The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi

I have another beginner question.

After a shooting session, how do you copy photos from your camera to your PC. Do you connect the camera to the PC via USB cable or do you put the SD card into the PC (or card reader) and copy direct from the card?

It strikes me that copying direct from the card (in the PC) is quicker, but is there more potential for files being corrupted?

Also, do you guys delete images from the card in camera or when the card is in the PC?

Finally, once a card is full, and you have backed up your images, do you keep the card as a ‘master’ and use a new card (expensive!) or do you reformat the card and reuse it? If so, is there a practical limit to how many times you can keep reformatting the SD card?

Cheers
I use a usb3 card reader. As soon as I have processed the images I delete them from the card. they are saved to the PC hard drive, and to an external drive. I do not use SD cards to store anything.

Hi

After a shooting session, how do you copy photos from your camera to your PC. Do you connect the camera to the PC via USB cable or do you put the SD card into the PC (or card reader) and copy direct from the card?

It strikes me that copying direct from the card (in the PC) is quicker, but is there more potential for files being corrupted?

Also, do you guys delete images from the card in camera or when the card is in the PC?

Finally, once a card is full, and you have backed up your images, do you keep the card as a ‘master’ and use a new card (expensive!) or do you reformat the card and reuse it? If so, is there a practical limit to how many times you can keep reformatting the SD card?

Cheers

I'm using the same Lexar CF/SC card reader I've used for about 6year now. It's pretty fast at transferring. I format my cards after off-loading every single time. I also delete all the unprocessed Jpegs, and only keep RAWs from files I actually want to process. I open them all up in a RAW viewer before even touching LR and do my initial cull in there. I'm pretty ruthless when it comes to saving [or not] files. Probably because I really only ever process any image one time and that's it done.

I keep meaning to do a speed comparison between the camera and the "super fast" card reader I got with my last Lexar card...

Just a simple Fujigraph taken at Whitstable Kent UK of a row of Cottages that I have a special interest in (having recently bought one as a leisure time retreat). I thought with this snap I'd do a bit of juggling in PP to give a kinda watercolour effect.

X-H1, 10-24mm Lens, 1/1000 @ F5.6, ISO-200 Handheld.

Cottages (Watercolour)-03336
by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a Godox flash and trigger for their Fuji then I have mine in the for sale section.

Yes I really should stop buying things that don't get used as much as they should :p

He didn't seem to notice that between all your posts about weddings.
If anyone is looking for a Godox flash and trigger for their Fuji then I have mine in the for sale section.

Yes I really should stop buying things that don't get used as much as they should :p

I’ve looked, can’t see your post....

Has anyone had experience of lens repairs? I have an old 23mm 1.4 that today somehow managed to get a quite-big bit of dirt behind the rear element... I have no idea how.. But it really ruins images from f/5.6 onwards and is noticeable earlier...

So I think it needs the rear element removing, cleaning and replacing. Has anyone had experience with fuji repairs?

Bit disappointed tbh, I've never had anything like this before on gear I've really battered that's not weather sealed, even including cheap nifty 50s.

Last edited:
I keep meaning to do a speed comparison between the camera and the "super fast" card reader I got with my last Lexar card...
My plan has been scuppered, it seems with my X-T2, I am only able to view it as a camera on my Mac when connected directly, unlike other cameras which mount the SD card as a volume.

Has anyone had experience of lens repairs? I have an old 23mm 1.4 that today somehow managed to get a quite-big bit of dirt behind the rear element... I have no idea how.. But it really ruins images from f/5.6 onwards and is noticeable earlier...

So I think it needs the rear element removing, cleaning and replacing. Has anyone had experience with fuji repairs?

Bit disappointed tbh, I've never had anything like this before on gear I've really battered that's not weather sealed, even including cheap nifty 50s.

I bought a used X-T1 a few years back, and after a few months the rubber grips began to peel. I contacted Fuji Ireland, just chancing my arm, stated the issue and asked if they still refurbish them as it was a known issue for the earlier batches. They asked if I would like to send it in or have a set of grips sent out - I opted for the latter, updated grip set sent out for free and it was p*** easy put them on. Cameras was like brand new after

Hi

Cheers

SD card out of camera, and into card reader in my pc. Download into Bridge, and then deleted from card. Back into camera and formatted (y)

Forgive my ignorance, but what is ‘Bridge’ ?

