The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I am not going to get sucked into buying an interchangeable lens camera system just yet...... I really want to stick my aim of going back to basics, its the only real way to reset myself.

@snerkler IMO this is a very important statement, if you constantly worry about having the right focal length lens in your bag, and taking stuff out to cover every eventuality, you will not free your mind, and with the freer mind IMO comes better photography. I have never felt restricted with a X100 series camera, 35mm FOV is wide enough for general purpose photography, and close enough for portrait/intimate type work, though you have to have some brave pills and get in quite close. In the good old days we often just has a 50mm lens on a SLR, and made do, personally Im very happy with the 35mm FOV.

@Riz_Guru is right, its a great way to reset yourself, and if I ever get into a 'photography rut' I find going out with just a X100 series camera resets that.

If you constantly worry about that missed shot, or feature, then you will be missing loads of other photographic opportunities. I have done several holidays where the only camera I took was a X100 series (though I'd admit that these days I often have the WCL with me), but the one that opened my eyes was when I went to the Isle of Mull 6 years ago, opened the boot of the car to find that I'd left my main camera bag at home, all I had with me was an original X100 camera with a partially charged battery and a tripod for a weeks holiday. By turning off screens and working with the OVF (and definitely no pixel peeping!!) I managed over 350 photographs including going on a photographic workshop. It certainly opened my mind to the creative possibilities of using one camera/one lens.

If I didn't have IMO three of the best bits of glass for my X-H1 (XF16mm F1.4, Zeiss 32mm and XF90mm) then I think I'm now in a position where I would move wholesale into the X100 series, as it is I just think that the X-H1+lenses will just gather dust a bit, but still get used, but not as often as an X100 series.

Last edited:
I have found this with just about every Fuji X body I have played with. I know it's not the first time I've said it, and so have others, but the Fuji makes me want to go out and create photo's, artwork in fact. I just didn't get that from my Canon DSLR's.

I have a job interview this week, and should it work out, then a GFX will be probably be on the cards. I have a d850 itch for landscape, but I think going to the GFX 50 will be a better option. (Pssst - Don't tell the Mrs!!).

Steve, I would recommend borrowing (or even hiring one first), its a great piece of kit but does have limitations, if you do buy one than the tiltable EVF is a compulsory purchase.

@snerkler IMO this is a very important statement, if you constantly worry about having the right focal length lens in your bag, and taking stuff out to cover every eventuality, you will not free your mind, and with the freer mind IMO comes better photography. I have never felt restricted with a X100 series camera, 35mm FOV is wide enough for general purpose photography, and close enough for portrait/intimate type work, though you have to have some brave pills and get in quite close. In the good old days we often just has a 50mm lens on a SLR, and made do, personally Im very happy with the 35mm FOV.

Just remember one of the best cameras ever made, the Olympus Trip, had a 40mm lens on 35mm film (FF), so 35mm should be fine. I wish I still had mine....

Steve, I would recommend borrowing (or even hiring one first), its a great piece of kit but does have limitations, if you do buy one than the tiltable EVF is a compulsory purchase.

Oh there will be extensive testing. I will hire both and see what they are like when I need to do a bit of walking. Fortunately, the hills are quite accessible around here, so carrying either won't be too much of a burden, although the 850 with the 200-500 would make a pretty good wildlife set up too. I just don't see me walking very far with it!!

Both need to give me the enjoyment my X bodies do. Maybe just a pair of T4's (trade in the other stuff) and an X100V ?? We'll see, but the car needs some more horses first, that will be the first port of call.

@snerkler IMO this is a very important statement, if you constantly worry about having the right focal length lens in your bag, and taking stuff out to cover every eventuality, you will not free your mind, and with the freer mind IMO comes better photography. I have never felt restricted with a X100 series camera,

@Riz_Guru is right, its a great way to reset yourself, and if I ever get into a 'photography rut' I find going out with just a X100 series camera resets that.

