The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fergie lets rip on 'Cass' of the daily Mail after Sneijder story gets 'twisted' in the Mail.

After giving him the story days before going to press - Fergie goes straight to Cass who is wanting to defend himself (it was the paper not me gov that changed the print) by saying "I can can show you the copy I sent in...." at which point Fergie just keeps walking and tells him and his paper to FO leaving Cass looking a bit deflated.

[YOUTUBE]dwIpFPIB-ek[/YOUTUBE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
So here we go again.

Only seems like five 5 mins since the season ended.

Still think United could do with bringing in an experienced quality central midfield player but I'm looking forward to watching the young players this year.

Cleverley, Pogba and Welbeck should feature a lot more. It will be interesting to see Rafael and Fabio plus Jones and Smalling develop their partnership under Evra, Ferdinand and Vidic and Ashley Young offers us an alternative to Nani and Valencia. Not sure what Berbatov's future is just now with Hernandez and Rooney clearly ahead of him in the pecking order, Owen staying and Fergie keen to give Welbeck and Macheda their chance. Of the two new keepers I'm not sure whether Lindegaard or de Gea will secure the number 1 spot but again it will be interesting to watch this young side develop.

Last edited:
Anyone else think that wenger is now a joke? Was waiting for the men in White coats turn up while he was doing the motd interview.

Same old rubbish, didnt see the stamp, and tried to defend gervino. Rosicky and arsharvin did naff all yet again. Still no sign of the 2 centre backs we need, at least 2 mids and a decent att. Really has lost the plot and I can see them finishing 6th at best.

All the talk will be about Barton (and you know partly justified..it was cheating but nothing else than the majority of players would do) and very little about the brutish stamp by Song.

Newcastle looked poor though, as expected. Could be a long season for the Toon faithful. :(:bang:

All the talk will be about Barton (and you know partly justified..it was cheating but nothing else than the majority of players would do) and very little about the brutish stamp by Song.

Newcastle looked poor though, as expected. Could be a long season for the Toon faithful. :(:bang:

I'm not defending Song, his stamp was indefensible and I'm sure he'll get punished, but the flack Barton attracts is justified by his past antics. Personally, I hate the guy and wouldn't miss him from football if he disappeared tomorrow; in fact I'd love for him to disappear tomorrow. He has talent, sure, but his attitude sucks and his violent streaks have no place in the game and show no sign of being tamed. How the league can tolerate such a serial offender I don't know. He's not the only thuggish Newcastle player either (although Nolan's departure does ease the situation). My dad's a geordie and I've always had a soft spot for the toon but I find it impossible to love the current side when they play such ugly, aggressive football. Additionally, Pardew's attempt to justify Barton's response was shameful. I couldn't believe he attempted to justify Barton's actions when there clearly was contact on Gervinho and Barton massively over-reacted to the 'dive'. They both should have walked.

Incidentally, I was disappointed to see Gervinho throw a hand (a hand, not a fist!). I hope Wenger gives him a strong dressing down and teaches him a lesson about how to conduct and control one's self on the pitch. Arsenal can't afford to play out a season regularly down to 10 men!

Last edited:
I actually like Barton and think he is harshly treated due to his past. He was justified in complaining after the stamp, although he should face an FA ban for cheating when he claimed he was punched. I for one would love to see him in an arsenal shirt.

Barton isn't the victim at all. He got annoyed that gervinho went down to easy but what gave him the right to grab him up? Just tell him to get up don't put your hands on him and then to start something and then go down just as easy when hit is the most ironic thing that happened yesterday. Diving to get a penalty is no worse than falling to the floor like he's been shot to get someone sent off

Anyone else think that wenger is now a joke?

It's not a case of 'now' - Wenger has always been a joke. That said I admire his stubbornness.

Barton isn't the victim at all. He got annoyed that gervinho went down to easy but what gave him the right to grab him up? Just tell him to get up don't put your hands on him and then to start something and then go down just as easy when hit is the most ironic thing that happened yesterday. Diving to get a penalty is no worse than falling to the floor like he's been shot to get someone sent off

Probably too early in the season to use my only :agree: Joe ;)

Last edited:
It's not a case of 'now' - Wenger has always been a joke. That said I admire his stubbornness.

Probably too early in the season to use my only :agree: Joe ;)

Stranger things have happened! You might need a 2nd smilie!

When they reviewed the Newcastle game on the 'Sunday Supplement' on Sky this morning. The talked and talked about Barton, but never mentioned the stamp....funny that :cautious:

If that was Barton who had stamped on a players foot everyone and thier mothers would be out to condem him, but not once did they mention anything about Song's stamp.

