The Food, Cooking and Cuisine Thread

Made a spicy cottage pie yesterday (beef mince for cottage pie, lamb mince for shepherd's pie). Used Indian spices, and then topped with my usual mashed potato, (finely chopped spring onion, butter and grated cheddar with lots of white pepper). Cheap and cheerful meal, just the thing for cold Winter nights. Still have another two portions left.

Sounds good. I often use Indian spices in other cooking, too good to just use for Indian dishes.

Sounds good. I often use Indian spices in other cooking, too good to just use for Indian dishes.

I smuggle Indian spice into most of my dishes, but have to tone it down on the chilli front, because my good wife cannot take the heat. If I cook roast potatoes then they have to have a little garam masala, garlic paste and black onion seeds. I don't cut them as traditional roasties, but into one centimetre discs so that they go really crispy on the outside. I put a spicy marinade on roast lamb and chicken.

I smuggle Indian spice into most of my dishes, but have to tone it down on the chilli front, because my good wife cannot take the heat. If I cook roast potatoes then they have to have a little garam masala, garlic paste and black onion seeds. I don't cut them as traditional roasties, but into one centimetre discs so that they go really crispy on the outside. I put a spicy marinade on roast lamb and chicken.

I'm now extremely hungry! :LOL:

I also have to tone the chilli down for Mrs F. I was tempted by some wasabi crisps in Morrisons today. :D

I put garam masala and chili powder in my ground bait.

Just finished my slow cooked pork stew. Next, I shall make a beef heart stew.

So something out of nothing. Didn't have anything planned for this evening as we were having lunch out and didn't know how hungry we'd be. When it came to dinner time, I looked to see what we had in and it was the following:

Red pepper
Spring onions
Chorizo
Sweet potato
Eggs

Guess what I made. :D

The only other thing that springs to mind is a sort of omelette with everything chopped and chucked in, perhaps with sweet potato chips on the side.

The only other thing that springs to mind is a sort of omelette with everything chopped and chucked in, perhaps with sweet potato chips on the side.

It was a variation on a Spanish omelette, the sweet potato included.

Shop bought curry tonight, don't normally do shop bought currys. No idea how it ended up in the basket, I normally make my own.
WHY, do people make currys so hot? Last one I had, was far too hot! No need to put so much chilies, or chili powder in. Much better perfecting a nice flavour, rather than making things just too hot.

Anyway, curry I have for tonight. Yes, a shop bought one. But I will try and mild it down, somehow.

Baby lotion, and extra soft bog roll at the ready. :D

I find that yoghurt is better for cooling a hot curry - tastes better than baby lotion!!! :p

Hot curries seem to be a British thing - phals and the like are seen by some as a manly thing. I prefer to keep my taste buds (and fundamental orifice) rather cooler and enjoy the flavours.

As a side thought, I wonder what ancient Eurasian cuisine was like before the introduction of peppers (capsicum) and tomatoes.

I find that yoghurt is better for cooling a hot curry - tastes better than baby lotion!!! :p

Hot curries seem to be a British thing - phals and the like are seen by some as a manly thing. I prefer to keep my taste buds (and fundamental orifice) rather cooler and enjoy the flavours.

As a side thought, I wonder what ancient Eurasian cuisine was like before the introduction of peppers (capsicum) and tomatoes.
lol

No yoghurt in, so will try cooling things with milk.
I had a Malaysian meal, cooked by a Malaysian person. Absolutely gorgeous it was, green peppers chicken and chilis. Not hot at all, but plenty of flavour. :)

It is, and always was, a dick measuring thing with the British as far as spicy food is concerned. The hotter the curry, the more manly you are.....apparently.

Personally, I like a bit of heat but I want to be able to taste the food as well.

It is, and always was, a dick measuring thing with the British as far as spicy food is concerned. The hotter the curry, the more manly you are.....apparently.