Found a very inspiring YT video on the X100 (original version, I think):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-V8uxO1cNI

Found a very inspiring YT video on the X100 (original version, I think):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-V8uxO1cNI

That is brilliant, thanks for posting it. A few years ago I came across a blogger who had done a similar thing at Dungeness (@G.K.Jnr. is doing something similar now), everything was within one mile, and its something I've thought about doing, I even got as far as drawing radii on a map, but at the time I perhaps wasn't as creative as I am now, so it didn't go too far, but its something that's definitely on my radar, maybe as I recover from my broken ankle I'll go back to it, as I still won't be able to drive for a couple of months.

@snerkler I'd agree with @Riz_Guru the choice really is Leica Q series or Fuji X100 series, the Leica has some things in its favour, FF, lens, stabilisation, etc but that comes with a price, it is though built like a tank, but that also comes at nearly twice the weight of the Fuji.

The Fuji's have massive kerbside appeal, they sit there and say 'pick me up' and this really can't be underestimated, as a camera that is enjoyable to use is one that gets used more often and taken to more places.

Do I want a Q2, well yes, but I'm not really sure what I would be buying it for, and although I'm a 'wide' shooter, I think 28mm is too wide for general purpose use.

The X100 series for me just ticks more boxes, and along with being a joy to use. YMMV may vary though

If you constantly worry about that missed shot, or feature, then you will be missing loads of other photographic opportunities. I have done several holidays where the only camera I took was a X100 series (though I'd admit that these days I often have the WCL with me), but the one that opened my eyes was when I went to the Isle of Mull 6 years ago, opened the boot of the car to find that I'd left my main camera bag at home, all I had with me was an original X100 camera with a partially charged battery and a tripod for a weeks holiday. By turning off screens and working with the OVF (and definitely no pixel peeping!!) I managed over 350 photographs including going on a photographic workshop. It certainly opened my mind to the creative possibilities of using one camera/one lens.

If I didn't have IMO three of the best bits of glass for my X-H1 (XF16mm F1.4, Zeiss 32mm and XF90mm) then I think I'm now in a position where I would move wholesale into the X100 series, as it is I just think that the X-H1+lenses will just gather dust a bit, but still get used, but not as often as an X100 series.
TBH I’m 99% set on the X100. Like Riz I want to get out of this rut. I can’t get rid of all my gear though as I still want to do wildlife and motorsports, but I think I’ll offload everything barring the ‘essentials’.

I have found this with just about every Fuji X body I have played with. I know it's not the first time I've said it, and so have others, but the Fuji makes me want to go out and create photo's, artwork in fact. I just didn't get that from my Canon DSLR's.

I have a job interview this week, and should it work out, then a GFX will be probably be on the cards. I have a d850 itch for landscape, but I think going to the GFX 50 will be a better option. (Pssst - Don't tell the Mrs!!).

Don’t worry mate. Your secret is safe with us...mostly..

TBH I’m 99% set on the X100. Like Riz I want to get out of this rut. I can’t get rid of all my gear though as I still want to do wildlife and motorsports, but I think I’ll offload everything barring the ‘essentials’.
I good movie I think, however you have some replicated focal ranges on two separate systems.
Wildlife and Motorsport work is usually done in good light, so I would personally keep the M4/3 setup and ditch the full-frame Nikon stuff.

Just a quick thing on the quality fixed lens camera solution.

This is something I've thought about many times as for decades all I had was very simple fixed lens cameras but with digital what puts me off spending a lot of money on a fixed lens camera is the maybe irrational fear of sensor contamination. This may be much less likely than with an interchangeable lens camera but if/when it happens it's not something you can quickly sort out yourself with a rocket blower or a wet clean and it'll most likely mean an expensive trip to the workshop and that does put me off even if it's an irrational thing that's unlikely to happen.

