The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I was worried before our local airshow, so I traded some lenses for the X-T20 + XC 160-50mm and XC 50-230mm then so many weeks later I got some of my best shots in many years, some of them the best ever.

Thanks for the replies Dave.

Purchased the XT-20 with the 18-55mm XF lens. Very much looking forward to trying it although I can sometimes get a bit stressed out learning how new electronic items work :)

The 90mm is a stunner:

That is lovely.

Cheers George! Happy New Year to you too! It's a tribute to how baffling the parking meters of Oxford are that the bloke in the bottom right was standing more or less still over a 10 second exposure :)

I know that feeling, in the Hythe bridge street car park there is a homeless chap who must make a few bob by helping people operate the machines.

One from a while back Loch Lomond just before sunrise

Loch Lomond Sunrise by Graham Norton, on Flickr

X-T2 & 16-55

Lovely shot Graham, I particularly like how the distant hills become abstract shapes. The only way this could be better would be if you could have got high enough to separate the pier from the background, but that's often the way. I'm increasingly of the opinion that the ultimate accessory for landscape photography is a large stepladder with an Arca-Swiss ball head on top... :)

Guys I’m going to be shooting a few weddings with another photographer and it got me thinking responsibly about my gear and I was thinking a should probably rejig my set up. Currently I have an xt2, 18-55, 56 and 90. I was thinking two bodies are essential so I am going to go for either one of these

xt1 x 2
50-140
18-55

Or

xt2 & xt1
18-55

Could also go with the 23 and either the 56 or 90 with two bodies.

Anyone see a difference in image quality from the xt1 to the xt2?

Lovely shot Graham, I particularly like how the distant hills become abstract shapes. The only way this could be better would be if you could have got high enough to separate the pier from the background, but that's often the way. I'm increasingly of the opinion that the ultimate accessory for landscape photography is a large stepladder with an Arca-Swiss ball head on top... :)

Cheers David totally agree with you about the separation or lack of it, I can't get the picture of a landscape tog carrying a 30ft stepladder on their back.

Guys I’m going to be shooting a few weddings with another photographer and it got me thinking responsibly about my gear and I was thinking a should probably rejig my set up. Currently I have an xt2, 18-55, 56 and 90. I was thinking two bodies are essential so I am going to go for either one of these

xt1 x 2
50-140
18-55

Or

xt2 & xt1
18-55

Not really you have more resolution and the AF is better on the X-T2 and the joystick but that's about it.

Thanks for the replies Dave.

Purchased the XT-20 with the 18-55mm XF lens. Very much looking forward to trying it although I can sometimes get a bit stressed out learning how new electronic items work :)

48 Juicy by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I'm sure you won't regret your choice of the 18-55 lens. This was taken yesterday for my '52' project and is handheld with that lens at the minimum focusing distance. I've only had my Fuji for a couple of months and am still getting used to it, but this little lens has been rock solid with whatever I've tried.

As an aside, I've just had it pointed out to me that the ISO was 2500. I had been trying out the Auto ISO for the first time and forgot it was still on, but the image was so clean to process that it never crossed my mind to even look for noise. You Fuji veterans may be used to it, but I thought I'd just share :)

Last edited:

xt1 x 2
50-140
18-55

Or

xt2 & xt1
18-55

I've only done a couple of weddings so not massively experienced but I'll chuck my own view point in anyway. I'd personally either want two identical bodies or two that are so different that you'll never mistake one for the other. I think it would be frustrating shooting an XT1 and an XT2 simply because of the AF joystick (and maybe some other more minor things) on the XT2 and not the XT1. I think you'd be forever trying to move the AF point with the wrong control. Unless you set up the D pad on the XT2 to move AF point but then you have far fewer Fn button options. So I'd probably lean towards option 1. Lens choice is going to come down to what your role on the day is and how you like to shoot. Again, personally, I'd probably go 23 on one and 50-140 on another. Maybe a wider option on stand by in the bag but obviously £££'s.

