The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

After being personally out of action from anything too strenuous for most of last year because of two major life saving surgery procedures I’ve been anxious over the past year or so to personally break away from Motor Sports photography and free up some much needed time to pursue my other business commitments.

So at the end of last year I decided to restructure the way we work and go back to the way we used to operate and just use local freelance photographers that were well known to us from each country for our F1 and other foreign Motor Sports photography so therefore I didn't renew any of my front line togs contracts.

Unbeknown to me at the time it was a blessing in disguise, for as you can imagine Motor Sports photography has virtually been non existent this year meaning I have not had to pay their high earnings while they have nothing to do. The demand for snaps from the agency part of our setup though has been huge. As I insisted that all our togs used company gear I now have a shed load of Fuji equipment that is now surplus to requirements and that I have not as yet decided just what to do with.

Some of the gear I will keep within the company for our existing staff to use at events in the UK but the rest of it will have to be moved on and of course show some financial return. All of the X-T2 units will go but I shall retain some of the X-H1 units together with some of the lenses. I should be interested to know your thoughts on what to do with the equipment. Some of the gear that will be outed I have listed below.

X-T2 & Power Packs x 21
X-H1 & Power Packs x 12
10-24mm x 4
16-55mm x 4
50-140mm x 4
100-400mm x 4
200mm F2 x 2

Any realistic suggestions would be much appreciated.

George.

After being personally out of action from anything too strenuous for most of last year because of two major life saving surgery procedures I’ve been anxious over the past year or so to personally break away from Motor Sports photography and free up some much needed time to pursue my other business commitments.

So at the end of last year I decided to restructure the way we work and go back to the way we used to operate and just use local freelance photographers that were well known to us from each country for our F1 and other foreign Motor Sports photography so therefore I didn't renew any of my front line togs contracts.

Unbeknown to me at the time it was a blessing in disguise, for as you can imagine Motor Sports photography has virtually been non existent this year meaning I have not had to pay their high earnings while they have nothing to do. The demand for snaps from the agency part of our setup though has been huge. As I insisted that all our togs used company gear I now have a shed load of Fuji equipment that is now surplus to requirements and that I have not as yet decided just what to do with.

Some of the gear I will keep within the company for our existing staff to use at events in the UK but the rest of it will have to be moved on and of course show some financial return. All of the X-T2 units will go but I shall retain some of the X-H1 units together with some of the lenses. I should be interested to know your thoughts on what to do with the equipment. Some of the gear that will be outed I have listed below.

X-T2 & Power Packs x 21
X-H1 & Power Packs x 12
10-24mm x 4
16-55mm x 4
50-140mm x 4
100-400mm x 4
200mm F2 x 2

Any realistic suggestions would be much appreciated.

George.

If you traded it all in, would you have enough for a GFX-100 and some glass???

Seriously though getting rid of a lot of it at once might flood the market and drive your return prices down - X-T2's are not worth a lot at the moment and 21 of them available in one hit would cause a small blip in prices, that said they make an ideal webcam with new Fujifilm Webcam Plug-In. I would trickle them out, or use multiple sales channels to get your best return. If you are VAT registered then you could obviously offer a VAT receipt with the equipment making potentially more attractive than other second hand kit (eg WEX/other camera shops) to people/organisations that are VAT registered, as most secondhand kit (WEX,etc)is on the margin scheme and non-VAT reclaimable

If you traded it all in, would you have enough for a GFX-100 and some glass???

Seriously though getting rid of a lot of it at once might flood the market and drive your return prices down - X-T2's are not worth a lot at the moment and 21 of them available in one hit would cause a small blip in prices, that said they make an ideal webcam with new Fujifilm Webcam Plug-In. I would trickle them out, or use multiple sales channels to get your best return. If you are VAT registered then you could obviously offer a VAT receipt with the equipment making potentially more attractive than other second hand kit (eg WEX/other camera shops) to people/organisations that are VAT registered, as most secondhand kit (WEX,etc)is on the margin scheme and non-VAT reclaimable

Many thanks for that David, that's very much appreciated.

The GFX-100 idea I had already thought of as I already have one and all the glass I need for that sized system. I could also easily funnel the returns back into the business from the X gear as the larger format units that I have are my own personal possessions so anything more could be put back into the company for use as studio units etc. And at the moment that's the strongest contender of ideas that I have.

We are of course VAT registered so that idea is certainly one well worth looking into.

George.

As Dave suggests, that's a lot of gear to shift in one go. Have you considered starting a small hire business? Or maybe LFH would be interested in some of it (especially the 200mm & 100-400 lenses).

Would be nice to see the kit stay in the TP ecosystem.

The trade against a GFX system is a nice idea too.

Oh stop it please :) I've still got a day or so to cancel my GX9 order (not due til the 05/06) and change it to the V instead.
I suppose the only saving grace for the GX9 is that I can fit additional lenses should I want/need to. BUt hey I am in a Fuji fan club thread so am not expecting anything less :)

Stay with the GX9. After all you don't need the beautiful OVF/EVF, that glorious tilty screen and the indescribable silkiness of the X100V body which screams out quality, tactile sensitivity and demands to be taken out at the slightest excuse, in all weathers. Or the larger sensor, the stunning Fuji colours or that dammed ND filter.

Nah stick with the Lumix..........you know it makes sense!

Hope that helped.;)

(I must have a curse on viewfinders, my Sony RX100 VA viewfinder went AWOL as did my short-lived GX9, but I must admit that whilst I did have it, with the trio of fantastic Sigma DN Art lenses, it was a truly lovely camera).

