The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Would anyone who has owned both care to comment on how the Fuji 10-24 compares to the Samyang 12mm f/2 in terms of image quality? I can't really explain why the adapted Tokina 12-24 isn't doing it for me, but it just seems to lack a certain bite somehow. Whereas the Sammie I'm quite happy with. Any thoughts? Ta!

Would anyone who has owned both care to comment on how the Fuji 10-24 compares to the Samyang 12mm f/2 in terms of image quality? I can't really explain why the adapted Tokina 12-24 isn't doing it for me, but it just seems to lack a certain bite somehow. Whereas the Sammie I'm quite happy with. Any thoughts? Ta!

Nothing really in it, the choice will really come down to other factors. The colour rendition of the 2 is very different, to the point where I found the Samyang needed it's own white balance independant of the Fuji lenses. Contrast is lower and flare is more prominent (but it's not ugly flare) on the Samyang.

The Samyang is tiny - the Fuji is quite big. Samyang can use 75mm filters, Fuji needs 100mm. Samyang has faster aperture but no OIS, Fuji is slower but has (Very good) OIS.

The 55-200 is a great lens if you can find a good priced used one. I got a great price on mine, raging I sold it on because I haven't seen one for the same value since [€400/£345] - I sold it to get the 35 1.4 pretty much, which I also love, but I want both. I will be buying another when I can, need to sell a few bits and bobs first. The 56 1.2 looks a stunner, but the 55-200 is actually great for portraits also because of the brilliant OIS. I was able to get sharp hand-held indoor shots at 1/15th [static subjects obviously] which allows keeping the ISO down nice and low

They certainly have shot up in price, bought mine on here just over two years ago for 260 quid, got it a little bit cheaper because it was unboxed.

It is one of or maybe my best lens, as good as the Canon 70-200 f4 IS I owned and that was excellent. My daughter borrowed it over the weekend for the Duxford air show, be interesting to see the results.

Has anybody used the 100 - 400mm with the 1.4 convertor 0n their XT2.Interested in what the quality is like.I would be using it for bird photography.

Last edited:
Has anybody used the 100 - 400mm with the 1.4 convertor 0n their XT2.Interested in what the quality is like.I would be using it for bird photography.

Please excuse my editing skills, or lack of...

The Robin was shot with the TC on the lens, but he was so close I had to zoom out.... The Mallard was taken @ 560mm

DSCF2631 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

DSCF2565 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nothing really in it, the choice will really come down to other factors. The colour rendition of the 2 is very different, to the point where I found the Samyang needed it's own white balance independant of the Fuji lenses. Contrast is lower and flare is more prominent (but it's not ugly flare) on the Samyang.

The Samyang is tiny - the Fuji is quite big. Samyang can use 75mm filters, Fuji needs 100mm. Samyang has faster aperture but no OIS, Fuji is slower but has (Very good) OIS.
Thanks Alan! Very good summary.

I do have the 10-24 but I also quite fancy the Samyang for a bit of Astro which Im always promising myself Im going to do.
If you fancy trying the 10-24 David give me a shout and you can have a play.

I'm told that the Sammy can be soft on the corners. If you are happy with yours then that's good. No experience myself of that lens and it may be pixel peepers doing the complaining.
I do have the 10.24. It's a good lens and is nice and sharp. It does have a tendency to produce distortion at the10 end but this can be overcome if you get your composition in order.

Think you'd be better off running the Tokina, Sammy and Fuji side by side and comparing the the results.

Are you a pixel peeper?

I do have the 10-24 but I also quite fancy the Samyang for a bit of Astro which Im always promising myself Im going to do.
If you fancy trying the 10-24 David give me a shout and you can have a play.

That's very kind of you, Graham, and I may well take you up on it! Next time you're coming to town maybe... Thanks for coming out on Monday to the exhibition too, was good to see you.

I'm told that the Sammy can be soft on the corners. If you are happy with yours then that's good. No experience myself of that lens and it may be pixel peepers doing the complaining.
I do have the 10.24. It's a good lens and is nice and sharp. It does have a tendency to produce distortion at the10 end but this can be overcome if you get your composition in order.