Another thing that puts me off the fixed lens camera solution is that sometimes an interchangeable lens camera with a similar lens may be in the same ball park price wise and bulk and weight wise or close enough that it makes no odds.

I've looked at the Sony RX1 a few times but to be honest my A7 with 35mm f2.8 isn't significantly bigger for me as I'd put them both in a bag and the A7 gives me the option of changing the lens if I want. Ditto my MFT RF style cameras. One of those with a 35mm equivalent lens or the tiny 14-42mm kit zoom or both lenses gives a lot of options. There must be similar options in the Fuji universe and I do wonder if a Fuji interchangeable lens camera and just one or two compact lenses is a better solution for some than a fixed lens camera?

This is something I've thought about many times as for decades all I had was very simple fixed lens cameras but with digital what puts me off spending a lot of money on a fixed lens camera is the maybe irrational fear of sensor contamination. This may be much less likely than with an interchangeable lens camera but if/when it happens it's not something you can quickly sort out yourself with a rocket blower or a wet clean and it'll most likely mean an expensive trip to the workshop and that does put me off even if it's an irrational thing that's unlikely to happen.

Another thing that puts me off the fixed lens camera solution is that sometimes an interchangeable lens camera with a similar lens may be in the same ball park price wise and bulk and weight wise or close enough that it makes no odds.

I've looked at the Sony RX1 a few times but to be honest my A7 with 35mm f2.8 isn't significantly bigger for me as I'd put them both in a bag and the A7 gives me the option of changing the lens if I want. Ditto my MFT RF style cameras. One of those with a 35mm equivalent lens or the tiny 14-42mm kit zoom or both lenses gives a lot of options. There must be similar options in the Fuji universe and I do wonder if a Fuji interchangeable lens camera and just one or two compact lenses is a better solution for some than a fixed lens camera?

You are right - it's irrational!!! Its also irrational to have so many 35mm and 50mm legacy lenses.....each to their own.

Well to be fair to lens collectors who do use them as well as I do... Collecting lenses that are all slightly different is interesting as there's the research and the hunt to find them, finding good copies at good prices and working out what the differences are and what's good for what effect. Plus it's a relatively cheap hobby as mostly the lenses are... cheap and sometimes very cheap. Some of mine cost under £20 and there are people who'd spend a lot more than that on a strap.

I just thought I'd ask the question as swapping gear is fun, there's no doubt about that, and it can reinvigorate an interest but sometimes I worry a little that those doing it could end up being just as lacking in interest and motivation once the honeymoon period is over or when they realise that having just that one lens is in reality rather limiting and just a little uninspiring.

Maybe just mounting one lens on what we have for a month and seeing how it goes could help.

That's what I've been weighing up the last few days, I could get an X-T30 and 23mm f2 cheaper than the X100V and have the flexibility of changing lenses if I wish.

That's what I've been weighing up the last few days, I could get an X-T30 and 23mm f2 cheaper than the X100V and have the flexibility of changing lenses if I wish.

Stop it right now, its just not the same, my wife has an X-T20 + 23mmF2 and the X100F is far nicer to use, more flexible and generally a better all round proposition.

The only limitations are in your mind.......

Stop it right now, its just not the same, my wife has an X-T20 + 23mmF2 and the X100F is far nicer to use, more flexible and generally a better all round proposition.

The only limitations are in your mind.......
See my previous post about being 99% sure on the X100V ;) I've weighed it up and the X100V is my favourite option,........... for now ;)

I good movie I think, however you have some replicated focal ranges on two separate systems.
Wildlife and Motorsport work is usually done in good light, so I would personally keep the M4/3 setup and ditch the full-frame Nikon stuff.
I do use m4/3 for motorsport and wildlife already using the 40-150mm f2.8 and 100-400mm. I'd probably keep those two lenses and sell the 12-40mm f2.8 as the X100V would by my new walkabout/travel setup.

