The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Great to see many new images on here daily :)

Got a guy coming to hopefully buy my old Sigma Nikon fit lens today. That'll go to my lens fund [that I just decided to start up] - After I pay a few bills at least :/

So I'm going to look into some Fuji lenses, see what I fancy. Ideally, I'd love the 90mm F2, but that isn't happening any time soon. So I am pondering the 60mm 2.4 'macro' or the 23mm F2. Not sure which end I'd prefer more.
shooting with the 18-55 today it's a must have lens I reckon and a pleasure to use. It's a lot smaller in the flesh than it looks in pictures too.

Last edited:
shooting with the 18-55 today it's a must have lens I reckon and a pleasure to use. It's a lot smaller in the flesh than it looks in pictures too.

I have been tempted by it tbh, but if I get this 35 1.4 I probably won't get the 18-55. I'm one of those who hates crossing focal lengths. I've always been like that though no matter the system. Like with Nikon, once I got the Sigma 35 1.4 I immediately sold on the 24-70 2.8. I see a 35 as the perfect short prime. Just take some steps back or forward to 'zoom' :D

After watching some vids on the 23 F2 I don't think I want it, seen some comments say their 27mm 2.8 is much sharper at 2.8 than the 23 is at F4! :/ and F2 on the 23 is apparently really soft, some saying unusable. That's that one crossed off then, might even keep the 27, as it is a lovely tidy pocket lens to have.

I have been tempted by it tbh, but if I get this 35 1.4 I probably won't get the 18-55. I'm one of those who hates crossing focal lengths. I've always been like that though no matter the system. Like with Nikon, once I got the Sigma 35 1.4 I immediately sold on the 24-70 2.8. I see a 35 as the perfect short prime. Just take some steps back or forward to 'zoom' :D

After watching some vids on the 23 F2 I don't think I want it, seen some comments say their 27mm 2.8 is much sharper at 2.8 than the 23 is at F4! :/ and F2 on the 23 is apparently really soft, some saying unusable. That's that one crossed off then, might even keep the 27, as it is a lovely tidy pocket lens to have.
Yeah I've heard the 23 being soft wide open but not the 27 being sharper at f2.8 than the 23 at f4!

Just take some steps back or forward to 'zoom' :D

All fine and dandy, until you run out of space ;)

That's where I've found the 35mm length limiting in the past on an APSC sensor. It's just not quite wide enough for some indoor shots.

One taken using @Mr Perceptive 18-55 lens which seems to have a big dust bunny on it some where. Bang in the centre near the top of this shot there was a big black blob. Couldn't see it on any shots with my lenses. Worth checking, sir?

Telford's masterpiece
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Well if you will shoot at F22, what do you expect!!! It could be my lens or your sensor, shoot something at F22 with your 18-55 and see.......

Gregg - That Norton image is absolutely gorgeous.

I keep calling into this thread as I'm very tempted to swap over from my Nikon D610 to either the XT1 or the XT2. Need something a lot lighter to lug around nowadays. Certainly the XT1 and the much lower price at the moment is looking more favourable for me than the XT2.

Go for it, the XT1 is very very good, the XT2's extra MP is handy for cropping (like the royal enfield pic), and the focus nipple is great. Thanks for your kind comments as well, the bike isn't mine but it was a lovely looking machine, and a new one I believe as it had an efi engine and normal right foot rear brake [emoji851]

@Mr Perceptive have you been using your dehaze filter?
There seems to be some funny artefacts on a couple of those.

I've come to a conclusion.
Your early morning purchase of coffee, breakfast in Pete's and supply of petrol against my purchase of what passed for lunch will wipe the beer and bacon slate clean.
We can start all over again.
Onwards and upwards:D

Spent today shooting only with my 23/2. It's bang sharp from wide open unless you're shooting at really close distances, where it gets soft and needs to be stopped down.

All fine and dandy, until you run out of space ;)

That's where I've found the 35mm length limiting in the past on an APSC sensor. It's just not quite wide enough for some indoor shots.

Never had this happen really, only time I would be taking a picture of say a large group, would be in a fairly large area. I would like a wide prime to have on side though too, J.I.C.

Spent today shooting only with my 23/2. It's bang sharp from wide open unless you're shooting at really close distances, where it gets soft and needs to be stopped down.

It was this review in particular that pointed out the softness wide open, with samples:

Yeah I've heard the 23 being soft wide open but not the 27 being sharper at f2.8 than the 23 at f4!

I guess it depends who you believe, if you read down through the comments under that video a couple of people mention the 27 is sharper.

Last edited:
@Alan Clogwyn I presume you know this stairway?
For those who don't this was taken from across the far side of the mine. The stairway runs from botton right to top left of the shot. This is less than a third of the whole. It winds it's way to uper levels of the mine high on the hillside overlooking Llanberis. There is something like 700' drop off on the right hand side. This used to be the regular way to work for miners when the mine was in operation. No HSE rules here.
The bottom 20 steps or so are clear and easy. After that the steps become irregularly spaced and are covered with varying amounts of detritus. And it was wet. We thought about going up, but @Mr Perceptive just didn't fancy trying to get down again. Neither did I.

Stairway to Heaven
by mickledore on Talk Photography

I've been up (and down) several times before in the dry. It's worth persevering because you eventually come to the Australia Level cutting sheds. These are some 2000' above the valley floor and how they got all this machinery up there is a mystery.

Auatralia Level cutting sheds. by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Talking of Australia, it's 4-0 this year. Whoopeeeeee!
Frank, the second one is stunning!

Never had this happen really, only time I would be taking a picture of say a large group, would be in a fairly large area. I would like a wide prime to have on side though too, J.I.C.

