The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I am considering the 18mm and then just going for a long Zoom for the rest of the focal lengths. I do prefer primes so that could well be a plan for the wide end.

Have a look into the Samyang 12mm F2, that will be my next lens I think. It's manual focus only, but with such a wide angle lens you barely need to focus much anyway. It also focuses up nice and close for some artsy wide angle macro(ish) images.

Have a look into the Samyang 12mm F2, that will be my next lens I think. It's manual focus only, but with such a wide angle lens you barely need to focus much anyway. It also focuses up nice and close for some artsy wide angle macro(ish) images.
I will, thanks for that. I had a MF Rockinon fish eye in the past and quite liked it.

It also has a fair bit of distortion, which you may need to correct in PP. The one I had I felt was a bit soft, but everyone else raves about how sharp they are, so maybe I had a Friday afternoon one. Very easy to use (technically), but very hard with composition - true with all ultra wide angles though.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a grip for the X-T10 please, I don't fancy paying Fuji original price if I can avoid it.

Just a question folks, what is the 50mm f2 R WR XF lens like if anyone has or uses it ?
I like it :)

Nice and fast AF, not bad DoF, a very good size and sharp as you like.

I need to use it more but the range (75mm equivalent) is taking a bit of getting used to, but it'll going on holiday with me for sure.

I posted a couple of pics on Flickr\here recently using it.

It also has a fair bit of distortion, which you may need to correct in PP. The one I had I felt was a bit soft, but everyone else raves about how sharp they are, so maybe I had a Friday afternoon one. Very easy to use (technically), but very hard with composition - true with all ultra wide angles though.

Well, it is 12mm, I'd expect at least some - Could be that you got a duff one, if Samyang's QC is anything like Sigma's

I like it :)

Nice and fast AF, not bad DoF, a very good size and sharp as you like.

I need to use it more but the range (75mm equivalent) is taking a bit of getting used to, but it'll going on holiday with me for sure.

I posted a couple of pics on Flickr\here recently using it.

Just had a quick read through some reviews on the 50mm, so in a few months it will be my last lens I get. Then I have all the focal length on my lenses :) Thank you too (y)

Well it's gone now,!!! 14mm S wide enough for me (excepting the fisheye!!)

Is the 14mm decent? I seen many so-so reviews on it, I think it's because the 16mm is so great though. The Samyang is tempting for me as much for budget reasons. Gone are the days I could just splurge on any lenses I wanted .... I miss those times :(

Is there a huge difference between the 55-200 f3.5-4.8 and the 50-230 4.5-6.7 performance wise? I accept one will need better light and build quality isn't the same but there's a huge price difference and I'm wondering if I'll be happy with the cheaper option or should I invest for the future now and get the 55-200.

Is there a huge difference between the 55-200 f3.5-4.8 and the 50-230 4.5-6.7 performance wise? I accept one will need better light and build quality isn't the same but there's a huge price difference and I'm wondering if I'll be happy with the cheaper option or should I invest for the future now and get the 55-200.

I had both, just for a short time though. The 50-230 is fine, so long as you try it first ... The 55-200 just blows it away IMO. The OIS is much better, it's brighter as you say, has better IQ and it's better built. There is a MK II of the 50-230 with better OIS, but it's £400. Keep an eye out in classified's here, I know one just went the other day. I sold my Mk 1 a while back for £110, so they can be got cheap.

I had both, just for a short time though. The 50-230 is fine, so long as you try it first ... The 55-200 just blows it away IMO. The OIS is much better, it's brighter as you say, has better IQ and it's better built. There is a MK II of the 50-230 with better OIS, but it's £400. Keep an eye out in classified's here, I know one just went the other day. I sold my Mk 1 a while back for £110, so they can be got cheap.
Thank you.
A small problem with classifieds here - I don't want to upset the bosses here but for quite some time now I lost my access rights, something to do with 'trading' I think. Problem was it was just a very bad case of GAS! Chopping and changing various systems which I have now healed myself from.
I'll probably go for the more expensive option as I'm determined to make the right choices this time as Fuji is my future from now on and I intend to run a higher end system alongside this one at some stage.
I've been through the 'Big Whites' of Canon and I now want to enjoy my photography without having to take a wheelbarrow out with me every time I go outside!

