The "fine time piece" owners thread.

I love radio controlled watches! (But they don't really qualify as "fine" time pieces.)

Having read the story about the Moon Watch (Omega) and how the Omega failed I was shocked to find there was another manufacturer on the Moon and this was a personal watch which didn't fail and made it back to earth still working, albeit a bit battered and bruised, the Bulova Moon Watch surfaced a few years ago, the price is unclear as there are differing prices all over the internet, but if rumours are true, it sold for $1.6m and it now lives in a museum, the Omega failed when the Hesalite crystal failed, Omega say it was knocked off by accident, people in the know at NASA and other watch buffs all say it couldn't take the differing temperatures and pressures and simply fell off, if you like watches have a look for the story, its a short but good read, anyway here is my latest watch, Bulova Lunar Pilot.

Sorry about the phone images.

20201212_080432 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

20201212_080540 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

Wow I never knew that. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I won’t buy that Speedy Moonwatch I’ve always desired! The charlatan!!

My Speedmaster runs perfectly now it has new coils... ;)

Nearly bought an Omega Speedmaster to match the Triumph but have too many more than enough watches already.

Nearly bought an Omega Speedmaster to match the Triumph but have too many more than enough watches already.

No, sorry, don't get that one, very much like Jaffa Cakes and Bikes, the correct number of watches is defined by the 2 equations N=n+1 and N(max)=d-1 (where N=correct number of items,. n=current number of items, and d=divorce proceedings... )

Well, I have 2 wrists but they're not that thin so I run out of arm to put them on! None of the straps go small enough so I never "have the time on me co...!"

Not allowed any more bikes. Mind you, Mrs Nod's vehicles take up more drive space than mine!

Bueatifil watch Mark - sometimes I think the APs look a bit 'clunky' but this one is stunning and the strap really compliments it.

The photo ain't bad either!

Mike

Yeah Mike, the Offshores are built to be like that as you know where the Royal Oak fits under a shirt cuff. This offshore is the thinnest of them and also very light with it being titanium. A few things that make this different from other offshores is the use of the royal oak chrono movement ( not an add-on chrono), no cyclops for the date, long pushers similar to the 44mm offshores. So far im loving it.

Having read the story about the Moon Watch (Omega) and how the Omega failed I was shocked to find there was another manufacturer on the Moon and this was a personal watch which didn't fail and made it back to earth still working, albeit a bit battered and bruised, the Bulova Moon Watch surfaced a few years ago, the price is unclear as there are differing prices all over the internet, but if rumours are true, it sold for $1.6m and it now lives in a museum, the Omega failed when the Hesalite crystal failed, Omega say it was knocked off by accident, people in the know at NASA and other watch buffs all say it couldn't take the differing temperatures and pressures and simply fell off, if you like watches have a look for the story, its a short but good read, anyway here is my latest watch, Bulova Lunar Pilot.

Sorry about the phone images.

20201212_080432 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

20201212_080540 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

i like the story behind this one. i remember there was a Seiko in space with an orange face but i don't know if it made it onto the moon or not.
i'm looking for another watch at the moment & this one is now in the running :)

i remember there was a Seiko in space with an orange face but i don't know if it made it onto the moon or not.

Nope, Seiko 6139 Automatic Chronograph made it onto Skylab in 1973/1974 though - first automatic chronograph in space (the Speedy being handwind) - usually refered to as the Pogue after the guy who's wrist it was on.

i like this a lot the utter simplicity of the dial, no date either, magic :)

Cheers Paul, the ones without the date window are the earliest and most desirable, I have only had it a matter of hours and started the polishing, this was how it arrived in need of some tlc but the surprising thing is, I have been timing this off winder for 12hrs so far and the time is absolutely spot on, I am now thinking "should I or shouldn't I" regarding the service

20210121_145552 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

My old "work" watch! Tissot Seastar Navigator. Still worked perfectly and kept great time!
Tissot.jpg

I am now thinking "should I or shouldn't I" regarding the service

The chap who did the most recent service on my Oyster advised me not to bother until it started being erratic. Before I inherited it, it spent 40 or so years in a drawer, unwound. A (stupidly expensive) manufacturer service saw it working for a couple of years then I found the chap who did the one 8 or so years ago.

I would love to have the danglies to open this Rotary and clean the dial............... sadly I don't and will never have big enough danglies to do any work inside the case, will let the ones who know do that stuff, exterior work is ok for me, so this is as far as I go............exterior

20210123_164349 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

Some great pieces here. I really should try and get some decent shots of my favourite 2 watches...

Just added to the collection. Tag Heuer re-edition with “Heuer” only branding as original. 2001 issue. It needs a service if anyone can recommend someone. Ideally I’d like it to go to a small business so I can support them through these tough times.C1C7C579-B155-45A4-8EA8-423721083EBA.jpeg74966F9B-2C5E-4DC1-A5BB-640CA3C531A2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just added to the collection. Tag Heuer re-edition with “Heuer” only branding as original. 2001 issue. It needs a service if anyone can recommend someone. Ideally I’d like it to go to a small business so I can support them through these tough times.

I like that. FWIW Ive just used repairs by post to service & repair my Hamilton. They were good and have done a great job. They took about 5 weeks

Not sure if the chap who has done my Rolex does distance servicing - I've taken it in for him to look at and collect it. TBH, I'm not even sure if the shop's still going - it was a few years ago that I last needed his services.

Not sure if the chap who has done my Rolex does distance servicing - I've taken it in for him to look at and collect it. TBH, I'm not even sure if the shop's still going - it was a few years ago that I last needed his services.

One of the best in the country for Rolex servicing is Duncan @ https://genesiswatchmaking.co.uk
Really good guy, very reliable and punctual and is an official Rolex Service Centre without official Rolex prices. I've sent all mine to him over the years as I used to collect the vintage Rolex sports models and a few others.

Just added to the collection. Tag Heuer re-edition with “Heuer” only branding as original. 2001 issue. It needs a service if anyone can recommend someone. Ideally I’d like it to go to a small business so I can support them through these tough times.

I used Joe at Anglesey Watch and Clocks for my Omega PO.
He is a small independent and was brilliant to deal with.
Will use him for my Rolex when it needs a service.

I love the look of those Monaco's... Nice watch

I too have used Duncan at Genesis, he’s had a couple of my Heuers and other guys I pointed his way have been happy.

Back