The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Using the XT2 in anger, as in for a paid job. The French boat builder ferried me out to the Isle d'Oloron and wined and dinned me for 4 days while I shot the factory processes, interiors and action shots on a couple of boats for them. These were taken from a small boat that had waves coming over the side, soaking me. Trying to stand and shoot while running with the target boat in those waters was untenable and I nearly went overboard, so we fell back on the method of just keeping our boat head to sea, in the breaking overfalls where the tide builds over the bar and getting the target boat to run up for the shot. I still had to stand, but it is easier when the boat is only riding the waves rather than jumping off them!! It gave me a chance to play with the 50-140.
View attachment 118834

View attachment 118835

View attachment 118836

View attachment 118837

Well you appear to have got to grips pretty well now with camera and lens combo(y)
So pleased your new system is working out for you :)

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Canterbury Kent UK of a Togger taking a shot.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/340th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Togger (8)-03086 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Excellent piece on monochromatic work and a full range of tones

I'm doing a second pass through my Eigg images now that some time has passed, to look for shots that I missed the first time around, or where the processing could be better with hindsight.

This is one of the latter. I processed it as colour the first time but there wasn't a great deal of it. In mono it took some careful attention to get the right compromise between atmosphere and detail, but I'm fairly happy with this version.

Strewn (revised)
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Cracking piece of work !

Excellent piece on monochromatic work and a full range of tones

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate your reply.(y)

George.

I'm doing a second pass through my Eigg images now that some time has passed, to look for shots that I missed the first time around, or where the processing could be better with hindsight.

This is one of the latter. I processed it as colour the first time but there wasn't a great deal of it. In mono it took some careful attention to get the right compromise between atmosphere and detail, but I'm fairly happy with this version.

Strewn (revised)
by David Hallett, on Flickr

"Excellent" Fujigraph Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

has anyone tried the alien skin exposure X3 editor? seems to be getting good feedback for processing fooj RAW files

The last one looks better to me, but I'd prefer the foreground to be a wee bit darker.

Thanks Robert. I actually lighted the foreground as I didn't like the lack of detail.

For information to the Fuji clan, the raw files were merged in Lightroom, and all the editing was done from there. Personally I think this puts to bed the "LR doesn't work with Fuji" myth. It's all about how you handle the files.

Thanks Robert. I actually lighted the foreground as I didn't like the lack of detail.

For information to the Fuji clan, the raw files were merged in Lightroom, and all the editing was done from there. Personally I think this puts to bed the "LR doesn't work with Fuji" myth. It's all about how you handle the files.

I've said this a number of time but at the risk of repeating myself.....

Before the X-Pro2 was released Fuji worked with Adobe to ensure that X-Trans3 was optimised better than previous versions. This was done in conjunction with engineers from both companies, I have had this discussion with two separate people within Fuji UK, and they both have the same story. It was in Fuji's interest that possibly the most popular photo post production software worked well with their cameras.

Unfortunately the previous generations of X-Trans did not receive this treatment, and the issues highlighted over several years have tarnished the X-Trans/Lightroom reputation.

Now that isn't to say that some may prefer other RAW processing tools, at the end of the day its down to personal preference.

I've said this a number of time but at the risk of repeating myself.....

Before the X-Pro2 was released Fuji worked with Adobe to ensure that X-Trans3 was optimised better than previous versions. This was done in conjunction with engineers from both companies, I have had this discussion with two separate people within Fuji UK, and they both have the same story. It was in Fuji's interest that possibly the most popular photo post production software worked well with their cameras.

Unfortunately the previous generations of X-Trans did not receive this treatment, and the issues highlighted over several years have tarnished the X-Trans/Lightroom reputation.

Now that isn't to say that some may prefer other RAW processing tools, at the end of the day its down to personal preference.
X100 for worry free pp :p:p:D:D

Personally I think this puts to bed the "LR doesn't work with Fuji" myth. It's all about how you handle the files.

:plus1: to that Sir, I couldn't agree with you more.(y)

George.

Just a simple candid street style Fujigraph taken at Folkestone Kent UK of a very common sight these days of someone totally engrossed in their cell phone texting.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/300th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Texting (4)-03070 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

I need your help!
I have had my XT2 and 23mm 1.4 since beginning of December. A combination of GAS and a gift of a 5D3 and Sigma 35 ART has wobbled me massively. So much so that I have sold the 23 and the XT2 is in the classifieds. My problem is this: The 5D3 isn't anywhere as intuitive as the Fuji and is much heavier then the Fuji. As I'm a second shooter for a pro wedding tog who uses only Canon I need to know if by staying with Fuji I can replicate his work. His argument is the 5D is a pure workhorse. Weather sealed and robust and FF. I have seen some amazing images on here and I know the Fuji will match the Canon in IQ if you have the right glass. I'm honestly at a cross roads here. Any input would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Nick

I need your help!
I have had my XT2 and 23mm 1.4 since beginning of December. A combination of GAS and a gift of a 5D3 and Sigma 35 ART has wobbled me massively. So much so that I have sold the 23 and the XT2 is in the classifieds. My problem is this: The 5D3 isn't anywhere as intuitive as the Fuji and is much heavier then the Fuji. As I'm a second shooter for a pro wedding tog who uses only Canon I need to know if by staying with Fuji I can replicate his work. His argument is the 5D is a pure workhorse. Weather sealed and robust and FF. I have seen some amazing images on here and I know the Fuji will match the Canon in IQ if you have the right glass. I'm honestly at a cross roads here. Any input would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Nick
Sounds like you've made your mind up already if your T2 is in the classifieds and you've sold your lens?

