The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Folkestone Kent UK of a very common sight these days of someone totally engrossed in their cell phone texting.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/300th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Texting (4)-03070 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.
Vety well seen, taken and processed. I don't often comment on candid street photography, though I accept that often it can be a useful depiction of current social history for future generations. This one in particular has such a use as it shows the current obsession/attraction/dependence on pocket electronic devices. And current clothing trends!

Vety well seen, taken and processed. I don't often comment on candid street photography, though I accept that often it can be a useful depiction of current social history for future generations. This one in particular has such a use as it shows the current obsession/attraction/dependence on pocket electronic devices. And current clothing trends!

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate your reply and your in depth comments.(y)

George.

Another revisited image from Eigg. This one isn't quite so dark, has much better WB and a few other improvements too, The original was a right mess...

Into the sunset (revised)
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Really good Fujigraph Sir, love the comp’ and colours with a beautiful sky.(y)

“Agree with the last comment about that bright light being cloned out”

George.

Now I have my Lightroom Mojo back, I revisited one of my shots from this summer's trip to Scotland.

This is one of the peaks at Glencoe. The original lacked colour, was hazy, and didn't look appealing at all.

DSCF3291 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Very nice quality Fujigraph Sir, good colour with plenty of detail.(y)

George.

Lovely sunset but what's that bright light - perhaps a bit of cloning is needed??

Really good Fujigraph Sir, love the comp’ and colours with a beautiful sky.(y)

“Agree with the last comment about that bright light being cloned out”

George.

Thats very nice David a lovely sunset but what helps to make it is the leading line provided by the road.

So inspirational. Makes me want to drive there right now.

Thanks all four, very kind and much appreciated! As regards the light, it was actually a very dark scene needing a 30s exposure at f/5.6, hence the building's light is very visible. I quite liked having something for the road to lead *to*, but as the weight of opinion is against it, I'm persuaded it may be worth a fix... :)

Thanks all four, very kind and much appreciated! As regards the light, it was actually a very dark scene needing a 30s exposure at f/5.6, hence the building's light is very visible. I quite liked having something for the road to lead *to*, but as the weight of opinion is against it, I'm persuaded it may be worth a fix... :)

I understand now why you left the light in the shot Sir, lateral thinking on your part that I missed.(y)

George.

So inspirational. Makes me want to drive there right now.
By the way, I'm pleased to have inspired you, but alas driving there is not possible. For one thing, you have to get the ferry, and for another, you're not allowed to bring a car on to the island unless you're a resident! Makes the roads nice and quiet though...

I understand now why you left the light in the shot Sir, lateral thinking on your part that I missed.(y)

George.
Very kind, George! I'm always good at thinking of reasons not to do work :) But I've cloned it out. If you click on the picture above, you should see the revised version.

My first thought was that it was a guiding light so understood why you left it in.

Fast Focusing Lenses etc.

I am seriously tempted by an X-T2, loving the images I see on here. But I have a couple of questions I'd like to chuck out to the knowledgeable forumistas we have here, who have experience of the camera and lenses. reviews on the web do seem a bit contradictory or don't really major on the areas that would bother me.

A bit of background to explain what I'm hoping to get out of the X-T2...
I've got a 5D3, 24-70L, 50 & 85mm f/1.8s that I use for 1. Anime/Cosplay conventions 2. Heritage (and modern) Railway images where I've planned to go out and take pictures 3. Motorsport photos (with 70-200L / 70-300L)
I picked up an 80D with the kit 18-135 for when I wanted something smaller than the 5D3 (I also have a tamron 17-50), but to be honest, it's not much smaller. I do pair this with a 150-500 for air shows (and Silverstone) for the 'Crop Factor' (let's not have that "discussion" here).
So these two cameras will be staying, as they both have their niches.

I'm really after a camera that is smaller than the 80D, so I can carry it about more often, but that still has good image quality and can quickly focus on moving subjects.

I had a play with the X-T2 in Jessops and it is certainly smaller than the 80D. (Although with the 18-55, not massively smaller). It certainly 'seemed' to focus quickly enough in the shop. I tried the 35mm f/2 prime too, and it didn't seem a slouch.
What are the other lenses like for focus acquisition and tracking?
How does the 18mm pancake do? (it would certainly reduce the size of the camera).
Do the 18-55 kit and 35mm f/2 really track and acquire focus well in the real world? Or would I have to budget for the 16-55 f/2.8 (which would reduce the benefit of the smaller size).
And finally (although this contradicts the size thing and are unlikely unless the X-T2 really blows the canon's away), what are the 50-140 and 55-200s like for tracking and acquisition.

