The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

You'll find that once you've trialled/paid for it they'll keep emailing codes for you to buy it.

Glad it helped anyway, it's a better % code than when I bought it (y)

I'm really impressed with C1. So much better at handling the Fuji files than LR, and being able to use layers is huge. Didn't take too much to adjust to it after using LR for years either.

Might have to give C1 a go again, currently using LR and while its better than it was I can still see some minor issues, thanks @bumper

Might have to give C1 a go again, currently using LR and while its better than it was I can still see some minor issues, thanks @bumper

latest version of Lightroom on Win10 - with enhance details option is very good - I’ve not played with C1 for about a year, but I’m very happy with LR and having used it for nearly a decade muscle memory has snuck in!!!

Don't seem to be able to get that code to work (says it does not exist) - does anyone have a link to the program just so I can make sure I'm looking at the right thing please?

latest version of Lightroom on Win10 - with enhance details option is very good - I’ve not played with C1 for about a year, but I’m very happy with LR and having used it for nearly a decade muscle memory has snuck in!!!

Will try that, thanks

Don't seem to be able to get that code to work (says it does not exist) - does anyone have a link to the program just so I can make sure I'm looking at the right thing please?

The £129 with discount is a one off so no more monthly sub

The £129 with discount is a one off so no more monthly sub

It may have been a single use so dont know if anyone else has a code to share.

Enhance can take ages on my macbook on large files.

Do you see any major difference using the enhance option.

Enhance can take ages on my macbook on large files.

Do you see any major difference using the enhance option.

No I don’t see major differences and I only use it when I want to ‘enhance’ the sharpness/details in the image, most of time I think my images are sharp enough and since I print a lot of my work I’ve found that you can too hung up on processing- so now I don’t spend time pixel peeping, print it and view at an appropriate distance.

Enhance Details is quite quick on my PC (Win10) - about 10seconds for a 24mp image

No I don’t see major differences and I only use it when I want to ‘enhance’ the sharpness/details in the image, most of time I think my images are sharp enough and since I print a lot of my work I’ve found that you can too hung up on processing- so now I don’t spend time pixel peeping, print it and view at an appropriate distance.

Enhance Details is quite quick on my PC (Win10) - about 10seconds for a 24mp image
My macbook is starting to age!

Trying to keep out of lightroom now I've got capture one but I do run that and ps along side with affinity. Like you I don't pixel peep, a good photo is a good photo.

My macbook is starting to age!

Trying to keep out of lightroom now I've got capture one but I do run that and ps along side with affinity. Like you I don't pixel peep, a good photo is a good photo.

My PC is 3.5 years old #justsaying

I hardly ever use PS for processing - just adding borders or CMYK conversion for Zines!!

Quick sample from the V85 1.8 @ 1.8, RAW into LR, exported.

Click through to DL full size sample.

Nothing to complain about there, sharp where you want it, wide open, smooth as butter backdrop - did you have to clear any fringing? I've not noticed anyhing significant using mine even in harsh back lighting. Noticed a tad on some branches in some testers but general use when not trying to force it, nadda. I've found it nice and sharp [not razor maybe but perfect for portraits] at 1.8 but you definitely notice it improving again stopping down, even at F2.

Nothing to complain about there, sharp where you want it, wide open, smooth as butter backdrop - did you have to clear any fringing? I've not noticed anyhing significant using mine even in harsh back lighting. Noticed a tad on some branches in some testers but general use when not trying to force it, nadda. I've found it nice and sharp [not razor maybe but perfect for portraits] at 1.8 but you definitely notice it improving again stopping down, even at F2.

No, not really noticed any serious fringing, will test against strong backlight when I get a chance. I find all of them sharp at default LR import, I really didnt expect this kind of overall performance from these lenses.

No, not really noticed any serious fringing, will test against strong backlight when I get a chance. I find all of them sharp at default LR import, I really didnt expect this kind of overall performance from these lenses.

If you do find any artifacts or odd noise in otherwise smoother areas try dropping the default sharpening. I find 40 way, way too high for Fuji RAW files, I set mine to 0 and only add as needed, and then I'll mask it to where it counts. Alt + masking will highlight where it'll sharpen, in white. I could set the default to 20 or so, I find that more than sufficient. I feel as if XT files come already sharpened in comparison to other formats, and that's when people find the over sharpening artifacts, as they leave the default to 40 which tends to work better with Canon or Nikon Raws. I wish Adobe would fix this for Fuji files tbh, a lot of people just don't know this simple fix.

