The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were almost as poor as last week ;)

Now come on, I know you always accuse me of being the politician but I padded that out by saying that I wasn't taking anything away from manure and their goals were all for the highlight reel, and whilst arsenal were poo last week as well, this week without nasri they were even worse.

Now come on, I know you always accuse me of being the politician but I padded that out by saying that I wasn't taking anything away from manure and their goals were all for the highlight reel, and whilst arsenal were poo last week as well, this week without nasri they were even worse.

It was tongue in cheek ;) although I do have to live up to the title of 'mortal enemy' (y)

Id 8-2 be an arsenal fan at the moment.....

My daughter said that to me before...and she was actually proud she made it up :D

Not a shabby win for City either, 5-1. Although for the first 10 minutes I was thinking we were going to be in for a really rough ride.
I expected a much stronger performance from the 4 he had up front.

Clichy out, Eboué out, Fabregas and Nasri and now Traore to QPR ?

dinners said:
Clichy out, Eboué out, Fabregas and Nasri and now Traore to QPR ?

Not forgetting Vela and Denilson have gone on loan and probably for good too.

Apart from Cesc and Nasri the rest are not good enough to win trophies anyway. Clichy looked like he was going to bs a great player but has been poor the last two seasons.

Why on earth these players haven't been replaced before now is beyond me, there is clearly much more wrong with the club than just a manager losing his touch.

The board sold the club down the river (and all did very nicely thank you) And have left it with effectively a hung ownership structure and a business plan that was predicated on the likes of Chelsea and Man City not existing.

If Arsenal sign a decent midfield player and centre back they have an okay starting XI...the problem is there is almost no competition for places and leaves them hugely vulnerable to injuries and suspensions.

They need five players and a largely injury free season have a chance of Top 4. Two defenders, two midfielder and a striker. If they don't finish Top 4 RVP and TV5 will be gone next summer too.

I think they (Arsenal) have just signed the Brazilian left back Andre Santos ?

Last edited:
I think they (Arsenal) have just signed the Brazilian left back Andre Santos ?

pretty much done deal, and Per Mertersacker which is a brilliant signing, Germany coach Joachim Lowe has confirmed Mertersacker has been given today off from international duty to agree personal terms. Cahill vs. Mertersacker I'd have the latter, apart from premier league experience Mertersacker is the better player plus he has 75 caps for his country and a lot of leadership experience.
Santos is a decent signing, again experience in the team, Wenger will mould him into a wonderful LB, plus we've just sold Traore to QPR so this signing was needed and it's a double blessing because we got rid of a donkey of a player and got a decent one in.
The new striker, South Korean Park Chu-young will also be a decent signing, not in the least for the 'far east factor' but, whilst I've not seen him play a full game, everyone says he's hard working and a goal poacher with decent skill and a good eye for goal plus he was Monaco's only standout player from last term (when they got relegated), I've watched some youtube videos and he looks very good.

The gaping hole that needs to be filled is midfield..sorry but you don't sell your two world class creative midfielders and replace them with err..nothing. Yossi Benayoun is being touted..no thanks! 31-years old, very injury prone, forget it. I want to see Marvin Martins personally.

pretty much done deal, and Per Mertersacker which is a brilliant signing, Germany coach Joachim Lowe has confirmed Mertersacker has been given today off from international duty to agree personal terms. Cahill vs. Mertersacker I'd have the latter, apart from premier league experience Mertersacker is the better player plus he has 75 caps for his country and a lot of leadership experience.
Santos is a decent signing, again experience in the team, Wenger will mould him into a wonderful LB, plus we've just sold Traore to QPR so this signing was needed and it's a double blessing because we got rid of a donkey of a player and got a decent one in.
The new striker, South Korean Park Chu-young will also be a decent signing, not in the least for the 'far east factor' but, whilst I've not seen him play a full game, everyone says he's hard working and a goal poacher with decent skill and a good eye for goal plus he was Monaco's only standout player from last term (when they got relegated), I've watched some youtube videos and he looks very good.

The gaping hole that needs to be filled is midfield..sorry but you don't sell your two world class creative midfielders and replace them with err..nothing. Yossi Benayoun is being touted..no thanks! 31-years old, very injury prone, forget it. I want to see Marvin Martins personally.

Plenty of speculation about Elia, Vargas, Zarate and Arteta being in talks, and Alex also rumoured to be a target so there's a little hope to see what comes of the remaining hour. I'm still hopeful to see Kaka come although it'll never happen.

Santos and Mertesacker are fantastic signings and I too would much rather the latter over Cahill. We're making a bit of progress with the signings but I want to see at least two more announced to be really excited.

Last edited:
Plenty of speculation about Elia, Vargas, Zarate and Arteta being in talks, and Alex also rumoured to be a target so there's a little hope to see what comes of the remaining hour.

remaining hour?

theres a whole day tomorrow isnt there?

