The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Rob. Tried again today. Better light. Jury’s out.
I want to shoot wide open. Hence using animal detection. Gonna swap to the 90mm tomorrow. See how it goes. Mostly the camera is struggling to identify Brody as an animal. It’s more than likely pilot error. I’ve had reasonable results at other times.
I know you want to use animal detection and it should work but have you tried not using it to compare results.

It could be like you say that it is for whatever reason struggling to correctly identify Brody as a dog/animal so by just taking it back and just using AF-C zone or tracking and see what sort of results you get. Would imagine you could do a fairly quick back to back test assuming Brody is a willing participant in these tests!

With the animal detection is it still attempting to find the eye or just the subject as a whole? If it's the eye(s) could it be a lack of contrast with the black on black essentially making it hard(er) for the camera.

I know you want to use animal detection and it should work but have you tried not using it to compare results.

It could be like you say that it is for whatever reason struggling to correctly identify Brody as a dog/animal so by just taking it back and just using AF-C zone or tracking and see what sort of results you get. Would imagine you could do a fairly quick back to back test assuming Brody is a willing participant in these tests!

With the animal detection is it still attempting to find the eye or just the subject as a whole? If it's the eye(s) could it be a lack of contrast with the black on black essentially making it hard(er) for the camera.
Rob. It’s just not reliably recognising him as an animal today or yesterday. Had reasonable success before. I’m gonna be continuing my testing over the weekend. This is the first time trying with the Tammy 17-70. Won’t use it again just yet.

Rob. It’s just not reliably recognising him as an animal today or yesterday. Had reasonable success before. I’m gonna be continuing my testing over the weekend. This is the first time trying with the Tammy 17-70. Won’t use it again just yet.
I’d definitely try not using subject detection before going back to old settings just to rule out the detection being the issue.

Can imagine it’s all getting frustrating though.

I’d definitely try not using subject detection before going back to old settings just to rule out the detection being the issue.

Can imagine it’s all getting frustrating though.

Well ticked off…. Convinced the camera is not at fault. Other factors including pilot error at work.

Thanks to Rob @Lost_Manc
I changed some AF-C settings yesterday and shot the dog. He's OK !!
Today I deleted All the action frames. combination of poor picture quality and dreadful light.
Had the Tammy 17-70 bolted the the H2S, shooting wide open f2.8
Disappointingly the camera failed to recognise him as an animal most of the time.
Might be a combination of lowish light and trying to pick out a Black Face with him coming straight at me.
More testing required, Seemed to do a bit better when shooting in Landscape not Portrait orientation.
Try again shortly, I'll keep you informed.
So, a static frame. Still at action settings for Shutter and ISO (Auto)
Processed in PureRaw

The Stare-2 by Trevor, on Flickr
Great shot Trev

Any advice please; if say shooting with a HX1 body, are there any free editing makes that would support the XH1 files I wonder? I'm presently using Adobe Lightroom 6 for my X-Pro1/XE1 files, but pretty sure the older Lightroom 6 doesn't support XH1 files.

Any advice welcome.

Regards;
Peter

Any advice please; if say shooting with a HX1 body, are there any free editing makes that would support the XH1 files I wonder? I'm presently using Adobe Lightroom 6 for my X-Pro1/XE1 files, but pretty sure the older Lightroom 6 doesn't support XH1 files.

Any advice welcome.

Regards;
Peter

Just use adobe’s free DNG converter

Any advice welcome.

Regards;
Peter
Try Darktable v4.2.0 it is free software and works really well. It has a nice browser (Lighttable tab) interface for looking at a lot of images, the editing tab (Darktable) is very comprehensive and once you find all the controls it works really well.

I transitioned from Adobe Lightroom v6.14 to CaptureOne Pro due to the subscription only attitude by Adobe, now it seems COP is going that way as well so I will transition to Darktable which is good as it is free and supports all cameras.
I also like DXO PhotoLab 6 but that is an expensive purchase.

Update..
Better results today. I had the 90mm attached.
Shooting wide open, Subject detection doing a much better job.
Still plenty of missed focus but plenty of useable frames.
Brody wasn't really in a zoomie kind of mood.
Of course much easier to follow focus at low velocity.

What's the rush ? by Trevor, on Flickr

The 90mm is a superb portrait lens.
Brody by Trevor, on Flickr

What's that ? by Trevor, on Flickr

Update..