Think you'd be better off running the Tokina, Sammy and Fuji side by side and comparing the the results.

Are you a pixel peeper?

I'm more interested in the overall impression, but I do print quite big sometimes. Not usually bothered about the corners so long as they aren't actively detracting. I've been trying to compare the Tokina with the Samyang at the wide end and the Fuji 18-55 at the other, but the differences are subtle. I've got some shots from Eigg I haven't processed yet, so maybe will be able to demonstrate, or maybe not. You'll be able to judge what the corners look like on my Sammy, anyway... :) Thanks!

Got back from China about two weeks ago and finally got round going through photos. Uploaded a few to Flickr but most are on my Instagram if anyone cares for them!

BTW the 10-24mm was a pleasure to use, extremely glad I got one thanks to the recommendations for it on here!
Although I'd probably now get a XT2 for the weatherproofing as I did get caught in torrental rainshowers and many other delightful conditions whilst hiking through mountains.

Here's one of my photos so far.

Modern Monks by Zero Brief, on Flickr

Last edited:
China is a very nice place to do photo, lots of historic places which is interesting to take. The street photo stuff is very good too.

How does everyone get on with the size of the X-T20?

I had an X-T10 for a short while and did find it quite fiddly, but having said that the main reason for me moving back to Fuji is for a smaller system.

For anyone who's used the X-T2 and the X-T20, is there a huge difference in handling?

Given the price difference it makes much more sense for me to get the X-T20, but there's still part of me that feels the X-T2 might be a better fit for me.

I haven't had a computer that will run lightroom for a bit but have just ordered one. I have lightroom 5.whatever the latest update is. Can it handle xt20 raws yet? If not is it a case of converting to dng? Will the fuji presets work?

I had an X-T10 for a short while and did find it quite fiddly, but having said that the main reason for me moving back to Fuji is for a smaller system.

For anyone who's used the X-T2 and the X-T20, is there a huge difference in handling?

Given the price difference it makes much more sense for me to get the X-T20, but there's still part of me that feels the X-T2 might be a better fit for me.
Even with the grip, for me the X-T20 was just that bit too fiddly. The IQ, of course, is excellent, but I found the whole thing too small and gladly went back to the T2. Plenty praise the touchscreen of the T20, but I found it an annoyance, and you couldn't even switch it permanently off. You could disable it, but since the on/off switch for it was also on the touch screen ... If you found the T10 too small, then you will also find the T20 small.

Size is pretty much identical. I'd suggest trying one with a grip fitted if you can, either in a shop or perhaps a member nearby if you're unfamiliar with it first. If you have already and still found it fiddly, don't bother with it.

Even with the grip, for me the X-T20 was just that bit too fiddly. The IQ, of course, is excellent, but I found the whole thing too small and gladly went back to the T2. Plenty praise the touchscreen of the T20, but I found it an annoyance, and you couldn't even switch it permanently off. You could disable it, but since the on/off switch for it was also on the touch screen ... If you found the T10 too small, then you will also find the T20 small.
I've seen those grips and I'm honestly not sure how much of a difference one would make.

The X-T2 is a considerable bit more money, but it's my last camera purchase for the foreseeable future so I could justify it (to me anyway, I'm not going to mention it to the wife. ....)

I've seen those grips and I'm honestly not sure how much of a difference one would make.

The X-T2 is a considerable bit more money, but it's my last camera purchase for the foreseeable future so I could justify it (to me anyway, I'm not going to mention it to the wife. ....)
I'm using the Metro Case which does add on a fair bit of bulk and minimal weight.

Sounds like your mind is made up mind you ;)

The X-T1 is still a formidable camera for a lot less money.

Haha its head vs heart. I know what I SHOULD do and I know what I WANT to do....
That's why I still find myself looking at X-Pro 2's! Makes no sense at all with the cost, lack of tilting screen and that my T10 does what I need it to.

