The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Guessing that wasn't recent ? Too cold for being on the beach now :D

Thank you kindly Sir, your reply sure is appreciated.(y)

"Correct it was taken a time or two back"

George.

Really nice.

Thanks Graham

Thanks David

"Cracking" Fujigraph Sir, well composed, with some beautiful colours.(y)

"Just one small nit pick though, to me the water level/horizon appears to have a small tilt downwards from left to right"

George.

Thanks George struggled with the horizon on this still not sure to go by the horizon or as I did end doing trying. to make the jetty more straight

Agreed on all counts.

Lovely shot, particularly when the jetty isn't the most pleasant looking. Don't think the hills in the BG help with the horizon looking off either as they run down from left to right also. Probably the smallest of adjustments to do.

Thanks Ian looks light I will have to give I a slight twerk.

Nice Fujigraph Sir, its a time since I've seen this effect and as you say it sure looks better on full screen.(y)

George.

Cheers, it’s actually quite tricky holding the camera steady while turning the zoom ring, though I’m sure easier with some practice and technique...

Thanks Ian looks light I will have to give I a slight twerk.

I'll cue up some Rihanna now... :D

More seriously, I think there's a reasonable chance your camera is actually level, it's just the shoreline. The problem of course is that appearances are what count. Bruce Percy (who you should definitely Google if you haven't seen his landscape work) has been heard to bemoan the invention of the camera spirit level, as he says it stops his students looking carefully enough to realise whether their picture does in fact look level (something I'm very poor at in the field). Anyway, it's probably worth striking a compromise, and hoping that if the jetty is wonky one way and the horizon the other, it will cancel out. :)

So I jumped and bought the XT2 and 23mm f/1.4... Will all be here by the weekend. Coming from my Canon set up, I always wanted a 35mm hence the 23. I have around £600 to spend on one more lens. My old focal lengths were 24-105mm 50mm and 70-200 f/2.8
Any recommendations? I was thinking ,maybe the 56 f/1.2 or the 16-55 2.8?

So I jumped and bought the XT2 and 23mm f/1.4... Will all be here by the weekend. Coming from my Canon set up, I always wanted a 35mm hence the 23. I have around £600 to spend on one more lens. My old focal lengths were 24-105mm 50mm and 70-200 f/2.8

18-55 would be my choice, changing for a lighter set up (I presume) and the 16-55 is a hefty old lump.
After the 24-105 you might also miss the IS, don't be put off by the kit lens label, its really very good

18-55 would be my choice, changing for a lighter set up (I presume) and the 16-55 is a hefty old lump.
After the 24-105 you might also miss the IS, don't be put off by the kit lens label, its really very good

I've heard this quite a bit lately. Is it that good?

I've heard this quite a bit lately. Is it that good?

I think so, not heard anything bad about it which is unusual, plenty of praise though
My only minor gripe would be that the aperture ring could offer a bit more resistance, a few Fuji lenses that could apply to..

I think so, not heard anything bad about it which is unusual, plenty of praise though
My only minor gripe would be that the aperture ring could offer a bit more resistance, a few Fuji lenses that could apply to..

That would save me a few quid (For extra batteries!) I'll have a hunt round to find some images taken with that combo

If you want a zoom as @tijuana taxi says, buy a 18-55 and that will leave you enough left over to get a s/h 55-200 (or the the very cheap but good XC50-230)

If you want a prime, then take your pick from 14/16/35/56/90 depending on what focal lengths you shoot. All will be within budget s/h

I reckon I could live a very happy man with 14/16, 23 and 90

I’ve come from Nikon pro cameras, 24-70, 70-200 etc, and must say I’m really impressed by the 18-55. It’s really worlds apart from the budget Nikon et al offering. The low light capability means I can even use iso 12800, so the need for fast glass for such occasions is somewhat diminished.

37269865-8135-4858-B501-A25F66C802B4.jpeg

Edit: first time using the upload function, and the quality looks pretty rubbish. It's a good photo, really ;)

This was taken for a local paper, generic village square shot, with the 18-55 and iso 12800.

I also have the 23mm f1.4, and I’m also considering a 56 to create a nice prime set, but for some locations/jobs, a zoom is really handy.

Last edited:
Its a pretty impressive lens! I'm so used to Canon's 18-55 kit lens and dismissing that I didn't even think of this.

If you want a zoom as @tijuana taxi says, buy a 18-55 and that will leave you enough left over to get a s/h 55-200 (or the the very cheap but good XC50-230)

If you want a prime, then take your pick from 14/16/35/56/90 depending on what focal lengths you shoot. All will be within budget s/h

I reckon I could live a very happy man with 14/16, 23 and 90
I agree with comments on the 18-55 - it's a cracking little lens that pops up frequently s/h. That combined with a 14 is my go to travel kit. 55-200 is also vey capable but I do find that the thing about 10cm behind it doesn't seem able to get the best out of it!

You'll get a ton of responses to your question so I'll add to the melee and suggest the 50 f2 as an alternative to the 56 f1.2. It's small and fast and quite bit cheaper.

