The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a par with Tennent's :thumbsdown:

Whits up wi Tennents?
Fine swig :D

I'm going to be in your area all weekend weather permitting
I fancy tug o war in Perth tomorrow, never been to one and might get some good shots
Then up to Stanley (ish) to shoot some mates playing in their canoes on some fast water (eejits) :wacky:
Where are you, just out of curiosity?

I'm beginning to laugh at the number of people declining to get in the running for the Wolves job, the list is growing by the day!

Whits up wi Tennents?
Fine swig :D

I'm going to be in your area all weekend weather permitting
I fancy tug o war in Perth tomorrow, never been to one and might get some good shots
Then up to Stanley (ish) to shoot some mates playing in their canoes on some fast water (eejits) :wacky:
Where are you, just out of curiosity?

Actually, Tennent's isn't too bad. Not my first choice of 'beer' but if I'm buying a slab of lager and want to avoid the strong stuff it's about the best.

I'm in a little village called Abernethy but have family dotted about between here, Stanley, Pitlochry, Aberfeldy and Loch Tay.

Could well be passing through Stanley on Sunday. Stanley Mills (on the Tay) has some good water. Grandtully is a good stretch of white water with canoe gates all set up too.

San Mames - a real old style atmosphere.

Talking of old style atmospheres.....

I was in the west stand (built in '57) at Elland Road last weekend for the Doncaster Rovers game.....I was a nightclub bouncer for 4 years and even I learnt several new swear words!!! :p

Nothing's changed.....:LOL:

Talking of old style atmospheres.....

I was in the west stand (built in '57) at Elland Road last weekend for the Doncaster Rovers game.....I was a nightclub bouncer for 4 years and even I learnt several new swear words!!! :p

Nothing's changed.....:LOL:

Are you sure they were new words or was it just the way they speak ?

Joking aside - Elland Road is one of the good old grounds and I've some great (and terrible) memories of going there.

So the big game tomorrow - Arsenal v Tottenham

Can't recall the last time I wanted an Arsenal win in this fixture but I guess that's what I'm after. I'd love to see Newcastle get 4th but the danger of Arsenal loosing would be that Liverpool get a sniff.

Ho hum.

So the big game tomorrow - Arsenal v Tottenham

Can't recall the last time I wanted an Arsenal win in this fixture but I guess that's what I'm after. I'd love to see Newcastle get 4th but the danger of Arsenal loosing would be that Liverpool get a sniff.

Ho hum.

Surely you should be wanting arsenal to win for more important reasons - like stopping spurs creeping up on you for 2nd place? :shrug:

Surely you should be wanting arsenal to win for more important reasons - like stopping spurs creeping up on you for 2nd place? :shrug:

Well that goes without saying Joe but I've said all along City will win the league so 2nd or 3rd makes no difference.

Having said all that Spurs just scored and I was pleased despite my reasons for wanting an Arsenal win.

Last edited:
Well that goes without saying Joe but I've said all along City will win the league so 2nd or 3rd makes no difference.

I bet Sir Alex doesn't agree about 2nd/3rd. :eek: And does it not affect seeding in the Champions League? :thinking:

Having said all that Spurs just scored and I was pleased despite my reasons for wanting an Arsenal win.

2nd or 3rd makes no difference? Isn't there almost £1million difference per place

2nd or 3rd makes no difference? Isn't there almost £1million difference per place

That doesn't come to me though :LOL:

PS

Bradley Johnson will be sent off today if he carries on like he's started.

Reading that Bale took a dive for the penalty...nothing new there from Bale then!

Edit: Certain dive...video

There has to be retrospective punishments to get this rubbish out of football. You can't expect the ref not to get fooled sometimes but time and again we see people dive and appeal desperately for a free kick that the ref waves away but then doesn't penalise the player with a yellow card. It's not going to stop unless there's a punishment for it, otherwise players are going to always take a gamble on the dive because there's nothing to lose.