He's a lovely dog Trev. (y)

Update..

Cracking stuff Trev, and the 90 isn't the fastest lens to focus either. I just love the images that lens produces.

Oh wow, a totally clean and boxed X-T4 for under £900 now. Not even used the leather protector for the strap. I would have bought this 2 weeks ago had i not settled on the A7R3.

oCwip40.jpg

QwDWBNA.jpg

hZRwGcc.jpg

Last edited:

Any advice welcome.

Regards;
Peter

Download the free version of Capture One for Fuji.

Oh wow, a totally clean and boxed X-T4 for under £900 now. Not even used the leather protector for the strap. I would have bought this 2 weeks ago had i not settled on the A7R3.

As someone trying to avoid well-priced excuses to jump back into Fujifilm, this is most unwelcome! Especially is it's mostly just for the 35mm 1.4. Must....resist....until....x-pro 4!

As someone trying to avoid well-priced excuses to jump back into Fujifilm, this is most unwelcome! Especially is it's mostly just for the 35mm 1.4. Must....resist....until....x-pro 4!

Do it, for my sake and the 35/1.4 is a wonderful lens. I love it. So much I am not tempted by the 33/1.4.

Update..

wOOw - what a beauty.....!!!!!!

Glad to hear it Dave

Thanks mate, at the moment I'm waiting for the NHS to get back to me as I asked about a Rollator that would help me a hell of a lot because of my COPD, as I would have the best of both worlds while out and about as I could sit for a rest whenever I need or want plus it would and can help me even more.

Thanks mate, at the moment I'm waiting for the NHS to get back to me as I asked about a Rollator that would help me a hell of a lot because of my COPD, as I would have the best of both worlds while out and about as I could sit for a rest whenever I need or want plus it would and can help me even more.
Hope they come across for you Dave

Anyone help ?
When I shoot Motorbikes, there are times I’d like to give the owner a print. I know the X-S10 can print directly to Instax Wide and would work well. Currently I don’t have one though. Can someone recommend a solution using my X-H2 or X-T5 ?

Anyone help ?
When I shoot Motorbikes, there are times I’d like to give the owner a print. I know the X-S10 can print directly to Instax Wide and would work well. Currently I don’t have one though. Can someone recommend a solution using my X-H2 or X-T5 ?

I think you need to send the file to your phone then print from the phone to Instax.

I think you need to send the file to your phone then print from the phone to Instax.
Yeah. Trying to cut out the phone step. Seems strange the I can print directly to Instax Wide from X-S10 and only smaller Instax print sizes from other Fuji.

I don’t think you can….very weird design choice.
The Canon CP1500 is a standalone printer with optional battery pack. Dye Sub tech and makes 6x4 prints. Will accept SD card. Fairly sizeable but looks like great quality results. Not cheap.

Yeah. Trying to cut out the phone step. Seems strange the I can print directly to Instax Wide from X-S10 and only smaller Instax print sizes from other Fuji.
I have also looked into this a few times and given up, in the hope that Fuji just sorts out being able to print to the Instax Wide from other cameras.

I have also looked into this a few times and given up, in the hope that Fuji just sorts out being able to print to the Instax Wide from other cameras.

Same. It's absolutely ridiculous that only one camera can print directly to instax wide, and it's not even their flagship.
Yes. It’s a strange decision by Fuji. Seriously considering Canon SP1500 and optional battery pack (plenty of third party batteries). Dye Sub Tech. Great picture quality. Just insert SD card and print. Pictures work out around 30 pence each.

Yes. It’s a strange decision by Fuji. Seriously considering Canon SP1500 and optional battery pack (plenty of third party batteries). Dye Sub Tech. Great picture quality. Just insert SD card and print. Pictures work out around 30 pence each.
The little Canon's are brilliant printers and I have been delighted with mine, especially when Aldi reduced the CP1300 to £35 in our local store last year. Thanks for the reminder on the non-OEM battery pack, just ordered one from Amazon for £25 ( the Canon is £180ish).

The IQ is brilliant on the whole series and very reliable printers too. My original CP910 is nearly 8 years old hasn't missed a beat.

If you can bear the pink coloured one, it is £119.20 on the 20% off EBAY promotion.

Back