When they reviewed the Newcastle game on the 'Sunday Supplement' on Sky this morning. The talked and talked about Barton, but never mentioned the stamp....funny that :cautious:

If that was Barton who had stamped on a players foot everyone and thier mothers would be out to condem him, but not once did they mention anything about Song's stamp.

The stamp was nothing to talk about, nobody on the pitch saw it, there was no fight after it and there was no debate about who was to blame. Song will get a fine tomorrow, end of.

The other incident had a lot more to talk about, whos was to blame, should they have both gone etc, and so naturally takes up more airtime.

The stamp was nothing to talk about, nobody on the pitch saw it, there was no fight after it and there was no debate about who was to blame. Song will get a fine tomorrow, end of.

The other incident had a lot more to talk about, whos was to blame, should they have both gone etc, and so naturally takes up more airtime.

But to not mention a delebrate and malcious stamp on another player, come on. As I said if those roles where reversed and it was Barton who did the stamp and an Arsenal player went down easy after being brushed on the check....what do you think the major talking point would be......

But to not mention a delebrate and malcious stamp on another player, come on. As I said if those roles where reversed and it was Barton who did the stamp and an Arsenal player went down easy after being brushed on the check....what do you think the major talking point would be......

A players reputation makes this happen though, if you're going to go around putting people in intensive care then you deserve harsher treatment.

Well, the season starts properly tomorrow when we host Swansea :) Looking forward to seeing Mighty Mouse (Aguero) this season.

I have no time for Barton. We introduced the moron to the Premier League. I was at the City v Bolton game where he was meant to make his debut as a sub and somehow lost his shirt so never got on! It was an omen :) Song should have gone for the stamp but Barton gets involved every time.

Some people forget that his list of previous goes way beyond the assault on the kid in Liverpool. Cigar in a youth team players eye for a laugh....... assault on Ousmane Dabo..........sent home from a pre-season trip for having a go at a fan / everton fan.......... The lads a numpty. City did well to get rid of him and get a decent price for an average player.

Chris :)

The lads a numpty.

Just about sums him up.

At the end of the day he's made a rod for his own back over the years and sadly any misdemeanor will make the news.

It's a shame really as he's a competent solid player.

anyone else think this weekends games pretty much look like the season is heading the same way as last?

Chelsea, liverpool, arsenal and man u all dominate a half and then run out of ideas, but the only team that grinds out the win is man u. It might be a very long season again!

Best of luck for Swansea tonight - not just because they're up against City but they're the team I used to go and watch between 1990-1992 when I lived in house backing onto the Vetch Field.

thanks to their goalkeeper and the crossbar swansea arent 4-0 down!

well, that was a very convincing performance, aguero might get a slot in my ff team

I did OK fantasy wise so there's some consolation.

Thought Swansea played well at times esp their keeper but City just had too much for them. Aguero is class act - watched him a few times last season when United were rumoured to be after him. The way he moves reminds me very much of Maradonna.

Kun Aguero (aka Mighty Mouse) did some damage for a lad that was only on the pitch for 30+ minutes! The real star of the show (again) was the little magician David Silva. Those two looked like they have been playing together for a while. Edin looked very good as well and put himself about a bit.

I thought Swansea did well for a spell and tried to play football. The problem was that for all their possession the stats were shocking for chances created.

When Aguero scored his second I said to the fella sat behind me what would he be like playing with Carlos? The fella just looked at me and said "Carlos who" :) I understand where he is coming from but if Aguero & Tevez are in the same side they will run defenders ragged. They both chase everything down and never stop. It could be fun (y)

Chris :)

Emmanuel Eboue has also left Arsenal.

Shame - he was one of the Premier League's characters.

After 40+ years of service, I have also decided to leave Arsenal. Not coming back till Wenger spends some proper money on proper players, or walks away!

So, looking a bit further down the table(s) if anyone's interested. :p

Sky Sports News are reporting that Tony Fernandes has completed his takeover of QPR and they have already tabled a bid of £4m for Scott Parker. Given he's said to be worth twice that, I'm not holding my breath.

In the Championship, 2 of the new promoted clubs have started well with Southampton on a maximum 9 points and Brighton (3-0 up at Cardiff *snigger*) look to be joining them shortly.

Anyway, back to the glory hunters. :D

So, looking a bit further down the table(s) if anyone's interested. :p

Sky Sports News are reporting that Tony Fernandes has completed his takeover of QPR and they have already tabled a bid of £4m for Scott Parker. Given he's said to be worth twice that, I'm not holding my breath.