It was this review in particular that pointed out the softness wide open, with samples:

I guess it depends who you believe, if you read down through the comments under that video a couple of people mention the 27 is sharper.
The 27mm comes out sharpest of the lot on photozone.de even the 56mm.

The 27mm comes out sharpest of the lot on photozone.de even the 56mm.

The 90mm beats it, and the 60mm is on par, but impressive for sure. The only draw backs for the 27 are it's a bit in between, it's neither wide enough, or long enough. It's not great if you were looking for nice bokeh/shallow DOF either. And the focusing is irritating, if you wanted to use it for video even MF makes noise. For general purpose, street, gigs/shows, that kind of thing, it's hard to beat. You could easily get away with this on the XT-1 into a concert.

Last edited:
Hi
I am looking for a Backpack/Sling bag to take an XT-1 and a 100-400, any thoughts and not much else.
I am thinking about the Lowepro Passport sling, has anybody used one?

A few with the 35 f2 yesterday, starting to gel a bit more with the T2 [emoji3]

View attachment 91153

Go for it, the XT1 is very very good, the XT2's extra MP is handy for cropping (like the royal enfield pic), and the focus nipple is great. Thanks for your kind comments as well, the bike isn't mine but it was a lovely looking machine, and a new one I believe as it had an efi engine and normal right foot rear brake [emoji851]

I was going to ask if the RE was yours! I'm about to take the plunge and "bob" mine using a solo seat like that to replace my twin seat and some faffing with the rear subframe and mudguard. You're right, it is a new one, painted in British Army Green (rather than British RACING Green!) to make it look even more retro than the non military looking ones.

Hi
I am looking for a Backpack/Sling bag to take an XT-1 and a 100-400, any thoughts and not much else.
I am thinking about the Lowepro Passport sling, has anybody used one?

I use an old LowePro MiniTrekker for my Fuji kit (including an X-T2 with the 100-400 on a teleconverter. Plenty of space in there for other stuff as well as your rig - IMO it's always better to carry empty space than not have enough space to carry everything! The camera and lens are JUST (about 1/2") too long to fit comfortably in a LowePro Toploader75.

That was shot on a film camera with b/w film.
No exposure meter....I copied the settings from my DSLR!
Well you should be very happy with it. Definitely one for the wall.

Last edited:
which aftermarket battery's are you using for the X-T10 ?
Quite a few on ebay !

any one give me their thoughts on scratching my latest "itch" ?
should i upgrade my XT-1 to the XT-2 or keep the XT-1 and grab a 90mm and another piece of glass? ...i dont do moving stuff' motors' birds etc ...just street and portrait everyday static stuff. had a play around with other lenses and sold them on before sticking to the 23mm 1.4
just wondered if the sensor and image quality on the XT-2 will be like night & day compared to my XT-1 ????

any one give me their thoughts on scratching my latest "itch" ?
should i upgrade my XT-1 to the XT-2 or keep the XT-1 and grab a 90mm and another piece of glass? ...i dont do moving stuff' motors' birds etc ...just street and portrait everyday static stuff. had a play around with other lenses and sold them on before sticking to the 23mm 1.4
just wondered if the sensor and image quality on the XT-2 will be like night & day compared to my XT-1 ????
In terms of the final image you will see little to no difference unless you crop heavily or shoot regularly at 12800 ISO, even then the difference is not big. Save your money ;)

Interesting hearing about the XT1 and XT2. I'm on the fence and can't decide between a 1 and a 18-55 plus 56mm or a 2 and just the 18-55. I mainly shoot random family captures often indoors and poor light but single AF focus speed is important as on the A7ii it felt slow after my EM1.

Interesting hearing about the XT1 and XT2. I'm on the fence and can't decide between a 1 and a 18-55 plus 56mm or a 2 and just the 18-55. I mainly shoot random family captures often indoors and poor light but single AF focus speed is important as on the A7ii it felt slow after my EM1.
Difficult to say. I've not found the XT1 wanting with regards to focus for the type of shooting I've asked it to do, but then when I've known I'm going to be taking demanding scenarios I've used my D750. That being said I've found the XT1 hunts far less than my EM5-II in low light.

Difficult to say. I've not found the XT1 wanting with regards to focus for the type of shooting I've asked it to do, but then when I've known I'm going to be taking demanding scenarios I've used my D750. That being said I've found the XT1 hunts far less than my EM5-II in low light.
Thanks for the reply. After my EM1 I bought a D750 but missed an EVF! Then got the A7ii but found it slow to focus and I did not enjoy it. I've now got to make what I hope is a better informed choice.

Thanks for the reply. After my EM1 I bought a D750 but missed an EVF! Then got the A7ii but found it slow to focus and I did not enjoy it. I've now got to make what I hope is a better informed choice.
Can't you try before you buy?

Busy day trading for me, sold off my final Nikon lens, and traded the Fuji 55-200 for a 35 1.4 + 50-230, straight trade, I think I did well on that one. Looking forward to testing this 35mm out properly, just shooting around the house tonight was very promising. It is nice to have a 1.4 again :)

Busy day trading for me, sold off my final Nikon lens, and traded the Fuji 55-200 for a 35 1.4 + 50-230, straight trade, I think I did well on that one. Looking forward to testing this 35mm out properly, just shooting around the house tonight was very promising. It is nice to have a 1.4 again :)

Now THAT is a great deal. Well done :)

Now THAT is a great deal. Well done :)

I think so, as I would only use the zoom in daylight, I don't think I'll miss all that much, and I got to keep my 27mm. The 35 is in great nick, looks barely used, only thing was he didn't have the box. No biggy. The 50-230 same, like new, and is boxed. Got to decide what to do with the 27 now, I kinda fancy the 60mm, even though I know it'll be slow. or start saving toward that lush 90mm! :D

I think this 35 will sit on the camera a lot though for now.

Back