I still want one though [emoji1]

I think adding a hand grip on the XT10 or XT20 is a good option to improve handling. I had a XE2s which is a small camera compare to my XT1 and altho it is a good camera but it feels like the camera will slip out of my hand. So while I was in London last Friday (for business), i went to Aperture UK and bought a mint used grip for the camera for £30. Walked out happy.

I think adding a hand grip on the XT10 or XT20 is a good option to improve handling. I had a XE2s which is a small camera compare to my XT1 and altho it is a good camera but it feels like the camera will slip out of my hand. So while I was in London last Friday (for business), i went to Aperture UK and bought a mint used grip for the camera for £30. Walked out happy.
They definitely help. Regardless, I always make sure I have a wrist strap on (and would even more so with a bigger, more expensive camera).

That's why I still find myself looking at X-Pro 2's! Makes no sense at all with the cost, lack of tilting screen and that my T10 does what I need it to.

I still want one though [emoji1]
My Pro2 is away with Fuji just now, and even though I've still got my T2 and Pro1, I feel like my right hand's been cut off.

My Pro2 is away with Fuji just now, and even though I've still got my T2 and Pro1, I feel like my right hand's been cut off.
I thought it was just me, I have both the X-Pro 2 and X-T2 but I always go for the X-Pro 2. Recently I've been "forcing" myself to us the X-T2, it's a lovely camera, and to be honest it can do more things as well and and in some cases better then the X-Pro 2, but I'm just not loving it, in fact my X-Pro 1 gets more use.
Can't bring myself to sell it on though.

I think is because the x pro series design is my lean towards classic range finder. The XT1 and XT2 is more of a retro SLR style. I admit I would prefer the x pro 2 because I can't afford a Leica .......... the x pro 2 got that street style look. Thats why for some reason I'm using my XE2s more then my XT1 at the moment if I can only use 1 body. I usually take both out to save the hassle of changing lens in the street.

Use the X-E2 all the time, only keep the X-T1 for when I need a tilting screen and seriously considering part ex for a XT-10.

Waiting for the X-E3 which is rumoured to be coming this autumn

Didn't the XE2s came out last year? Is around the same time as X pro 2 i think. Don't you hate the digital generation when camera comes out every 6 months - 12 months lol.

Use the X-E2 all the time, only keep the X-T1 for when I need a tilting screen and seriously considering part ex for a XT-10.

Waiting for the X-E3 which is rumoured to be coming this autumn
Didn't the XE2s came out last year? Is around the same time as X pro 2 i think. Don't you hate the digital generation when camera comes out every 6 months - 12 months lol.

The X-E2S now has an obselete sensor, they are not being manufactured anymore, so hwne stocks are gone, they are gone, so if Fuji want to continue the X-E family then an X-E3 is inevitable. Hhat will determine the release date is Fuji's manufacturing capability, X-T20's and X100F's are in very limited supply, and even X-T2's (now nearly 9 months since release) are in short supply.

I think that Fuji will continue the X-E line and it will be very similar to the previous models.

Not personally keen on anything that makes it bigger and heavier, just a few minor modifications and the new sensor will suit me fine.
Those asking for tilt screen, focus point toggler and twin card slots are likely to be disappointed. Think that will be left for the X-Pro2 both for future sales and manufacturing cost reasons.

I think is because the x pro series design is my lean towards classic range finder. The XT1 and XT2 is more of a retro SLR style. I admit I would prefer the x pro 2 because I can't afford a Leica .......... the x pro 2 got that street style look. Thats why for some reason I'm using my XE2s more then my XT1 at the moment if I can only use 1 body. I usually take both out to save the hassle of changing lens in the street.
Also the Pro2 has a unique shutter sound. Approaching that deliciousness of the Olympus E1, which I once referred to as the sound of an angel's drawers dropping ...

Well, I received a surprisingly good quote from MPB for my Canon kit so the heart has won out and I'm going for the X-T2.

I'll be combining it with an 18-55 and a Samyang 12mm (replacing a 24-70, and a 17-40).

I realise there'll be sacrifices in some areas, but the size difference alone means the camera will get used much more.
Good choice of starter lenses.

Back