I have aNikon D750, 500 and bought an Xt-20 for the small form factor.
I have the 18-55 and several F2 lenses. I find the camera/lens balance just fine with these lenses.
I don’t use it for tracking. I would use the D500 for that.
The F2 primes are quick enough to focus. The 18-55 slightly slower.
I think it is horses for courses. Xt with zoom is a high quality walk around. I use the F2 for images of our granddaughter. She moves around pretty quickly.
Others with XT2 might have different views and experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: LC2
I really should be more organised with my processing, I really need to finish processing outings before I jump to another one.
One from last year at Luss on Loch Lomond

Lodge with a view by Graham Norton, on Flickr

X-T2 & 10-24
I'm guilty for this. I also have many which should have been culled and still on my HD. I'm dreading going through the lot tbh.

Oh, that's a belter btw. Love the sky, shoreline and the lights in/on the lodges have been well managed.

Last edited:
Fast Focusing Lenses etc.

I am seriously tempted by an X-T2, loving the images I see on here. But I have a couple of questions I'd like to chuck out to the knowledgeable forumistas we have here, who have experience of the camera and lenses. reviews on the web do seem a bit contradictory or don't really major on the areas that would bother me.

A bit of background to explain what I'm hoping to get out of the X-T2...
I've got a 5D3, 24-70L, 50 & 85mm f/1.8s that I use for 1. Anime/Cosplay conventions 2. Heritage (and modern) Railway images where I've planned to go out and take pictures 3. Motorsport photos (with 70-200L / 70-300L)
I picked up an 80D with the kit 18-135 for when I wanted something smaller than the 5D3 (I also have a tamron 17-50), but to be honest, it's not much smaller. I do pair this with a 150-500 for air shows (and Silverstone) for the 'Crop Factor' (let's not have that "discussion" here).
So these two cameras will be staying, as they both have their niches.

I'm really after a camera that is smaller than the 80D, so I can carry it about more often, but that still has good image quality and can quickly focus on moving subjects.

I had a play with the X-T2 in Jessops and it is certainly smaller than the 80D. (Although with the 18-55, not massively smaller). It certainly 'seemed' to focus quickly enough in the shop. I tried the 35mm f/2 prime too, and it didn't seem a slouch.
What are the other lenses like for focus acquisition and tracking?
How does the 18mm pancake do? (it would certainly reduce the size of the camera).
Do the 18-55 kit and 35mm f/2 really track and acquire focus well in the real world? Or would I have to budget for the 16-55 f/2.8 (which would reduce the benefit of the smaller size).
And finally (although this contradicts the size thing and are unlikely unless the X-T2 really blows the canon's away), what are the 50-140 and 55-200s like for tracking and acquisition.

I switched from Nikon to X-T2 shortly before Christmas so I'm about a month in. My biggest concern by far before making the move was the focus tracking side of things. I have to say I'm very happy but there are some things to bare in mind. Firstly some lenses are quite slow and would not be able to keep up with certain action. The 18-55 and 35mm f/2 are fine. The 18mm I'm not sure though my assumption would be that it will be a bit slow going by performance of some other older lenses on the system. Any of the most recent lenses are lighting fast as a general rule. The 16mm 1.4 is very quick if you need something wide.

Other thing to mention is that the AF tracking is very sensitive to how it is set. This caught me off guard a bit as on my old Nikons I could use the same AF settings regardless of the subject. On the X-T2, I have a function button set to choose how AF-C responds and it makes a huge difference to keeper rate. When you're in the correct mode for your subject (which you get the hang of pretty quickly) and have a fast focussing lens, it's as good, if not better than any other camera I've used. Motorsport will be no problem. My toughest subject is my two young kids in full flight and 35mm f/2 does really well with them. Only real shortcoming I can think of with regards to AF is that it is not so good in very low light.

I didn't find the 55-200 that brilliant in terms of focus speed. I mentioned it a few pages back. Seems others are fairly happy with it but I found it a little frustrating. I'm about to aquire a 50-140 to replace it so will report back on how I get on with that.

By the way, if you're used to back button focussing, it works pretty well now that you can use the rear command dial to operate the AF. Of the three buttons on the back that could be used for that, the command wheel is by far the easiest to use. Sounds strange but works really well.