In terms of output I'd suggest that the Fuji can absolutely do what the Canon can well enough for any wedding client. To do it consistently with the Canon is a other matter as each will have their own feel, pros and cons. Granted editing would get you close. Question is, do you want your own style or someone else's?

I need your help!

Thanks,
Nick

On another forum I also use, some of the wedding shots I have seen are great, even fantastic.

Sounds like you've made your mind up already if your T2 is in the classifieds and you've sold your lens?

In terms of output I'd suggest that the Fuji can absolutely do what the Canon can well enough for any wedding client. To do it consistently with the Canon is a other matter as each will have their own feel, pros and cons. Granted editing would get you close. Question is, do you want your own style or someone else's?
This my feeling exactly. Am i sacrificing my own style for his. I thought I’d made my mind up but I’m not sure now! I can easily pull the ad and by new lenses that’s not an issue. My problem is when I finish as his second at the end of the year will my fuji equipment enable me to continue where I left off? I intend to branch out on my own in 12 months and this gear needs to start paying for itself

This my feeling exactly. Am i sacrificing my own style for his. I thought I’d made my mind up but I’m not sure now! I can easily pull the ad and by new lenses that’s not an issue. My problem is when I finish as his second at the end of the year will my fuji equipment enable me to continue where I left off? I intend to branch out on my own in 12 months and this gear needs to start paying for itself

Is the Wedding tog happy to mix Fuji and Canon files for the same client ?
Your answer might be right there.

https://f16.click/wedding-photography/shooting-weddings-with-fuji.html UK X photographer (and wedding photographer)

Is the Wedding tog happy to mix Fuji and Canon files for the same client ?
Your answer might be right there.
He hasn’t as of yet, but he’s done it before for another tog. And when I told him I’d bought the Fuji he was fine. Obviously he has misgivings as I said before re robustness etc. And his style of PP is almost Fuji like anyway

He hasn’t as of yet, but he’s done it before for another tog. And when I told him I’d bought the Fuji he was fine. Obviously he has misgivings as I said before re robustness etc. And his style of PP is almost Fuji like anyway
As long as it isn't going to cause issue, go with what YOU want.

You just need to have a conversationwith him, you need to be assured that over the coming year he’s going to be absolutely OK with Processing Fuji and Canon together. Things obviously can change.

Your style is not dictated by gear.

If you have to shoot Canon to gain experience, then when you go solo you could switch back if you think it’s worth it.

What you learn will no doubt be very valuable.

Agreed. He’s been good to me, and we’ve shot together a lot and have 11 weddings booked for this year. The plan has always been for me to “fly the nest”’after one year. So he gets a free second shooter and I get invaluable experience. But, I need to be comfortable in what I do and Using the canon is just a bit alien to me after the Fuji. He was over the moon when I bought the Canon obviously, but ultimately it’s me who has to decide and be comfortable with my decision

Agreed. He’s been good to me, and we’ve shot together a lot and have 11 weddings booked for this year. The plan has always been for me to “fly the nest”’after one year. So he gets a free second shooter and I get invaluable experience. But, I need to be comfortable in what I do and Using the canon is just a bit alien to me after the Fuji. He was over the moon when I bought the Canon obviously, but ultimately it’s me who has to decide and be comfortable with my decision

Yep

You’ve got a bit of soul searching to do.
It’s possible/probable to get up to speed pretty quickly if you decide to keep the Canon.
After all...it’s just a camera..

Good luck with whatever you decide..

Yep

You’ve got a bit of soul searching to do.
It’s possible/probable to get up to speed pretty quickly if you decide to keep the Canon.
After all...it’s just a camera..

Good luck with whatever you decide..
Thanks.
Soul searching is the correct phrase in this instance!

Any advice on a flash set up for off camera use? I was photographing an event for my wife last week and whilst the b&w images in Acros look good the colour versions show a loss of detail in keeping with the high ISO I was using. I've never been particularly competent at using flash with previous set ups so have avoided it with the Fuji but last week's experience suggests I might be advised to give it a go. I acknowledge that RAW would have been the way to go but for 'operational reasons' I was using the jpeg film simulations.

Looking for something at the cheaper end (I think the i40 would be absolute max). Any good / bad experiences with the Godox 350 and trigger for example? Amazon have £10 off tonight so might as well pull the trigger (no pun intended!)

Dave

Back