The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Question for X-T2 users. When bracketing, we can take 9 shots....question is, do you take all nine or fewer? What gap d'you leave between exposures in terms of stops?
Being a X-T10 user. I have to do this mostly by hand, but I take as many as are needed to cover the dynamic range. That would seldom be nine, possibly when shooting an interior on a bright day, but it's hard to make such a wide DR look right anyway. It's usually three, occasionally more. I did a lot more exposure bracketing back in the day when my CCD sensor had limited DR.

As for the gap between them, one stop is nicer for smooth blending, but more work. Two stops is the most I would go, but is often workable. I occasionally try the LR HDR function to see what it will do, but mostly blend exposures by hand using luminosity masks for greater control. If you use dedicated HDR software for exposure blending, you may need different source materials for best results.

Question for X-T2 users. When bracketing, we can take 9 shots....question is, do you take all nine or fewer? What gap d'you leave between exposures in terms of stops?

Depends on the scene, if I just want a quick bracket and the range is not extreme I use 3 shots at 2 stop intervals.
If its an extreme dynamic range scene its 9 shots at 1 stop apart and I do use the 5 shot with 1 stop intervals at other times.
I will check the lightest and darkest shot to make sure I have recorded all the highlights and shadows.

If its what I think is an important shot I work on the principle its better to have 2 many rather than 2 few shots, I dont always use all the shots I take.

Depends on the scene, if I just want a quick bracket and the range is not extreme I use 3 shots at 2 stop intervals.
If its an extreme dynamic range scene its 9 shots at 1 stop apart and I do use the 5 shot with 1 stop intervals at other times.
I will check the lightest and darkest shot to make sure I have recorded all the highlights and shadows.

If its what I think is an important shot I work on the principle its better to have 2 many rather than 2 few shots, I dont always use all the shots I take.
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was shooting all 9 one stop apart on a very bright day yesterday. As pointed out, one or two were potentially useless as they were just too bright, but I'd rather record them and discard them than not have them at all.

Cheers

Ian

You may be surprised that it was an X-T2!
I have it in my head that my 18-55 produces cleaner images on this camera (than X-T20) but it’s probably just my old eyes.

I have it in my head that my 18-55 produces cleaner images on this camera (than X-T20) but it’s probably just my old eyes.
I rubbed the sensor down with wet-and-dry as it looked a bit dusty ...

Or it might be that the larger body is steadier in the hand.

Been up in the Trossachs for a few days getting the new XT20 to work :)

The out-of-the-box RAW files seem very cool in some shots (the one below has been tweaked significantly to warm it) - anybody else notice that?

Loch Voil Reflections
by Mike Smith, on Flickr
Nice shot! I almost always warm up the raw files of any X-series camera.

You are using Auto Colour balance, so you should it expect it to be over influenced by disproportionate large areas of colour sometimes.
In any event final colour balance is very much an adjust to taste thing.

Last edited:
Thinking back to film days, the use of a warm up filter was almost the norm for transparencies.
Just about every one had an 81a or bluecut filter.

Last edited:
I tend to leave my X-T10 set on Daylight in the day, regardless of conditions, and Auto at night if dealing with a mix of artificial light sources. Shooting RAW+JPEG, of course.

Having said that, I do notice a difference in colour between the image on the screen before taking the shot, vs the one I see on playback. Not quite sure what that's about, but probably not related.

Been up in the Trossachs for a few days getting the new XT20 to work :)

The out-of-the-box RAW files seem very cool in some shots (the one below has been tweaked significantly to warm it) - anybody else notice that?

Loch Voil Reflections
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, well composed, with some very nice reflections.(y)

"Maybe a tad more warmth & contrast might not be a bad thing, but only my opinion of course. Still a very nice shot though"

George.

Very nice Fujigraph Sir, well composed, with some very nice reflections.(y)

"Maybe a tad more warmth & contrast might not be a bad thing, but only my opinion of course. Still a very nice shot though"

George.

Thanks for the comments George - I am always on the guard against doing too much so maybe in this case I have not done enough! It's better than it was anyway :)

I tend to leave my X-T10 set on Daylight in the day, regardless of conditions, and Auto at night if dealing with a mix of artificial light sources. Shooting RAW+JPEG, of course.

Having said that, I do notice a difference in colour between the image on the screen before taking the shot, vs the one I see on playback. Not quite sure what that's about, but probably not related.
That's a really good tip Dave - thanks :)

Thanks for the comments George - I am always on the guard against doing too much so maybe in this case I have not done enough! It's better than it was anyway :)
I really like the shot, and appreciate the way the lower contrast in the distant scenery gives a feeling of depth, but you can't please everyone :)

Love the dappled light on the wall and the deep blue sky.

Lovely light Dave

Thank you both kindly! The previous time I took this, I think it was entirely the light from the railyard, which is what you can see on the hoarding.

This time I think it might be that combined with a bit of natural light on the buildings, although I confess I can't entirely remember, as it was back in late Feb.

Lol - I like your humour!

EDIT - strange - as part of my reply I quoted the post this was related to - but it hasn't appeared. It was in response to the chick doing time inside the egg - END EDIT

Last edited:
Back