The "fine time piece" owners thread.

I don't wear a watch - never have.

I've owned this since not long after it was commissioned by a family member Squadron Leader.

I've decided to have a go at wearing it. I'l be getting a new battery and a link taken out of the strap tomorrow hopefully.

DSC_6336 by Simon, on Flickr

I've owned this since not long after it was commissioned by a family member Squadron Leader.

I've decided to have a go at wearing it. I'l be getting a new battery and a link taken out of the strap tomorrow hopefully.

It absolutely deserves to be worn. Not too dressy either, a perfect daily wearer imo.

That’s an absolute gem! A digital chrono and rare at that! I’d wear that with pride!

Thanks Andrew.

My research suggests that it's a Breitling Aerospace Titanium.

The commission is for the Op Telic and Tornado details.

This is vumber 28 of 50

Exactly, rare! ;) an absolutely wonderful piece that you should cherish. I know I would!

This is a bit of a weird one for me.

Watches do absolutely nothing for me. They don't press a single button. But I totally understand why people love them.

My motive for wearing this watch is that my father gave it to me. The Squadron Leader in question is my nephew.

So it's a family thing.

Well crikey!

I wasn't expecting to have to pay that much for a battery.

Still, it's done now. They gave me a lifetime guarantee and removed strap links for nowt.

It feels much better on the wrist than I anticipated so all is good.

And here's a steinhart GMT. Lovely Swiss piece with eta movement 2893-2. It's not half bad!

Luxury or fine swiss? It could certainly be argued! Thoughts? It's shiney!

View attachment 110333

Oooo, I've been eying one of those up - What do you make of it?

Meanwhile, my German engineering met it's British oppo...

rQN3IBa.jpg

Oooo, I've been eying one of those up - What do you make of it?

Meanwhile, my German engineering met it's British oppo...

rQN3IBa.jpg
And that’s a lovely looking watch too!

As for the steinhart, build quality is rather excellent actually. It’s quite surprising! The design lends it feel a little large though unfortunately. I guess it depends on your preference to size but with a watch like that above I think the steinhart will feel right at home!

And that’s a lovely looking watch too!

As for the steinhart, build quality is rather excellent actually. It’s quite surprising! The design lends it feel a little large though unfortunately. I guess it depends on your preference to size but with a watch like that above I think the steinhart will feel right at home!

Thanks! I must say I'm very pleased with it.

Steinhart do seem to get good reviews, I'm rather annoyed I missed a limited run of 39mm OVMs which sold out insanely quickly... I think I'll wait for them to make some more as the Stowa at 41mm is at the upper end of what I find comfortable, I think with the larger size and crown guards I might find the Steinhart too big!

started taking a few images of my watches

Here's the latest acquisition - Navitimer Airborne 33030

Most Navitimers are much bigger 41/43mm - this model from 1995/6 is 38mm and I feel that it can therefore be worn as a dress watch on the odd occasion

On a Breitling leather strap and buckle - the dial has started to fade nicely - lovely piece of kit!

A33030_face.jpg

started taking a few images of my watches

Here's the latest acquisition - Navitimer Airborne 33030

Most Navitimers are much bigger 41/43mm - this model from 1995/6 is 38mm and I feel that it can therefore be worn as a dress watch on the odd occasion

On a Breitling leather strap and buckle - the dial has started to fade nicely - lovely piece of kit!

Man that is nice, lovely ageing on the dial. There is something about a Navitimer that just looks right.

another one of mine that I have had for a few years

Omega Seamaster 200 M - known as the "Pre Bond"
movement is Calibre Omega 1111, (ETA 2892-2)

mechanical automatic from 1986

Pre_Bond.jpg

Last edited:
another one of mine that I have had for a few years

Omega Seamaster 200 M - known as the "Pre Bond" movement is Calibre Omega 1111, (ETA 2892-2)

mechanical automatic from 1986

Pre_Bond.jpg
Classic [emoji108]

Thanks Ian
I've a newer Seamaster quartz which I've been wearing for over ten years and love it, it's the ideal daily wearer.

Would love an automatic though admittedly have been looking at Panerai lately.

I've a newer Seamaster quartz which I've been wearing for over ten years and love it, it's the ideal daily wearer.

Would love an automatic though admittedly have been looking at Panerai lately.
The quartz are worth quite a bit now as they didn’t make or sell many. Almost the same price for like for like models quartz vs auto at the moment for he second hand market!

The quartz are worth quite a bit now as they didn’t make or sell many. Almost the same price for like for like models quartz vs auto at the moment for he second hand market!
Interesting. Mine is a mid size and was discontinued before the full size ones I believe too.

Well if your after an auto it may be worth trading it in assuming your not after more of the same
I do fancy a larger one tbh. The mid size is lovely, just want something with a bit more real estate so to speak (and the automatic is a bit more special to me)

Still playing around with "watch photography"

another one of mine

Rolex Submariner 5513 "meters first" from 1967

had this one a few years now - only now wear it a few times a year on very special occasions

which image do you prefer - probably the first?

the winder is out so that I can stop the watch at 10 past 10

5513_Xmas_3.jpg

5513_Xmas.jpg

5513_Xmas_2.jpg

Last edited:
Photographically, the first since the background's less distracting (the cartoon figures make the others look like they're aimed at children IMO.) From the watch's POV, while the hands are in the "right" place to show them off, the fact that the crown's unscrewed and there's no strap or bracelet fitted makes it look unloved.

FWIW, if I leave mine unwound for too long, it throws a hissy fit and doesn't want to work! That's one reason it's my daily wearer, despite it being the least accurate of my selection (the other, main reason is that it was Mum's wedding gift to Dad nearly 60 years ago so has great sentimental value and is a constant reminder of them for me.)

