The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Looking at it again, I still see slight over sharpening, I rechecked after George's post, so either his eyes are going, or mine :D It could well be how it's appearing on my monitor. And if definitely looks different on Flickr. Just constructive criticism mind, nothing wrong with the image either way :)

Probably a bit of both Sir (eyes wise) :D I didn't mean to appear as if I'm arguing in any way just that I personally don't see over sharpening. Constructive crit' is good surely, it doesn't mean a pic' is bad its just the way different eyes (excuse the pun) see an image.

George.

ps - how are you finding the XT-20 John? Any upsides/downsides you can report?

Excellent really, it's a good size once I put the grip on it (a smidge small without) and I had to disable the right cursor because my fat fingers kept hitting it, but once that was out of the way really good

Probably a bit of both Sir (eyes wise) :D I didn't mean to appear as if I'm arguing in any way just that I personally don't see over sharpening. Constructive crit' is good surely, it doesn't mean a pic' is bad its just the way different eyes (excuse the pun) see an image.

George.

No worries, it could be a case that the forum is making it appear a bit sharper on my laptop. But I use this for here all the time. I did notice another image posted here recently that I thought was a little soft, but when I clicked through to view it on flickr it was plenty sharp. A glitch somewhere in the Matrix! :O

Looking at it again, I still see slight over sharpening, I rechecked after George's post, so either his eyes are going, or mine :D It could well be how it's appearing on my monitor. And if definitely looks different on Flickr. Just constructive criticism mind, nothing wrong with the image either way :)

George.

No worries, it could be a case that the forum is making it appear a bit sharper on my laptop. But I use this for here all the time. I did notice another image posted here recently that I thought was a little soft, but when I clicked through to view it on flickr it was plenty sharp. A glitch somewhere in the Matrix! :O

I have been having a really good look, and the only thing I think does not look too right, are the clouds even though it does look better on Flickr. Thanks again too as with Constructive Crit, I will get better :)

It's a single centre pin for firing so yes it should work no problem.
Crisis averted. The sync cable that attaches to my camera is now attached to the yn622c and the TX is on the hotshoe. It's going to leave a right mess of the hotshoe right enough as it's a very tight fit. Scraping paint off already.

Actually looked at the shots I took with Scope this morning, and not quite as shaky as I thought.

X-T2 with Swarvorski ATX85 & the 30mm Digiscope attachment.

Moon by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I'm impressed Sir, I actually know absolutely nothing about this type of snapography but it sure looks good to me.(y)

George.

Thanks George... It was a bit "slap dash", and when you're looking through a static scope, you'll be surprised how quickly the moon moves!!

I have found the serial number for the X-T2 at the bottom, but where is the number on my XF18-55mm as I want to register them with Fuji ?
Think it's near the lens mount.

EDIT Just had a look and its very small print between "18-55" and "made in Japan", as I said on the slope going towards the lens mount.

Last edited:
Great detail :)
Thanks Dave. I think there's more to be had from this set up, I just need to take my time and think about it more.

My wife doesn't find using a scope easy, so the idea was initially to use the camera body as an out device for the scope, so she could see the birds, but I think digiscoping may be my new friend for a while....

First effort at an LE

The Breakwater by Ash Smith, on Flickr

FYI, new I wanted to try some long exposure stuff this week away, but the Firecrest I ordered hadn't arrived so i popped sown the last remaining local camera shop I could find and bought an 8 stop that they had in the right size...

It's absolute garbage! Hideous colour cast and from the calculations I've done and looking at various long exposure app's etc I reckon it's more like a 2 or 3 stop than an 8. Filter is by Newer - buyer beware! It's going back and I'll wait for the firecrest to arrive before the next attempts

Last edited:
ND8 is 3 stops sometimes called ND0.9

ND1024 (1000) is ten stops (ND3.0)

Each stop doubles the exposure time so ND8 is effectively 2 to the power of 3 = 8

So 1sec exposure becomes 8sec

It's all simple maths really!!

Just download a long exposure calculator app to your phone

Last edited:
Well I've just got one if those new 7artisan lenses, the 7.5mm jobbie. I'm off to China in a few weeks so I hope it arrives on time. For the price it's worth a punt.

How do you feel about this little fisheye now? :)

ND8 is 3 stops sometimes called ND0.9

ND1024 (1000) is ten stops (ND3.0)

Each stop doubles the exposure time so ND8 is effectively 2 to the power of 3 = 8

So 1sec exposure becomes 8sec

It's all simple maths really!!

Just download a long exposure calculator app to your phone

Sorry David, I think you may have misunderstood, calculating the exposure times isn't an issue, plus I have a couple of phone apps for that, so no worries on that score.

Interestingly, I think I may have discovered my issue - as you say an ND8 (which this filter case is labelled) is indeed 3 stops - which means that my local camera store guy perhaps doesn't know his filters. When I phoned to see what they had in stock I asked if he had an 8 stop ND filter in the right size, he said yes so i popped down later in the afternoon and picked it up (after he confirmed that it was the one I was looking for).

Seems I haven't been sold a pup as much as been sold the wrong thing! Will pop back in when I'm back from hols next week and see about a refund.

How do you feel about this little fisheye now? :)

It's OK, never had a fisheye before to compare it against. But it is what it is. I'll post up a sample later from it. Very very bendy image as you'd expect but workable in lightroom. I didn't use it a lot, just walked round with the 23 on all the time.

Probably holding it wrong no doubt or had the wrong colour shutter release button screwed in to get the best out if it going by all the pros on here. But for the price it seems to do a decent job.

I just picked up a Samyang 12mm. I was wondering if anyone else has one, what do they think about it, and any tips to using it. I got it mostly for landscape and astro(which I have never done before)

Well just got back from Jessops, they gave me a quote for the rest of my canon gear, but ended up getting more. So a great 56th for me today as got two 64gbSandisk Mb/s cards, One X-T2 Power Grip and spare batteries, a canon printer and spare inks, a Manfrotto monopod, and a Vanguard camera bag so today I am very happy as ALL FUJI Now :banana::banana::fuji:

Well just got back from Jessops, they gave me a quote for the rest of my canon gear, but ended up getting more. So a great 56th for me today as got two 64gbSandisk Mb/s cards, One X-T2 Power Grip and spare batteries, a canon printer and spare inks, a Manfrotto monopod, and a Vanguard camera bag so today I am very happy as ALL FUJI Now :banana::banana::fuji:

A "RESULT" Sir, congrat's & "ENJOY" :beer:(y)

George.

I just picked up a Samyang 12mm. I was wondering if anyone else has one, what do they think about it, and any tips to using it. I got it mostly for landscape and astro(which I have never done before)

I don't have it yet, but do plan on buying one at some point. Manual focus should be very simple with such a wide angle, for landscape you're going to be stopped down a lot making it even easier. For Astro you're going to be at infinity, wide open to grab as much light as possible.

Back