The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

To follow up I've only just looked up the F, is it basically an XT2 with a fixed 23mm F2? If so why not simply get that combo?

Edit: okay I've researched a bit and can see that if you only use one focal length or use it as a second (more discreet) camera then it does make a fair bit of sense, not for me personally but I can see it

Last edited:
@JohnN
I love my X100f. But sometimes I want more flexibility of focal length. That means breaking out the DSLR.
Figured that X-T2 will feel a bit more familiar and of course smaller.
Thinking of having 10-24 and 18-55 lenses with it.
Maybe a portrait lens...

I did read something about the F being able to use the digital teleconverter to also get 50 and 70mm, is that more of a gimmick than actually useful (like on the Nikon D750)?

Speaking of 50mm if you're consider a portrait lens do consider that, I think it may be my current favourite

Last edited:
@JohnN
I love my X100f. But sometimes I want more flexibility of focal length. That means breaking out the DSLR.
Maybe a portrait lens...
A very useful pair of lenses. I have those two and quite a few fixed-length lenses as well. But most of the time I just use the two zooms.

Just thinking, depending on what your plan is for the 10-24 would a Samyang 12mm suit your needs, lighter, brighter and cheaper, but of course not as flexible

Just thinking, depending on what your plan is for the 10-24 would a Samyang 12mm suit your needs, lighter, brighter and cheaper, but of course not as flexible

Thanks. looks a good option.

I use a few old M42 lenses on the XT-1 and xpro1 also. It's a nice change from worrying about ultra sharpness or how quick the AF is, you tend to think more for each shot. Nice doggy btw :)

Yes, I have been doing it since my X-T1. I have a lot of decent old glass that looks fantastic vix the X series cameras, and I generally manual focus so it is always fun to mess about with.

Many thanks, he's a cheeky dog!

Gorgeous as ever, you really do make your lenses sing :)

How would you rate the 35 1.4 Vs other lenses you own? I know you have some good ones

Thanks :) I really rate the 35/1.4 for IQ. I love the transition from in to out of focus and it's sharp from f/1.4. I also like the fact that it's so versatile. I think the 56/1.2 and 90/2 are more spectacular, but equally harder to use in all circumstances. I couldn't have gone any longer on the dog pen, I was close enough as it was.

It looks a little over sharpened here, but oddly on Flickr it's fine. The clouds here look to have been affected a little, they look a little harsh, not .... fluffy :)

Thank you Keith, I think once I click on the Topaz plugin, I might just pull the slider back a bit :)

Thanks :) I really rate the 35/1.4 for IQ. I love the transition from in to out of focus and it's sharp from f/1.4. I also like the fact that it's so versatile. I think the 56/1.2 and 90/2 are more spectacular, but equally harder to use in all circumstances. I couldn't have gone any longer on the dog pen, I was close enough as it was.

I really like it, and agree, it is sharp at all apertures. I took shots of a group at the beach other day, it was a little gloomy out, rain, dark cloud, and I shot mostly between 1.4 and 2.8. Everyone was in focus as I kept distance to go wide. For closer in focus it's so easy to drop the backdrop out and still get good sharpness in the centre. I'd love those lenses you mention ... some day!

@JohnN
Maybe a portrait lens...

I have both (as you know!!) F with both WCL and TCL and X-T2 with Samyang 8mm, Fuji 14mm, 18-55mm, 23mm F1.4 and 90mm. I view them as different beasts although many if the controls are similar. If I'm on a 'serious' toggling day I'll take the X-T2, the bigger EVF, tilting screen and lens choice swing it, added to the fact that the 23mm F1.4 is super sharp, as sharp at F2 as the X100F is anywhere, and the 14mm gives me a nice wide end and the 90mm is just lovely. But there is something very liberating about sling the X100F over your shoulder and slipping the WCL and a spare battery into a pocket. The F is a fantastic camera, and great fun to use. The F has a couple if annoying issues though, the position of the Q button and the numerous focus error messages. Those aside if I could keep just one camera then it would be the F, it's a great package, fortunately though I can keep both !!!!

Different animals but similar in operation.

And to those who ask about the telephoto mode, yes it's a bit of a gimmick, but it does enable a shot when perhaps there wasn't one with the standard lens. It does only generate a JPG but it's still pretty good.

It looks a little over sharpened here, but oddly on Flickr it's fine. The clouds here look to have been affected a little, they look a little harsh, not .... fluffy :)
You've put your finger on it. I didn't know what was amiss with the clouds but you've put your finger on it.

Raining today, so just trying to practice on my editing, too much or nearly right ?

Pavilion by David Ore, on Flickr

Very nice Fujoto Sir, with some really nice colour.(y)

"Must admit contrary to others I don't see any over sharpening, the clouds look just fine on my monitor and even better when the file is opened in Flickr"

George.

Guys I just asked this on the lighting section but thought I'd get some help here.

I have an old set of smartflash 1's and I am looking at the best way to connect them to my new XT1. I have a set of YN622c triggers and the TX transmitter and wondered if I would have to use one of the receivers connected via the small cable ( don't know what they're called ) and the other in the hotshoe. I suppose the other option is a hotshoe adapter but I can't seem to find one on amazon. Are these brand specific or do they fit all cameras. Any advice welcome.

So today I managed to go and pick up this...

20170903_160313 by SealBeard, on Flickr

...new lens, woo! well, ok fine its older than me be who's counting. Panagor 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro. I think its looks awesome if nothing else :D and we all know looks > all.

On a serious not however, when I first tried out some shots with it, I thought it was...well, knackered. I've come to the conclusion however that its not, and as with quite a few older lenses its just prone to flare in bad lighting. I need to find some kind of lens hood for it for sure. It looks quite heavy in the image above, however its surprisingly light to handle, and sturdily built at the same time. Looking forward to trying it out and about seeing how it performs in the 'real world' because I know it hates my dark box sized office :banghead:

Last edited:
Guys I just asked this on the lighting section but thought I'd get some help here.

I have an old set of smartflash 1's and I am looking at the best way to connect them to my new XT1. I have a set of YN622c triggers and the TX transmitter and wondered if I would have to use one of the receivers connected via the small cable ( don't know what they're called ) and the other in the hotshoe. I suppose the other option is a hotshoe adapter but I can't seem to find one on amazon. Are these brand specific or do they fit all cameras. Any advice welcome.

You could go that route Scott but you may end up spending almost as much on the cable as a dedicated solution, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Cow...words=wireless+trigger+for+studio+flash+6.4mm

Thanks Colin. That's something I hadn't thought of. Would this fit fuji? It doesn't mention that. I'll look again tonight but that's the way to go I think.

Very nice Fujoto Sir, with some really nice colour.(y)

"Must admit contrary to others I don't see any over sharpening, the clouds look just fine on my monitor and even better when the file is opened in Flickr"

George.

Thank you George for the nice words, I am still not sure on the clouds, again thank you :)

Thank you Keith, I think once I click on the Topaz plugin, I might just pull the slider back a bit :)

Looking at it again, I still see slight over sharpening, I rechecked after George's post, so either his eyes are going, or mine :D It could well be how it's appearing on my monitor. And if definitely looks different on Flickr. Just constructive criticism mind, nothing wrong with the image either way :)

Last edited:
Back