In the Championship, 2 of the new promoted clubs have started well with Southampton on a maximum 9 points and Brighton (3-0 up at Cardiff *snigger*) look to be joining them shortly.

Anyway, back to the glory hunters. :D

I'd be delighted to get him, am still amazed no top 10 side has gone for him. Warnock certainly appeared happier than he has done for ages, so I guess he's been told he has some money to spend - be an interesting 10 days!

I'd be delighted to get him, am still amazed no top 10 side has gone for him. Warnock certainly appeared happier than he has done for ages, so I guess he's been told he has some money to spend - be an interesting 10 days!

you mean you're surprised not no top ten club has gone for him YET. For some reason everyone likes to leave it until the last day to do the deals - I assume so that the club selling have less room to negotiate back if they want the cash?

Kind of like on ebay where everyone puts their bids in during the last 30 seconds

After 40+ years of service, I have also decided to leave Arsenal. Not coming back till Wenger spends some proper money on proper players, or walks away!

can't blame you tbh, Wenger could sell Wilshere for £1, play Gunnersaurus up front and some fans would still insist it's a masterstroke.
We really need Hazard, another attacking midfielder such as Marvin Martins, Valbuena or Willian and a CB such as Cahill or Mertersacker and a striker wouldn't go amiss either.
I mean..if we sell both Fibreglass and Nasri and no replacement is bought in..well..dammmn

Spurs rumoured to be approaching players all summer, but it finally looks like the adebayor deal could be on the cards. It would be amazing if we could get him in time for MUN on Monday! Any other spurs fans out there?

Let's just hope there are some decent players who want to come to Loftus Rd.

you mean you're surprised not no top ten club has gone for him YET. For some reason everyone likes to leave it until the last day to do the deals - I assume so that the club selling have less room to negotiate back if they want the cash?

Kind of like on ebay where everyone puts their bids in during the last 30 seconds

Yep, there'll be some frantic negotiations on the 31st and I'd expect Parker will sign for Spurs if the media are to be believed.

You see wenger - Spend money on players and you win. Hopefully this will spur him to make some big signings in the next 10 days. If not and he still believes that we are unlucky etc... Then he needs to be sacked.

Still amazed the Arse paid us £12 million for a 17yr old who's only ever played in league one!

OTOH who cares cos we are still top of the league!!!

come on you Reds (y)

Last edited:
You see wenger - Spend money on players and you win. Hopefully this will spur him to make some big signings in the next 10 days. If not and he still believes that we are unlucky etc... Then he needs to be sacked.

What players do you think he should try and bring in and 'if' Wenger was to go, who would you like instead ?

Last edited:
We need 2 quality central defs like cahill, jagielka or samba. Maybe hangeland at fulham too. Like the look if Gibbs but does pick up knocks so a decent player who can play rb or lb like oshea would have been good. We need a player like Parker or Barton or Nolan in mid, and need a decent winger too. At the moment only wilshire, Walcott and nasri are any good (song is ok). Up front we could do with a Darren bent or Defoe type, and a decent target man.

Manager wise, I just don't know, but wenger is blind to the problems we have.

We need 2 quality central defs like cahill, jagielka or samba. Maybe hangeland at fulham too. Like the look if Gibbs but does pick up knocks so a decent player who can play rb or lb like oshea would have been good. We need a player like Parker or Barton or Nolan in mid, and need a decent winger too. At the moment only wilshire, Walcott and nasri are any good (song is ok). Up front we could do with a Darren bent or Defoe type, and a decent target man.

Manager wise, I just don't know, but wenger is blind to the problems we have.

I'm not too sure about that, I think the board have a big hand in what goes down and whilst they say money's available I read a report from someone with inside info earlier saying they are the tight fisted ones especially when it comes to wages..AW has said alot of crazy strange contradictary things as of late and one can only speculate that he is saying what his bosses want to hear.

Agreed on the CB's, but Barton? seriously? the last thing we need is a disruptive influence, we need a leader a la Patrick Viera not someone who is gonna scare the kids (of which there are plenty), TV5 is great but we could really do with a leader, Parker perhaps, plus Hazard - he is a must. Interestingly we have been linked with Kaka on a loan move..weird and very odd and can't see it happening personally but stranger things have happened. Plus Kevin Doyle or Mauro Zarate, a striker with Prem experience to really give RVP a) support b) a run for his money.

Lastly, what really saddened me is AW decided to play Bendtner and Arseshavin over Chambered Ox and Ryodinho (though it was great to see Miquel making a start over Squallaci, lets face it, we can't do any worse than him and he performed adequately bearing in mind it was his first first team outing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back