Personally, I like a bit of heat but I want to be able to taste the food as well.
Just been in to test the curry, after trying to cool things down with milk. I have diluted it greatly, to the point of not much flavour, fiery heat still there. Unless I have lost my taste buds, after being burnt off! :eek:

Just been in to test the curry, after trying to cool things down with milk. I have diluted it greatly, to the point of not much flavour, fiery heat still there. Unless I have lost my taste buds, after being burnt off! :eek:

What is it and where did you buy it from?

It was from Asda, it was a Bhuna. More like an extra hot Vindloo. :eek:

I honestly can't remember the last time I had a shop bought curry. I don't even go to Indian restaurants anymore, my curries are better! :D

Much as I love home cooked curries, they take so long to prep and cook that we now do the dial-a-curry thing. Saves a shedload of washing up too!

Much as I love home cooked curries, they take so long to prep and cook that we now do the dial-a-curry thing. Saves a shedload of washing up too!

I can prep & cook a curry in 1/2 an hour, quicker than most deliveries

Is that including marinading , vegetable and meat preparation time. Or is it simply packet / jar opening and mixing time. ;)

I can't. Takes me that long to get to and from the butcher and greengrocer let alone do the spices, marinade etc..

I can't. Takes me that long to get to and from the butcher and greengrocer let alone do the spices, marinade etc..

Do you go shopping separately for every meal? Everything I need is in the kitchen before I start.

The above photos give me an idea for tonight's dinner. Fried rice and ribs. :)

Sausages, mash & onion gravy last night.

Cut some sweet potatoes into approx 4 cm cubes and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or until soft enough to mash

Whilst the potatoes are cooking, brown the sausages(I use Toulouse) then remove from the pan.

Slice the onions and fry with garlic and ginger (+ optional spices, I used cumin & curry powder)until softened. Add a tablespoon of cornflour then approx 300ml of chicken stock and stir until thickened.

Season to taste.

Return the sausages to the pan, coating them with the gravy then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover.

Once the potatoes are soft enough, mash them ten place is an oven proof dish and top with chilli oil & parmesan and put in the oven for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Do you go shopping separately for every meal? Everything I need is in the kitchen before I start.

Since I don't often go to the butcher (Mrs Nod is veggie so I don't often cook meat at home), it tends to be a special trip, although I usually combine it with a day trip rather than using fuel purely to fetch meat. We do normally have the veggies "in stock" though.

Since I don't often go to the butcher (Mrs Nod is veggie so I don't often cook meat at home), it tends to be a special trip, although I usually combine it with a day trip rather than using fuel purely to fetch meat. We do normally have the veggies "in stock" though.

The farm shop I go to does meat in freezer packs. Makes it really easy to get diced chicken, diced pork, beef or bits of steak. I don't bother with supermarket meat now. It's all vac packed so it takes up very little space. They also do burgers with separators so they don't stick together in the freezer.

Beef stew in the instant pot tonight I think :)

Just getting ribs in a dish, been marinading in sauce nicely. Just been measuring rice out, in a pan. Just tried photographing my hand, pouring the rice in a pan. First attempt I spilt most of the rice on the floor, all other attempts missed focus. I have now given up.

Anyway, we are still having fried rice and ribs. I may try a photo of the food cooked, depending on a couple of things. If the food looks photo genic, and if we don't eat it first.

The farm shop I go to does meat in freezer packs. Makes it really easy to get diced chicken, diced pork, beef or bits of steak. I don't bother with supermarket meat now. It's all vac packed so it takes up very little space. They also do burgers with separators so they don't stick together in the freezer.

Beef stew in the instant pot tonight I think :)

Which farm shop do you use Suz?

:garfield:!

I would be!

Daren't make a meaty one here since I know that what should be 3 portions would end up being a fat(ter) me and a small portion left over! Same with moussaka, so I only have that on holiday (and it's far better there than I can make.)

I would be!

Daren't make a meaty one here since I know that what should be 3 portions would end up being a fat(ter) me and a small portion left over! Same with moussaka, so I only have that on holiday (and it's far better there than I can make.)

I make a bloody good lasagne but have never been able to master moussaka. Best left to the Greeks that one.

Reactions: Nod
Back