I really should be more organised with my processing, I really need to finish processing outings before I jump to another one.
One from last year at Luss on Loch Lomond

Lodge with a view by Graham Norton, on Flickr

X-T2 & 10-24

Beautiful Fujigraph Sir, good comp', lovely light & colours, and some nice reflections.(y)

George.

I switched from Nikon to X-T2 shortly before Christmas so I'm about a month in. My biggest concern by far before making the move was the focus tracking side of things. I have to say I'm very happy but there are some things to bare in mind. Firstly some lenses are quite slow and would not be able to keep up with certain action. The 18-55 and 35mm f/2 are fine. The 18mm I'm not sure though my assumption would be that it will be a bit slow going by performance of some other older lenses on the system. Any of the most recent lenses are lighting fast as a general rule. The 16mm 1.4 is very quick if you need something wide.

Other thing to mention is that the AF tracking is very sensitive to how it is set. This caught me off guard a bit as on my old Nikons I could use the same AF settings regardless of the subject. On the X-T2, I have a function button set to choose how AF-C responds and it makes a huge difference to keeper rate. When you're in the correct mode for your subject (which you get the hang of pretty quickly) and have a fast focussing lens, it's as good, if not better than any other camera I've used. Motorsport will be no problem. My toughest subject is my two young kids in full flight and 35mm f/2 does really well with them. Only real shortcoming I can think of with regards to AF is that it is not so good in very low light.

I didn't find the 55-200 that brilliant in terms of focus speed. I mentioned it a few pages back. Seems others are fairly happy with it but I found it a little frustrating. I'm about to aquire a 50-140 to replace it so will report back on how I get on with that.

By the way, if you're used to back button focussing, it works pretty well now that you can use the rear command dial to operate the AF. Of the three buttons on the back that could be used for that, the command wheel is by far the easiest to use. Sounds strange but works really well.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply :)
I was pondering the 18mm as it's the pancake and thus very small, but the kit lens or 35mm f/2 will do for keeping the size down.
I'm glad to hear they are fast focusing.
I will be interested to hear of your findings with the 50-140 when you get it, in-case I do end up needing/wanting more reach whilst.

I just need to wait for some deals to appear, having missed the £95 cash back by a few days...

Thanks for the comprehensive reply :)
I was pondering the 18mm as it's the pancake and thus very small, but the kit lens or 35mm f/2 will do for keeping the size down.
I'm glad to hear they are fast focusing.
I will be interested to hear of your findings with the 50-140 when you get it, in-case I do end up needing/wanting more reach whilst.

I just need to wait for some deals to appear, having missed the £95 cash back by a few days...

The 35mm f/2 has really impressed me. I'm not really a fan of 50mm effective focal length these days but bought the 35mm because I had a bit of a gap with my lenses between 23 and 50mm and I thought having something so small would be useful. But it's really got under my skin. It's by far the smallest lens I have but just performs so well and it's weather resistant which mean that it gets used sometimes when others cannot. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit pointy! The 18mm and 27mm would just about make the X-T2 pocketable in a coat. The 35mm is tiny but it protrudes a fair bit so not so pocketable. Anyway, that aside, highly recommended by me.

By the way, if you're not adverse to grey imports, take a look at E-Infinity's site. Very keen pricing that might cushion the blow of missing out on the cashback deals. I got my Samyang 12mm from them and was highly impressed.

Last edited:
Where did you get your acrylic mate? Been looking for something like this for a while.

I got it off Amazon from a company called Displaypro. They do a wide range of colours and the A3 size cost me £5.99 delivered. In Amazon, type in "Colour Perspex Acrylic Sheet" and it'll come up.
They're on Ebay too, but it costs £8.08 on there.

I’m looking to rent a 56mm f1.2 prior to buying one. Any recommendations? I’ve looked at Lenses for hire but they don’t have any in. Anywhere else?

Cool thanks, the listing said it came from and old Zenit camera, any further clues? I can wait for it to arrive and measure it but I'm very impatient lol.

Cool thanks, the listing said it came from and old Zenit camera, any further clues? I can wait for it to arrive and measure it but I'm very impatient lol.
Depends on the camera tbh as even Zenit changed their mounts around I think! Can you ask the seller?

That would be the simplest thing! I've sent him a message so will see what he comes back with.

Thanks Ian.

Back