The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

First photos on my Fuji gear this year, just some grab shots while on a walk in the mountains in central Italy (that sounds a bit more impressive than the reality - my wife drove us up to a parking spot in the mountains and I wandered maybe 25 metres from the car, on the flat).

1. A seven shot pano that I then cropped in very tight. I could probably have got this with a single shot at 14mm and not had the pano bend in the foreground
Heather-18-Pano-Edit by Ian, on Flickr

2. A few mountains
Heather-19-Edit by Ian, on Flickr

First car to car try using the 18mm f2, taken by my 16 year old. He’d never seen the camera before so dialled in a lot of negative exposure and didn’t shoot at my preferred shutter speed but hey ho. Subject is my 19 year old son

Mk7 GTi PP by damianmkv, on Flickr

First car to car try using the 18mm f2, taken by my 16 year old. He’d never seen the camera before so dialled in a lot of negative exposure and didn’t shoot at my preferred shutter speed but hey ho. Subject is my 19 year old son

Mk7 GTi PP by damianmkv, on Flickr
For a first go, I think he did really well (y)

Hello. I have an XT-4 and am very happy with it. I often take it out with just one lens but I wondered if any had a recommendation for something smaller that is small and easier to take out, like when I am walking my dogs, where circumstances don't often allow for changing lots of lenses etc. Thanks in advance:)
It sounds like you need an X100 - they are perfect for. that, I take mine out with my on mountain bike rides for similar reasons.

Aaaarrgh! Been away from photography properly for over a year due to some personal stuff, and sold my T-3 and lenses in the meantime. Now I'm looking at the H-1 plus lenses. Am I mad? toyed with Sony with the A7-4 but just can't replicate that Fuji feeling. Been looking, and prices still seem a bit steep for a used H-1 or am I that out of touch?

Fuji Battery Grip question please...

Do the batteries in a grip (in this case for the X-H1) discharge in parallel or in series? ie both at the same rate or one first, then the other?

Cheers!

I knew that I had read something about it somewhere! The left battery does indeed discharge - hence I was wondering if one of the batteries needed replacing!

Cheers
One way to be sure, is swap them around. That way the right one should discharge if it does need replacing.

After a bit of advice/guidance from longer term Fuji shooters. I shoot anything that takes my fancy, although I do like landscape and occasional street type stuff. I currently have an X-S10 which is paired with the 18-55 kit zoom, and a 50-230 where I need a longer lens. I'm thinking of getting a wider prime. Having read up a lot on options, the 23mm1.4 seems a good option, but my budget isn't great so would most likely be looking at used. The stand out alternative though is the Viltrox 23mm which appears to be available new from around £260. To be perfectly honest I'm not sure my skill and technical ability is at a place that the higher priced Fuji would make sense as (even used it's likely to be close to £200 more than the Viltrox). The Viltrox seems to have decent reviews.

And to throw a curve ball in there, although I'm looking at a prime (for IQ), I suppose something like a used 10-24mm would give some added flexibility.

I appreciate no-one can tell me what to buy, but thoughts on any of the above might help my eventual decision making.

Ta (y)

After a bit of advice/guidance from longer term Fuji shooters. I shoot anything that takes my fancy, although I do like landscape and occasional street type stuff. I currently have an X-S10 which is paired with the 18-55 kit zoom, and a 50-230 where I need a longer lens. I'm thinking of getting a wider prime. Having read up a lot on options, the 23mm1.4 seems a good option, but my budget isn't great so would most likely be looking at used. The stand out alternative though is the Viltrox 23mm which appears to be available new from around £260. To be perfectly honest I'm not sure my skill and technical ability is at a place that the higher priced Fuji would make sense as (even used it's likely to be close to £200 more than the Viltrox). The Viltrox seems to have decent reviews.

And to throw a curve ball in there, although I'm looking at a prime (for IQ), I suppose something like a used 10-24mm would give some added flexibility.

I appreciate no-one can tell me what to buy, but thoughts on any of the above might help my eventual decision making.

Ta (y)
23mm F2 is great, about £300 new I think. Haven't used the 1.4 or Viltrox so can't compare, but definitely no complaints with the F2.

The focal length will be covered by your kit zoom, are you sure about 23mm? (get it for the aperture, forget the sharpness for a minute)

Ta (y)

As Raymond has said - You already have the focal length, what exactly is it you're hoping to get from a prime? For me, it's size/weight, and aperture. You won't see a massive difference in IQ. It will be noticeable, sure, but only to you.

I'm not a fan of the Viltrox lineup. Yes, they're "cheap and cheerful", but they suffer with pretty serious colour fringing. I understand that not everyone wants the absolute pinnacle of performance, especially for something that will only see occasional use, but you can do much better for not much more.

For size, the 23mm f2 is tough to beat. Just an all round good lens and is considered one of Fuji's best, and often recommended as every Fuji users first prime.

If you simply must have a 1.4, The Sigma primes are incredible value. They rival the Fuji optics, have weather sealing, and have fast/quiet autofocus motors. Price-wise they sit somewhere between Viltrox and Fuji. I always say they could charge double what they do and I'd still think it's a good deal. They're that good.

23mm F2 is great, about £300 new I think. Haven't used the 1.4 or Viltrox so can't compare, but definitely no complaints with the F2.