Thank you.
A small problem with classifieds here - I don't want to upset the bosses here but for quite some time now I lost my access rights, something to do with 'trading' I think. Problem was it was just a very bad case of GAS! Chopping and changing various systems which I have now healed myself from.
I'll probably go for the more expensive option as I'm determined to make the right choices this time as Fuji is my future from now on and I intend to run a higher end system alongside this one at some stage.
I've been through the 'Big Whites' of Canon and I now want to enjoy my photography without having to take a wheelbarrow out with me every time I go outside!

Ah, nuff said ;) Who hasn't had a bit of GAS now and then though? :D I shot Nikon for over 10 years, almost 5 with full frame bodies and lenses. I had all the lenses I thought i wanted, 300mm F4, 70-200 2.8 VRII, 24-70 2.8, bunches of primes ... I was more obsessed with gear than actually shooting. AT one point I bought some old manual focus lenses, and I think that was a turning point. I had as much fun shooting with those old cheap lenses as I did with any of the 'pro' spec stuff. Over time I sold off all the over priced gear, stopped doing the odd wedding just to pay for them, and decided I want to keep it simple :) Since I switched to Fuji I am back to shooting mostly for 'me'! (I say mostly, because I'm still the one who gets the call to bring my camera for family get togethers or events)

I made my mind up to get the 50-230mm was, on another forum I use a lad took a fantastic shot of a Dragon fly, but that`s just me.

Ah, nuff said ;) Who hasn't had a bit of GAS now and then though? :D I shot Nikon for over 10 years, almost 5 with full frame bodies and lenses. I had all the lenses I thought i wanted, 300mm F4, 70-200 2.8 VRII, 24-70 2.8, bunches of primes ... I was more obsessed with gear than actually shooting. AT one point I bought some old manual focus lenses, and I think that was a turning point. I had as much fun shooting with those old cheap lenses as I did with any of the 'pro' spec stuff. Over time I sold off all the over priced gear, stopped doing the odd wedding just to pay for them, and decided I want to keep it simple :) Since I switched to Fuji I am back to shooting mostly for 'me'! (I say mostly, because I'm still the one who gets the call to bring my camera for family get togethers or events)
Haha - yes it's so easy to get swept away with kit buying. I went through the whole Canon entourage of 'L' lenses from 17-40 to 600 f4 and few others along the way...and bodies, don't even go there!
I've now started to enjoy photography again, mainly as you said with older manual lenses and being more creative but I'd always wanted to go to Fuji as I've admired so many images online and here.
As I have a love of wildlife photography, I think I'll bite the bullet and get the 55-200 and wait a while for the wider end lenses as I get more used to the system and really know what I want.

I made my mind up to get the 50-230mm was, on another forum I use a lad took a fantastic shot of a Dragon fly, but that`s just me.
Good for you, I maybe should do the same but my interest has always lay more in wildlife photography and I live near the coast so I want something durable and the light gathering properties may just sway me to pay the bucks for the 55-200.
I'm not diving in though and would be interested to see some shots of yours with the 50-230.

Just had a quick read through some reviews on the 50mm, so in a few months it will be my last lens I get. Then I have all the focal length on my lenses :) Thank you too (y)

Really happy with my 50 f2, great value for money and capable of some awesome results

I've got both :D As mentioned above, the 55-200mm has better OIS than the original 50-230mm, is better built, sharper wide open and with faster AF. BUT...the 50-230mm is nice and light for carrying around! Plus IQ is still very good, way better than the cheapo Sigma/Tamron tele-zoom lenses for Canon/Nikon, and is very good from wide open. If you can get one for around £100-120, then snap it up and try it. If you don't like it, shift it on at minimal loss and buy the more expensive model :)

I've got both :D As mentioned above, the 55-200mm has better OIS than the original 50-230mm, is better built, sharper wide open and with faster AF. BUT...the 50-230mm is nice and light for carrying around! Plus IQ is still very good, way better than the cheapo Sigma/Tamron tele-zoom lenses for Canon/Nikon, and is very good from wide open. If you can get one for around £100-120, then snap it up and try it. If you don't like it, shift it on at minimal loss and buy the more expensive model :)

Sensible advice right there ^^

I'll have a look around for one, fuji refurb store have a silver one for £149.99 so if I have no luck I guess I could go for that.
Thanks for all the great advice,
..I like it here :fuji:

I am considering the 18mm and then just going for a long Zoom for the rest of the focal lengths. I do prefer primes so that could well be a plan for the wide end.

