The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong choice of words Joe, abysmal - no but silly - yes.

Fergie will have a word with Evra and that is why he is a great manager just like other great managers (Clough, Shankly, Stein, Busby and Robson)

Any back to the riots, if Fergie thinks that fans will riot because someone won't shake a hand then those fans don't deserve to be at the match. I certainly would not have rioted or even jumped out of my seat for that matter but it is comments like this from Fergie that flame it. Dalglish is no better and in fact probably worse when it comes to inflaming a situation. Those two should know better.

Last edited:
Well WBA winning means that this weeks bet will either be a draw or me winning the ale.

I'll go:

Blackburn v QPR 0-2
Wolves v West Brom 0-1 (wolves have suffered injuries to their midfield midweek that leaves them looking weak in the middle)
Bolton v Wigan 1-2 (tough to call and could go either way)

I was way off on the Blackburn game but was right to see Wolves would be weak (although I never expected the score to be this convincing, Odemwingie has been devastating) and I guessed the Bolton game bang on. Also made a bit of money off Suarez scoring and Man U to win 2-1.

now an apology from dogliesh,so looks like they were in the wrong after all.
who would have thought it

Villa 0-1 man city and the balance is restored, phew.

A draw then Tom, enjoy your beer, I certainly will. Still 2-1 to me.

Villa 0-1 man city and the balance is restored, phew.

A draw then Tom, enjoy your beer, I certainly will. Still 2-1 to me.

Fair result from what I gather, I would worry about my team if I were a Villa fan though. That has to be the worst performance by a premier league team this season.

Shall we do a Europa special for Thursday (if there are enough matches of course?)

Enjoy the Moonraker, you only need a half because you are a lightweight.

Oooh, I hope the Zambian goalie gets a good talking too for taunting Drogbha after his penalty miss! How dare he look happy while an opponent is still on the pitch :D

Fair result from what I gather, I would worry about my team if I were a Villa fan though. That has to be the worst performance by a premier league team this season.

Shall we do a Europa special for Thursday (if there are enough matches of course?)

Enjoy the Moonraker, you only need a half because you are a lightweight.

I don't do Europa league. It's as much a booby prize as the carling cup.

Real ale comes in half pints? That's news to me.

Goal of the month.. on MOTD 2 was a hard choice.. couldn't pick one?

Just edited as it was goal of the month not season..

Last edited:
Gerrard said:
Goal of the season on MOTD 2 was a hard choice.. couldn't pick one?

There were some absolute screamers in there. Probably gardner's freekick would be my choice.

well we have the FA cup break now and then the final run to the end of the season.

looking at the remaining PL fixtures for 4th spot I think liverpool have the easiest run in.

Chelsea have to play city away, spurs at home, newcastle at home and liverpool away
Arsenal have to play liverpool away, newcastle at home, city at home, chelsea at home and stoke away

both of these are also still in CL.

Newcastle have arsenal away, liverpool at home, chelsea away and city at home.
Liverpool have arsenal at home newcastle away and chelsea at home

So, on paper it looks like it slightly more favorable for liverpool, in reality we'll see.

Looking at the top of the table Man U have the much easier run to the end with really only the spurs game and city games being the tough games on paper.

City have chelsea, stoke away, arsenal away, newcastle away and united at home. Looking at these fixtures I can't see how city are going to manage it now, I think they needed to get to this point with 5 points ahead of united, especially now that united are getting their team fit again.

With a heavy heart I'm calling it united's title again.

well we have the FA cup break now and then the final run to the end of the season.

looking at the remaining PL fixtures for 4th spot I think liverpool have the easiest run in.

Chelsea have to play city away, spurs at home, newcastle at home and liverpool away
Arsenal have to play liverpool away, newcastle at home, city at home, chelsea at home and stoke away

both of these are also still in CL.

Newcastle have arsenal away, liverpool at home, chelsea away and city at home.
Liverpool have arsenal at home newcastle away and chelsea at home

So, on paper it looks like it slightly more favorable for liverpool, in reality we'll see.

