The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A few from last weekend. Didn't do very well, and the weather pretty much sucked!

RIAT 2017 (Saturday)
by JJ, on Flickr

RIAT 2017 (Saturday)
by JJ, on Flickr

RIAT 2017 (Saturday)
by JJ, on Flickr

RIAT 2017 (Saturday)
by JJ, on Flickr

RIAT 2017 (Saturday)
by JJ, on Flickr

All with the X-T2, 100-400 with 1.4x TC.

Really like this one! Love Apaches

Totally agree with this.

A few from a short jaunt into Glasgow today from me. In and around Glasgow central or more specifically, Mitchell Street / Lane.

Lighthouse Spiral Staircase
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Mitchell Lane, Glasgow

Street Art at Mitchell Street, Glasgow

Cheers

Ian
Thats a lovely set.

After thinking about it for a while finally decided to re-orgainse my lens collection, missed the 55-200 for while now so just purchased one fro the refub store.
This means the 50-140 which rally gets used now I got a 90mm a while back will be going along with the 100-400 which is a great lens but just don't use it enough and I don't tend to carry it about due to the weight.
So the 1.4 t/c will be going as well and pretty sure the 10-24 will be joining them lately preferring the 14mm and 16-55 combo.

If anybody gets any experience with a 5 or 7 inch monitor on their x cameras let's hear! The smallHd is apparently is now compatible with the T2, making it very useful indeed for vlogging style shooting!

If anybody gets any experience with a 5 or 7 inch monitor on their x cameras let's hear! The smallHd is apparently is now compatible with the T2, making it very useful indeed for vlogging style shooting!

And the app could be used but I find it less useful when it comes to recording video with an external mic plugged in to the body.

Right. Decision has been made.....

XT2 with 16-55, 50-140 to start with. Then perhaps the 14 at a later date.

Anyone any personal experience feedback they can provide on the 14 please?

Thats a stunner David. Wide angle are imho not that easy to use well this for me works well looking at the bottom of the picture its really hard to get a sense of scale to the shot, then as you are led to the picture it put into a sense of scale with the mountains in the background. Add to the fact you got some lovely light.
Cheers Graham, appreciated! All I need to do now is learn to use it somewhere other than the beach! Haven't been getting out with a camera much lately, but there's going to be Crete in September as usual...

Right. Decision has been made.....

XT2 with 16-55, 50-140 to start with. Then perhaps the 14 at a later date.

Anyone any personal experience feedback they can provide on the 14 please?

Had a 14mm and when I first used it thought there was something wrong/loose inside- its a bit noisy and clunky but that`s the norm for the 14mm apparently, good lens though.
Is the 16-55 that much better than the 18-55 which has VR?

Had a 14mm and when I first used it thought there was something wrong/loose inside- its a bit noisy and clunky but that`s the norm for the 14mm apparently, good lens though.

Maybe my 16-55mm was a bit ropey or something, but the edges weren't as sharp as that of the 18-55mm. Centre was definitely sharper on the more expensive lens at wider apertures however.

Cheers Graham, appreciated! All I need to do now is learn to use it somewhere other than the beach! Haven't been getting out with a camera much lately, but there's going to be Crete in September as usual...

If you're going to be West Crete based (Chania nomos), head up to the top of the Samaria gorge - the taverna up there does great food and fantastic views! You might even see some vultures. On the way up towards Omalos, you'll pass the Biological Gardens of Crete - well worth a wander round the garden and even more so a meal in their taverna!

We'll be there (Crete) for a couple of weeks at the end of August and early September (arriving on the 29th August) - if you want to arrange a coffee and chat, drop me a PM.

The fixed f2.8 is more important to me than VR - which I think I have used about 4 times in my life on the D4s and system....I can pan quite happily at 1/15th with the 70-200 without resorting to VR. I just think it is something else to go wrong and the kind of thing used to technobabble buyers. If you are going to use a long exposure, what is wrong with using a steady of some kind? Tripod, wall, tree, whatever....