Not normally a video person but thought I'd try out the X-T2 video and have encountered an issue.

I'm shooting 1080p 60fps as my imac is not a 4k screen so doesn't seem worth going higher.

When I import everything from card into Lightroom Classic, I'm getting an error message relating to the video .mov file along the lines of:

"An unknown error has occurred while reading the video file. Connecting to Dynamic Link server failed. (1)"

Video doesn't get imported, though I can play it directly from the memory card using VLC or quick movie so file itself seems fine.

I realise I don't have to use Lightroom but I find it ideal for cataloging video files, if not editing them.

Well, looks like I'm on my own on this one. Can't find anything on the old Googliser either. Tried all video resolutions, same problem. Oddly though, I can import videos via Lightroom CC but not LR classic. How odd. At least I have a temporary work around while I find a more convenient answer.

Well, looks like I'm on my own on this one. Can't find anything on the old Googliser either. Tried all video resolutions, same problem. Oddly though, I can import videos via Lightroom CC but not LR classic. How odd. At least I have a temporary work around while I find a more convenient answer.
I downloaded some HD footage but as you say, it didn't play as it should have done via LR Classic. In short, it imported and even played but was very 'jumpy'.

My plan was to try again via some other software.

I downloaded some HD footage but as you say, it didn't play as it should have done via LR Classic. In short, it imported and even played but was very 'jumpy'.

My plan was to try again via some other software.

Interesting. My issues is actually that Lightroom classic won't import video at all from X-T2. At least not via card reader. Not tried via cable yet. I get an error message. LR CC imports them okay. As you say, LR is rubbish for playing video back though I find it very useful for at least cataloging them and finding them later. They seem to play fine in VLC or quick movie player. Footage is really nice. Might actually start using it for family video a little.

48 Juicy
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I'm sure you won't regret your choice of the 18-55 lens. This was taken yesterday for my '52' project and is handheld with that lens at the minimum focusing distance. I've only had my Fuji for a couple of months and am still getting used to it, but this little lens has been rock solid with whatever I've tried.

As an aside, I've just had it pointed out to me that the ISO was 2500. I had been trying out the Auto ISO for the first time and forgot it was still on, but the image was so clean to process that it never crossed my mind to even look for noise. You Fuji veterans may be used to it, but I thought I'd just share :)

That's a nice Fujigraph Ma'am, with some fine detail and good colours.(y)

"Nothing wrong with the 18-55mm lens, I personally prefer mine to my 16-55mm which seldom gets used"

George.

Last edited:

xt1 x 2
50-140
18-55

Or

xt2 & xt1
18-55

i used the 90mm quite often for outdoor shots at weddings and then the 56mm inside.
personally i'd add a couple of fast primes to your bag -23mm 1.4 and/or 35mm 1.4. if budget allows perhaps consider the 16-55 f2.8 over the 18-55.

the x-t2 and x-t1 are a good combo for bodies.

i used the 90mm quite often for outdoor shots at weddings and then the 56mm inside.
personally i'd add a couple of fast primes to your bag -23mm 1.4 and/or 35mm 1.4. if budget allows perhaps consider the 16-55 f2.8 over the 18-55.

the x-t2 and x-t1 are a good combo for bodies.
I wouldn't be able to add to what I have by too much as I've left full time employment to study and the pennies are tighter than normal.

I suppose I just thought that the 50-140 would cover a few focal lengths and could be used at pretty slow shutter speeds with the os where as the 90 indoors I imagine I'll be ramping up the ISO to get sharp images.

The 16-55 and 90 combo might work though. That'll cover a fair few bases too.

I wouldn't be able to add to what I have by too much as I've left full time employment to study and the pennies are tighter than normal.

I suppose I just thought that the 50-140 would cover a few focal lengths and could be used at pretty slow shutter speeds with the os where as the 90 indoors I imagine I'll be ramping up the ISO to get sharp images.

