The Film & Conventional Spring is sprung meet up.

Dates and locations, pick as many as appeal.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Being a 'cheat' has enabled me to get some images up already (would have done yesterday, but managed an urbex session, and got stuck into processing them instead).

The unusual suspects.
Oxfordwalk-8330 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Radcliffe Camera.
Oxfordwalk-8389 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Down by the riverside.
Oxfordwalk-8635 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Nick.
Oxfordwalk-8641 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Oxford across Christchurch meadow (I think).
Oxfordwalk-8677 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Daffs.
Oxfordwalk-8689 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

The footbridge.
Oxfordwalk- by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

High Street.
Oxfordwalk-8698 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr
Good work Toni, great to see some images from the meet. I'm hoping mine will be back from the chemist by July.

All very nice Tony, apart from the first one where I look like Im berating somebody whilst carrying a sack of gold. :D

Thanks gents. I still have 'a few' that haven't been processed yet, but these are the ones I fancied doing straight off. It's not exactly spray & pray, but I tend to be a little shaky and shoot 3 or 4 frames of each scene in the hope of at least one being sharp, but it does mean one ends up with a lot of images to look through & bin.

You know, I've got a feeling these digital camera things might catch on. Still, it wouldn't be the same without the feeling of actually putting a film in a camera, and adding all those things that could potentially go wrong at any step of the way adding to the challenge of pressing the shutter button when you see something suitable. :) ;)

You know, I've got a feeling these digital camera things might catch on. Still, it wouldn't be the same without the feeling of actually putting a film in a camera, and adding all those things that could potentially go wrong at any step of the way adding to the challenge of pressing the shutter button when you see something suitable. :) ;)

And film made life so much easier. I shot nearly 400 frames on Saturday, and seem to have a 'keeper' rate around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4: this is taking hours to process, compared with film where I'd just have dropped the films off and picked them up next day (tightwad me - no 30min processing at a premium) and then shoved the enprints in a draw because I was disappointed. :p

Guess it shows that if I were selective & careful then I could have got away with just 3 rolls too. :)

3 rolls? Blimey, machine gun tactics! ;) Get yourself something like a 1950s Ensign Selfix 820 folding camera and experience the self-discipline that is manual everything, no coupled viewfinder and just 8 shots per roll! :LOL: Now that does save some time in post processing! :D

Last edited:
3 rolls? Blimey, machine gun tactics! ;) Get yourself something like a 1950s Ensign Selfix 820 folding camera and experience the self-discipline that is manual everything, no coupled viewfinder and just 8 shots per roll! :LOL: Now that does save some time in post processing! :D

I've had the pleasure of that technology (IIRC it was an Agfa or possibly Kodak of some kind) and it has it's place, although that's probably in a glass case *most* of the time. ;)

You're right, I wouldn't like to have to use one for every day type stuff, no wonder people take more photos these days! Still, on a nice sunny day, when all you want is to potter about, slow right down and enjoy a picture taking experience, wringing a good photo out of a vintage film camera can be a very satisfying and enjoyable experience. :)

I used to work for Wellcome Research Labs in Beckenham in the 80s, and we had an old Olympus microscope that had an all-mechanical 35mm camera (curiously not olympus) attachment with WLF for photomicrography, plus a set of extension tubes. It was fun to borrow that for the odd lunchtime wander in the local park, trying to find interesting things to take close-up pictures of. I also did a portfolio shoot for one of the girls in the same company in a local park using a (new) Lubitel 166, which was kind of fun and mildly challenging.

At some stage I will run a film through *something* if for no other reason than to prove to myself that I still can.

Having just made a post about the prism on my Exakta Varex suffering following a fall from a microscope, and given that Exaktas were popular lab camera with interchangeable finders, I'm wondering if the "mechanical 35mm" could have been one.

I think it may well have been, although my memory is a little fuzzy since I last handled it in 1989, and I'm not completely certain I know where the negs are now.

Amazing what film does to colours (and colour balance).

It's amazing what I do to colour and colour balance. I'm red/green colour blind and I often mess up colour shots but I've given up worrying about it now, if it looks good to me that's good enough. :D

Great shots Andy, I'm sure I can see Lyra Belacqua playing on the rooftops...

Ah,it took me a moment but I eventually got the Phillip Pullman reference. :D

I beg your pardon - Partners in construction, if you please. ;)

Was that the yellow filter - nice control of skies there.

No, just a uv filter. It appears I'm actually an expert photographer :banana::D

I got my films back yesterday (and devved the black and white the day before). I was surprised that the lighting in the church in Oxford was so yellow for the first 4 shots... then I remembered that I swapped the lens over and forgot to change the orange filter!

It is yuck. :(

There may be some interesting shots in there somewhere, if I find any I'll post them. I did notice a group of bearded poseurs in one shot....

When I first saw mention of this meet I thought I might attend, as I still have some outdated film in the fridge and am fairly local to Oxford. I then forgot about it until I read the thread today. As it so happened I was in Oxford on the 1st, but late in the afternoon. Don't think I saw a group with film cameras anywhere. I did comment to a photographer about the nice light who had also been shooting over the fence into the botanical garden, but he was using digital as I was. Two shots from the afternoon in Oxford are on my Flickr. Shame, I could have brought 35mm Canon or Nikon, a Mamiya C220 or my Toyo 45A LF kit. It's all under utilised these days. The last of my chemistry is has probably gone off, although somewhere there are packets of unopened developer powder. Perhaps another time.

When I first saw mention of this meet I thought I might attend, as I still have some outdated film in the fridge and am fairly local to Oxford. I then forgot about it until I read the thread today. As it so happened I was in Oxford on the 1st, but late in the afternoon. Don't think I saw a group with film cameras anywhere. I did comment to a photographer about the nice light who had also been shooting over the fence into the botanical garden, but he was using digital as I was. Two shots from the afternoon in Oxford are on my Flickr. Shame, I could have brought 35mm Canon or Nikon, a Mamiya C220 or my Toyo 45A LF kit. It's all under utilised these days. The last of my chemistry is has probably gone off, although somewhere there are packets of unopened developer powder. Perhaps another time.

That's a shame, Steve. We are quite open-minded, we even allowed a full digi shooter along this time ;) !

We did wander by the Botanics but decided against going in as we were all to cheapskate to pay the entrance fee (I'm sure last time I was there it was free). Later we ended up in Christchurch Meadow... at least, that's where I left the mob.

I did comment to a photographer about the nice light who had also been shooting over the fence into the botanical garden, but he was using digital as I was.
He didn't happen to be quite tall, "well built" and have a scruffy beard, did he? Because someone mentioned the light to me around that area and my F100 could easily be mistaken for a digital camera.

He didn't happen to be quite tall, "well built" and have a scruffy beard, did he? Because someone mentioned the light to me around that area and my F100 could easily be mistaken for a digital camera.

You were looking at a reflection and talking to yourself again, Dean!:banana:

Back