The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Unboxed and had a play on my first Fuji Camera (XT-20). So far, love it, although it will take some getting used to coming from a Canon 70D. I hope it will be ok coming up with the occasional question in here (simple ones most likely).

Now going to carry on reading back through some of these pages. Also thinking about a grip but the Fuji one seems a bit pricey at the moment.

Looking forward to getting out with it over the weekend & hopefully get some nice weather for once.
Welcome to the club :)

Any questions you have, have a quick search or fire away in here. There are no stupid questions!

Re: the grip, access to the classifieds may be beneficial ;)

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian.

Although I understand the basics now, I feel completely new to it all again switching systems. I’ll soon pick it up, I’m sure!

Just been in there and found a case which I think will work nicely.

Unboxed and had a play on my first Fuji Camera (XT-20). So far, love it, although it will take some getting used to coming from a Canon 70D. I hope it will be ok coming up with the occasional question in here (simple ones most likely).

Now going to carry on reading back through some of these pages. Also thinking about a grip but the Fuji one seems a bit pricey at the moment.

Looking forward to getting out with it over the weekend & hopefully get some nice weather for once.

That’s a result in my book Sir, good to have you around. “ENJOY”.(y)

George.

My favourite 12 images from 2017. All with Fuji gear, mostly the XT1:
Best of 2017 by Ian, on Flickr

That’s really great way of presenting your fav’ 2017 Fujigraphs Sir, remember and like most of these.(y)

George.

Last edited:
Guys am I daft in thinking that the 80mm macro might be a great portrait lens? I was thinking that the focal length is perfect and the image stabilisation is a God send. I am thinking that I could replace the 90 with it.

I know it's not been out long but it's sure to be super sharp and it's got me really thinking that this paired with the 16-55 could be very useful for weddings especially with macro bargain capabilities for rings etc.

Welcome to Fuji land. Personally i think the X-T20 is the best value body you can get in the Fuji range.

Guys am I daft in thinking that the 80mm macro might be a great portrait lens? I was thinking that the focal length is perfect and the image stabilisation is a God send. I am thinking that I could replace the 90 with it.

I know it's not been out long but it's sure to be super sharp and it's got me really thinking that this paired with the 16-55 could be very useful for weddings especially with macro bargain capabilities for rings etc.

I've not even seen an 80mm but I can say that the Canon 100 macro was my preferred portrait lens and I sold my 85/1.2 once I had bought it. One thing to consider is that sharpness isn't always what you want in a portrait lens (though the 90 is sharp to start with so maybe this isn't as relevant as if you were considering losing the 56). I do find the 90 pretty quick to focus and don't know if the 80 is going to be a little slow. A lot depends on how you work with portraits. Most of mine are posed so AF speed isn't an issue.

Last edited:

I have the 80mm, and reading is some places that the "bokeh" isn't to everybody's liking. If I get a chance I try and take a couple of shots today to give you an idea what it looks like. You may have to make do with either a soft toy or our rabbit, as I don't have any models around the house (unfortunately)....

So, 3 very quick shots taken in natural light in my lounge @ f2.8, ISO 1600.

Into LR, I had to add a bit of exposure as they were a tad dark, resized and exported. No sharpening or noise reduction.

Apologies for the subject, but Morris is the Mini Club's mascot, and he's coming away with us to Thailand to add to his travels, so he was readily available :)

DSCF5648.jpg DSCF5649.jpg DSCF5650.jpg

I thnk the bokeh looks fine, but then I don't have a 90mm of 56mm to compare it with. It will be used next week at a wedding while I am away, that will be a better test.

Last edited:
So, 3 very quick shots taken in natural light in my lounge @ f2.8, ISO 1600.

Into LR, I had to add a bit of exposure as they were a tad dark, resized and exported. No sharpening or noise reduction.

Apologies for the subject, but Morris is the Mini Club's mascot, and he's coming away with us to Thailand to add to his travels, so he was readily available :)

View attachment 117596 View attachment 117597 View attachment 117598

I thnk the bokeh looks fine, but then I don't have a 90mm of 56mm to compare it with. It will be used next week at a wedding while I am away, that will be a better test.
Thanks very much mate. That was a great help. I don't think the bokeh looks bad at all. I do have the 56 and 90 so I'll give them a wee test later with a similar subject and see.

I was reading last night that it's really snappy for focusing. Have you found that to be the case?

Regards

Scott

Quite chuffed with these, they were taken about 20 minutes after me and a mate had to go and drag a little girl out of the water yesterday. Her dad or bloke who was with her tried taking the WOW shot, and stood still when a bloody great wave hit her and me and my mate got soaked through getting her out. The mind boggles when fools put them selfs or others in danger :(

Stormy Waters by Dave, on Flickr

Stormy Brighton by Dave, on Flickr

Quite chuffed with these, they were taken about 20 minutes after me and a mate had to go and drag a little girl out of the water yesterday. Her dad or bloke who was with her tried taking the WOW shot, and stood still when a bloody great wave hit her and me and my mate got soaked through getting her out. The mind boggles when fools put them selfs or others in danger :(

Good shots and well done for coming to the rescue.

Thanks very much mate. That was a great help. I don't think the bokeh looks bad at all. I do have the 56 and 90 so I'll give them a wee test later with a similar subject and see.

I was reading last night that it's really snappy for focusing. Have you found that to be the case?

Regards

Scott
Took a couple of shots of a Christmas ornament with the tree lights behind and immediately noticed that the bokeh balls with the 90 at f2 are nice and round but the 56 at f2 are hexagonal. This is to be expected with the aperture rings but I also noticed that at f1.2 they're a bit oblong.

Liking those two Fujigraphs Sir, and good on you for your & your friends actions.:beer:(y)

George.

Regards

Scott

Yep, definitely a bit of a "Billy Whizz" when it comes to focusing. It will be interesting to see how it performs with the 1.4TC attached. It's quite big, but not as heavy as it looks, and it's coming with me to Thailand next week, where I'm shooting a wedding for my Neice - that will be a test too, for me, not just the lens! :eek:

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at London (St James's Park) UK of a young lady sitting in the park taking notes.
I did actually post a mono version of this snap and it was suggested that I did a colour version, so here it is.

X-T2, 55-200mm Lens, 1/180th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Notes In The Park (C)-03172C by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Nicely taken photo George, could be taking notes for the Nikon.

Hi Matt, you won`t regret coming to Fuji from the 70D also look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Regards

Scott

You have the 90 and 56 which are the two best Fuji lenses for portraits. The 80mm macro will do a decent job for portraits, although it’s possibly unflatteringly too sharp, but ultimately a full frame equivalent 120mm at f4 will not render as nicely as the two lenses you already have. If you check the bokeh where the background is busier it just doesn’t look as nice. The 56, 90 and 50-140 all render far smoother and rounder bokeh balls.

Some more foresty shenanigans...

The Track by Ash Smith, on Flickr
I like the colour pallette on this... I just feel I need to see a bit more up top... Maybe shot from lower but pointed up a little to bring the "horizon" down and capture a little more up top... But you know what they say about opinions... ;)

On an unrelated note, I've only just seen the connection between the words horizon and horizontal... At 34 years of age...
Dont do drugs kids.

Back