Cheers chap - I'll have a look while I am in the shop and see what gives. For the time being it isn't desperate. I still have my P7800 and the adaptor I made to take the WA75 (wide angle convertor lens) - it gives me 21mm equivalent and is edge to edge sharp. For a shirt pocket compact it is bloody brilliant, to the point I have thought about a second one to store away for when mine gives up. f2 lens at 24mm and goes to 200 f4. Marvellous on 80,100 or up to 400 in desperattion conditions! I have never shot above 400 on anything.

The fixed f2.8 is more important to me than VR - which I think I have used about 4 times in my life on the D4s and system....I can pan quite happily at 1/15th with the 70-200 without resorting to VR. I just think it is something else to go wrong and the kind of thing used to technobabble buyers. If you are going to use a long exposure, what is wrong with using a steady of some kind? Tripod, wall, tree, whatever....
Some of us oldies aren't quite as steady as we used to be, and certainly don't want to lug a tripod on every walk. :)

Some of us oldies aren't quite as steady as we used to be, and certainly don't want to lug a tripod on every walk. :)

I am the same, but I haven't lost my technique, not quite to that level anyway! Get a decent, lightweight tripod, taking it opens up so many more opportunites!

The X-T2s (when it comes) will have IBIS as standard and it will work with all X series lenses.

I wouldn't be super sure on this. I believe that the lens mount restricts the image circle, and I understand that a full IBIS implementation is not possible with the current hardware (happy to be proved wrong though)

But you could potentially have IBIS with a smaller image circle, so you might get the option of 6000x4000 with IBIS disabled or say 5800 x 3866 with IBIS, the latter figures I've plucked out of the air, but it shows the principle, ie a Frame within a Frame with IBIS.

IBIS has its place but its not a silver bullet.

If you're going to be West Crete based (Chania nomos), head up to the top of the Samaria gorge - the taverna up there does great food and fantastic views! You might even see some vultures. On the way up towards Omalos, you'll pass the Biological Gardens of Crete - well worth a wander round the garden and even more so a meal in their taverna!

We'll be there (Crete) for a couple of weeks at the end of August and early September (arriving on the 29th August) - if you want to arrange a coffee and chat, drop me a PM.
Ooh thanks. Yes, will be based just west of Chania in the first week of September, so will PM shortly!

But you could potentially have IBIS with a smaller image circle, so you might get the option of 6000x4000 with IBIS disabled or say 5800 x 3866 with IBIS, the latter figures I've plucked out of the air, but it shows the principle, ie a Frame within a Frame with IBIS.
Err? In English please:confused:

I'm only reporting what Fuji Rumours have been saying. I don't do the techy side of things.

I'm only reporting what Fuji Rumours have been saying. I don't do the techy side of things.

With the shaky sensor means of reducing fuzzy images, you will get a degree of cropping around the edges where the sensor moes outside the lens image circle......cos it works by moving the sensor to match the movement of the image. If you like, two dimension panning within the camera!

Basically as I understand it, an IBIS implementation would mean that the outside couple of rows on the sensor might not be usable when in IBIS mode as a maximum sensor shift will take the sensor outside the image circle from the lens.

I've drawn you a picture, yes its exaggerated, but it shows the principle, so to have a clean image, it will need to be cropped, hence not the full sensor will be available.

Sensor Shift
by Mr Perceptive on Talk Photography

IF the next generation of X bodies will have IBIS, will they automatically disable the lenses' OIS systems? I know that the Nikanon stabilisation was in lens because that's the only way to keep the image stable through a "proper" OVF but with EVFs, either IBIS or ILIS can keep things in the EVF relatively stable.
TBH, I'd be a little surprised if Fuji went IBIS since they have already invested a lot (as have their users!) in ILIS lenses.

I see. That would be a worse case scenario with heavy camera shake I presume. In practical terms would it greatly affect the image? Given that most of us print at an absolute max of A3, and seldom that. I'm talking about ordinary folk, not pixel peepers!

I'd be a little surprised if Fuji went IBIS since they have already invested a lot (as have their users!) in ILIS lenses.

