The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anyone successfully got the remote app to work for transferring images to an iPad? Was trying the other day and it was a painful experience. I can get the X-T2 wifi on, connect to its wifi with the iPad, run the app, hit the play button, select an image, but shortly after that the connection fails. Rinse, repeat. It did work for 1 image, but it was a maddening process. The app appears to be next to useless. I did play with it a bit for taking pictures as well recently, and it was better in that mode - using an iPhone as the viewfinder. The only snag with it, was that there was a really bad lag between the screen and reality, so framing was guesswork.

Anyone successfully got the remote app to work for transferring images to an iPad? Was trying the other day and it was a painful experience. I can get the X-T2 wifi on, connect to its wifi with the iPad, run the app, hit the play button, select an image, but shortly after that the connection fails. Rinse, repeat. It did work for 1 image, but it was a maddening process. The app appears to be next to useless. I did play with it a bit for taking pictures as well recently, and it was better in that mode - using an iPhone as the viewfinder. The only snag with it, was that there was a really bad lag between the screen and reality, so framing was guesswork.

Try turning off the wifi on the iPad, work better for me like that on an Android tablet

Just checking but you are trying to send a jpeg and not a raw file?

Just checking but you are trying to send a jpeg and not a raw file?

I tried both - I have it set to capture jpgs on one card and raws on the other. Neither seemed to work for me! iPad and camera were right next to each other, so it shouldn't have mattered other than to take longer for RAW than for jpg. Is it something that works for anyone else?

Well I've gone and done it - swapped my Nikon D610 kit for the XT-2 and 18-55! Sat here pressing various buttons, reading the manual and thinking crikey - what have I done! Hopefully all will slot into place soon - but for now I'm certainly struggling. The Nikon did seem a lot easier to navigate, but perhaps that because I've had Nikon's for years and it could be the 'old dogs new tricks syndrome'.
So no doubt I may becoming on here for some guidance in the very near future.......the camera feels superb though.

Same here, it's just different to get used to....

I like feel of the camera, so I'm sure it will all be fine :)

Didn't make that clear, turn device wifi off before connecting otherwise it sees things like the router, its ok once its seen the camera and is connected

Last edited:
I tried both - I have it set to capture jpgs on one card and raws on the other. Neither seemed to work for me! iPad and camera were right next to each other, so it shouldn't have mattered other than to take longer for RAW than for jpg. Is it something that works for anyone else?

I always shoot raw but when doing the transfer on the app have to create a new jpeg file. That new image is then created in addition to the original raw file. Try then sending the new file to the app. Should work.

I always shoot raw but when doing the transfer on the app have to create a new jpeg file. That new image is then created in addition to the original raw file. Try then sending the new file to the app. Should work.
Why would that work any better than trying to send the original jpegs?

Doesn't the camera downsize Jpegs a lot, before sending to a wireless device?

I've enjoyed the app so far, it's limited, sure, but it's free. It's an extra. I love the live view on my phone, I've used it to set up the camera to shoot birds. I can stay back out of sight and use the live view to focus and capture. There is lag though, there's a definite pause between pressing the shutter, to the shot actually being taken. So it's not very precise for anything fast moving.

If you're into video, and do Vlogs or whatever, it's a great way to frame yourself and start recording.

Doesn't the camera downsize Jpegs a lot, before sending to a wireless device?

I'm not 100 percent, but i'm fairly sure there is an option as to whether it downsizes or not...

Edit: a quick Google yeilded - "It is not set up on the App but in the camera. Go to Wireless Setting - Resize image for smartphone (3M) - OFF."

Last edited:

I can see all the thumbnails ok, no problem. The problem is in the transfer itself. It just doesn't seem to work.. It starts, then connection fails.

I'm not 100 percent, but i'm fairly sure there is an option as to whether it downsizes or not...

Edit: a quick Google yeilded - "It is not set up on the App but in the camera. Go to Wireless Setting - Resize image for smartphone (3M) - OFF."