Thanks

Adobe camera RAW, basically a 'bridge' between Lightroom and Photoshop, no idea why anyone uses it when you have those programs, each of them much better and you can choose to edit a file from LR direct over to PS anyway

Adobe camera RAW, basically a 'bridge' between Lightroom and Photoshop, no idea why anyone uses it when you have those programs, each of them much better and you can choose to edit a file from LR direct over to PS anyway

Thanks for the explanation.

I have not yet entered the world of post processing, so the the term ‘Bridge’ meant nothing to me.

I thought that I should try to get to grips with the basics of taking a photograph before getting into post processing. But now I’m not quite sure when I should start thinking about post processing. I’ve been unhappy with the vast majority of my shots, but recently one of my friends took one of my images and after putting it into Light Room turned it into something not entirely awful. So the main question I’m trying to answer is, do I keep trying to improve my picture taking skills or do I try improve the images I already have by learning to post process?

I realise that all of you on this thread are excellent photographers and so my dilemma is one you had long ago (if at all), but when did you decide that you needed to learn post processing? Were you still novice photographers when you learnt to post process or were you fairly experienced picture takers before learning LR, PS or whatever program you use?

Presumably those of you who learned photography in the film era started post processing as soon as you went digital?

Not even close there yet myself. I have purchased the Capture One software and played around a bit but mostly I'm happy with the OOC stuff. For me trying to get it as good as possible in camera is more fun than sitting in front of the PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a used X-T1 a few years back, and after a few months the rubber grips began to peel. I contacted Fuji Ireland, just chancing my arm, stated the issue and asked if they still refurbish them as it was a known issue for the earlier batches. They asked if I would like to send it in or have a set of grips sent out - I opted for the latter, updated grip set sent out for free and it was p*** easy put them on. Cameras was like brand new after

Fingers crossed they can look after me. I'm afraid this will be expensive though...!

Maybe they can take note and update it to be weather sealed in the near future... But like I say, I've had all plastic nifty fifties on the beach or in rainstorms and I've never had anything like this :/

post processing goes along with picture taking! Although at least with Fuji film simulations you can do some of the post processing by selecting the film mode.

I like "Bridge", and just don`t get on with LR at all. Bridge to ACR to PS is my route. Horses for courses I guess :)

I like "Bridge", and just don`t get on with LR at all. Bridge to ACR to PS is my route. Horses for courses I guess :)

Of Couhohohorse

e22fe3bb8bf2ffd39c6aa1d09371470a.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

I just never really understood bridge I guess. I love LR and disagree with every single person who says it's not good for Fuji files, as it's all I ever use. And they're free to point out my images as examples to why I shouldn't if they really want to, but like anything it's a matter of learning to work with something. If Bridge works for you then that's great :) It's like a halfway house :D

Sound like a carbon copy of me. Tried Lightroom and utterly despised it. I’ve been using the good old bridge > ACR > Ps route for almost 15 years. You don’t even have to open the file in photoshop A’s bridge can run and process camera raw within itself. Bridge predates Lightroom anyway, they just bundled all the photography elements into it. All I use bridge for is copying over ACR processing settings between images and viewing raw files with their conversion settings. I’ve never used any of the cataloguing, organisation or import features. It’s the one thing that annoys me with C1. It wants to be like Lightroom, making me import the images into it’s catalogue. With C1 I can’t open the images on multiple pcs and see the conversion settings as they aren’t in the xmp sidecar files like they are with ACR. Sadly I can’t process my Fuji raws with adobe without doing a dang conversion first as I’m still using CS6. C1 does a good job so I put up with some of it’s annoying problems.

The problem for me with ACR is that it's still as boring as ever and doesn't do anything LR can't. Been using LR many years now, I did use PS first, started with Cs7 I think, but once I tried LR [V.4 I believe] that was it. Unless I needed any layering or cloning done LR > PS all the way. With Fuji files you just have to have the defaults set up to suit and know not to over push it like you can get away with on other systems.

But, end of the day, nobody else really cares what we use to process once the end results works :) I've never had anyone outside of a camera forum ask me what software I use, let alone what model camera or lens I used for any given image.