Inter don't have the same need to sell since Eto went to Russia but I think Sneijder is still available albeit at a ridiculous wage cost after United blew him out. Not sure how reliable the story was regarding Arsenal looking at him.

joescrivens said:
remaining hour?

theres a whole day tomorrow isnt there?

Sorry, I meant to type 'hours'. Deadline day is tomorrow and stops at 11pm I think.

timmygcsc2308 said:

I'm not convinced that Park will be up to challenging for a regular starting place which is what we need...hopefully I am wrong but it's a massive gamble with only RVP as a proven striker.

The two signings in defence look good and I think Gervinho looks good enough to replace Nasri.....Nasri's fee pays for all three pretty much. We're still short in midfield and upfront...and can't afford injuries even with these additions.

Arsenal lost the best midfielder of his age in the world in Cesc....we hopefully now have a better defence than last season especially with TV5 fit but Cesc's loss outweighs that....we need two big proven midfield signings to have a chance of Top 4.

Inter don't have the same need to sell since Eto went to Russia but I think Sneijder is still available albeit at a ridiculous wage cost after United blew him out. Not sure how reliable the story was regarding Arsenal looking at him.

i still think he'll sign for united

I'm not sure - some reports say it's a cert, others buy into United's own view that business is done.

A month ago I was really hoping we would. There's no doubt he'd add some much needed experience but part of me would like to see us trust this young side..

Last edited:

Hope not, United are already overloaded in midfield and why limit the oppurtunities of Cleverly Anderson Fletcher Carrick Giggs can only play two of these in the midfield.

Hope not, United are already overloaded in midfield and why limit the oppurtunities of Cleverly Anderson Fletcher Carrick Giggs can only play two of these in the midfield.

carling cup, fa cup, premier league, champions league is why :)

Latest rumour, Michael Owen to QPR on loan. :thinking:

I know they (QPR) are reported to be in for Federico Macheda on loan so who knows. Based on how United deal with player development - I can certainly see that one.

Not sure about Owen - not much point in loaning him out really. I know he has a strange pay as you play type of contract so it wouldn't be to reduce thewage bill and he's a bit long in the tooth for being loaned for development. Something leading to a transfer perhaps....

Last edited:
Not sure about Owen - not much point in loaning him out really. I know he has a strange pay as you play type of contract so it wouldn't be to reduce thewage bill and he's a bit long in the tooth for being loaned for development. Something leading to a transfer perhaps....

Pretty much my thoughts on it but I doubt it's anything more than rumour.

football journalism at it's best:

Wayne Rooney backs Owen Hargreaves Manchester City switch
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14715487.stm

Wayne Rooney fears former team-mate Owen Hargreaves will find it difficult to get back to his best if he signs for Manchester City.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14717296.stm

all in the same day!

got to love how the headlines completely misrepresent what the player says. Did rooney actually back hargreaves move to city in the first link? Or did he just comment on him as a player. And in the second article where does he actually say that he doubts he'll get back to his best IF he signs for city?

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that Park will be up to challenging for a regular starting place which is what we need...hopefully I am wrong but it's a massive gamble with only RVP as a proven striker.

really? gamble? We've paid like £6million odd for him rising to £10m depending upon performance, based on our current strike 'force' apart from RvP I would say he's a very welcome addition, Bentdner is pretty much gone and even if he's not he only performs when he feels like it, Chamak..well, I just hope he finds his confidence again because at the moment he wouldn't even get into a Championship side, Theo is doing well as a second striker but once RvP takes his usual in-season sabbatical err I mean injury we can't rely on Theo. Park is South Korea's captain, scored 12 last term and was the only real star performer in a dire dire defensively minded Monaco side and I reckon with Jack and Gervy feeding him he will be on 15+ goals this term, plus he will work his socks off much like the Mudchester Utd. Park. For £6m upfront , especially considering it will send shirt sales in the far east through the roof, I reckon it's an excellent buy.

Now Yann M'Villa and Marvin Martins pl0x

edit: we're being linked to Keisuke Honda..wow ok not sure where that came from and not sure if it's true but if it is that'll be an excellent signing

edit2: The Park fee is officially £3m and a further £2m if he avoids military service in 2 years. Bargain

Last edited:
So is it confirmed Hargreaves has signed? Was just press rumour this morning.

Not sure why we need yet another though :p

So is it confirmed Hargreaves has signed? Was just press rumour this morning.

