The Food, Cooking and Cuisine Thread

I make a mean chicken and rice soup.

And I sometimes slip a bit with the chili.

Do you use fresh ginger in soups?

Really lifts them, I find.

I make a mean chicken and rice soup.

And I sometimes slip a bit with the chili.

Do you use fresh ginger in soups?

Really lifts them, I find.
Not tried ginger in soups, dunno might give a go. Always used to use ginger in my stir fries, but fresh ginger always tended to dry up, before I could use it all up. Loved pickled ginger in my pineapple dishes, but don't do much adventurous cooking nowadays.

Tuna Pasta bake tonight. Penne pasta and tuna with a cheese sauce topped with cheddar and mozzarella and chucked in the oven for 30 minutes, laaahvley!

Try chopping hard boiled eggs and putting them on top of the pasta bake, then apply the cheese liberally and grill. Might sound odd but works a treat.

Try chopping hard boiled eggs and putting them on top of the pasta bake, then apply the cheese liberally and grill. Might sound odd but works a treat.

Yes, i put chopped hard boiled eggs in my lasagne's, mega tasty :)

Too much effort.
As taught to me by Rick Stein (name drop) and used in his kitchens. Also the way I was taught in far east kitchens

1 cup rice to 1.5 cup boiling water
warm a small amount of vegetable oil in the saucepan. This can be flavoured with bay leaves, cinnamon, cracked cardamom pods if required.
Put the rice in when the spices are smelling, or the oil is warm.
Stir the rice, coating each grain with the oil fro about a minute.
Add the boiling water and simmer until the water looks like it has gone or is barely visable
Turn off and leave for 30 mins.

You'll have a rice cake, which can be forked through for perfect grains, or tipped out and served like that.

This is very similar to the way we cook rice, which I learned from an Indian lady in SA. The only real difference is that we just measure the amount of rice required and add a lot of boiling water. I don't actually measure this but it's probably about 1.5 litres for 100 mls of rice. Simmer it for around 10 minutes (white rice) or 20 minutes (brown rice), then pour off the remaining water, put the lid on and leave it alone for another 10 minutes. You can skip the oil step if you want to, but it's very simple and I've never had a failure with it.

fresh ginger always tended to dry up, before I could use it all up.

My local Morrisons keeps a tub of fresh ginger root. You can pick a piece the size you want.

I find that a piece in a freezer bag in the fridge keeps for ages.

My local Morrisons keeps a tub of fresh ginger root. You can pick a piece the size you want.

I find that a piece in a freezer bag in the fridge keeps for ages.

Available also in Asda and Sainsbury's here (no Tesco in town).

I made a lovely Chicken and vegetable soup this evening. I was a little heavy handed with the pepper, and chili. :eek:

I find it difficult to leave pepper and chilli out of any of our food. Tonight we had Morrisons smoky rib rack (takes about 25 minutes to cook), and served it with sauteed potatos. The OH had the smoky/sweet sauce and I heated up a bit of my left over spicy curry sauce.

I find it difficult to leave pepper and chilli out of any of our food. Tonight we had Morrisons smoky rib rack (takes about 25 minutes to cook), and served it with sauteed potatos. The OH had the smoky/sweet sauce and I heated up a bit of my left over spicy curry sauce.
Ahhh, that's the way to do it. (y)

I can cook but most days I am usually really lazy...

Short rib

yb3h80S.jpg

Matcha ice-cream

UV9WW5h.jpg

Takoyaki

wRxQvht.jpg

Ramen (sous vide the meat, half boiled the eggs and marinated etc)

4bxn9CY.jpg

Chicken Katsu Curry

Zr7iG9F.jpg

Even make Cheese toastie with a twist.

qR6gc2x.jpg

I can see the eggs would work well. I like to put sweetcorn and chopped peppers inside mine and chopped black olives on top too.

Opted for stewed beef in a rich gravy, with mashed potatoes and peas. A real hearty meal. I forgot I had a cold beer in the fridge.

I've portioned up the pork stew I made yesterday and stuffed em in the freezer.

12 portions.

Not bad for £7 total.

Having the last portion and a half with a doorstop of home made bread tonight.

I baked a couple of jalapenos and cheddar loaves yesterday - 5 parts white to 2 parts stoneground wholemeal flour - and the OH had some for breakfast toasted. She says it was a bit too hot for her:), but that it was nicer than shop bought bread.
I bought a small jar of red pickled (I have only seen green ones before) jalapenos from our "international" shop for £1.39 and they taste like a hotter version of those miniature red, cream cheese stuffed peppers.

I baked a couple of jalapenos and cheddar loaves yesterday - 5 parts white to 2 parts stoneground wholemeal flour - and the OH had some for breakfast toasted. She says it was a bit too hot for her:), but that it was nicer than shop bought bread.
I bought a small jar of red pickled (I have only seen green ones before) jalapenos from our "international" shop for £1.39 and they taste like a hotter version of those miniature red, cream cheese stuffed peppers.
Sounds good, nice pick me up breakfast. I might like a mild version though. :)

A simple dish of tagliatelle with some home made pesto tonight. Simple but very tasty.

I like spaghetti with a drizzle of EVOO, a sprinkling (OK, 2 or 3 sprinklings!) of cheddar and a couple of drops of truffle oil. Left over spaghetti is great for this - do the "garnish" and lob in in the nuker until hot.

We've got fuctifino (apologies to the greenies if that's deemed offensive!) for tea tonight. Mrs Nod's turn to cook!

I shall get Mrs Nod to spank me later... :blush:

Has no-one eaten in the last week? :D

Chicken Parmesan for us tonight, very tasty it was.

Sausage casserole... Just waiting for the dumplings to finish

Not cooked much (from scratch) this past week - been busy and eaten out lots!

Forgot to mention, made french onion soup for the first time in ages yesterday, was scrummy!

Made a spicy cottage pie yesterday (beef mince for cottage pie, lamb mince for shepherd's pie). Used Indian spices, and then topped with my usual mashed potato, (finely chopped spring onion, butter and grated cheddar with lots of white pepper). Cheap and cheerful meal, just the thing for cold Winter nights. Still have another two portions left.

Back