The 16-55 and 90 combo might work though. That'll cover a fair few bases too.

the 50-140 is obviously more versatile -but if you shop around for used glass you might be able to get the 16-55 and the 90 for the price of the 50-140. then use the 56mm for low light stuff.
grab a speed light too

xt1 x 2
50-140
18-55

Or

xt2 & xt1
18-55

I rarely shoot weddings (although I'm doing one in Thailand next week) but from personal experience I would not want 2 different bodies. When I had a T1 & a T2, my wife would use the T1 and ask "how doe I do.....?" and I just couldn't get used to the old menu after shooting on a T2. Also, as has been pointed out, the lack of a joystick on the T1 after being used to one is very noticeable. 2 identical bodies set up the same is the way forward. The T2 will also give you a good option for video too.

On the lens front, a 23 or 35 f1.4 really is a must. I understand why you thought about the 50-140, but as also mentioned, a 90mm f2 would be better, and that big zoom is very heavy to lug around all day.

So, I know I said normal service had been resumed and all the tree hugging would stop... well it sort of hasn't. I keep coming back to my silver birch pic and I've just sold a print of it (the first print I've sold) so that style and processing have gotten into my head - at least partially inspired by the work of Jordan Taylor Wright. I've been revisiting some of the other foresty images of mine and reworking them to try and capture that same moody feel... The first one is this one of the Wigwam...

Wigwam 2 by Ash Smith, on Flickr

I rarely shoot weddings (although I'm doing one in Thailand next week) but from personal experience I would not want 2 different bodies. When I had a T1 & a T2, my wife would use the T1 and ask "how doe I do.....?" and I just couldn't get used to the old menu after shooting on a T2. Also, as has been pointed out, the lack of a joystick on the T1 after being used to one is very noticeable. 2 identical bodies set up the same is the way forward. The T2 will also give you a good option for video too.

On the lens front, a 23 or 35 f1.4 really is a must. I understand why you thought about the 50-140, but as also mentioned, a 90mm f2 would be better, and that big zoom is very heavy to lug around all day.
I used to have the 135L canon and loved it. I also loved the 75mm Olympus so it's definitely a focal length I use. I've been reading though that various pros recommend using the 90 at a shutter speed of 4x the focal length but I think it'd be almost impossible to get 360th second indoors at any wedding. That's why I thought about the 50-140. I reckon I could get sharp shots at around 100th which would be very useful indoors. Decisions decisions.

Can anyone reccomend a flash for the X-T2. There doesnt seem to be that many options from what Ive seen and they are all very expensive. The Fuji EF-X500 is as much as some of the lenses!

Trying to balance out the tree hugging...

v2

https://500px.com/photo/241104067/30-st-mary-axe-by-ash-smith

xt1 x 2
50-140
18-55

Or

xt2 & xt1
18-55

I've only shot one Fuji wedding, but the lenses I used most were the 56/1.2, 90/2 and 18-55/2.8-4. I shot with the X-T20 and X-T10 and had no issues as they have the same controls. 2 x refurb or grey X-T20 bodies would give you an easier time with pp (I have different sharpening presets for X-Trans II and X-Trans III).

Food for thought! Definitely wouldn't ditch the 56 or 90 though. They are both perfect for the outside shots.

Just to butt in, I do no sharpening at all (unless LR applies summat automatically) on X-Trans III files.
Having processed a small amount, I have to say it does appear to do very little, if not make the image worse. If anything, I may introduce some sharpening/clarity around eyes etc where needed.

Unboxed and had a play on my first Fuji Camera (XT-20). So far, love it, although it will take some getting used to coming from a Canon 70D. I hope it will be ok coming up with the occasional question in here (simple ones most likely).

Now going to carry on reading back through some of these pages. Also thinking about a grip but the Fuji one seems a bit pricey at the moment.

Looking forward to getting out with it over the weekend & hopefully get some nice weather for once.

Back