The 18mm f2 is underrated and get overlooked sometimes. If the focal length works out for you then the lens is great if not, then most likely you will hate it. For me the 18mm is wide enough for my purpose. When I'm on the street I tend to either use 18mm or 35mm. If I don't know when I'm going to shoot, then most likely I will use 35mm on the safe side, otherwise if location and shot is plan out, I will use 18mm.

See the photos below for some 18mm sample I shot.

FXT13556 by P Li, on Flickr

DSCF9058 by P Li, on Flickr

The 18mm f2 is underrated and get overlooked sometimes. If the focal length works out for you then the lens is great if not, then most likely you will hate it. For me the 18mm is wide enough for my purpose. When I'm on the street I tend to either use 18mm or 35mm. If I don't know when I'm going to shoot, then most likely I will use 35mm on the safe side, otherwise if location and shot is plan out, I will use 18mm.

Well, contrary to many Fuji users, I like the 18mm f2. It makes for a compact package with the X series cameras and I find that aspect desirable - the IQ is good enough for me.

Herbaceous Border - Blewbury by Rosedalelad, on Flickr

Blewbury Village Fuji 18mm f2

Last edited:

Nice work here, looks a likely addition to the new Fuji collection.

I also enjoyed the Fuji 18mm f2. Found the iq very good, or certainly on the copy I had.

ScotsNatMsm2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr
Looking good. My decision lies on this lens or the flexibility of a zoom but I've got a 35 f1.4 coming so am thinking the wider prime would suit me better and let my feet make up the difference.
I'm also thinking of adding the 55-200 which would then render the wider zoom redundant really, so I think I've talked myself into the 18 f2.

18mm and 35mm is a good combo for travel. I liked zooming with my feet and find my shot then stay in spot and zooming. I do have the 55-200 in my kit but is mainly for portrait or shots where I do need zoom and the IOS. i.e shooting water fall when traveling without a tripod etc. The zoom and IOS really helps on this area.

Although the 55-200 is not a heavy lens compare to canon or nikon zoom but I do find it a bit weight. This is probably to do with me shooting with small prime often.

18mm and 35mm is a good combo for travel. I liked zooming with my feet and find my shot then stay in spot and zooming. I do have the 55-200 in my kit but is mainly for portrait or shots where I do need zoom and the IOS. i.e shooting water fall when traveling without a tripod etc. The zoom and IOS really helps on this area.

Although the 55-200 is not a heavy lens compare to canon or nikon zoom but I do find it a bit weight. This is probably to do with me shooting with small prime often.
I want it for occasional wildlife shots mainly and coming from DSLR I think the weight will be ok.

I want it for occasional wildlife shots mainly and coming from DSLR I think the weight will be ok.

The weight is light to behonest but is just me when adjusting the balance when switching from 18mm to 55-200 lol. Truely a great lens to use if you don't need constant 2.8

Just been browsing the Fuji refurb lenses in their shop.
Prices have increased quite a lot in the past few months.

My X-T10 and 35 f1.4 are hopefully arriving tomorrow and I've just ordered a 55-200 f3.5-4.8 which should be here on Monday. I decided not to cut corners and having listened to all opinions (which are very much appreciated ;)) , I feel happier having the build quality and extra light gathering, IS and AF with this lens.
Just to decide now on a wide lens, no hurry on that though.
Can't wait to get this system up and running, I feel like a kid in a sweet shop which at 58 years old can't be right...can it???

My X-T10 and 35 f1.4 are hopefully arriving tomorrow and I've just ordered a 55-200 f3.5-4.8 which should be here on Monday. I decided not to cut corners and having listened to all opinions (which are very much appreciated ;)) , I feel happier having the build quality and extra light gathering, IS and AF with this lens.
Just to decide now on a wide lens, no hurry on that though.
Can't wait to get this system up and running, I feel like a kid in a sweet shop which at 58 years old can't be right...can it???
It can and is! Enjoy the T10 and 35mm 1.4 combo....it's my favourite at the moment, even ahead of the 10-24mm! (This is temporary I'm sure though haha)

Back