The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anyone been using xt2 for sports? Is there such thing as a budget friendly sports telephoto?

Depends on what that budget is and what sports. The 55-200 is a solid lens, with very good OIS and at the long end you get f/4.8 which is not too shabby. I managed to get one used for €400, raging that I sold it on tbh. You'd be doing well to find someone selling for that price though. The guy I bought from just wanted a quick, hassle free sale.

If you need more reach there's the 100-400, but that's double the price

Or if you really need f/2.8 over reach, then there's the more pro-spec 50-140

Last edited:
Depends on what that budget is and what sports. The 55-200 is a solid lens, with very good OIS and at the long end you get f/4.8 which is not too shabby. I managed to get one used for €400, raging that I sold it on tbh. You'd be doing well to find someone selling for that price though. The guy I bought from just wanted a quick, hassle free sale.

If you need more reach there's the 100-400, but that's double the price

Or if you really need f/2.8 over reach, then there's the more pro-spec 50-140

The 55-200mm is excellent, and as you say, has incredible ois. Picked mine up used for a ridiculous £180.00 :D I also have the 50-230mm which is very good in itself, but doesn't have the same AF speed or contrast wide open.

The 55-200mm is excellent, and as you say, has incredible ois. Picked mine up used for a ridiculous £180.00 :D I also have the 50-230mm which is very good in itself, but doesn't have the same AF speed or contrast wide open.

Wow, that was a right bargain! I actually traded my 55-200 for a 35 1.4 plus the 50-230 plus cash, which was not too shabby either ;) I sold the 50-230 almost right away so didn't really get to play around with it. But I have seen images from it that weren't bad at all. I did give it a quick test drive and found that the OIS wasn't even close to that of the 55-200, but it was the MK1

They look pretty good to me.
As to shadows...I'm constantly impressed with how much LR recovers. I no longer worry about shadows in my shots. Highlight recovery is also pretty good too.
You need @Mr Perceptive here. He knows far more about the techy bits than anyone else. (Well it is his job!)

@Jase

The X-Trans3 sensor (X-Pro2, X-T2, X-T20, X100F) has between a half a stop and a stop better dynamic range than the previous X-Trans2 sensor (borne out by dynamic range graphs from the likes of AP tests, etc), but that's not the whole story. Now this is my experience (and that of a couple of Fuji X photographers) - The X-T2 is quite highlight sensitive but has great shadow recovery, but you need to use the Histogram to drive this (in the custom display settings you can get a histogram display on the EVF).

To get the best recovery, expose to the right (ETTR) but try not to clip the highlights (a small a mount of clipping is recoverable, but too much and it isn't!), by doing this you will get very good shadow recovery (if required by the scene)

I did have some examples but they are lost in a world of Photobucket, but here is one I've uploaded to TP

Salford Quays - Original RAW
by Mr Perceptive on Talk Photography

Salford Quays - Processed

Note the Fuji histogram may not be in the same place in the dynamic range as your Nikon one, I found this out when I was loaned an Olympus OM-D EM1Mk2 for a couple of weeks, with that you could clip on the highlights a lot more than teh Fuji and recover them (but the shadow recovery wasn't as good) - in essence the dynamic range at base ISO was pretty similar, but the histograms were in different positions, once I'd sussed that I started getting much better images out of the Olympus!

@Jase

The X-Trans3 sensor (X-Pro2, X-T2, X-T20, X100F) has between a half a stop and a stop better dynamic range than the previous X-Trans2 sensor (borne out by dynamic range graphs from the likes of AP tests, etc), but that's not the whole story. Now this is my experience (and that of a couple of Fuji X photographers) - The X-T2 is quite highlight sensitive but has great shadow recovery, but you need to use the Histogram to drive this (in the custom display settings you can get a histogram display on the EVF).