I'll cue up some Rihanna now... :D

More seriously, I think there's a reasonable chance your camera is actually level, it's just the shoreline. The problem of course is that appearances are what count. Bruce Percy (who you should definitely Google if you haven't seen his landscape work) has been heard to bemoan the invention of the camera spirit level, as he says it stops his students looking carefully enough to realise whether their picture does in fact look level (something I'm very poor at in the field). Anyway, it's probably worth striking a compromise, and hoping that if the jetty is wonky one way and the horizon the other, it will cancel out. :)
Iol the combination of fat fingers, commenting on a phone and not reading what you typed at least makes for interesting reading. Big fan of Bruce's work.
Use to use a hot shoe level but dont anymore tend to go by the camera level and what seems ok thats probaly why lot of my stuff are slighty wonky

Just a test with my old new laptop and Rawtherapee. Old/New is an old Toshiba laptop that had stupid windows on it but got so fed up with slow slow updates I now have a very fast laptop that boots up in less than 15 seconds and I got some nice editing software too, as now have Linux Mint on this one. First time picking up the camera too since my trapped nerve.

Having a Natter by David Ore, on Flickr
I to have mint and RT been on mint for some time and like it very much. RT just started to work with it.

Last edited:
Dave70D said:
Just a test with my old new laptop and Rawtherapee. Old/New is an old Toshiba laptop that had stupid windows on it but got so fed up with slow slow updates I now have a very fast laptop that boots up in less than 15 seconds and I got some nice editing software too, as now have Linux Mint on this one. First time picking up the camera too since my trapped nerve.

i TOO USE LINUX,( MX LINUX) SO TIRED OF THE BLOATWARE THAT WIN 10 SHIPS WITH , BUT MOSTLY CHANGED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO TO USE DARKTABLE AND RAW THERAPEE.

I to have mint and RT been on mint for some time and like it very much. RT just started to work with it.

Got to say it will be fun learning RT again, as I think it is a very underated piece of software.

Dave70D said:

i TOO USE LINUX,( MX LINUX) SO TIRED OF THE BLOATWARE THAT WIN 10 SHIPS WITH , BUT MOSTLY CHANGED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO TO USE DARKTABLE AND RAW THERAPEE.

After all the trouble with update 1709 on windows 10, I thought enough is enough with using win 10 on the Toshiba I tried Ubuntu first then found Linux Mint and really do like it. I hated win 10 on this laptop and now Linux Mint has really made it a great laptop to use again, and love how quick it updates too.

One more Marloes Sands shot. I looked at my Newgale pics last night for the first time since the trip, and there are indeed some very wide ones... watch this space :)

Eventide
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Erm... The horizon is...

LEVEL!!! :p

I'm always a sucker for seascapes!

I may be bowing out of the Fujifam for a bit, on my way to meet a potential buyer for my gear. I've been offered too good a price to refuse, a hell of a lot more than I'd fetch in classifieds. If it goes through I am going to give the Panasonic G80 a try for a while, I have been using an old Olympus em5 for a couple of weeks and really enjoying it.

I still hope to get an XT-2 some day, and the lenses I would love to go with, right now Fuji is just above my budget.

I'll still be checking in here as it's one of the better threads for image activity ;)

And, I guess if the deal doesn't work out you'll be stuck with me a little longer :wacky::ROFLMAO:

Cheers Nod! Your scrolling tip to check the the horizon is actually really good and quick... have used it once already :)

Easiest on a touchscreen laptop, although the wonky one was spotted on the desktop when the horizon ended up a couple of millimetres below the top of the window (at one end!)

Has anyone had both the xt1 and x100t? How does the x100f af speed compare is it any faster than the xt1?

The last beach on my Pembrokeshire trip was the mighty Newgale - a good place for a wide angle, although I did have to change to the 18-55 at one point, as there was some interesting stuff involving distant ships, and that was the longest lens I brought to the beach.

This one is almost monochrome...duochrome? It's actually a vertical stitch of two images at 11.5mm, because I wanted a bit more sky and a 5x4 aspect ratio.

Inner space
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Folkestone Kent UK of some folk enjoying the sea view. This snap will also be part of a crazy personal project I'm working on.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/600th @ F8, ISO-200, Handheld
Faceless (3)-03041 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Rally like you street stuff George.

I may be bowing out of the Fujifam for a bit, on my way to meet a potential buyer for my gear. I've been offered too good a price to refuse, a hell of a lot more than I'd fetch in classifieds. If it goes through I am going to give the Panasonic G80 a try for a while, I have been using an old Olympus em5 for a couple of weeks and really enjoying it.

I still hope to get an XT-2 some day, and the lenses I would love to go with, right now Fuji is just above my budget.

I'll still be checking in here as it's one of the better threads for image activity ;)

And, I guess if the deal doesn't work out you'll be stuck with me a little longer :wacky::ROFLMAO:
The E-M5 was my favourite m4/3 camera when I ran Olympus, extensively till 2014. Preferred it to the E-M1 which I also owned.

Derwent Fells

Derwent Fells by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Taken with what seems my go to combo Fuji X-T2 and 16-55.
Love the composition, Graham (you always excel at that!) and there's a great feeling of depth, but to my eye the yellows and especially the greens look oversaturated. Maybe the yellows could benefit from a slight push towards orange as well, but that's more a question of what you intended. Alternatively, I need to recalibrate my monitor :)

Back