As for the Nikon stuff it's a tough one. Whilst I don't get out anywhere near as much as I used to/should for landscapes the 18-35mm and 24-70mm f4 are nice for those occasions. I like the shallow DOF the f1.8 primes offer on FF, and the 70-200mm is my go to lens for the London Marathon and other similar events, the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 just doesn't cut it for these types of events.

Not doing much culling here am I :ROFLMAO:

I should be used to using a 35mm single focal length tbh, after all this was my first ever camera :LOL: (I used my dad's cameras before I got my own)

pt-NikonRD2-01.jpg

I‘m really liking my XT2 with the Smallrig L-bracket/grip. Better handling with next to no added weight.

I use the Smallrig L-bracket on my X-T3 and it makes a big difference to the handling. Without the bracket it feels too small, but it works really well for me with the bracket added. Folk who shoot mostly hand held might disagree though, as it can make the bottom of the camera feel a bit sharp around the edges.

and the 70-200mm is my go to lens for the London Marathon and other similar events, the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 just doesn't cut it for these types of events.

Is this you or your intended audiences POV, and how often do you use the 50mm at F1.8 ??? Personally I'd dump all the Nikon stuff, keep it lightweight, buy the X100V and WCL, and if you really really need a Nikon with 70-200 for the London Marathon then hire one for a couple of days (then you can always have the latest gear is Z7 replacement etc)

Either bank the rest or have a decent holiday!

An X-T10/20/30 with the 18mm f2 would fit the bill admirably. You could then add an 18-55 kit lens if you wanted something a little more adjustable. However, there is something special about getting cracking images out of a point & shoot....

Is this you or your intended audiences POV, and how often do you use the 50mm at F1.8 ??? Personally I'd dump all the Nikon stuff, keep it lightweight, buy the X100V and WCL, and if you really really need a Nikon with 70-200 for the London Marathon then hire one for a couple of days (then you can always have the latest gear is Z7 replacement etc)

This is the way I’d go. Sell the Nikon stuff. :D

Steve, "In my honest opinion" the GFX50 system is far better "image quality wise" than anything Nikon has produced, the images from that camera are nothing short of superb. I've been using the GFX system for close on three years now (hence my recent lack of input to this thread) having sold all of my Hasselblad equipment for the system.

A short time before Christmas I sold my GFX50s units to invest in the GFX100 units which in my honest opinion are just simply on the next level. I have also invested in the large format lens bellows accessory which has enabled me to shoot a lot more of our commercial PR type images instead off having to revert to using a full blooded 5 x 4 technical camera.

I obviously don't know your situation but if you can stretch to the GFX system then in my opinion you should go for it.

George.

(@G.K.Jnr. is doing something similar now),

David, The stuff that I'm shooting is mainly for a book. I've already done a couple of publications on Dungeness in conjunction with a writer, one on the old buildings and history etc, and one on the cottages etc. This one I'm hoping to produce 100% under my own steam and is solely on the "Things Left Behind". Its taking its time as obviously I still need to attend to my other committments etc, but as I'm still out of action (because of surgery) with regards to action type photography (F1 and motor sports etc) I'm hoping to spend a bit more time at my personal photography this year.

I was actually out on the beach at 07.00 this very morning (god it was cold & windy). Fortunately as you probably know I acquired one of the cottages at Dungeness about 18 months ago which I only use as & when required (the rest of the time I let it out) so this morning I didn't have very far to go to get warm again. Let me know if & when you're planning a visit and if I'm around perhaps we could spend a time or two shooting and putting the world to rights as they say.

George.

David, The stuff that I'm shooting is mainly for a book. I've already done a couple of publications on Dungeness in conjunction with a writer, one on the old buildings and history etc, and one on the cottages etc. This one I'm hoping to produce 100% under my own steam and is solely on the "Things Left Behind". Its taking its time as obviously I still need to attend to my other committments etc, but as I'm still out of action (because of surgery) with regards to action type photography (F1 and motor sports etc) I'm hoping to spend a bit more time at my personal photography this year.

