The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Yes. Works exactly as it should.

If you're in the market for a grip then I'd highly suggest considering saving yourself £100+ and getting this version. I'm assuming the official one is weather sealed and this one won't be so bare that in mind if that's important to you.

yeh, not fussed about weather sealing as i'm a fair weather only shooter . ...I've actually used a Meike grip before on a Canon 550D a few years back and although it wasn't as solid as what Canon had to offer, it served its purpose at a third of the price

I'm sure I read that the Meike was also weather sealed when they were first announced . I've also read a few people have been having problems with the battery catch not holding the battery in correctly :wideyed:

Colin, the battery catch didn't hold on the first attempt for me either, but i pushed the catch down and it held fine. Door closed and locked and both battery meters displaying in the viefinder.

Good news, I've still not decided if I'm going to get one or not. I'd only use it for portraits with the 56. I'll probably try their small flash first though as I'll get more use from that initially.

In other news, I posted off the X-E2 & 50-230 this afternoon. Once the credit is applied I'll order the X-T10 kit. Unfortunately I'll be in Devon when the 10 is released so maybe have to pick up an X-E1 or X-M1 for Mrs Sprout to use on holiday. I suggested she could use the X100S but she really doesn't like the zoom mechanism on it.

For me it was worth it. I do like a battery grip. Once i get sorted with the 56 it will become more invaluable. It works well with the 23 aswell because it's one of the bigger primes. With the 50-140 fitted there is limited space between the tripod foot and the grip but it's still ok and comfortable to use.

It also makes the camera hang a bit lower when on my strap so it's not bashing on my hip all the time.

So what's the 35mm f1.4 like? Seem quite cheap (£304 from WEX with cashback)

I always liked it Marc, focus probably isn't as fast as the newer lenses but optically its a great lens.

Interesting. I've had this werd thought in the back of my hea of replacing the 18-55 with the 35. I'm already missing my primes.

I may have found a suitable alternative while waiting for the 90mm f2:
11599-1432243602-2461fdcdf8d1f3d79f25db2e3f72dc91.jpg

11600-1432243603-e442430289b09d58820083891a872b7a.jpg

It really looks fantastic on the XT1 and I like the focal length

11601-1432243604-27b6bc9c81a7c81a730dcf0b0af28c38.jpg

Wide open:

11602-1432243605-cb863eee5a6ec38bb76c68bbb5181016.jpg

It has round aperture blades and handles flare pretty well (No artistic merit on this one, I just wanted to see it stopped down against the sun)
11603-1432243606-82d3be1a2298f26a1b76105490c2af79.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. I've had this werd thought in the back of my hea of replacing the 18-55 with the 35. I'm already missing my primes.

I try a keep both,the zoom a great little walk about lens,with the 35mm great if you need to work in low light :)

Wish I could but it's one or the other for me I'm afraid.

The 35mm renders beautifully, but is quite a bit slower to focus, particularly in low light. Perhaps wait for the new firmware to see if this is improved, or alternatively hold out for the upcoming 35/2, which may be cheaper anyway.

I found my 35mm to be soft at 1.4 so sold it. It's quite noisy when focusing and is a little bit slower than the 23.

I reckon you had a duff copy matey, mine is pin sharp even wide open. Embarrasses my Zeiss lenses even! Annoyingly slow though at times :(

The 35mm renders beautifully, but is quite a bit slower to focus, particularly in low light. Perhaps wait for the new firmware to see if this is improved, or alternatively hold out for the upcoming 35/2, which may be cheaper anyway.

Something for me to think about then, thanks.

I found my 35mm to be soft at 1.4 so sold it. It's quite noisy when focusing and is a little bit slower than the 23.
Was considering moving on my 35mm until I used it this weekend, my one is razor sharp even completely wide open, I'll try and upload and example at some point.

@ukaskew thinking of making the short trip down to Silverstone tomorrow, have you shot there? Just wondering if the EFOV of ~210mm is long enough to shoot there?

If you don't mind getting creative and shooting from high up it's ok, I guess. But the 50-140 is too short to get anything meaningful through fences etc.It's probably just about the worst Motorsport venue to shoot at in the UK.

These were 2011 all shot pretty much within 200 equiv...https://www.flickr.com/search/?user...-desc&text=silverstone fia gt 2011&view_all=1

Last edited:
Back