To get the best recovery, expose to the right (ETTR) but try not to clip the highlights (a small a mount of clipping is recoverable, but too much and it isn't!), by doing this you will get very good shadow recovery (if required by the scene)

I did have some examples but they are lost in a world of Photobucket, but here is one I've uploaded to TP

Salford Quays - Original RAW

Salford Quays - Processed

Note the Fuji histogram may not be in the same place in the dynamic range as your Nikon one, I found this out when I was loaned an Olympus OM-D EM1Mk2 for a couple of weeks, with that you could clip on the highlights a lot more than teh Fuji and recover them (but the shadow recovery wasn't as good) - in essence the dynamic range at base ISO was pretty similar, but the histograms were in different positions, once I'd sussed that I started getting much better images out of the Olympus!
That's an impressive amount of shadow recovery - what were the noise levels like?

Not the best example maybe, just a shot I messed about with pushing shadows - The XT-1 aint too shabby either, not quite as good as the T2 obviously, but you can really work a RAW from it. In this image originally the cat was pretty much a silhouette

Scrappy on a hot tin roof by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Well, I despatched son George to Cambrian Cameras for my XT2 and lenses today. he will return tomorrow night. I have my first job on Wednesday, so Monday and Tuesday will be spent reading the manual and trying to get to get to understand the layout. Thankfully it isn't too hard a job, the Conger Championships - limited choice of angles as I shall be on one boat and the other boats might not even be in sight! The waterproofing will come in handy at sea.

Is anyone using their X-T1 to capture family moments? Is it up to the task in terms of focusing on moving kids and keeper rate? What lenses are you using? I've seen the X-E2 on the refurb store but seen a few X-T1 pop up. The newer X-T20 or X-T2 would require a lot more investment so thinking maybe older kit and some decent lenses instead. I quite like the look of the X-T1 paired with the 27mm for small X100 like setup.

Is anyone using their X-T1 to capture family moments? Is it up to the task in terms of focusing on moving kids and keeper rate? What lenses are you using? I've seen the X-E2 on the refurb store but seen a few X-T1 pop up. The newer X-T20 or X-T2 would require a lot more investment so thinking maybe older kit and some decent lenses instead. I quite like the look of the X-T1 paired with the 27mm for small X100 like setup.

Yup, I take pics of the kids all the time. My girls are 9 and 13 though, so they're past their more hyper stages - but I've taken pics of them on their bikes, playing ball, on bouncy castles etc. I had the 27mm and it's not a bad lens to keep up with them, but now mostly use the 35mm 1.4 and though it's a little tight [planning on getting something wider soon] and people claim it's sluggish, I have no problems keeping up using that.

No problems for me with toddlers - I don't use tracking though, single shot af is fine most of the time, although I'd recommend one of the faster focusing lenses for this purpose e.g. 35/2, 23/2, 50/2, 90/2, 18-55/2.8-4, 55-200/3.5-4.8. With the latest generation cameras, even the first gen lenses (18/2, 35/1.4, 60/2.4) perform to a decent standard, AF wise.

The 27/2.8 actually focuses reasonably quickly, and my wife managed with just an X-M1 and 27/2.8 for all her toddler / baby shots for 18 months or so until she upgraded. She is now employed as a family tog off the back of her 27mm work, amazingly, albeit she has to shoot with a D810 now (X-T1 at home though :)).

Mine are still at the hyper stage but I rather have more shots of them rather than leaving my current workhorse D750 at home all the time due to the weight and my hefty lenses. I was tempted by the 1.4 but thinking either the 23mm f2 or 35 f2 to get me going and to compliment the 18-55 if I can find a good copy. My main shots would just be environmental portraits of them playing together or when visiting places such as the park, restaurant etc. The X-T1 price has now got to a stage where it's looking tempting over a M43 setup which I originally wanted for video.

I use an X-T1 to shoot a slightly hyperactive toddler. My experience is that the tracking is a bit inconsistent. In some situations it's 90% reliable and on a par with my 5D3. In others it struggles to keep up. Initially I thought it was to do with light levels, but in my experience I think it's actually more to do with subject/background separation distance. Other folk on here will no doubt have more substantive understanding.

