The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Nice subject George and beautifully lit, even down to the catchlights in the berries and the highlights on the "recepticle" on the candleholder itself.

I really should dig my nissin and diffuser out once in a while.

Edit: nicely done on the flame too, I always struggle to expose candle flames.

Many thanks for that Jim, really appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Beautiful George excellent quality and great lighting (y)

Thank you kindly Phil, really appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Great perspective, and they really pop against that sky!

That is stunning mate. Great perspective and dramatic rendering.

Thank you chaps, much appreciated - starting to feel like I've got more of a handle on what makes this type of image work and what processing is about right vs too much

A bit of more conventional street photography. For once I managed to start shooting before all light had faded from the sky, meaning this was shot at about f/4 and 1/125, and everything looks a bit sharper. Still slightly front focused, but not bad for street photography on a moving target with a manual lens... I do like the combination of wet pavements and street lights, never fails to get me out of the house!

Umbrella of uncertainty by David Hallett, on Flickr
Really like that Dave, great shot.

Messing about with flash. Topping out everything to get that black backdrop for free :)

Scout:
Scout by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Scrappy:
Scrappy by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Couple of really nice shots Keith, a difficult subject that you've caught very well.(y)

"Hope you don't mind me saying, but Just a thought. Had you considered using a reflector of some sort above and slightly behind the subject angled at about 45 degrees forwards? it would help separate the subject from the background and also stop a bit of stray light from the flash hitting the backdrop."

George.

Last edited:
Couple of really nice shots Keith, a difficult subject that you've caught very well.(y)

"Hope you don't mind me saying, but Just a thought. Had you considered using a reflector of some sort above and slightly behind the subject angled at about 45 degrees forwards? it would help separate the subject from the background and also stop a bit of stray light from the flash hitting the backdrop."

George.

There is no backdrop, these were just taken in the kitchen in open space :) I never use back drops, but would use a reflector in that case yeah, cheers. I was just messing about with settings really. The cats would never stay still if I tried pose them, here they were just bemused by the flash. Where they are looking is where I was holding it by hand.

Last edited:
I've been messing about in my studio at home with an X-T2 etc, and all I can say is I'm absolutely blown away with the image quality that can be obtained from these cameras.

X-T2, 105mm Micro Nikkor Lens, 1/Sec @ F11, ISO-200, Multi Flash with 1st Curtain Sync & Longish Exposure.
Christmas Dec (5)-03765 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,(y):fuji:

George.

Thats stunning. Can I ask how you captured the shot and yet kept the subject so well lit and the background ....unlit really ?

Thats stunning. Can I ask how you captured the shot and yet kept the subject so well lit and the background ....unlit really ?
Look like he's used a black backdrop, but you can also 'blacken' the background by underexposing the ambient and letting the flash/strobelight light the subject. You don't have to have a black background though if you underexpose the ambient enough. For example this was shot in a bright room with white walls. It's not a good portrait at all, but it was just part of the free Nikon class I went to demonstrating how to do exactly this, ie remove the background by underexposing and using flash to light the subject. This was done using 3 hand held flashes that weren't diffused hence the harsh light.

DSC_0771
by TDG-77, on Flickr

This shows the room

DSC_0761
by TDG-77, on Flickr

For the first shot she was stood about 6 feet from the wall so that no flash light spilled onto the wall.

Last edited:
Thanks... that was the part I was most fascinated by.... how to avoid the flash lighting the room and not such a specific subject. I shall have a play......

Thanks... that was the part I was most fascinated by.... how to avoid the flash lighting the room and not such a specific subject. I shall have a play......
You need 'ample' separation from the background, plus you can direct the light with modifiers so that it goes where you want to and not spill too much. Also you can PP the background if you get a bit of light spill, as I did with this :whistle:

DSC_1413
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Also, if you get good quality backdrops then it doesn't show small spills of light, unlike it does when you just use a black towel like me :ROFLMAO:

Don't think I posted these from my recent trip to London to visit my Brother and his family.

My Niece having brunch. Was against a white wall but PP'd it further to get it perfectly white.

DSCF6342
by TDG-77, on Flickr

One of the rides at Winter Wonderland

DSCF6596
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just had a play with the trusty TZ25 and got an excellent effect in a well lit room. Learn something everyday....... thank you

Sure happy to help.(y)

"The shot was lit with a black paper backdrop, and three studio flash heads each with a largish soft box fitted and all done with one exposure, no photoshopping etc.

Light #1, was overhead on a boom arm slightly behind the subject and angled forwards just enough to keep any stray light from hitting the backgdrop.

Light #2, was from the right (looking at the subject) at the same height and in line with the subject to bring out some texture, and angled once again so as to not let any stray light hit the backdrop. Both lights #1 & #2 were set to the same power ratio to give an aperture of F11.

Light #3, was from the front at the same height as the subject just left of the camera axis and set to 2/3 of a stop less power than the other two lights just to really light the shadows as a kicker without knocking out the texture created from the other two lights"

Exposure was using 1st curtain sync for the flash with a shutter speed of 1/second. The flash fires as soon as the shutter opens which records the ornament/candle/wick etc and by keeping the shutter open for 1/second the exposure of the flame is made. That's it nothing complicated and very easy to setup and do.

Hope this helps.,

George.