Last edited:
If you do find any artifacts or odd noise in otherwise smoother areas try dropping the default sharpening. I find 40 way, way too high for Fuji RAW files, I set mine to 0 and only add as needed, and then I'll mask it to where it counts. Alt + masking will highlight where it'll sharpen, in white. I could set the default to 20 or so, I find that more than sufficient. I feel as if XT files come already sharpened in comparison to other formats, and that's when people find the over sharpening artifacts, as they leave the default to 40 which tends to work better with Canon or Nikon Raws. I wish Adobe would fix this for Fuji files tbh, a lot of people just don't know this simple fix.

Certainly X-Trans3 and 4, need the default sharpening dropping in LR, and things like the clarity slider should be used with care if not at all!!

I know the whole sharpening thing is a massive can of worms and probably not noticable when printed in most cases, but it just bugged me so much when I was editing in LR that I wasn't enjoying the experience.

C1 looks completely different and much much better by default. Having to avoid using certain important features in LR to get the files working is not a solution.

I know the whole sharpening thing is a massive can of worms and probably not noticable when printed in most cases, but it just bugged me so much when I was editing in LR that I wasn't enjoying the experience.

C1 looks completely different and much much better by default. Having to avoid using certain important features in LR to get the files working is not a solution.

Once you have the defaults set up nicely you don't need to touch them again really. If you find you tend to always set sharpening to 20 for example, then set that as the default and no need to touch again. For the likes of texture/clarity I use adjustment brush to add it where I desire. Other than that I've found no issues with XT files and LR, the sharpening IMO is the harshest setting. I've tried C1, and tbh didn't find much if any difference

One from the V33 @ 1.4

Besides the 85, the 33 is the one I'm most interested in. Can you do a couple randoms at CFD, just any subject like a flower or a lens or whatever with no crop? Just want to see what kind of DOF can be achieved, is it better than my 35 F2. from the few reviews I've seen it seems the 33 might be a little better than the 23 in terms of CA control, centre sharpness wide open etc - it's only that 40cm min focus that put me off really. The 35 F2 only does 35cm, but that cam make a big difference, the F2 also has decent enough bokeh at that

Last edited:
Besides the 85, the 33 is the one I'm most interested in. Can you do a couple randoms at CFD, just any subject like a flower or a lens or whatever with no crop? Just want to see what kind of DOF can be achieved, is it better than my 35 F2.

Sure mate, will try find some randoms.

This is, by far the best way I have found too.

@Cagey75

Some MFD samples against busy backgrounds - V33 @ 1.4, none cropped. Hopefully gives you some idea. Click on link and you should be able to DL a full size Jpg.

Nice one cheers, I'll take similar when I'm back from town using the 35 F2, see how they might compare :)

Specs say fuji 35cm vs viltrox 40cm but I've seen a couple people say it's 38cm. So can't be that far apart.

I've found that to be the case with some lenses in the past, they would focus closer than stated in specs when you switched to MF, sometimes 2-3cm closer

Another furloughed day wandering the Welsh mountains. I’ve wanted to visit this location for a while now, it has a nice view of Tryfan. The mist rolled in not long after I got there and hung around for the rest of the day. I had a brief moment of panic when I realised I had no idea how to find the path again. :confused: I‘m very glad I kept an eye on my compass and map on the way up. I’m looking forward to going back as the area has limitless piccie opportunities, (when you can see more than two yards!)

Tryfan
by Jason, on Flickr

Last edited:
Blimey. First shot I've seen on this thread with that lens

:):) I have posted several snaps In this thread during the last year or so using the 200mm F2 including the snap yesterday. Its quite a beast but extremely good on all counts.

George.

So....... I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and I quite fancy a viltrox lens -

Talk to me about the 23/33 and 85.

My head says 85 for portraits of the kids etc plus 85 gives me some extra reach over my 18-55 too.

For those that own any of these, let me know your thoughts on these lenses.
Cheers

So....... I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and I quite fancy a viltrox lens -

Talk to me about the 23/33 and 85.

My head says 85 for portraits of the kids etc plus 85 gives me some extra reach over my 18-55 too.

For those that own any of these, let me know your thoughts on these lenses.
Cheers

Ill make it really easy for you, having tested these all a bit now Id say they are all great. Just pick the focal length youre mostly like to use.

Ill make it really easy for you, having tested these all a bit now Id say they are all great. Just pick the focal length youre mostly like to use.
I like easy - I think I prefer longer focal lengths so 85 is the front runner

Back