The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of what I think is the power section of an old Discarded Winch, possibly used for hauling fishing boats etc up the beach from the sea.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

X-T2, 60mm F2.4 Lens, 1/680th @ F8, ISO-200, Monopod.
Things Left Behind (7)-03243 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Nice one George (y) Dungeness is certainly the place for your project mate.

There's plenty of that at Dungeness!!

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate you takin' the time to reply.(y)

"I know Dungeness very well, my house in the UK is only a stones toss away from there" :D:D

George.

Nice one George (y) Dungeness is certainly the place for your project mate.

Thank you kindly Sir, I sure do appreciate you takin' the time to reply and comment.(y)

George.

Just a couple of pots ... So far I`ve only used the 23mm. Need to get the 56 and macro going soon ;)

Two Pots by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Really like this Fujigraph Sir, well handled what could be a difficult shot to expose, nice colour, good comp', and I keep looking at the open door just in case someone should appear.:D(y)

George.

Really like this Fujigraph Sir, well handled what could be a difficult shot to expose, nice colour, good comp', and I keep looking at the open door just in case someone should appear.:D(y)

George.

Thanks George. The little flower pots caught my eye :)

I shot my last wedding with a Sony a7RII and Fuji X-T20. An odd choice, but I love both systems and have really struggled to pick one to jump into fully. My heart says Sony, the a7RII is as near to a perfect camera as I've ever owned, but financially and in terms of weight, building a more rounded Fuji system is many times more manageable. If Fuji had a flagship normal prime, maybe a 35mm f1.0 with a bunch of linear motors, it would be easy, but as it is the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 is just ridiculously good in a wedding environment.

Anyhow, I went through the full finished gallery this evening and there is genuinely not a single photo I could pick out as definitely being from one system or the other, so that gave me a big boost in favour of the Fuji, I really wasn't expecting it. Even processing them in LR was remarkably consistent with my own custom preset. I'm sure at 4K monitor in my face level the Sony would streak ahead, but I'm not and I'm certain my clients aren't either, in fact 95% of the traffic to the online galleries is on a mobile browser.

I'm using a Sony A9 at the moment, there are quite a few things to like but the game changer is the no EVF blackout. It's just completely awesome and difficult going back to the Fuji or Canon that I also have as the EVF/OVF blackouts are so much more noticeable.

What holds me back from going all in with Sony is the cost like yourself. 5k for 70-200 and 100-400 lenses is just so far above the equivalent from Canikon (let alone Sigmron!) it's not funny. The quality of the 70-200 is questionable as well which keeps me from making the leap.

On top of that Canon apparently have a more pro mirrorless on the horizon, but more interesting to me is the possibility of the X-T3 having a stacked sensor like the A9. That I think could make me go all in with Fuji, the problem is that announcement is likely to be September at the earliest and I'm not exactly a patient chap...! :D

I am having bit of a dilemma around which lenses to buy for the XT2, I am torn between the XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR or the 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR and a 2 x Tele converter. I need in the region of 400mm reach for aircraft shots, but like the idea of the 2.8 aperture of the shorter lens for other stuff, the additional reach for the 2x on the 100-400 may also come in useful, has anyone got experience of the image quality / F performance with either of these options?

I am having bit of a dilemma around which lenses to buy for the XT2, I am torn between the XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR or the 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR and a 2 x Tele converter. I need in the region of 400mm reach for aircraft shots, but like the idea of the 2.8 aperture of the shorter lens for other stuff, the additional reach for the 2x on the 100-400 may also come in useful, has anyone got experience of the image quality / F performance with either of these options?

Not certain ; but I think Jelster (Steve) has both of these lenses.

I'm sure he'll be able comment when he sees your post.

I have both lenses, but only the 1.4x TC. This works fine on both lenses, but the 100-400 sees an impact on AF performance. IQ is okay but AF suffers for sure. On the 50-140 the 1.4x works fine, but having the 100-400 means I haven't used that combo very much.

Not certain ; but I think Jelster (Steve) has both of these lenses.

I'm sure he'll be able comment when he sees your post.

Indeed I do, although I haven't had the 50-140 very long (but I did hire one for a workshop to see whether it was worth it).

Quite simply, if you need 400mm, go with the longer zoom. It's quite manageable, I have a bad back and changed to Fuji for that reason, but I can carry the T2, grip, 100-400 & 1.4TC all day on a Rapidstrap without issue. (I couldn't do that with a 7D, grip and Sigma 150-600 Sport, which is about twice the weight).