Looking at the top of the table Man U have the much easier run to the end with really only the spurs game and city games being the tough games on paper.

City have chelsea, stoke away, arsenal away, newcastle away and united at home. Looking at these fixtures I can't see how city are going to manage it now, I think they needed to get to this point with 5 points ahead of united, especially now that united are getting their team fit again.

With a heavy heart I'm calling it united's title again.
Citeh will be fine once Rodney Tevez is back in the side.

the city united game at the end of april is going to be very very interesting both teams will have wanted to have clinched it by then

Liverpool have been suffering from 80's United Syndrome though, dropping points to lower teams while performing well against the top clubs. The relegation battlers might just throw the odd spanner in the works.

Last edited:
Goal of the month.. on MOTD 2 was a hard choice.. couldn't pick one?

Just edited as it was goal of the month not season..

Yeah, we all know where Goal of the Season is going anyway, thanks....

ambrose_1416453a.jpg

I think about 5 or 6 managers will be getting P45s by the end of the season in the Prem.

I have just forwarded my application and CV, I can't be any worse than some of these managers and I will do it for half their fees. I am a shoe in for the Wolves job.

mick mccarthy gone.

Thank god, i cant stand his drowny voice.

Despite his voice, be interesting to see who Wolves replace him with. If they do go down, he's the perfect man to bring them back up!

They are on a pretty awful run and looked terrible when I saw them against QPR when it was 11 v 11.

We are in a similar position to them in the league, but Mark Hughes knew we would be investing (and he could sign some players himself) so we'd have a decent enough chance of staying up. Whoever comes in at Wolves will have the same team, and a good chance of being in the Championship next year.

Paul Hart's application is on the way....

I think Wolves chairman is hoping that a new manager may give the existing players a bit of a lift, enough to keep them in the premiership, until the end of the season.

Personally I don't see it happening.

5 or 6?

I can't see that.

maybe 2 more. Villas boas and maybe mancini if he doesn't win the prem

Well add Wigan, WBA, Blackburn, Bolton.
There might be none but could be 5 or 6 as I said.

PS.. Even Wenger's not safe Joe.

Last edited:
Well add Wigan, WBA, Blackburn, Bolton.
There might be none but could be 5 or 6 as I said.

PS.. Even Wenger's not safe Joe.

i'll give you blackburn true. But I can't see bolton getting rid of owen coyle.

Any Scottish fans here?
Rangers have announced their intention to go into administration

I wish people would make their minds up. A few weeks ago Blatter got slated for saying racial issues could be sorted with a handshake, now suarez is slated for not shaking hands!!!

Any Scottish fans here?
Rangers have announced their intention to go into administration

First of all, as a 'Diddie fan' (aka a fan from another Scottish Club outwith the Old Firm) anything going wrong for ne of the ugly sisters is entirely pleasing. However there is going to be knock on effects if Rangers go to into administration.

The HRMC are going after £49 Million and if no agreement is settled within the next 10 days then Rangers officially enter admin, from that point things could get drastic and liquidation is a likely outcome as I can not see the HRMC accepting a 25p to the pound deal or anything like that (they have rejected previous deals from other Scottish clubs such as Dundee).

Now the scenario is an extreme and the cynic in me suggests that Whyte is doing this as there is a benefit in it somewhere for Rangers. but with Celtic posting a reduction of profits in the 2nd half of 2011 of £180,000 (down from £7 million) and Hearts failing to pay staff and players on time 3 or 4 times this season so far, Scottish football finically is in deep trouble.

I've said it before on this thread, for Scottish football to get better we need a new structure and maybe if Rangers go bust then it's the start...but more clubs could fall victim and go the same way before it gets better. It's going to be an interesting next 10/15 days I think.

As a Celtic fan, it's hard to feel sorry for Rangers but this clearly isn't good for anyone.

It's about time that we had a re-adjustment of the financial and football landscape and that might mean a more competitive SPL as clubs will no longer have to spend far above their means to try and keep up with the Old Firm. It will probably mean we fall further behind in European terms though.

Oh, and hello to MackieStaggie, I was born and brought up in Alness!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back