Look like he's used a black backdrop, but you can also 'blacken' the background by underexposing the ambient and letting the flash/strobelight light the subject. You don't have to have a black background though if you underexpose the ambient enough. For example this was shot in a bright room with white walls. It's not a good portrait at all, but it was just part of the free Nikon class I went to demonstrating how to do exactly this, ie remove the background by underexposing and using flash to light the subject. This was done using 3 hand held flashes that weren't diffused hence the harsh light.

DSC_0771
by TDG-77, on Flickr

This shows the room

DSC_0761
by TDG-77, on Flickr

For the first shot she was stood about 6 feet from the wall so that no flash light spilled onto the wall.

This, is what I did for the cats and the spooky Emily image earlier.

I've been messing about in my studio at home with an X-T2 etc, and all I can say is I'm absolutely blown away with the image quality that can be obtained from these cameras.

X-T2, 105mm Micro Nikkor Lens, 1/Sec @ F11, ISO-200, Multi Flash with 1st Curtain Sync & Longish Exposure.

George.

George, as others have said, that's a technical masterpiece! [emoji106]

George.

Very well balanced and presented :)

George, as others have said, that's a technical masterpiece! [emoji106]

That's very kind of you to say Gregg, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Really banal question here, but I have a blind spot about it: I'm really, really bad at remembering to turn off OIS when I put the kit lens on a tripod. And if I do remember, I'll probably forget to turn it back on later!

Anyone got any tips, other than drink more coffee?

I was thinking you got a lot more cooperation from your cats than I would have expected :) Nice shots!

Most times when I point the camera at them they either run up too close so I can't focus, or they run off and hide :D

Really banal question here, but I have a blind spot about it: I'm really, really bad at remembering to turn off OIS when I put the kit lens on a tripod. And if I do remember, I'll probably forget to turn it back on later!

I have often forgotten to switch off VR/VC/OS/OIS on a tripod, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. But, maybe put a sticky note on your tripod plate that reads "switch off OIS"? ;)

Last edited:
It's rubbish.... but this was the shot I took with a Panasonic TZ25...quickly tweaked the exposure to -2 , in shutter mode and pre flash. Made my hands look all jaundiced but still pleased to see the black background. Terrible shot but follows the basic principals as suggested with the "correct" effect. I'm still amazed what can be achieved in a well lit room :eek:

Must try with my X-T1 when I get a chance.... I do like the effect....when done properly of course :D

Last edited:
It's rubbish.... but this was the shot I took with a Panasonic TZ25...quickly tweaked the exposure to -2 , in shutter mode and pre flash. Made my hands look all jaundiced but still pleased to see the black background. Terrible shot but follows the basic principals as suggested with the "correct" effect. I'm still amazed what can be achieved in a well lit room :eek:

Must try with my X-T1 when I get a chance.... I do like the effect....when done properly of course :D

If a black background is your aim, you can take the image into Lightroom and take down the blacks a bit more. Using the XT-1 and an off camera flash [allowing you to direct it from an angle, not straight on, here you are still getting some backdrop detail in] will allow you do it without any need for that though, just takes a bit of trial and error ;)

Last edited:

Most of the time you'll get away with it, but as mentioned above put a note on your tripod or tripod plate.

If a black background is your aim, you can take the image into Lightroom and take down the blacks a bit more. Using the XT-1 and an off camera flash [allowing you to direct it from an angle, not straight on, here you are still getting some backdrop detail in] will allow you do it without any need for that though, just takes a bit of trial and error ;)

I will indeed thanks. It was just a quick "snap" with my little travel camera. I was pleased...not surprised..... that it worked so well after the advice I was given and the examples. Its a good effect and I will have play with my various bits and pieces... thanks again

I will indeed thanks. It was just a quick "snap" with my little travel camera. I was pleased...not surprised..... that it worked so well after the advice I was given and the examples. Its a good effect and I will have play with my various bits and pieces... thanks again

Yeah I know, just a possibility. It is possible to push the blacks in your image in post :) You have a good base to start.

With the XT-1 you have limits too, like 1/180th flash sync. Also the ,limitation of the aperture on the lens you use. Some only do f16, where some lenses can do f32, but then that involves it's own set of issues.

We are forever learning, just take in bits and bobs along the way :D

I have often forgotten to switch off VR/VC/OS/OIS on a tripod, I don't think it makes a bit of difference. But, maybe put a sticky note on your tripod plate that reads "switch off OIS"? ;)

Most of the time you'll get away with it, but as mentioned above put a note on your tripod or tripod plate.

Yes, thank you both, that's a good idea. I don't know how much difference it makes, but I'm told the OIS gets confused when the camera is held completely still, which can affect sharpness.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you both, that's a good idea. I don't know how much difference it makes, but I'm told the OIS gets confused when the camera is held completely still, which can affect sharpness.
It can, but as I say most of the time you'll get away with it.

Maybe put a OIS sticker on the cameras shoe mount cover.

I have never seen OIS affect a still, maybe a long exposure it might.
I believe I have once, but can't be 100% sure it was down to that or something else. I've forgotten to turn IS off on many occasion without any ill effects (y)

I would always switch it off on a tripod, when i remember to. But with Nikon VR I never had any issue. Fuji's OIS could be more finicky because it's actually more active and adjusts for more stops.

I would always switch it off on a tripod, when i remember to. But with Nikon VR I never had any issue. Fuji's OIS could be more finicky because it's actually more active and adjusts for more stops.
Agreed, always best to do so just in case, but if you do forget it's unlikely to be the end of the world (y)

Back