The focal length will be covered by your kit zoom, are you sure about 23mm? (get it for the aperture, forget the sharpness for a minute)

As Raymond has said - You already have the focal length, what exactly is it you're hoping to get from a prime? For me, it's size/weight, and aperture. You won't see a massive difference in IQ. It will be noticeable, sure, but only to you.

I'm not a fan of the Viltrox lineup. Yes, they're "cheap and cheerful", but they suffer with pretty serious colour fringing. I understand that not everyone wants the absolute pinnacle of performance, especially for something that will only see occasional use, but you can do much better for not much more.

For size, the 23mm f2 is tough to beat. Just an all round good lens and is considered one of Fuji's best, and often recommended as every Fuji users first prime.

If you simply must have a 1.4, The Sigma primes are incredible value. They rival the Fuji optics, have weather sealing, and have fast/quiet autofocus motors. Price-wise they sit somewhere between Viltrox and Fuji. I always say they could charge double what they do and I'd still think it's a good deal. They're that good.

Thanks for the quick responses folks. I guess in answer to Raymond and Jamie, in part that's my naiveté around photography. Although I'm knocking on (well 63) I came late to photography and it's primarily a hobby and, for the most part I'd describe myself as a someone who takes lots of photos (with phone, and my three cameras) rather than someone with great technical understanding beyond the basics - although I'm learning all the time!

Part of it comes down to reading/hearing a lot that primes are better than zooms for IQ - though I understand the differences may be minimal, especially of all the other parameters are nailed.I'm absolutely not a pixel peeper, but I do want to get the best I can from my gear.

The aperture issue is a good point. my two stock fuji lenses art at 2.8 (18-55) and 4.5 (50-230), so a brighter/faster lens will obviously have benefits that make any minor improvement in IQ moot.

I'm not wedded to the idea of a 23mm either, but it seems like a focal length that gets a lot of love amongst Fuji owners (and yes the 18-55 does cover it, but at the expense of aperture).

All helpful stuff. thanks folks.

Ta (y)
I have the 23mm f1.4 and whilst it is a great lens it is a bit behind the newer ones for AF etc. If your main stuff is landscape I find a 16mm a great FL although I had the 16mm f1.4 I sold it because I didn't use it that much but I have the 16-55 and not find I use the 16mm end a lot more. Your thought on the 10-24 is where I would bwe goiong if I were you it does open up some very different shooting prospects and covers the 16mm end as well. I have the new WR version and it is a cracking lens but I did have the older one and would say IQ wise there is no difference so a used older 10-24 would be IMO your best option.

I echo the thoughts of @jimmyjamjojo regarding both the Viltrox and the Sigma lenses, having owned both brands.
Cheers Malc.
I have the 23mm f1.4 and whilst it is a great lens it is a bit behind the newer ones for AF etc. If your main stuff is landscape I find a 16mm a great FL although I had the 16mm f1.4 I sold it because I didn't use it that much but I have the 16-55 and not find I use the 16mm end a lot more. Your thought on the 10-24 is where I would bwe goiong if I were you it does open up some very different shooting prospects and covers the 16mm end as well. I have the new WR version and it is a cracking lens but I did have the older one and would say IQ wise there is no difference so a used older 10-24 would be IMO your best option.
Cheers Paul.

All helpful food for thought. I’m not in a rush, so plenty of time to have a think about which way to go.

Getting some long exposure in whilst on Mull. Still struggling with getting good focus through the EVF when it’s so dark.
937241e8-dcbc-4a9f-ac93-28badfa30418.jpeg
Milkyway over a nearby hill

d39af457-1081-4a2c-8816-433e147b5a0d.jpeg
Venus casting light on Loch Na Keal. Mars, Pollox and Castor over to the left

Both shots 20s / ISO800 / f2.4 - Fuji 18-55mm

Crappy WhatsApp downscaling and iPhone auto-edits; will take a proper look at home. But I was excited to share!

Last edited:
As others have said, the 23mm f2 is a good lens, and you might find the mark 1 for an affordable price. I have one and get good results with it.

But perhaps you'd like to consider the XC 35mm f2, which can be bought for £159 from Wex. The glass is the same as in the XF lens but in a plastic body. You don't get an aperture ring, but you do get closer than the 23mm gets you for less money. Many people in this thread know how good the 35mm f2 is.

As others have said, the 23mm f2 is a good lens, and you might find the mark 1 for an affordable price. I have one and get good results with it.

But perhaps you'd like to consider the XC 35mm f2, which can be bought for £159 from Wex. The glass is the same as in the XF lens but in a plastic body. You don't get an aperture ring, but you do get closer than the 23mm gets you for less money. Many people in this thread know how good the 35mm f2 is.

Thanks Garry. Will have a look (y)

Last edited:

Ta (y)

Can't tell you what to buy but can offer my solution to covering as much FL as possible in as few lenses as possible - 10-24, 18-135 and 100-400 (+ the 1.4x teleconverter.) IME, wider apertures are less useful at wider focal lengths UNLESS you want to do astro, in which case a wider aperture can certainly be handy! IQ from primes is generally slightly better than that from zooms but in real life, the Fuji zooms are good enough for prints up to A3+.

Back