I`d bet a few of those lenses would be snapped up in here, George ... Silly offers not withstanding ;) Albeit, i`m not against a charitble donation :D

Many thanks for that David, that's very much appreciated.

The GFX-100 idea I had already thought of as I already have one and all the glass I need for that sized system. I could also easily funnel the returns back into the business from the X gear as the larger format units that I have are my own personal possessions so anything more could be put back into the company for use as studio units etc. And at the moment that's the strongest contender of ideas that I have.

We are of course VAT registered so that idea is certainly one well worth looking into.

George.

George you could always try a 'Bullet Time' sequence before they all go !!!

As Dave suggests, that's a lot of gear to shift in one go. Have you considered starting a small hire business? Or maybe LFH would be interested in some of it (especially the 200mm & 100-400 lenses).

Would be nice to see the kit stay in the TP ecosystem.

The trade against a GFX system is a nice idea too.

Many thanks for that Steve, that's very much appreciated.

The idea of a small hire business is not a something I'd want to get into. At the moment using the gear against increasing my GFX system is still the strongest contender.

George.

George you could always try a 'Bullet Time' sequence before they all go !!!

David, that's pretty impressive stuff to say the least. I like to think that on a good day I'm reasonable at photography but that sort of thing is way, way out of my league. But if I new where to start it'd certainly be worth giving it a go but in a very elementary way of course. :):):)

George.

How good is the X-E3 guys, Im seeing it really cheap at the moment.
I would be moving from an a6000, so it ticks a few boxes

Higher res EVF - I like my old manual pentax glass
Bluetooth LE - this is a biggie for me, my memory is terrible so I want GPS tagging, does it tag jpg's or RAW files as well, is it stable and works well?
How reliable is the app to transfer photo's between camera and my phone. The Sony app is OK when it works, but a bit of a faff at the best of times.
Similar battery life, so no lose or win.
No a6400 AF, but the E3 probably has better AF than my a6000 and Im happy with my Af as it is..
Nice tiny size so a genuine carry anywhere camera with the Fuji film modes and colours :)

I would lose the ability to swap lenses between my a7r2 and my 6000, but most of them are so big I wouldn't take them out anyway.
Before anyone asks, my a7r2 is used for macro/abstract, still life and specific trips out to take photo's, it cost too much and means too much to me to be my daily walk around camera.

I've watched a few videos on fuiji and vintage glass, seems pretty similar to Sony, I map the C1 button to focus magnify and use focus peaking on my Sony, any Fuji advantages on the E3 that Im missing out with my google fu? How is the E3 when shooting vintage glass?

Im looking for a nice small walkaround kit for my SMC K 30 and maybe the Fuji kit zoom as well until I get lens GAS

The T30 is an option as well, but bigger, more expensive and Im thinking if I go down the T30 route I might as well get a a6400, same price, better EVF and same mount...

Last edited:
More playing around with the C1 wizzy bits... Probably over cooked it, but it`s a learning curve ;)

H1 55-200 f8 iso200

Kent Countryside by Paulie-W, on Flickr
It is tempting to go overboard with the saturation at times I agree, do you have the styles pack too?

It is tempting to go overboard with the saturation at times I agree, do you have the styles pack too?

I tend to think i`m going overboard with everything at the moment ;)
No, not the packs from C1, but a few freebies, and one that I bought cheap (y)

How is your manual focus ring @bumper ? is it grindy at all?
my ring is nice and smooth :p

Just set it up with back button focus and manual focus peaking on the ring. It's really smooth, no grinding etc..
Still going through the settings to fine tune everything, batteries took ages to charge. The manual states up to 5hrs charging in camera!

Capture 1 express for Fuji looks like a bargain.I wouldnt benefit from the pro version.
Who's using it and how are you getting on with it,I seem to recall I liked the results a few years back with the Sony version.

Capture 1 express for Fuji looks like a bargain.I wouldnt benefit from the pro version.
Who's using it and how are you getting on with it,I seem to recall I liked the results a few years back with the Sony version.
Have been using C1 for about a year now. Started with the free Fuji version then upgraded to the Fuji pro. Still have my adobe sub but have opened LR less than a handful of times since the swap. C1 does everything I need and does most things better than C1.

i need to buy a couple of xtra batteries for XT1. what are the go to non fuji ones these days please?

Last edited:
Have been using C1 for about a year now. Started with the free Fuji version then upgraded to the Fuji pro. Still have my adobe sub but have opened LR less than a handful of times since the swap. C1 does everything I need and does most things better than C1.
thanks Nick, i assume you mean better than LR? :)

where's everyone ,in bed? lol

Nope! Up and eagerly awaiting today's delivery.....

Anyone find they needed to upgrade the XT1 eyecup ,ive not tried the original yet but I hear some do?

The long eyecup is nice but not for everyone

i need to buy a couple of xtra batteries for XT1. what are the go to non fuji ones these days please?

Ex-Pro white

David - still a LR user and not likely to switch to C1

Last edited:
what you got coming David?

Going to have a play with video (some projects for me and some for my wife) got some new toys and some on order

Have already received a pair of these

IMG_1657.jpg

Got one of these coming today

H5_Hero_2.png

and got one of these on pre-order

c6c0ac48054e00c4da7f44ab78df8a2b

I'm sure I can find some stickers to hide the fact that its a S**y :D

Last edited:
Back