Last edited:
I just never really understood bridge I guess. I love LR and disagree with every single person who says it's not good for Fuji files, as it's all I ever use. And they're free to point out my images as examples to why I shouldn't if they really want to, but like anything it's a matter of learning to work with something. If Bridge works for you then that's great :) It's like a halfway house :D

I have to say that although I have always been an advocate of Lightroom in conjunction with Fuji files, since playing with the free version of C1, I am impressed with its RAW file handling. I can't put my finger on it, but the output just seems better. However, I much prefer the interface and tools with Lightroom.

I have to say that although I have always been an advocate of Lightroom in conjunction with Fuji files, since playing with the free version of C1, I am impressed with its RAW file handling. I can't put my finger on it, but the output just seems better. However, I much prefer the interface and tools with Lightroom.

I have the free Fuji express C1, but can't get on with it. I've not seen any major evidence to show it handles the RAF files any better, and it's lacking specific options like easy masking and cloning. I'm sure the full paid version has these? Or should at least, as it's barely cheaper than LR.

I have the free Fuji express C1, but can't get on with it. I've not seen any major evidence to show it handles the RAF files any better, and it's lacking specific options like easy masking and cloning. I'm sure the full paid version has these? Or should at least, as it's barely cheaper than LR.

Well I think I notice a difference, but without the other tools it's pretty pointless to be honest, and I'm too heavily invested in Adobe to shift now without some major upheaval.

Well I think I notice a difference, but without the other tools it's pretty pointless to be honest, and I'm too heavily invested in Adobe to shift now without some major upheaval.

I keep meaning to do a direct comparison but unless I was comfortable with the layout I probably would still stick

I've been a lightroom user since 2012, it would take a lot to make me change, I've had a little play with C1 but have stuck with LR, I suppose familiarity helps here. I don't see an awful lot of difference in price as C1 upgrades are quite expensive (though they do seem to have a permanent 50% sale on the initial purchase!!)

I've had no real issues with LR and Fuji RAF files, so see no real reason to change, this might change in the future as there is now more of a link between Fuji and C1 which might result in differences going forward.

I've been a lightroom user since 2012, it would take a lot to make me change, I've had a little play with C1 but have stuck with LR, I suppose familiarity helps here. I don't see an awful lot of difference in price as C1 upgrades are quite expensive (though they do seem to have a permanent 50% sale on the initial purchase!!)

I've had no real issues with LR and Fuji RAF files, so see no real reason to change, this might change in the future as there is now more of a link between Fuji and C1 which might result in differences going forward.

same here. might just be due to what i shoot, but never had an issue. Im comfortable with my LR workflow and don't have any interest in changing tbh.

same here. might just be due to what i shoot, but never had an issue. Im comfortable with my LR workflow and don't have any interest in changing tbh.

Same here, it's the workflow for me, although I've dabbled with C1, I am used to, and prefer, the workflow of LR.

Well if you changed processing methods as much as you change camera systems, you'd be in a whole heap of trouble :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:D :giggle:

I thought Bridge was pretty much the Library module in Lightroom standalone and ACR was pretty much the Develop module in Lightroom standalone?

I did a few back to comparisons last year when I first switched to Fuji and I found that C1 files did look slightly better, but after using Lightroom since it first came out, I am used to the workflow and did not want to change.

First proper use of the XT3 last weekend at Sedgwick County Zoo and with the 50-230 XC lens all's I can say is how blown away I am.

Moving from Canon to Fuji seems to have been the correct choice for me. So natural to use, easier to carry all day and the images are lovely.

Last edited:
I thought Bridge was pretty much the Library module in Lightroom standalone and ACR was pretty much the Develop module in Lightroom standalone?

I did a few back to comparisons last year when I first switched to Fuji and I found that C1 files did look slightly better, but after using Lightroom since it first came out, I am used to the workflow and did not want to change.

ACR is not the same as LR develop, it's similar but more stripped down. I always thought bridge was the link between LR and PS, again like a stripped down editor.

C1 looks slightly better with certain images only by default, once you know how to work with LR you can make the images look much better in my experience. I have a feeling that C1 uses a hidden auto mask for sharpening, whereas with LR you can manually set this to your taste. If you push sharpening in C1 you will still get the old artifact issue, I've tried - you just have to push the sliders a lot more. I see very little between this and mask sharpening to taste in LR.

Bought the X100F yesterday, returned it today. Gutted. It's so small in my hands that I couldn't use it for more than 10 minutes without getting cramp in my fingers! The search continues....

Back