The I use the 1.4TC a lot as my main subject is wildlife, and I hardly notice issues with the IQ. I have often thought about the 2x, but everything I have read says it's has noticeable effect on the IQ. With a 24MP sensor, I can crop 50% of the image and still get reasonable results, so I haven't invested in it. It would also make the 100-400 combo f11, which when shooting wildlife, means I'm unlikely to get the light I need.

The 50-140 is so sharp, focuses quickly, and is a joy to use, but for wildlife it's just not long enough. It was great the other day when a Robin came within a few feet of me in the garden, but that's quite a rare occurrence. I bought it as I plan to use it when I go out/away with my car club, and also to get back into shooting portraits. It will make a nice zoom set up along side the 10-24 that I already own, and the 16-55 f2.8 that's next on my hit list. With the 1.4TC it will give me 10-560mm covered in 3 lenses on 2 bodies, well that's the plan (unless an X-H1 come along!).

Seriously, if you need to shoot longer than 140mm, then get the bigger zoom. On an X-T2 you can easily shoot at 3200 ISO so it being f6.3 isn't a major issue.

Last edited:
Couple from the USA (Montana/Wyoming) last week with differing subject matter - both with fuji x-t2 - landscape with 18-55 and rodeo with 100-400

That first image is wonderful. The only downside is the few ripples on the lake that spoil an almost perfect reflection, but that was out of your control, and everything else is so rich in colour. Another one to get up on the wall!!

Indeed I do, although I haven't had the 50-140 very long (but I did hire one for a workshop to see whether it was worth it).

Quite simply, if you need 400mm, go with the longer zoom. It's quite manageable, I have a bad back and changed to Fuji for that reason, but I can carry the T2, grip, 100-400 & 1.4TC all day on a Rapidstrap without issue. (I couldn't do that with a 7D, grip and Sigma 150-600 Sport, which is about twice the weight).

The I use the 1.4TC a lot as my main subject is wildlife, and I hardly notice issues with the IQ. I have often thought about the 2x, but everything I have read says it's has noticeable effect on the IQ. With a 24MP sensor, I can crop 50% of the image and still get reasonable results, so I haven't invested in it. It would also make the 100-400 combo f11, which when shooting wildlife, means I'm unlikely to get the light I need.

The 50-140 is so sharp, focuses quickly, and is a joy to use, but for wildlife it's just not long enough. It was great the other day when a Robin came within a few feet of me in the garden, but that's quite a rare occurrence. I bought it as I plan to use it when I go out/away with my car club, and also to get back into shooting portraits. It will make a nice zoom set up along side the 10-24 that I already own, and the 16-55 f2.8 that's next on my hit list. With the 1.4TC it will give me 10-560mm covered in 3 lenses on 2 bodies, well that's the plan (unless an X-H1 come along!).

Seriously, if you need to shoot longer than 140mm, then get the bigger zoom. On an X-T2 you can easily shoot at 3200 ISO so it being f6.3 isn't a major issue.
Thanks very much for the insight. :)

That first image is wonderful. The only downside is the few ripples on the lake that spoil an almost perfect reflection, but that was out of your control, and everything else is so rich in colour. Another one to get up on the wall!!

Thanks - The Tetons are simply wonderful to photograph

At 280mm (and the extra 120mm that the 100-400 has could make a BIG difference!) the 50-140 + 2x telecon is f/5.6, same as the 100-400 at 400mm (nudged a fraction back from 300mm, the 100-400 reports as f/5 on my X-T2). I occasionally use the 100-400 with a 2x or 1.4x telecon, almost always sticking with the 1.4x and cropping unless I think I'll really need the extra pixels an uncropped image will give me because the 2x converter doesn't help sharpness much and slows AF down significantly as well. A firmware update might help the AF issue but can't do much for the lost sharpness. Can't talk about the affect the converters will have on the 50-140 since I don't have (or want/need) one.

Guys - I am still (a year into ownership) struggling to get the XT-2 to work. I am now on body number 3, with Fuji falling over themselves to get it to work for me....this is number 4 that I have now, hired for a week. I need to set it up, I fly to Madeira at the weekend for a job.....I should have just bougt another d4s and stystem I think, but, I love the whole Fuji concept and so have stuck it out.

Please - what settings do you use to help me get the thing set up. I have tried so much now I have fried my already limited brain. Jeff, one of the Fuji ambassadors has tried to help - but even with his settings the things just don't work. They lock up on me, so it just goes black and refuses to come to life until I take all the batteries out, then start from scratch again - lost shots. The thing underexposes for some reason, 3 stops or more, when the first shot is fine, the secvond shot is virtually black then the next one is miles over (NO BRACKETING OF ANY SORT SELECTED. I DO NOT bracket). It just goes bloody haywire. Same with focussing...this is a brand new body, it just locks up on exposure, locks up on focus or just locks up so it won't even turn on. Same with the previous 3 bodies.

