The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I am in a quandary. I recently bought an XT-3 and bought the 16-55 f2.8. I am going to buy the 50-140 f2.8. I will get a lot of use from these 2 lenses. I propose to sell either my 35mm f1.4 or my 56mm f1.2, I tend to use these for portrait photography. Which one would you keep.

56mm f1.2 for Portraiture & 35mm f1.4 for Street.

@Ian W ...... I did Ian, he was asking which to sell. I was stating what I would use each lens for primarily (although I could have put it better). The OP states he’s into Portraiture so on that basis I would sell the 35mm f1.4.

I am in a quandary. I recently bought an XT-3 and bought the 16-55 f2.8. I am going to buy the 50-140 f2.8. I will get a lot of use from these 2 lenses. I propose to sell either my 35mm f1.4 or my 56mm f1.2, I tend to use these for portrait photography. Which one would you keep.

Depends which field of view you prefer. But keeping the 56mm is probably the better choice.

@Ian W ...... I did Ian, he was asking which to sell. I was stating what I would use each lens for primarily (although I could have put it better). The OP states he’s into Portraiture so on that basis I would sell the 35mm f1.4.
I know, I was just being facetious....should have added another smiley [emoji847]

On a serious note, I'd keep the 56mm (only as my 35mm made way for my X100F).

So Black is Good, Silver not so much :)

Best 75 quid spent and updates like a dream, will stop trying now on the silver one and get it back to Jessops as it`s not even a year old.
But the 56mm is very fast to focus on the other one :)

That’s good to hear, I’ll now update my Black quite a bit more expensive one later today and attach my 56mm to try it’s hyper speed. :LOL:

A couple of the Royal Albert Hall. Not the most successful trip. It was wet and miserable most of the time, the whole idea was to test out a new ten stop filter but I left it at home, and then I managed to break my tripod. Still, these came out OK after some work:

RAH II by Ian, on Flickr

RAH III by Ian, on Flickr

Will be even better once the scaffolding is down, so I can revisit (hopefully with the ten stopper)

My X-T3 updated with the new firmware with no problems, all looks good to me...
A quick question, I currently have the XF18-55/2.8-4 and was wondering if the XF16-55/2.8 offers any benefits other than the 2.8 aperture? I prefer the numbered aperture ring on the 16-55, but the slight downside to me would be the 60cm focus distance. Any thoughts either way?

A couple of the Royal Albert Hall. Not the most successful trip. It was wet and miserable most of the time, the whole idea was to test out a new ten stop filter but I left it at home, and then I managed to break my tripod. Still, these came out OK after some work:

RAH II by Ian, on Flickr

RAH III by Ian, on Flickr

Will be even better once the scaffolding is down, so I can revisit (hopefully with the ten stopper)

Like these Ian, love the colours. Which lens was you using (I had a quick look on Flickr but there was no Exif data).

I once hiked up a bloody great hill in the lake district to shoot some waterfalls, only to find that I had my filters, but the wrong sized adaptor ring :banghead:. It happens to all of mate... :rolleyes:;)

Me too - just picked one up from my local LCE - a used one already !! Couldn’t resist at £279 !!

Well ended up with a new one as LCE sold the used one before I picked it up !! But they did it at the same price so big thanks to LCE Derby !!

Hmmm, bit underwhelmed with the v3.0 update. Eye AF is improved a bit, but I can't say it is a massive difference (I guess I'm spoilt by Sony's implementation). I like that I can toggle Eye AF off quicker now though.

I've not noticed any change in AF speed, the only update relevant to that is for objects at distance, which I haven't looked at yet.

My X-T3 updated with the new firmware with no problems, all looks good to me...
A quick question, I currently have the XF18-55/2.8-4 and was wondering if the XF16-55/2.8 offers any benefits other than the 2.8 aperture? I prefer the numbered aperture ring on the 16-55, but the slight downside to me would be the 60cm focus distance. Any thoughts either way?
Significantly sharper at all lengths in my opinion and of course weather resistant.

You might find you can turn the pairing off in settings. I have a feeling there is an option to pair on startup.

Thanks Paulie. Think I may just take a look at them.
Don't over tighten a shutter release, it can cause the shutter silo to distort and cause the silo to rub or catch when depressing the shutter button. There are multiple threads about it on the interweb.

Reactions: DpM
Tried that and it still shows up on the screen every time I switch it on, think I will take it to Jessops on Thursday and see what they can do.
Have you phoned Fuji support? have read threads were this sort of thing has happened with FW and they were able to talk the customer through a fix!

Significantly sharper at all lengths in my opinion and of course weather resistant.

That was my experience too. I preferred the output of the 16-55 but I really bought it for the WR.

It's worth mentioning though that the 18-55 has some major advantages in terms of £'s, weight and having OIS. Which is actually better overall, comes down to usage.

Well the 23 1.4 and 56 1.2 are focussing faster after the XT-3 firmware update, not that they were a problem before but maybe they can lose that slow to focus tag now

Well the 23 1.4 and 56 1.2 are focussing faster after the XT-3 firmware update, not that they were a problem before but maybe they can lose that slow to focus tag now

Where are you seeing an improvement? I'm not seeing any at all, and these are my most used lenses. I'm not saying they are slow, they never have been on the X-T3. It's not as if AF speed improvement is even listed as something for the firmware update?

Where are you seeing an improvement? I'm not seeing any at all, and these are my most used lenses. I'm not saying they are slow, they never have been on the X-T3. It's not as if AF speed improvement is even listed as something for the firmware update?
I closed the blinds in my office, it's fairly dark, focussed on several different objects on a desk on the far side, was deffo better after the update. The eye AF also seems snappier but still not great with glasses, struggles quite a bit.

My X-T3 firmware update also went without a glitch, but like a few others, can't say I've noticed a massive (if any difference) if AF performance. I've also found that the Face and Eye detect although work quite well, however it seems to struggle a little with faces that aren't exactly facing the camera - say 45° or more off to the camera ?

Last edited:
I closed the blinds in my office, it's fairly dark, focussed on several different objects on a desk on the far side, was deffo better after the update. The eye AF also seems snappier but still not great with glasses, struggles quite a bit.

Eye AF is improved a bit, still a bit jumpy but not as bad as before. Personally I'm not seeing any change in normal AF speeds.

Went to go out after lunch, got to the lake, switched on, and this happened....

IMG_2843 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Changed batteries, changed lenses.... Any ideas?

(Note: It's a movie file, you'll have to click on it too see my problem)

Last edited:
:thinking: Why would the eye cup make a difference?
From my quick look at the video it looked like the screen was flicking on and off in much the same way it would if covering the eye sensor on and off. The eye cup could cause that.
If that's not what the video portrays I put that down to a quick view on my phone with no sound [emoji16]

Back