I was actually out on the beach at 07.00 this very morning (god it was cold & windy). Fortunately as you probably know I acquired one of the cottages at Dungeness about 18 months ago which I only use as & when required (the rest of the time I let it out) so this morning I didn't have very far to go to get warm again. Let me know if & when you're planning a visit and if I'm around perhaps we could spend a time or two shooting and putting the world to rights as they say.

George.

George, a meet would be cool, I must get down there again, but it won't be until the second half of the year as I'm too recovering (broken ankle) and won't be able to drive for at least 2 more months, though I have just booked a trip to the Outer Hebrides for the end of May.

George, a meet would be cool, I must get down there again, but it won't be until the second half of the year as I'm too recovering (broken ankle) and won't be able to drive for at least 2 more months, though I have just booked a trip to the Outer Hebrides for the end of May.

David, That I'm sure would be a meet to look forward to.

I had my pump replaced last March and then quite a bit of work on a lung later in the year. Thankfully all went extremely well and I'm more or less back firing on all cylinders now with only a few restrictions. I still have to be a bit careful about catching an infection or something more sinister with regards to my lung but other than that everything seems to be pretty good. Strange before last March I had difficulty walking more that about fifty yards with any pace without getting some pain from my pump. Now I can sprint for at least 200+ yards and jog steadily for around five miles without any ill effects.

George.

I love Dungeness, I grew up on the Medway Estuary mostly fishing, and my friends & I spent many nights fishing the beach especially once we had our own transport. It's a lovely place, went back a few years ago and I still felt very at home there.

Steve, "In my honest opinion" the GFX50 system is far better "image quality wise" than anything Nikon has produced, the images from that camera are nothing short of superb. I've been using the GFX system for close on three years now (hence my recent lack of input to this thread) having sold all of my Hasselblad equipment for the system.

A short time before Christmas I sold my GFX50s units to invest in the GFX100 units which in my honest opinion are just simply on the next level. I have also invested in the large format lens bellows accessory which has enabled me to shoot a lot more of our commercial PR type images instead off having to revert to using a full blooded 5 x 4 technical camera.

I obviously don't know your situation but if you can stretch to the GFX system then in my opinion you should go for it.

George.

Don't think I could stretch to the 100 George, would love to but that would also cost a divorce bill as well!!! I want something to shoot the beautiful Wiltshire hills & downs with. I never realised how much I would appreciate the area when we first decided to move here, but being just about in Wiltshire, on the borders of Dorset & Somerset we are surrounded by fantastic countryside. I just want to make sure I can do it justice.... Dorset is 500m down the road, and Somerset is 5 minutes by car.

It's my POV, I only have things for my liking no-one else's (y). I always shoot wide open, for me that's the point of fast primes :D
TBH I've thought about ditching all Olly and Nikon stuff and buying:-

X100V with WCL
XT3
Fuji 10-24mm
Fuji 50-140mm f2.8
Fuji 100-400mm
Fuji 35mm f1.4

This way the Fuji 50-140mm would replace the 40-150mm for the Olympus system, and 70-200mm f2.8 on the Nikon. I'd gain a bit of weight on the Olly, but lose some on the Nikon. The 100-400mm would replace the 100-400mm on the Olly meaning I'd have no need for the Olympus system. The 10-24mm, 50-140mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.4 would mean I could get rid of the Nikon.

Whilst still quite a bit of kit it's going from two cameras and 8 lenses to one system and 4 lenses, plus a 'compact' camera.

Can I get rid of the Nikon though? The IQ is something special :thinking:

Gorgeous little puppy, congrats on your new family member.

As you may be aware, we got a puppy not so long back although she's growing up fast and is now 5 months. Here's a pic from when we first got her (sorry it's taken on a Nikon ;))

NZ7_3154-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Can I get rid of the Nikon though? The IQ is something special :thinking:

That's the kicker!!! But you were really happy with your Olympus shots from New York (and rightly so), so do you really need that Nikon IQ ??

