The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

10-24 gives you more zoom options and IS

12+16 gives more wide aperture options (inc astro possibilities), 16 is also WR so gives a WR option, and 16 is possibly the sharpest lens that Fuji make.

I've got 12, 14, 16 (arriving on Monday) and 18-55, so I guess I've gone for option 2 :D Not sure I'll be keeping all of 12, 14 and 16 though........

True, heres another one.... 16-55mm + samyang 12mm

What do you think of that combo?

Price wise we are looking - 12 (used) + 16 + 18-55 (used) = £930 ish

16-55mm + 12mm (used) = £750

10-24mm + 18-55 (used) = £850

Last edited:
True, heres another one.... 16-55mm + samyang 12mm

What do you think of that combo?

Price wise we are looking - 12 (used) + 16 + 18-55 (used) = £930 ish

16-55mm + 12mm (used) = £750

10-24mm (grey) + 18-55 (used) = £850

If it's the lens for you the 16-55 is the bargain lens on the double cash back (£290) offfer, however it is physically quite big, but is constant F2.8, and WR, but the 18-55 is 2.8 at the wide end as well and has IS

Do you need to fill the gap between 12mm and 18mm, as a low cost option would be Samyang 12mm plus 18-55, a compact option would be 14 + 18-55, share same filter size and hoods as well, and this was my zoom plus WA kit until two weeks ago.

There is no simple answer,it's really down to you, many of the users if this forum are constantly changing kit to find the ideal package, and that's part of the fun of this hobby. Buying and selling s/h often at the same price!! One big advantage at the moment is that if you can find stock at the old price, then the double cashback makes it as cheap or even cheaper s/h (my new 16 has cost be £120 less than a s/h one in a Liverpool retailer), and because of the price rise you are unlikely to loose much money if you want to sell in the future.

Before you rush into it, you need to understand what's important to you with lens selection, it's really easy to buy, but not easy to buy the right lenses!!

Last edited:
What would you go for?

10-24mm + 18-55

or

Samyang 12mm + 16mm 1.4 + 18-55mm

I would opt for the second set personally, the 16mm looks so good and you get that juicy 1.4, I'd probably go for the 55-200 instead of the 18-55 to go with though, or if you don't need the reach the 50mm F2

Last edited:
I would opt for the second set personally, the 16mm looks so good and you get that juicy 1.4, I'd probably go for the 55-200 instead of the 18-55 to go with though, or if you don't need the reach the 50mm F2

Might be a bit costly that combo for me as I would probably want 12mm, 16mm, 23mm then the 55-200 which would mean I may aswell get the 10-24mm and save £500

Nice one :)

A few garden birdies from today:

Coal sniper! by K G, on Flickr

Feeding time by K G, on Flickr

Sparrow [female] by K G, on Flickr

Love these especially the last one.

If it's the lens for you the 16-55 is the bargain lens on the double cash back (£290) offfer, however it is physically quite big, but is constant F2.8, and WR, but the 18-55 is 2.8 at the wide end as well and has IS

Do you need to fill the gap between 12mm and 18mm, as a low cost option would be Samyang 12mm plus 18-55, a compact option would be 14 + 18-55, share same filter size and hoods as well, and this was my zoom plus WA kit until two weeks ago.

There is no simple answer,it's really down to you, many of the users if this forum are constantly changing kit to find the ideal package, and that's part of the fun of this hobby. Buying and selling s/h often at the same price!! One big advantage at the moment is that if you can find stock at the old price, then the double cashback makes it as cheap or even cheaper s/h (my new 16 has cost be £120 less than a s/h one in a Liverpool retailer), and because of the price rise you are unlikely to loose much money if you want to sell in the future.

Before you rush into it, you need to understand what's important to you with lens selection, it's really easy to buy, but not easy to buy the right lenses!!

Ive got the 16-55 and like you say its a big old lens lovely optics though, I use it lot more than my 10-24. Mind you if I was buying again I would probably go for the 18-55.