Not sure why we need yet another though :p

don't think it is official yet, as for man city needing another, didn't you know - man city think they need to buy everyone - it's a good theory, if they buy everyone then it means none of the other clubs can progress and essentially they buy themselves a trophey! :D

transfer news pretty slow today but joe cole goes on loan to lille, sad times. I was really excited when he came to liverpool on a free signing, i thought it was the bargain of the century but it just went down hill from day one.

i hope he pulls it back because at the top of his game he'll be missed in the england squad and maybe back in the liverpool one after a year on loan, we'll see

scott parker signs for spurs

rumours are jerome to stoke, SWP to QPR

also rumours of a boomerang for benayoun back to LFC. I was sad when he left but seems random to sign him again since he's been plagued by injury

Last edited:
Santos confirmed for AFC :)

timmygcsc2308 said:
really? gamble? We've paid like £6million odd for him rising to £10m depending upon performance, based on our current strike 'force' apart from RvP I would say he's a very welcome addition, Bentdner is pretty much gone and even if he's not he only performs when he feels like it, Chamak..well, I just hope he finds his confidence again because at the moment he wouldn't even get into a Championship side, Theo is doing well as a second striker but once RvP takes his usual in-season sabbatical err I mean injury we can't rely on Theo. Park is South Korea's captain, scored 12 last term and was the only real star performer in a dire dire defensively minded Monaco side and I reckon with Jack and Gervy feeding him he will be on 15+ goals this term, plus he will work his socks off much like the Mudchester Utd. Park. For £6m upfront , especially considering it will send shirt sales in the far east through the roof, I reckon it's an excellent buy.

Now Yann M'Villa and Marvin Martins pl0x

edit: we're being linked to Keisuke Honda..wow ok not sure where that came from and not sure if it's true but if it is that'll be an excellent signing

edit2: The Park fee is officially £3m and a further £2m if he avoids military service in 2 years. Bargain

I hope you're right, never seen the guy play. He's a gamble because the French first division is a step down, there are an awful lot of players that have failed to adapt to the PL. Chamakh started very well but has really has gone off the boil.

I just think they need someone of proven quality if RVP gets injured. Arsenal will hopefully have a Top 4 first XI but it's a squad that wins trophies.

I hope you're right, never seen the guy play. He's a gamble because the French first division is a step down, there are an awful lot of players that have failed to adapt to the PL. Chamakh started very well but has really has gone off the boil.

I just think they need someone of proven quality if RVP gets injured. Arsenal will hopefully have a Top 4 first XI but it's a squad that wins trophies.

but for £3m mate I really can't see why this is a gamble, unless you are looking at it from the perspective that Wenger will see this as the only signing we need in the attacking half of the field, true but wait till 11pm tonight because I hope some decent creative players will be joining us soon..

I don't see it as buying a trophy. I don't see it any different to MU buying good players then winning it....Just we bought more. ;)

I don't see it as buying a trophy. I don't see it any different to MU buying good players then winning it....Just we bought more. ;)

Like United :thinking:

You mean like Chelski surely.;)

Last edited:
Lots has been going on. Shame we've missed out on Elia and zarate but Arteta would be great and if benayoun stays fit he'll sure up midfield much more than rosicky is capable of. Interesting times for arsenal now, the team is changing dramatically!

As an aside, Inter securing Forlan and Elia will add to their strength hugely!

It's all a bit yawn worthy tonight so far.

Haven't even bothered with the popcorn !

Hmmmm. Mixed feelings. Arteta and mertsecker are very good signings but not sure about benayoun. Really needed Cahill or samba as well, and Scott Parker/Barton and a real quality striker and winger.

I have to say I have been rather impressed by the out-of-character spending this transfer window. We've managed to bring in a lot of players, and for sensible prices too.

These are the players we've brought in:
Mikel Arteta
Yossi Benayoun
Per Mertesacker
Andre Santos
Park Chu-Young
Myo Miyaichi (returned from loan)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Gervinho
Carl Jenkinson
Joel Cambell (out on loan)
Jon Toral
Hector Bellerin

Some youth has been added and a little experience too. It's certainly improved the depth of the squad and once some of our injured players return we should be looking like we have a little more fight in us. The next stage is for Wenger to tackle the indiscipline that's seen us lose a player to red cards in each of our 3 home games and to instil a little pride and hunger for victory in the players. Hopefully we'll continue to see activity in the January transfer window adding another established centre-back, midfielder and striker to the club.

I suspect the anger aimed at Wenger has been rather mis-placed. I think it's the board and owners that have had the shackles tight on the bank for some seasons now. Past spending has shown that Wenger can buy big (Henry for £10.5m in 1999, Wiltord for £13m in 2000). Regardless, every club goes through it's ups and downs. Liverpool haven't won the league for 21 years, for example. We've qualified for the Champions League for 14 consecutive years (all under Wenger) so no-one can criticise our success even if we have haltered on the brink of trophies more recently. I won't even mention our undefeated season in 2007....oh wait, I just did. Added to the fact we have a new £390m stadium, a financial model that will see us profitable for years without excessive input from ownership and somewhat questionable sponsorship deals, and you have a club that's built on a solid foundation that will continue to be competitive for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back