Yes, you can can choose - I was trying to send the full size images - I just wanted to do some iPad editing while I was away. Ended up giving up in disgust - it wasn't even partially buggy. It just doesn't work. Well, it didn't for me, so I was interested to see if anyone else has actually tried it.

Cool, must set that up

I can see all the thumbnails ok, no problem. The problem is in the transfer itself. It just doesn't seem to work.. It starts, then connection fails.
That sounds off... Where is the app installed? SD card or the devixe itself? The fact that it connects and grabs previews suggests to me its more of a problem writing them than the connection itself.

Didn't make that clear, turn device wifi off before connecting otherwise it sees things like the router, its ok once its seen the camera and is connected

Yes, I have no problem connecting to the camera in the first place, but maintaining that connection seems to be the problem.

That sounds off... Where is the app installed? SD card or the devixe itself? The fact that it connects and grabs previews suggests to me its more of a problem writing them than the connection itself.

IT's an iPad - so the app is on the device. The error is connection lost. It did it once, so I know it can do it. I've a hunch it may be related to the camera trying to go into sleep mode after a minute - in which case it's pretty dumb that the sleep mode is not overridden if it's involved in a transfer, but I've yet to experiment with this.

IT's an iPad - so the app is on the device. The error is connection lost. It did it once, so I know it can do it. I've a hunch it may be related to the camera trying to go into sleep mode after a minute - in which case it's pretty dumb that the sleep mode is not overridden if it's involved in a transfer, but I've yet to experiment with this.
I've done both ipad and Android. I can confirm it will sleep if just connected but not doing anything, but wont if transfering.

What versions of ios and camera firmware are you running? I hate to be "that guy" but have you tried reinstalling the fuji software?

Latest versions of IOS and Camera firmware. The app was freshly installed, but haven't tried reinstalling it. Will try that if this is actually working reliably for you.

It happens with these apps and programs sometimes, they just fall out of love with your device for no reason. I had to uninstall spotify only yesterday because it was acting up. Worked perfectly after the reinstall.

Just remember the OVF is useless with MF lenses unless you are zone focusing ;)

I thought it had a zoom function on the OVF? I tend to mostly MF by eye, plenty of practice from macro shooting. I only ever use MF when shooting macro :)

I thought it had a zoom function on the OVF? I tend to mostly MF by eye, plenty of practice from macro shooting. I only ever use MF when shooting macro :)
Yes, it does. I find it plenty useful on the X-T10! Just don't judge by my results :) Or is that missing on the Pro-1?

Yes, it does. I find it plenty useful on the X-T10! Just don't judge by my results :) Or is that missing on the Pro-1?

On the XT-1 I use the focus assist, or sometimes the dual F screen, I ca't decide which is better. The dual option is like having your normal view plus focus assist close up at once, but I think I prefer to just use full screen and FA close in for nailing it. I have no experience with the pro 1 so it'll be interesting. I have owned an X100s, and I believe it's a similar experience to that, just bigger, and with the obvious lens change advantages

What I mean is that you'll need to use the EVF to understand whether something is in focus or not, because the OVF is not through the lens :)

Edit: When using a manual focus lens.

What I mean is that you'll need to use the EVF to understand whether something is in focus or not, because the OVF is not through the lens :)

Gotchya. I will need to play around with it when I get it and see how I feel, could turn out the opposite direction. Maybe I'll have the T-1 as my MF/macro body, and the pro 1 with the 35 1.4 attached mostly. Can't say without trying it first. But it's cool to have the options.

Ooooooh I wondered what you meant... Thought you were on about paralax. Yeah that'd be tough with an MF lens.

How do you lot clean your cameras? and lenses? Fuji lenses in particular tend to have this annoying draw for dust and crumbs ... :D I've been using alcohol wipes, I am assuming this is ok?

How do you lot clean your cameras? and lenses? Fuji lenses in particular tend to have this annoying draw for dust and crumbs ... :D I've been using alcohol wipes, I am assuming this is ok?

I use Zeiss wipes :D
Got enough to last me until the next 10-20 years lol.
You can get them from Asda, Costco etc or in the Zeiss cleaning kit.

Last edited:
Back