Opened Heavens by Alan Jones, on Flickr

this however is the work of the 55-200

Thats nice Alan personally really like my 55-200 gives you a nice compact telephoto option.

Your quite right David when i go in to lens correction it recognizes camera and lens and says correction done, but it is not applying it will enter camera and lens manually and update, thanks.

Might be a bit costly that combo for me as I would probably want 12mm, 16mm, 23mm then the 55-200 which would mean I may aswell get the 10-24mm and save £500

This is why the answer to questions like this will be different each time. It depends on the user's needs. I wouldn't make much use of the 10-24, not the wide end of it at least . But I could probably get everything I want done with the 16 and the 55-200 if they were all I ever had.

Last edited:
What would you go for?

10-24mm + 18-55

or

I'm not a huge fan of primes - I usually find I have the wrong FL fitted! So, of your given choices, I'd go for the 2 zooms. However, just to lob another choice in, the 18-135 covers the whole of the gap between the 24 and 100 of the long end of the 10-24 and the 100-400. I have the 18-55 and the 18-135 and it's the 18-135 that lives on the X-T1 (the other 2 zooms mentioned are on an X-Pro 1 and X-T 2 respectively, covering pretty much all bases other than fisheye.) The other advantages of the native zooms are automation and OIS (to name but 2).

What would you go for?

10-24mm + 18-55

or

Horses for courses, but for landscape I intend to buy the 10-24 as soon as finances permit, even though I already own the 12mm and the 18-55. But that's because I like being down on the beach. If you can change primes in comfort and safety, the 12 and 16 might give you slightly better image quality (pretty marginal) and allow opportunities for astro, as others have said. And landscape is not the only reason to own a wide angle, even if it is the most obvious one...

Ashdown House nestled just below the Lambourn Downs.

Ashdown House by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2 & 16-55

What a magical scene! I wonder whether you might have gone a little too far lifting the shadows on the main facade? But I can see why you want to bring out the details as much as possible. And maybe it was just like that, of course :)

Also, since I'm offering unsolicited advice, I might lose a little of the left hand edge, which isn't doing much. But it's a great shot, anyway...

What a magical scene! I wonder whether you might have gone a little too far lifting the shadows on the main facade? But I can see why you want to bring out the details as much as possible. And maybe it was just like that, of course :)

Also, since I'm offering unsolicited advice, I might lose a little of the left hand edge, which isn't doing much. But it's a great shot, anyway...

More advice the better Dave its one of those Ive been struggling with the processing for a while nowhere's a version cropped slightly in the left and less shadow recovery.

Ashdown House take 2 by Graham Norton, on Flickr

More advice the better Dave its one of those Ive been struggling with the processing for a while nowhere's a version cropped slightly in the left and less shadow recovery.

Ashdown House take 2 by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Well they both look great, but this one has the edge for me. Horses for courses, of course... If you want to try anything else, I think maybe colour grading - add a Colour Balance layer in PS, and see what happens if you shift the colour balance of the shadows or the highlights, in very small increments. I think it's pretty much there, but maybe you'll find what you're looking for. The green-magenta axis in particular might be interesting. Generally I just have a play, and see whether things get better or worse. You can always reduce the opacity of the adjustment layer if you think you've overdone it (easy to do!).

First 'proper' photo since getting my X-T20 - haven't had much time to use it since I got it a few weeks ago.

Taken and transferred to my iPad for processing in Snapseed - will get around to processing on my computer at some point.

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Very nice, great use of the mist. I'd be tempted maybe to try a high contrast mono conversion too, it can work really well for minimalist shots like this

I had a trip with my local Mini owners club to Mulgari Automotive today.

They are working on a project to even further customise the Standard JCW hatch. Power, suspension, brakes and both internal & external looks are all modified...

Icon 02 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

You should see their garage... Supercars everywhere. I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!!

I was looking to buy a fuji 16-55 and Harrison camera is the cheapest. They also have advertised you can get 290 back from fuji. Is that right? That brings it down to much cheaper than used ones go for here. I assume that the ones from the refurbishment shop don't qualify as that would be stupid cheap. Anyone know if this is correct?