Photographically, the first since the background's less distracting (the cartoon figures make the others look like they're aimed at children IMO.) From the watch's POV, while the hands are in the "right" place to show them off, the fact that the crown's unscrewed and there's no strap or bracelet fitted makes it look unloved.

FWIW, if I leave mine unwound for too long, it throws a hissy fit and doesn't want to work! That's one reason it's my daily wearer, despite it being the least accurate of my selection (the other, main reason is that it was Mum's wedding gift to Dad nearly 60 years ago so has great sentimental value and is a constant reminder of them for me.)

Thanks Nod, I think that there is a member called Duncan, (I'm was sure he posted on here), who, as well as being an expert on watches, takes some marvellous images of them

As indicated I am searching for "props" to help with the composition

Last edited:
a bit more unusual

from the 1960's

Enicar Sherpa Super-Divette - 36mm - would have been a normal size for a more sporting watch at that time

the top winder moves the rotating internal bezel

Enicar_1.jpg

Last edited:
latest addition, bought on a bit of a "whim" as a "dress" watch

gold plated with a steel case ..... "gold" watches seem to be out of fashion these days

NOS, so in very good condition with a Landeron 51 movement, probably made in the 1950's

"Teardrop lugs" which are quite nice

chrono functions work and it keeps good time although the power reserve is only just over 24 hours, so you need to wind it at least once a day

difficult to say exactly who made it as many similar watches were made by a group of watchmakers in Switzerland in the 1950's

Chrono_1.jpg

A quick shot of my small collection of Fliegers. The Hanhart is my most recent purchase - really nice watch, very happy with it. Picked it up on eBay, the original run of re-issues are seemingly hard to come by, especially these hand wound mono-pushers. Who doesn't like a big red button!

We8U5EF.jpg

Last edited:
Just discovered this thread, love my watches as much as I love photography. My passion is Aviation so I love aviation themed watches.
My collection ranges from a basic old Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay, and a Tissot chrono, Rotary Chronospeed, a couple of "high end ETA replicas Panerai and Omega Railmaster XL mechanical wind, and more premium watches include Ball Master Engineer Aviator II (tritrium tubes), Rolex Submariner no date vintage (2 liner) Christopher Ward Typhoon cockpit ceramic and my latest purchase, Bremont MBII orange barrel. I like changing the straps almost immediately so have had some custom ones made from my own designs, specifically for the Bremont.
WP_20170725_16_23_50_Pro by jason greenwood, on Flickr
WP_20170725_16_24_34_Pro1 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0166 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
strap5 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0013 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

Im thinking of buying another watch, this time im wanting something plain, simple, classic and be very legible in most conditions. Im not wanting to spend big money this time. I have my Bremont which is a pilot type so something different from that. So far i have saw a couple by Nomos and Stowa. Anyone got anything from either these companys, how do you rate them. It wont be an investment watch so something i can happily wear and not bother much. Cheers.

Im thinking of buying another watch, this time im wanting something plain, simple, classic and be very legible in most conditions. Im not wanting to spend big money this time. I have my Bremont which is a pilot type so something different from that. So far i have saw a couple by Nomos and Stowa. Anyone got anything from either these companys, how do you rate them. It wont be an investment watch so something i can happily wear and not bother much. Cheers.

Hi Mark - have you ever considered buying a nice vintage Rolex or (Omega) "dress watch" ?

Lovely to wear and appreciate and it will keep it's value

Last edited:
While my daily wearer is Dad's Rolex, the Citizens I have are in most respects far better - they have luminous hands and markers, they're accurate to a second or 2 per month and are solar powered so don't run down if unworn for a couple of days. The only reason I wear Dad's watch is because it was Mum's wedding present to him and is an almost constant reminder of them for me.

No Bill not really looked into them to be honest. I would love an older Daytona( white face) though but they have gone through the roof in recent years. Im looking for mimimalist style but something i can wear with a t-shirt ir a suit. The Stowa is around £1000 and the Nomos just over £2000 so something in that range would be nice.

Last edited:
No Bill not really looked into them to be honest. I would love an older Daytona( white face) though but they have gone through the roof in recent years. Im looking for mimimalist style but something i can wear with a t-shirt ir a suit. The Stowa is around £1000 and the Nomos just over £2000 so something in that range would be nice.

Do you like the new Tudor "Black Bay" - there is a nice "Blue Bay" on the SC Forum for £1,800 - it's a "steal" at that price

Yeah i can get used, not fussed if new or used, i just buy on condition if used as it needs to be mint. Have been looking at various sites so any sites you can think of in case i havent looked yet.

Just for info

The last NOMOS Glashutte Club Automat Datum Dunkel with new strap sold for £1175 on SC ..... and a Nomos Glashutte Minimatik was advertised at £1,600

and a STOWA Antea Klassik 390 went for £450 and a Stowa Antea Creme for £420

- all near mint

Last edited:
Ok what is the “SC” forum? Looking at the likes of watchfinder, watchuseek etc etc but if the price is close i would just buy new as im not looking to sell for a long long time so wouldnt lose until i came to sell.

sorry it's not SC, it's

http://forum.tz-uk.com/forum.php

If you are interested in watches, even just casually it is a very good Forum with many knowledgeable people

I reckon the likes of watchfinders will buy a watch for £2k and advertise it for sale at £3k ...... as a general guide

Bill is there not a big waiting list on the Black Bay GMT? Saw a video saying between a year and 2 years waiting list. Tudor dont normally have this sort of waiting times unlike their big brother. I could get a 10-15% discount if i needed it which is nice so will have a think but still looking for a more dress watch for now.

Back