The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

From a trip to NT Sheffield Park Gardens today.

X-T2, 10-24 f4, handheld.

Sheffield Park by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Quite pleased with this one, but I do have some more coming... :rolleyes:

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, well composed, good colour & exposure, and some nice reflections.(y)

"My only small bit of crit' would have to be that twig/leaf at the top left could do with cloning out"

George.

Susie today in the park, funny really as sometimes I talk to her as if she is human, told her about some bloke and this is the shot taken after ;)

Watching you Susie by David Ore, on Flickr

That's a nice Fujigraph Sir, well composed, nice diagonal angle to the bench, and a good pose for the dog.(y)

George.

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, well composed, good colour & exposure, and some nice reflections.(y)

"My only small bit of crit' would have to be that twig/leaf at the top left could do with cloning out"

George.

Hi George,

I just dropped it onto the iPad, straightened it up and gave the colours a little tweak. Didn't have a clone tool to hand, but may have another look when I load them onto the Mac...

Nice. Did you move the 56mm on?

No, not really :D But I find it a bit slow to focus on kids in less than optimal lighting (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!), so I'll run both for a while. £9.60 cashback from Topcashback as well, let's just hope it arrives now :D

The more I process pictures from Chania, the more I like the X-Transformer Lightroom plugin. I had originally thought it was mainly for landscape shots, to make the most of detail and avoid the wormy effect when sharpening vegetation. But it's not just vegetation, it's stone, rock, even tarmac. A good third of the shots I've processed so far, I've got to the sharpen stage at the end of my workflow, looked at the result and thought, oh no, it's gone weird again. Start again with an X-Transformer version.... The one I just posted is a typical example.

Starting to think I should just batch-process all my candidate shots through X-Transformer at once, and have done. Trouble is, I'm running out of disk space on a 4TB drive... :)

It's a subtle difference on stone surfaces, and nobody would notice it at the sizes we post here. But once you've noticed it, you can't unsee it, and I don't know how big I might want to print one day. Ho hum.

Last edited:
I find lightroom's sharpen masking works pretty good, just Alt-slide and narrow down to what you want sharpened, the rest unaffected. Even with close in detailed macro I find it very effective, and it seems to pick out exactly what I want to sharpen. I think people tend to over sharpen a lot, I don't ever go over 40 tbh.

I find lightroom's sharpen masking works pretty good, just Alt-slide and narrow down to what you want sharpened, the rest unaffected. Even with close in detailed macro I find it very effective, and it seems to pick out exactly what I want to sharpen. I think people tend to over sharpen a lot, I don't ever go over 40 tbh.
That is certainly the best way to use LR sharpening, I agree. My workflow finishes in PS, so I prefer Smart Sharpen these days, and only use LR for a base "capture sharpen" if I use it at all. The problem with the worminess (when it happens) doesn't arise from LR sharpening though, it's the same with any other sharpening tool as far as I can see. It's to do with how LR demosiacs RAF files, and only arises with very detailed textures. So not relevant to portraits, skies or water, for example. What causes it, I have no idea, but X-Transformer seems to avoid the problem rather better.

That is certainly the best way to use LR sharpening, I agree. My workflow finishes in PS, so I prefer Smart Sharpen these days, and only use LR for a base "capture sharpen" if I use it at all. The problem with the worminess (when it happens) doesn't arise from LR sharpening though, it's the same with any other sharpening tool as far as I can see. It's to do with how LR demosiacs RAF files, and only arises with very detailed textures. So not relevant to portraits, skies or water, for example. What causes it, I have no idea, but X-Transformer seems to avoid the problem rather better.

I did try the X-Transformer, and was impressed by it's sharpening, but .... I couldn't see a way to do this without sharpening the whole image? Maybe it's been updated since?

Ok, slight dilemma time, I've been inspired by a photographer here from this parish who mainly shoots everything at focal length of 28mm, and I like it!!

So, do I go out and buy a Fuji XF18mm f/2 lens, or juggle between my XF10-24mm or XF18-55mm lenses I wonder..?? I'll be shooting at f/8 anyway so don't require a faster lens. Size and compactness isn't really a problem...

Any thoughts on this X shooter's......??

Regards;
Peter

Ok, slight dilemma time, I've been inspired by a photographer here from this parish who mainly shoots everything at focal length of 28mm, and I like it!!

So, do I go out and buy a Fuji XF18mm f/2 lens, or juggle between my XF10-24mm or XF18-55mm lenses I wonder..?? I'll be shooting at f/8 anyway so don't require a faster lens. Size and compactness isn't really a problem...

Regards;
Peter

You rush out and buy some new kit of course, what the hell is wrong with you even asking!!!!! :D

Regards;
Peter
I've forsaken all my primes (except the 50mm and legacy glass) and am happily sticking with the 10-24, 18-55, and 55-200 (though I hardly use the latter). Also have a X100F and WCL, for which I sold my beloved X-Pro2. I am content with this setup. For now ...

