The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Generally all Fuji lenses have good optical performance, compromise tends to happen when the optical design is compromised ie zoom lens with a greater trhan 3x magnification. the 16-80 is effecitively 5x magnification whereas the 18-55 is only 3x magnification. One of teh elns with quite a lot of comproimises is the 18-135 which is a 7.5x magnification.

Therefore you can expect more compromises with a 16-80 than the 18-55 due to optical design. Sample variation may then occur as tolerance errors become cumulative

Generally all Fuji lenses have good optical performance, compromise tends to happen when the optical design is compromised ie zoom lens with a greater trhan 3x magnification. the 16-80 is effecitively 5x magnification whereas the 18-55 is only 3x magnification. One of teh elns with quite a lot of comproimises is the 18-135 which is a 7.5x magnification.

Therefore you can expect more compromises with a 16-80 than the 18-55 due to optical design. Sample variation may then occur as tolerance errors become cumulative
:agree: - Totally.

Really nice set of images. If I could sell my 18-55 for about £240 then it's only a small outlay to get the 16-80mm, and if the optical performance is the same then it's a more rounded lens overall. The only downsides are its bigger and a stop slower at the short end.
I traded mine into CameraWorld for £225, so I would think £240 is achievable in a private sale...

I'd read a rumour elsewhere that it would be called VI rather than R. I think R would be better.
I too think we'll hear about it around the Japanese camera show in Feb, it is about time for the next version to come out.
Interesting that the rumours suggest no IBIS, as that's about the only thing the V is really lacking (and the newer film simulations). I would expect the XH2/X-T5 autofocus too.

I'd read a rumour elsewhere that it would be called VI rather than R. I think R would be better.
I too think we'll hear about it around the Japanese camera show in Feb, it is about time for the next version to come out.
Interesting that the rumours suggest no IBIS, as that's about the only thing the V is really lacking (and the newer film simulations). I would expect the XH2/X-T5 autofocus too.
Personally I don't find the lack of IBIS an issue, with the leaf shutter you can get much slower shutter speeds if required.

One reason for no IBIS might be that the lens is actually recessed into the camera housing by some way, unlike ILC X-mount lenses, hence its compact design, there may just not be the physical room to get IBIS in without increasing the overall size or even forcing a lens design change.

I also wouldn't necessarily expect the full AF speed to the X-T5/X-H2 - fast electronics generates heat and uses more battery power - we don't know yet if the new model will have the new battery pack), and again the available space may dictate a throttling of af capability. This has happened in the past where the X100F isn't as fast in AF terms as the X-T2 which came a few months earlier.

I am contemplating a foray into the Fuji world.
I have a budget of around £1100-1200 and am thinking of an X-T4 and 18-55 f2.8-4 to start or maybe save a bit more for the 16-80/4
I do like a fully articulating screen, it’s the one thing I really miss from from my old Olympus, when I moved over to Sony.
Are there any other combinations in that budget range ?

I am contemplating a foray into the Fuji world.
I have a budget of around £1100-1200 and am thinking of an X-T4 and 18-55 f2.8-4 to start or maybe save a bit more for the 16-80/4
I do like a fully articulating screen, it’s the one thing I really miss from from my old Olympus, when I moved over to Sony.
Are there any other combinations in that budget range ?
I think that would be an excellent start. Those lenses are both great, you won't go wrong with either. There is also the XC 16-50, which I've read good things about but have no personal experience of.
I think Sigma make an X mount 18-55 too, that might be worth checking out if you can find a used one.

If you're going into London, why not go to the house of Fuji in convent garden. Then you can have a proper play.
That sounds good, but WEX is only a 10 minute walk from work. I will check if they have a table of Fuji first. I know they do for canon, Nikon and a few others

That sounds good, but WEX is only a 10 minute walk from work. I will check if they have a table of Fuji first. I know they do for canon, Nikon and a few others
Ah fair point (y)
Also keep an eye on the Fuji refurb site. Not the cheapest, but you know that you'll get a good product, and a full guarantee :)

Currently, using SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1, Class 10, SDXC Card, up to 200MB/s Read Speed, 128GB out of my D90 but, just having moved to the X-T5, saving is taking a second or two for raw uncompressed and fine, single shot.

Realise the following Sony SD is not on the Fuji recommended list for X-T5 but, has anyone have any thoughts as seems a bargain for £48 from Clifton

Sony SDXC SF-E Series 128GB UHS-II V60 - SFE128A

Thoughts appreciated

Currently, using SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1, Class 10, SDXC Card, up to 200MB/s Read Speed, 128GB out of my D90 but, just having moved to the X-T5, saving is taking a second or two for raw uncompressed and fine, single shot.