(Or sell all the Olympus gear and buy an long telephoto for the Nikon, excepting the weight that might meet your requirements)

That's the kicker!!! But you were really happy with your Olympus shots from New York (and rightly so), so do you really need that Nikon IQ ??

(Or sell all the Olympus gear and buy an long telephoto for the Nikon, excepting the weight that might meet your requirements)
Thanks. I've always been happy with the IQ from the M4/3, but when I do want the creme de la creme there's no beating the Nikon (from the cameras I've owned), not only the detail but I love the 3D pop you get. In theory the Fuji 56mm f1.2 should match my Nikon 85mm f1.8 in this regard, but I'm not sure it does. Also, from what I've seen the 35mm f1.4 doesn't match the 50mm f1.8 on FF (OK so the Fuji is 50mm f2 equivalent but f1.8-f2 is negligible ;)).

Weight has always been an issue ever since I started with fibromyalgia hence why I've constantly been looking at swapping to lightweight gear. If it wasn't for that I'd stick with FF for everything.

It's my POV, I only have things for my liking no-one else's (y). I always shoot wide open, for me that's the point of fast primes :D
TBH I've thought about ditching all Olly and Nikon stuff and buying:-

X100V with WCL
XT3
Fuji 10-24mm
Fuji 50-140mm f2.8
Fuji 100-400mm
Fuji 35mm f1.4

So are you ditching both because Nikon hasnt got the lenses?

OR
A7rIV
28mm f2
35mm 2.8
55mm 1.8
16-35 f4
70-200 f4
100-400 f4.5 - 5.6

All of these combos are pretty much the same size and weigh the same as the XT3 combos. And using crop mode (APSC) is still 26mp so you can get even more use out of the same lens. Just another option.

Thanks. I've always been happy with the IQ from the M4/3, but when I do want the creme de la creme there's no beating the Nikon (from the cameras I've owned), not only the detail but I love the 3D pop you get. In theory the Fuji 56mm f1.2 should match my Nikon 85mm f1.8 in this regard, but I'm not sure it does. Also, from what I've seen the 35mm f1.4 doesn't match the 50mm f1.8 on FF (OK so the Fuji is 50mm f2 equivalent but f1.8-f2 is negligible ;)).

Weight has always been an issue ever since I started with fibromyalgia hence why I've constantly been looking at swapping to lightweight gear. If it wasn't for that I'd stick with FF for everything.

I’d agree about the Fuji glass and 3D pop, for that you really need to be considering Medium Format. You can get some 3D pop but the subject definitely needs to be at a certain working distance from the camera, further away and it doesn’t happen. The Fuji glass on the whole is very sharp with little distortion, and some of the lenses add a bit of character and some have different colour renditions.

If you do go down the X-T3 route, don’t rule out the Zeiss 32mm F1.8, lovely colour rendition, well built and nice to operate. But obviously F1.8 isn’t as wide open as you are used to.

I’m sure you will work it out, buy the X100V and force yourself to only take it out if the house, and see if that changes your photography, after I got the X100 it was the only camera I took out the house for a year (excepting a school prom which I shot)

So are you ditching both because Nikon hasnt got the lenses?

OR
A7rIV
28mm f2
35mm 2.8
55mm 1.8
16-35 f4
70-200 f4
100-400 f4.5 - 5.6

All of these combos are pretty much the same size and weigh the same as the XT3 combos. And using crop mode (APSC) is still 26mp so you can get even more use out of the same lens. Just another option.
‘Possibly’ ditching because I’m fed up and fancy a change tbh.

That is an good option to be fair, although the A7RIV didn’t feel as nice to handle as either the Olly or Nikon.

I’m not going to rush. 99% going to get the X100V and sell the 12-40mm then will see what happens after that. Apart from that ‘compact’ it would be nice to just have one system finally.

Back