I've adjusted to trying to anticipate shots using one shot focusing (e.g pre-focussing on the space my daughter is about to run through).

In general though, the biggest factor is I carry my X-T1 at least twice as often as I did my Canon 5d Mk 3 - the bulk was just too much given I often carry my daughter in a sling.

I'm pretty impressed with that. Was that processed with Lightroom? Is that with noise reduction? If that's without, it's very smooth.

Mark

Processed in Lightroom CC, remarkable few adjustments, and none to noise reduction, in fact all the adjustment is in the top box except Blue Saturation which was boosted.

Exposure +2.14 - suggesting original could have been exposed more!!! but it was already clipping a little
Highlights -100
Shadows +70
Whites + 15
Blacks -15
Blue Saturation +33

Everything else is the default settings

I do have other examples where the exposure has not got adjusted but the Shadows has been pushed to 100%, I'll try and dig something out, but needless to say the X-Trans3 files can be pushed (or pulled) quite a long way!

Last edited:
i just noticed this on my body, it looks like its missing the textured material on the right hand side. All there is there is a plastic sheet. I thought it was just that anti scratch cover you get on new things, so i peeled it off and all there is underneath is another sticky sheet. Plus you can see the screw marks. Im a bit annoyed as i only just noticed this after owning it for god knows how long :) Anyway, is there anywhere you can buy replacement strips of the proper material that i can stick on in its place?

i just noticed this on my body, it looks like its missing the textured material on the right hand side. All there is there is a plastic sheet. I thought it was just that anti scratch cover you get on new things, so i peeled it off and all there is underneath is another sticky sheet. Plus you can see the screw marks. Im a bit annoyed as i only just noticed this after owning it for god knows how long :) Anyway, is there anywhere you can buy replacement strips of the proper material that i can stick on in its place?

Contact Fuji UK, they will be able to supply it and it will be pre-cut to the correct shape. Just drop them an email, they usually respond quite quickly.

How on earth did that get past quality control?! Did you buy it new? I'm sure Fuji will be able to sort it, as above.

Yeah I got it new. I'm just annoyed it took me this long to notice! I'll send them an email and see what happens.

Tell them this just happened and not that you've just noticed. Good heads up for us all to keep an eye on.
Just out of interest have you been carrying it in bright sun on a hot day ?

Impressive clouds - not everyday you see something like that.

I wonder if it might benefit from the buildings being a little brighter. (it's possible that a boost to the yellows/oranges in the BandW mixer would do the trick).
Thanks Mark, might give that a go.

Far too slow. You should have taken it at f2.8 and had two!:beer:
Well, if you'd read the original post you'd have seen that was with the 18-55.
Now I'm not the most advanced in the technical department, but I know of no-one who can get the "kit" lens to f2.

You only just noticed!? Sucks that this issue is also on the XT-2, it's common enough on the T1. The rubber on the grip of my XT-1 is a little loose near the base, it's just starting, so I looked it up and found loads of instances of the same. Some said they got replacement rubber from Fuji direct, but I can't actually find where. The rubber covering comes in 4 different sections, you can buy them one by one .... if we can find where!

This vlog shows the process for the XT-1 - pretty sure if these exist they will for the XT-2 also, pity he neglected to link exactly where he bought the replacements: https://willbarton.com/blog/2016/09/15/replacing-fuji-xt1-grip.html

Last edited:
Far too slow. You should have taken it at f2.8 and had two!:beer:

Well, if you'd read the original post you'd have seen that was with the 18-55.
Now I'm not the most advanced in the technical department, but I know of no-one who can get the "kit" lens to f2.

Could have sworn that the 18-55 kit lens was f/2.8 (as suggested by Simon) at the short end.

I was about to say is it half full or half empty?
You suvveners probably haven't come across the habit "oop nawf" of buying a gill, or half a pint, to top up a glass.
It was very nice ale!

Back