Realise the following Sony SD is not on the Fuji recommended list for X-T5 but, has anyone have any thoughts as seems a bargain for £48 from Clifton

Thoughts appreciated

Do you get a screen with "Storing" for a couple of seconds? If so that's more likely you having any setting in "Clarity" other than 0. Clarity processing is very processor heavy so takes a long time to process.

I just use clarity 0 on all my recipes.

Looks good but I really like the OVF and the rangefinder body of the X100 range.
Really liking them and finding time to use them are two different things - give yourself a good talking to first - in your shoes I would wait for the initial hype and then inevitable price drop of older models and buy a T or an F - then you won’t feel so bad when it’s not used for periods as there is less £££ tied up - you can then enjoy the camera

Weird seems strange.

Maybe try to do a reset on the camera to factory settings to make sure there is no setting affecting it?

Are you on the latest firmware?

Maybe try to do a reset on the camera to factory settings to make sure there is no setting affecting it?

Are you on the latest firmware?
The first thing I did was update firmware on Wed when the camera arrived. Set up as recommended by pal2tech on YouTube, then adjusted to single shot and Aperture Priority, during a field trip yesterday.

I may try setting C1 to current settings before factory resetting, then see what happens.

Thoughts appreciated
The V number is the important one for writing, but I use UHS1 San Disk Extreme Pros and Extremes, both of which have a V rating of v30.
I don't get any storing messages. But the difference from your scenario is that I shoot raw to both cards, not raw+jpg, and I use the lossless compression.
Maybe have a try with those settings?

The V number is the important one for writing, but I use UHS1 San Disk Extreme Pros and Extremes, both of which have a V rating of v30.
I don't get any storing messages. But the difference from your scenario is that I shoot raw to both cards, not raw+jpg, and I use the lossless compression.
Maybe have a try with those settings?
Using the same card as yourself. Tried setting Raw to card 1 and JPEG to card 2, does not help. Want to try just saving Raw, searched everywhere to try to find how, failed.

The IQ menu under Image Quality only shows Fine, Normal, Fine + Raw and Normal + Raw, not just Raw what the heck am I doing wrong?

Using the same card as yourself. Tried setting Raw to card 1 and JPEG to card 2, does not help. Want to try just saving Raw, searched everywhere to try to find how, failed.

The IQ menu under Image Quality only shows Fine, Normal, Fine + Raw and Normal + Raw, not just Raw what the heck am I doing wrong?

Definitely some setting you probably have that's messing it up. The same IQ menu in mine shows Fine, Normal, Fine+Raw, Normal+Raw and Raw.

What is your drive dial set to? The dial within the ISO dial. If I set mine to "ADV" the "Raw" disappears from said menu. Make sure your drive dial is set to S, CL or CH and try again?

Definitely some setting you probably have that's messing it up. The same IQ menu in mine shows Fine, Normal, Fine+Raw, Normal+Raw and Raw.

What is your drive dial set to? The dial within the ISO dial. If I set mine to "ADV" the "Raw" disappears from said menu. Make sure your drive dial is set to S, CL or CH and try again?
Ahhh I have it, the was not set to one of the three you mentioned. 'Raw' only now appear and 'Storing' does not appear. I wonder why a relatively small Jpeg makes all the difference?

Once again, many thanks.

Ahhh I have it, the was not set to one of the three you mentioned. 'Raw' only now appear and 'Storing' does not appear. I wonder why a relatively small Jpeg makes all the difference?

Once again, many thanks.
I'd only ever shot RAW+JPG before on my X-T3 and hadn't seen the issue you're reporting on that.
So, I've just configured RAW+JPG (FINE) on my X-T5 and taken a few test shots. I'm not seeing the storing message or any perceivable slowdown writing to the card.

There must be some additional processing undertaken converting the raw to jpg before writing to the card, but storing indicates the writing stage (at least in my mind).

Two things come to mind.
1. Is it a counterfeit card and slower than it should be? (do you have any other good known cards? That said if it worked in the D90, it's likely to be fine).
2. It's worth contacting Fuji support. I've only ever had gooe experiences with them. There might be an issue with your X-T5 and it's better to get it fixed straight away whilst hopefully still in warrenty.

Worth running crystaldiskmark against the cards to compare speeds.

Hey all.
I've picked up a TTartisan 27mm f/2.8 for my X-T30ii but I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of vignetting, and think it's too narrow for what I want it for (city pics, buildings etc).
I thought about getting the 18mm f/2 instead as I want a pancake lens, but are there any alternative primes would you recommend instead?
I also have the 18-55mm f/2.8-4...
Thanks!

Back