What the hell is going on? Remember, this is brand new, Fuji stock, body, lenses and battery grip thing. 16-55 and 50-140. nothing else.

Settings that will get me going? PLEASE.
Otherwise I am going to give up and hire a Nikon outfit and go back to what I know just 'works'.

Last edited:
Guys - I am still (a year into ownership) struggling to get the XT-2 to work. I am now on body number 3, with Fuji falling over themselves to get it to work for me....this is number 4 that I have now, hired for a week. I need to set it up, I fly to Madeira at the weekend for a job.....I should have just bougt another d4s and stystem I think, but, I love the whole Fuji concept and so have stuck it out.

Please - what settings do you use to help me get the thing set up. I have tried so much now I have fried my already limited brain. Jeff, one of the Fuji ambassadors has tried to help - but even with his settings the things just don't work. They lock up on me, so it just goes black and refuses to come to life until I take all the batteries out, then start from scratch again - lost shots. The thing underexposes for some reason, 3 stops or more, when the first shot is fine, the secvond shot is virtually black then the next one is miles over (NO BRACKETING OF ANY SORT SELECTED. I DO NOT bracket). It just goes bloody haywire. Same with focussing...this is a brand new body, it just locks up on exposure, locks up on focus or just locks up so it won't even turn on. Same with the previous 3 bodies.

What the hell is going on? Remember, this is brand new, Fuji stock, body, lenses and battery grip thing. 16-55 and 50-140. nothing else.

Settings that will get me going? PLEASE.
Otherwise I am going to give up and hire a Nikon outfit and go back to what I know just 'works'.

Have you tried different lenses? 4 bodies in a row malfunctioning is madness and incredibly unlucky. If you are still using the same two lenses it might also be worth looking at those?

I've never had issues like you describe. Are you also using the same batteries in the grip, and the same grip?

A friend asked me to take quality photo's (don't know why he asked me....lol) of his newly acquired Harley-Davidson today, I used only the XF56mm f/1.2 for the job and pulled back a little.

Harley-Davidson by APM Photography, on Flickr

XT1 - iso 200 - f/4 - tripod with 2s timer - XF56mm

I have a dilemma. I bought into the Fuji XT2 and now have 4 lenses. I also have my old Canon 6D which has been a great camera. I have quite a few L lenses. It still takes wonderful photos and I brought both cameras away on holiday with me. I used the Fuji most of the time and the Canon only once. The Fuji is just so much more fun to use, it’s lighter and the lenses are good. I’ve been pleased with the photos I get with it. I think I might have to get rid of the Canon but I feel really sad about it. But it is, and feels like, old technology. Oh dear! I hate decisions!

I have a dilemma. I bought into the Fuji XT2 and now have 4 lenses. I also have my old Canon 6D which has been a great camera. I have quite a few L lenses. It still takes wonderful photos and I brought both cameras away on holiday with me. I used the Fuji most of the time and the Canon only once. The Fuji is just so much more fun to use, it’s lighter and the lenses are good. I’ve been pleased with the photos I get with it. I think I might have to get rid of the Canon but I feel really sad about it. But it is, and feels like, old technology. Oh dear! I hate decisions!
Sounds like you've already made it tbh [emoji6]

Sell

It's difficult, I've been shooting Fuji for a number of years now alongside Canon and objectively I should really just keep one or the other but could never make the decision as both setups are great to use... Even worse I've started to add Sony gear as well now!

Have you tried different lenses? 4 bodies in a row malfunctioning is madness and incredibly unlucky. If you are still using the same two lenses it might also be worth looking at those?

I've never had issues like you describe. Are you also using the same batteries in the grip, and the same grip?

Same focal lengths, different actual units. I cannot fault Fuji for their efforts - absolutely brilliant customer service (there is a very large publishing house to kit out if I can get the kit to work) BUT, I cannot get the thing set up right...I notice not a single suggestion as to the settings you have the things on - just how brilliant they are for you.
How about helping me and Fuji out and looking at your menu settings and telling me what they are please? I have the Marlin Championships to cover and it would be great if I could go with confidence in the kit - so instead of saying how brilliant your camera is, just look at how it is set uo, so I can have something to start from. I have given up with my choices, because they just don't work - the histograms are coming out more than 50% to the left piled up. Regardless of what I set the shadow to (-2 in desperation, I would go -5 if it would).