I think you’ll find cash back is for new lenses only.

I was looking to buy a fuji 16-55 and Harrison camera is the cheapest. They also have advertised you can get 290 back from fuji. Is that right? That brings it down to much cheaper than used ones go for here. I assume that the ones from the refurbishment shop don't qualify as that would be stupid cheap. Anyone know if this is correct?

Make sure that it is in stock, lots of Fuji lenses at Harrison's say 3-5 days (special order) which means that the invoice might be outside the double cash back window

Make sure that it is in stock, lots of Fuji lenses at Harrison's say 3-5 days (special order) which means that the invoice might be outside the double cash back window
I was looking at the 40-150 too and it’s 1400 odd pound with nearly 300off that brings me to 1100 odd then I could flog the teleconverter and I’d have a new lens for 950 or so. Really thinking about getting this tonight.

Another in the Marloes Sands series. Looking through my shots with the 10-24, although quite a few are wider than 18mm, there aren't very many in the 10-14mm range, probably because there was background interest that I wanted to keep reasonably large.

But here's an exception, as I got quite interested in these foreground stones, and willing to let the distant headlands shrink away... Once again, the ability of this lens to resolve detail impresses me.

I haven't processed any of the shots from Newgale yet - maybe those will be wider.

Grave
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Last edited:
Loving your seascapes, Dave. Only crit is that the horizon in this one is slightly skewed - maybe 1-2° anticlockwise would straighten it.

First 'proper' photo since getting my X-T20 - haven't had much time to use it since I got it a few weeks ago.

Taken and transferred to my iPad for processing in Snapseed - will get around to processing on my computer at some point.

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, liking this one very much.(y)

George.

My 23mm f1.4 arrived yesterday, and I've had a brief chance to test it out.

Initial impressions are good. I've extensively used a 50mm f1.4 on a Nikon D800, but I really appreciate, as I thought I might, the wider view of the 35mm equivalent.

A quick test shot in the garden showed that even with minimal physical separation between subject and a dead clematis providing a messy background (square crop to remove the other distractions), the background is really nicely rendered, and a good separation between the two. I definitely see a 56mm joining it soon! I also need to play around with the AF options a bit more.

Lucy, Fuji 23mm f1.4
by James Bull, on Flickr

I have a few commissions in December that will require a tripod, and I love how lightweight and practical this set up is after using DSLRs.

XT2 with Gitzo by James Bull, on Flickr

Edit: I’ve also only had the camera and kit lens for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Loving your seascapes, Dave. Only crit is that the horizon in this one is slightly skewed - maybe 1-2° anticlockwise would straighten it.
Thanks Nod! That's usually the first thing I do in LR, but it does look as though I may have forgotten with this one. Just coming back from a photographic workshop in London but I'll take a look later...

It's only a problem when you run off a few prints and discover the horizon's skewed! (Been there, done that, spent ages with a cutting mat and craft knife making A4 prints a little bit smaller but with straight horizons!!! :wideyed:

It's only a problem when you run off a few prints and discover the horizon's skewed! (Been there, done that, spent ages with a cutting mat and craft knife making A4 prints a little bit smaller but with straight horizons!!! :wideyed:
Ha! Indeed so :). Thanks for the catch, I checked and although it was less than half a degree off (according to LR), it makes a visible difference. The problem was that I didn't want to lose any of the bottom edge, so in the end I skewed the whole image slightly to lose some of the top right instead. Hopefully you won't tell anyone :eggface: :D. I've replaced the one in the original post upthread if you want to see the result. Page refresh may be needed...

Made the mistake of visiting the LCE show today in Southampton...every time I end up lusting over an X100 series cam! This time was even worse though as they had an X-Pro 2 with official grip fitted - wow, that thing handles very nicely in that configuration. And the OVF with EVF window is amazing. Darrrgh someone take my card away :D

Back