The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I don't really know what it does hence not using it. Will try it when i get chance.

Easy enough really.

If you apply sharpening in Lightroom it sharpens the entire image. So if you've got a blue sky with no detail, it sharpens it and adds artefacts you don't want.

Move the sharpening tool along a bit, then hold down the ALT key and drag the slider to the right and you'll see the selection decrease. The last bits to go are the edges, which is normally all you want to sharpen. Most of the time I'm masking between 70-90% of the image and sharpening the rest.

Last edited:
Nice choice of pics Adrian - the 55-200 really is a fantastic lens. It gets some nice subject isolation and I love its rendering of detail.

Nice! What did you move from to the XT1?

Hi Chris was shooting with the Nikon D750,I really didn't feel any connection with the camera though. Struggled with the controls and everything felt like a battle. The image quality was superb but in the end I wanted the handling and a lighter body overall. I always loved the Fuji X100 and some of my best pictures always seemed to be with that camera so seemed like a sort of natural progression in a sort of sideways kind of way. Bloody expensive though been watching this thread and has already cost me a fortune.

Hi Chris was shooting with the Nikon D750,I really didn't feel any connection with the camera though. Struggled with the controls and everything felt like a battle. The image quality was superb but in the end I wanted the handling and a lighter body overall. I always loved the Fuji X100 and some of my best pictures always seemed to be with that camera so seemed like a sort of natural progression in a sort of sideways kind of way. Bloody expensive though been watching this thread and has already cost me a fortune.

As much as I love the XT1, I don't think it's any easier to control than the D750.

I have both and find the XT1 slows me down much more (which is a good thing when I'm shooting for fun - which is what I use Fuji for)!

I've really enjoyed the experience moving from a dslr to the X-T1. I thought it would be a right ball ache to get used to the aperture ring, iso dial etc. but it has been a dream so far! Not sure if it has slowed me down or not as i just shoot in aperture priority and usually leave the lens wide open so it's pretty much the same as before for me. I'm not sure if the lenses are any better than the Sigma though. The 35mm certainly wasn't. But then i think i was spoiled with that lens. Hopefully the 23 will change my mind.

Tim, if it helps, mines coming tomorrow. :D

As much as I love the XT1, I don't think it's any easier to control than the D750.

I have both and find the XT1 slows me down much more (which is a good thing when I'm shooting for fun - which is what I use Fuji for)!

I think sometimes just want to feel a connection to a camera and with the Nikon something left me cold,probably me just justifying myself :)

I've really enjoyed the experience moving from a dslr to the X-T1. I thought it would be a right ball ache to get used to the aperture ring, iso dial etc. but it has been a dream so far! Not sure if it has slowed me down or not as i just shoot in aperture priority and usually leave the lens wide open so it's pretty much the same as before for me. I'm not sure if the lenses are any better than the Sigma though. The 35mm certainly wasn't. But then i think i was spoiled with that lens. Hopefully the 23 will change my mind.

Tim, if it helps, mines coming tomorrow. :D

I think I prefer to slow down and take my time,yes it is a little slower at focussing than the Nikon D750 but I feel I have made the right decision overall. Fuji do make some beautiful lens though and it is just a nightmare looking at them all. The 23mm ummmm oh dear another want :)

Can't get the 23mm out of my head :(

I love the way the Fuji slows me down to think much more than just snapping away.
23 and 56 were my favourite lenses by a bit. That's not to say I didn't like the 10-24, 14 and 35... ;)

It's mean moving on the 18 and 35, i don't use the 18mm but a bit reluctant to let the 35mm go.

I suppose I need to work to my dream of 10-24, 23, possible 35, 56, 50-140 and the 1.4TC

Atleast u know what lenses u want! I should have a big budget for mine and it's really not helping! Think iv priced up every combination of lenses available!!

My main lens for Fuji are going to be 10-24mm 16-55mm F2.8 & 18-135mm I like my zooms

I think the 50-140mm for me is just a bit to big for me to carry around.

:)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I want! Would love 16-55,50-140, 16,23,56. Have budgeted for that but I don't know If I really need the 2.8 zooms, or if I just get the 18-135 and the primes

Hi Chris was shooting with the Nikon D750,I really didn't feel any connection with the camera though.

I moved from the D750 as well, insanely good camera but I'm much, much happier with my X-T1, not faffing with micro-adjust and squeezing much more kit in my camera bag is great.

As an aside, my Graphite Silver Edition arrived today, I've never been too fussed about how my camera looks but blimey it's a fantastic looking bit of kit.

Last edited:
I moved from the D750 as well, insanely good camera but I'm much, much happier with my X-T1, not faffing with micro-adjust and squeezing much more kit in my camera bag is great.

As an aside, my Graphite Silver Edition arrived today, I've never been too fussed about how my camera looks but blimey it's a fantastic looking but of kit.

Don't temp me about the Graphite model,got GAS bad enought :)

Well with my 60d I only had the sigma 17-50 2.8 and the canon 85mm 1.8 so can work with either, although obviously the zoom was more convenient, especially on crop.

I like the look of the graphite edition from the front, but the rear looks nasty imo. I feel the same about the E-M1.

Anyway, few pics from me from tonight. T'was a beautiful evening and there was lots of light to play with!!

Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5

Into the sun
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Poser

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.4

Nature

I've stuck my 35mm and 16-50mm in the classifieds if anyone fancies either... Both are way under-used, as is my X-T1 to be honest but I can't quite bring myself to sell the whole kit yet!

Get yourself an old manual lens mate, they're a lot of fun and will get you back out with the camera.

Oi, I'm trying to get you to buy mine and you're just making me want to keep 'em! Enough of your Jedi mind tricks.

I don't really know what it does hence not using it. Will try it when i get chance.
It allows yor to determine where you want sharpening to take place. With the masking tool you can restrict sharpening to just the obvious edges and not sharpen areas with less detail such as the sky.

:LOL: the Oly 50 is meant to be very good. ;) adapters are only a tenner. :D

Steve, thanks, i had a go and the ALT key tip is very useful. Just ended up going with selective sharpening via the local adjustment brush.

I like the look of the graphite edition from the front, but the rear looks nasty imo. I feel the same about the E-M1.

Agreed, they've managed the impressive feat of making it look really expensive and really cheap all in one camera body! The front really is lovely though.

Worth a tenner Marc. Manual focusing on the x-t can be very rewarding. Being someone who has never shot film i have never experienced it before until going into mirrorless systems (e-m10 and the x-t1) so it's a novelty for me.

Thanks Steve. Looking back at them, the first was taken with the 35 and not the 135. It's also OOF... Bloody manual focusing... :rolleyes:

Back