I totally agree, and as I've mentioned, I don't think the X mount technology is compatible, as stated by (originally posted on FujiLove and incidently published by the same rumour site promoting IBIS in the X-T2S !!!!!) :-

Fuji Managers Takashi Ueno and Shusuke Kozaki have given the answer to IBIS

“First of all, our XF mount is not compatible with IBIS. You may be thinking that our mount size is similar to competitors’ and why Fujifilm cannot do it. The answer is simple: for the sake of image quality.

IBIS has both advantages and disadvantages. IBIS moves the sensor in the mount to stabilize the image. To secure the amount of light at any position, the diameter of mount must cover the wider image circle considering the margin of sensor movement. The diameter of our mount was designed for the image circle without IBIS. It means the amount of light at the corners is reduced when the sensor is shifted. We could correct it digitally, but we don’t want to do it: we don’t want to compromise our image quality.

To cover the larger image circle, not only mount size (and body size), but also lens size must be bigger. We are pursuing the best balance of image quality, size and weight of both cameras and lenses, operability and performance. When we were deciding on the design of our mount, we decided to provide the best quality body and lens in comfortable small package as the best balance. And we don’t think this direction will be changed in the future.Our highest priority is always image quality. We hope you agree!”

Fuji Rumours says it will happen. From a "usually reliable source".
But....do you believe Fuji Rumours?

So based on above - no!

Last edited:
http://www.fujirumors.com/page/2/

True news?
Fake news?
Mere gossip?
Wishful thinking?

As there is no definite timeline for the X-T2s it's hard to see how fairly advanced features could be confirmed.
The article mentions a Facebook page. Anyone on here who uses that, who could have a look what it says - if anything?

I don't really miss it. But then a lot of my work is on a tripod. Even the hand held stuff I just look for a shutter speed of 1/60th min and that seems to be enough.

No-one knows when the X-T2s will be out. It's less than 12 months since the X-T2 came out so it will probably be some time yet. If that's all the improvement (Does s stand for stabilisation?) it seems a lot of outlay for little return.

I don't really miss it. But then a lot of my work is on a tripod. Even the hand held stuff I just look for a shutter speed of 1/60th min and that seems to be enough.

No-one knows when the X-T2s will be out. It's less than 12 months since the X-T2 came out so it will probably be some time yet. If that's all the improvement (Does s stand for stabilisation?) it seems a lot of outlay for little return.

In the past a Fuji 'S' has stood for 'second', as in second generation camera variant, eg X100 -> X100S -> X100T (third) and no guessing for the 'F' variant, but it was also used on X-E2, the S version (still a current camera) has little or no improvement over a firmware upgraded X-E2

X-T2S, its just a made up name at this stage it could be an S or even an X-T3, the rumour sites need to keep promoting this sort of stuff to attract advertising revenue and other pay per click type links. Personally I don't think we will see an updated X-T2 for quite a while yet, I suspect that an X-E3 will be next.

Recommendation needed (for my wife). She's getting a XT-2 and a 23mm as a personal camera to supplement the Nikon gear she uses for work. She loved the IQ of the f1.4 23mm but not the bulk as its defeating the purpose of the purchase. Couldn't find a local stockist with the f2 model and have heard conflicting stories about IQ and focusing. Anyone tried the both back to back? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

Recommendation needed (for my wife). She's getting a XT-2 and a 23mm as a personal camera to supplement the Nikon gear she uses for work. She loved the IQ of the f1.4 23mm but not the bulk as its defeating the purpose of the purchase. Couldn't find a local stockist with the f2 model and have heard conflicting stories about IQ and focusing. Anyone tried the both back to back? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

I think it really depends on what you want the lens for:-

F1.4 sharpest IQ (possibly the sharpest of all the Fuji primes), and it's got F1.4

F2, not as good in the IQ stakes (but still good, there isn't a really a bad Fuji prime, just ones with faster/shower AF), but faster AF and Weather Resistant and more compact.

Personally I love the F1.4, it's my most used lens.

Back