This isn't a rant directed solely at Bale by the way (although he loves a dive more than almost anyone in the PL); I know there's plenty of instances where Arsenal players are guilty of the same but it just shouldn't be tolerated in the game because so often it skews the outcome of games!

Last edited:
...Pope Wenger the 1st !

Last edited:
As a wise(?) man once said about ManU, you'll never win anything with kids! Don't suppose he expected them to still be playing and scoring though. :LOL:

Happy 900th game for Giggs

Sad to see Swansea loose - Cardiff could make it worse although I'm torn for this one.

Typical Liverpool. Get to the final and concede in the first half. Shame, although I find it hard to care with this competition.

Joe, get a grip! It's a trophy

Reading that Bale took a dive for the penalty...nothing new there from Bale then!

Edit: Certain dive...video

There has to be retrospective punishments to get this rubbish out of football. You can't expect the ref not to get fooled sometimes but time and again we see people dive and appeal desperately for a free kick that the ref waves away but then doesn't penalise the player with a yellow card. It's not going to stop unless there's a punishment for it, otherwise players are going to always take a gamble on the dive because there's nothing to lose.

This isn't a rant directed solely at Bale by the way (although he loves a dive more than almost anyone in the PL); I know there's plenty of instances where Arsenal players are guilty of the same but it just shouldn't be tolerated in the game because so often it skews the outcome of games!

I have been saying this for ages. Do away with yellows for diving as the ref often gets it wrong, like Torres the other week. Simply do a retrospective ban, if the FA had balls and said a 7 game ban, you would soon see diving stop.

Amazing game, but I thought that the spurs subs and ht we're a bit strange as although we played fine after 40 mins spurs we poor 2nd half.

It's the one trophy Liverpool have won the most too. I always think Liverpool when I think of the leage cup. :naughty:

Valient effort from Cardiff regardless of what happens in the pens.

I'll get stick regardless of who wins.

Look at what it means to the players, listen to what it means to the fans,,, well done Liverpool. B&*($%rds :D

nothing to cry about Mark.
Kruyt (sp?) goal was a bit abnormal tbh.
Cardiff (and West Ham a few years ago) really put the history of the English top team to shame :D

Hear hear, and it now means were definitely in Europe now which is what we need...its means being able to attract better players.

Well done Reina first trophy for him!! :eek:

Hear hear, and it now means were definitely in Europe now which is what we need...its means being able to attract better players.

Well done Reina first trophy for him!! :eek:

Don't tell Joe - he has a thing about Ch5 and Thursdays :naughty:

Another trophy for the cabinet and European football guaranteed. Any liverpool fan who says they didn't want us to win today is not a fan at all.

Was great watching my great team walking up those stairs again. Here's hoping its a merseyside FA cup final as well.

Don't tell Joe - he has a thing about Ch5 and Thursdays :naughty:

I will, am sorry but were no where near being good enough to challenge for the title and so cups like this and FA cup should be are bread and butter. Europa league was my ATLEAST this season and anything else is a bonus!

I know I can be a deluded Liverpool fan but Joe saying he doesn't want to win a trophy is hardly a Liverpool fan. There was 40,000 Liverpool fans at Wembly wanting that trophy and its a great result for us and a GOOD cup win!

Joe is an ABU fan 1st, Liverpool fan nth

I must say, well done to the red men. Cardiff played really well and should be proud, if not unlucky. I hope this will bring good fortune for the rest of the season and maybe, with a bit of luck, pinch a champions league position.

Just trying to work when I said I didnt want to win the trophey :cautious:

Hmmm, nope I think I said I just couldn't get that excited about it, there's a difference in that.

It was a very entertaining game though, and you always want your team to win. So well done to Liverpool, they deserved the win.

Charlie Adams pen made me burst out laughing though it was so comical!

Don't get carried away though, the league cup is the bottom of the barrel, and I shake my head at the prospect of playing at 5pm on a Thursday night against some euro no hoper I never even heard of with the worst tv production channel5 can muster :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back