Same focal lengths, different actual units. I cannot fault Fuji for their efforts - absolutely brilliant customer service (there is a very large publishing house to kit out if I can get the kit to work) BUT, I cannot get the thing set up right...I notice not a single suggestion as to the settings you have the things on - just how brilliant they are for you.
How about helping me and Fuji out and looking at your menu settings and telling me what they are please? I have the Marlin Championships to cover and it would be great if I could go with confidence in the kit - so instead of saying how brilliant your camera is, just look at how it is set uo, so I can have something to start from. I have given up with my choices, because they just don't work - the histograms are coming out more than 50% to the left piled up. Regardless of what I set the shadow to (-2 in desperation, I would go -5 if it would).

I don't use any special settings so nothing to say there. I set minimum shutter speeds as I want but basically straight out of the box after a reset I can just stick the camera in either shutter or aperture mode and shoot away no problems in either AF-C or AF-S modes. There is no magic sauce to just make the camera work, it just should.

If you were talking about focus inconsistencies etc. maybe we could look at what settings people use for certain subjects but fundamentally I am not aware of any settings that would influence the problems with lockups etc. that you are having.

Perhaps start off with a full reset and start from there without making adjustments, make sure the camera operates before making any changes.

Oh, and I have never said how brilliant the kit is, just that I haven't experienced the issues you have.

Last edited:
That's a start, thank you. These are Fuji's cameras and lenses now - well their agent that does the loan / hire stock. Brand new, never had the strap fitted even, all of them the same....white Fuji batteries, not after market ones. They have sent 6 batteries with each camera and grip.

I'll set it back to factory settings (seen that in the menu somewhere) - but they seem to be very solid shadows with factory settings, even with some +exp comp dialled in.

That's a start, thank you. These are Fuji's cameras and lenses now - well their agent that does the loan / hire stock. Brand new, never had the strap fitted even, all of them the same....white Fuji batteries, not after market ones. They have sent 6 batteries with each camera and grip.

I'll set it back to factory settings (seen that in the menu somewhere) - but they seem to be very solid shadows with factory settings, even with some +exp comp dialled in.

You know that Fujis dont expose like most other brands dont you? The ISO is out by 2/3 to a full stop as it climbs.

If you're based in Uttoxeter as per your profile you're not a million miles away from me. If you weren't traveling away at the weekend we could possibly have met up halfway and worked through things.

In the meantime it might be worth posting examples of the issues you are seeing (with full EXIF) as a starting point for us to help out.

Last edited:

I had 2 episodes of p/x'ing my Canon gear for more Fuji stuff. The 6D went first, along with a number of L lenses, which was followed by my 7D2 and long FL lenses. I just didn't use them. I held on to the 7D2 as I wasn't sure if the T2 and 100-400 was up to it, but of course it was...

The X-T2 is more than up to the task of taking excellent images, I think this thread is proof of that. What can your 6D do that the T2 can't? and is it a dealbreaker?

The X-T2 is more than up to the task of taking excellent images, I think this thread is proof of that. What can your 6D do that the T2 can't? and is it a dealbreaker?

:plus1: to that Sir.(y)

George.

Intrigued! Never seen a white Fuji battery (yet). Are they a new spec?

Wow this thread has grown since I last frequented it. I don't think I've ever upgraded the firmware on my X-T10. Must read up on that. I got the camera back out and took a couple of shots the other day.

EDIT: sorry will re-add , appears they've been compressed by google on the way up and down

Last edited:
I bought an XT20 from Jessops yesterday with the 16-50 lens. Had a very quick play with it but am very happy with it so far. I didn't get any accessories but really want a thumb rest, case and filter for the lens. Any recommendations? I had a D90 previously and very nearly bought a D7200 but thought this would be easier when travelling with children.

I bought an XT20 from Jessops yesterday with the 16-50 lens. Had a very quick play with it but am very happy with it so far. I didn't get any accessories but really want a thumb rest, case and filter for the lens. Any recommendations? I had a D90 previously and very nearly bought a D7200 but thought this would be easier when travelling with children.

Lensmate thumb grip
Lim's leather half case
B+W filters.

Effectively my route when I went from a D7100 to an X-T10.

I now use an X-T2 and couldn't be happier. Hopefully you find the same [emoji1360]

Effectively my route when I went from a D7100 to an X-T10.

I now use an X-T2 and couldn't be happier. Hopefully you find the same [emoji1360]

But not willing to share any info on how you make it work......

Back