in AP mode ?
  • I see that by pressing the front command dial i can choose to change EV compensation (when the compensation dial is set to "C"), but is it possible to assign this function to the rear command dial (which currently just zooms in when pressed) ?
Thanks in advanced.

Thanks for the responses to my dilemma. Whatever I end up with it will be used for a wide range of subjects and styles, including restless kids and occasional aviation, so good movement tracking would be beneficial. Having said that when I had the X-T1 I found it coped most of the time. It struggled on a couple of occasions shooting flying aircraft in fairly featureless blue skies, but I did still get some decent shots.

I guess I can always think of a reason why the newer camera would be better, but it is more difficult to convince myself the older one will suffice. You know how it is, just knowing that a better/newer product is out there means you want it. If the X-T2 didn't exist I would have no hesitation whatsoever buying another X-T1. It is still a cracking camera.
The other thing to consider is moving forward the T2 will probably get a few more updates, adding new features ect. I don't think there will be many more if any for the T1.
I guess it depends on whether the T1 is able to do all you want. If you go with the T2 at least your starting up to date spec wise.

Coming from many years using Nikon camera and being used to changing aperture using the command dial when in aperture priority mode, can this be set on the Fuji, or can you only use the aperture ring on the lens to change when in AP mode ?

Pretty sure the answer to that is no, can only use the command dial with lenses that don't have an aperture ring e.g. XC16-50, XC50-230 and XF27mm.

Last edited:

Simple! Buy the 90 and use it for the wedding then use the payment for the wedding to help pay for the 14! (And if the wedding's a freebie, don't tell Mrs Taylor that, tell her that you've used the payment to increase your future earning potential by expanding your repertoire of possible shots!)

Simple! Buy the 90 and use it for the wedding then use the payment for the wedding to help pay for the 14! (And if the wedding's a freebie, don't tell Mrs Taylor that, tell her that you've used the payment to increase your future earning potential by expanding your repertoire of possible shots!)

Ha! Very funny! It's a freebie and Mrs Taylor knows!

It's not in stock yet, but the refurb store is listing the X-T20 and 16-50mm kit @ £699.99. Use the 7% off discount code and you're looking at £650.00 for the kit...flog the lens and you have a next gen body for £550 :D Will be keeping an eye out for stock ;)

So after a lot of dithering, I finally bought an XT2 as a partner to my X Pro 2.

I honestly prefer the feel of the X Pro 2, and the rangefinder style, but the lack of a tilt screen was the final push - my wife is a good foot shorter than me, so unless I'm sitting, kneeling, or generally prostrating myself, I'm not getting the best angles with the view finder only, so the option to shoot from chest /hip with the flit out screen is significant enough.

Anyway - question time:

I prefer the EVF / LCD in Eye Sensor mode, but when I use the tilt screen, I find it is constantly switching off because the eye sensor is picking up my hand when I change focus points with the joystick. Is there a way to automatically kill the eye sensor *only* when using tilt screen?

So after a lot of dithering, I finally bought an XT2 as a partner to my X Pro 2.

I honestly prefer the feel of the X Pro 2, and the rangefinder style, but the lack of a tilt screen was the final push - my wife is a good foot shorter than me, so unless I'm sitting, kneeling, or generally prostrating myself, I'm not getting the best angles with the view finder only, so the option to shoot from chest /hip with the flit out screen is significant enough.

Anyway - question time:

I prefer the EVF / LCD in Eye Sensor mode, but when I use the tilt screen, I find it is constantly switching off because the eye sensor is picking up my hand when I change focus points with the joystick. Is there a way to automatically kill the eye sensor *only* when using tilt screen?
No, there's no setting to automatically do this, unfortunately.

Back