Regards;
Peter

Yep. Get an original x100 with WCL and see if you can live with it before buying Shane's Leica Q

I did try the X-Transformer, and was impressed by it's sharpening, but .... I couldn't see a way to do this without sharpening the whole image? Maybe it's been updated since?
No, that is an issue. That's why I keep it set to Low and then do most of the sharpening later in PS. But if you I was in LR only, l might well set it to None in XT and do it all in LR. I haven't tried this, but I think it should still get a better result with detailed textures. Happy to do a few experiments if you're interested.

Regards;
Peter
I don't think the 18mm offers any significant advantages over the 18-55, especially not at f/8. Why not just use that? My legacy 28mm lenses never get in the bag these days.

Regards;
Peter

Peter, the performance of the 10-24 is stellar (but you know this). Personally, I think if you were looking to invest in something, I would look at the 23mm f1.4, just to give me the speed at the wide end that the zoom lacks. Also, going out for a day with just that one lens would be a treat in itself. I only stuck the 10-24 on yesterday because the 35 was just too long and I couldn't get the image I wanted (even by zooming with my feet).

Regards;
Peter

The 18mm is not the 'best IQ' Fuji lens, but it depends what you want. If you want ultimate IQ you might be better looking at the 16 (and cropping the centre out to get exactly 28mm FOV), or sticking with the 18-55 or 10-24.

If it is your chosen focal length and you are not going to deviate then the Leica Q should be an option (probably means selling a load of gear to pay for it!), The Leica though is surprisingly chunky, I looked at one a few months ago, but in the end went with X100F+WCL.

I don't think the 18mm offers any significant advantages over the 18-55, especially not at f/8. Why not just use that? My legacy 28mm lenses never get in the bag these days.

:plus1: to that Sir.(y)

George.

Yes, have you viewed Shane's images taken with that Leica Q....? Lovely colours and processing also. wOw

I've never been really impressed with anything Leica related tbh, there's nothing you can't do with other brands. Never desired one, and think the pricing on their gear is ridonkulous. I'd bet he could do very same with the X100F. It's all about the photographer.

I've never been really impressed with anything Leica related tbh, there's nothing you can't do with other brands. Never desired one, and think the pricing on their gear is ridonkulous. I'd bet he could do very same with the X100F. It's all about the photographer.

I think back in the "Rangefinder" film days Sir, Leica really was a cut above everything else. The engineering of those things was absolutely superb, and the optics in my opinion had a certain finesse about them that other optics just didn't have. Nowadays and probably since digital I agree with you completely and honestly don't feel they are any better than any other high end digital camera. From what I've seen, used, and read the Fuji units like for like are easily as good as anything out there and in most cases better. And as you quite rightly say "Its All About The Photographer"(y)

George.

I think back in the "Rangefinder" film days Sir, Leica really was a cut above everything else. The engineering of those things was absolutely superb, and the optics in my opinion had a certain finesse about them that other optics just didn't have. Nowadays and probably since digital I agree with you completely and honestly don't feel they are any better than any other high end digital camera. From what I've seen, used, and read the Fuji units like for like are easily as good as anything out there and in most cases better. And as you quite rightly say "Its All About The Photographer"(y)

George.

I think that some of the glass rendering has a part to play, some lenses are just special, every manufacturer has some (In Fuji's case its the 90mm - IMO), but I think that maybe Leica has a higher percentage of special glass. Also the Monochrom is a fairly unique proposition, if Fuji produced a mono version of 24Mp camera (with no colour array) either X100 or Interchangeable Lens Variant, I would be all over it like a bad rash.

I think that some of the glass rendering has a part to play, some lenses are just special, every manufacturer has some (In Fuji's case its the 90mm - IMO), but I think that maybe Leica has a higher percentage of special glass. Also the Monochrom is a fairly unique proposition, if Fuji produced a mono version of 24Mp camera (with no colour array) either X100 or Interchangeable Lens Variant, I would be all over it like a bad rash.

I think you've got some good points there Sir, but in this day & age I certainly wouldn't be interested in a camera that can only produce mono images regardless of how good it was, and I really do like to work in mono but I would much prefer to have a unit that can produce both. Of course this is only my personal opinion and I dare say many others would think differently.(y)

George.

I think you've got some good points there Sir, but in this day & age I certainly wouldn't be interested in a camera that can only produce mono images regardless of how good it was, and I really do like to work in mono but I would much prefer to have a unit that can produce both. Of course this is only my personal opinion and I dare say many others would think differently.(y)

George.

You will get sharper images across tone (grey level) transitions with no colour array filter. Due to the filter matrix pattern whether Bayer or X-Trans, spacial accuracy is compromised. You will almost certainly get less digital noise at higher ISO's and it is possible that you might get a small benefit in ISO range.

I would still use colour cameras, but would be very happy with a mono only one (as well!!!)

You will get sharper images across tone (grey level) transitions with no colour array filter. Due to the filter matrix pattern whether Bayer or X-Trans, spacial accuracy is compromised. You will almost certainly get less digital noise at higher ISO's and it is possible that you might get a small benefit in ISO range.

I would still use colour cameras, but would be very happy with a mono only one (as well!!!)

I've no doubt that all of that is perfectly correct Sir, but I still wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in a mono only unit.(y)

George.

Last edited:
Back