The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Ferguson, and now Beckham...

Retirement seems in vogue at present! :D

I was highlighting the hypocrisy of some who were Terry bashing - giving an example that Rooney did and people did not react to that.
Football banter relies heavily on hypocrisy and bias and doesn't need highlighting :D
Besides, the Terry 'bashing' started last year for his kitted up trophy lifting, so Rooney may have just been following his example ;)

Peter Hill-Wood is reported to have retired as Arsenal Chairman effective from the end of the season, likely due to his health problems earlier in the year.

I can't help but wonder if that opens the door for the return of the great David Dein.

Not a word on Beckham - we can't have this. One of my favourite England players of recent times now sadly retiring. Got to see him play live a few times in his prime for England, apart from his talent his work-rate was amazing. A shame he went to the US and a shame Mclaren dropped him but such is life.

I see Gus Poyet has been suspended by Brighton, I wonder if he is headed to a Premier League team. A strange situation.

Peter Hill-Wood is reported to have retired as Arsenal Chairman effective from the end of the season, likely due to his health problems earlier in the year.

I can't help but wonder if that opens the door for the return of the great David Dein.

Please God he has and please God he does.

How refreshing to have all the games on at the same time today.

I wish Sky would have made them all available though.

Should never have been allowed to leave.

Interesting, we have signed an injury prone player who has played 10 games in 3 years!!!

Should never have been allowed to leave.

Interesting, we have signed an injury prone player who has played 10 games in 3 years!!!

I assume by injury prone you actually mean 2 significant injuries in his career. One broken leg and one torn muscle.

Given the number of academy players released it's inevitable that we bring in more youth.

Anyone who played last year's Football Manager should know the name Yaya Sanogo. He was one of the very best young strikers available. His reputation is exceptional, and will cost us virtually nothing having been signed on a free transfer, but hey, let's not allow that to get in the way of a bit of the old Arsenal-bashing by our own.

How refreshing to have all the games on at the same time today.

It would be nice if it was a Saturday though.

Pity the relegation battle didn't go down to the wire. And it would have been nice for the Title to have gone till the last game too.

I read an interested quote from Jamie Carragher who said that they used to laugh at the Italian and Spanish leagues for changing managers so frequently, and now it is the same here. :thinking: I think that may have had an effect on his choice to go into the media rather than looking to stay in the game in some capacity.

Hopefully he'll miss football and get back into the game at some level. I think he could do well as a coach or manager. I didn't rate him when he first got into the Liverpool team, but he has proved what can be achieved by hard work and dedication, and for a few years he was one of the best centre backs in the leadue. :clap:

Is that play off possibility not possible now there's been goals at chelsea (thought it had to be 0-0)?

I assume by injury prone you actually mean 2 significant injuries in his career. One broken leg and one torn muscle.

Given the number of academy players released it's inevitable that we bring in more youth.

Anyone who played last year's Football Manager should know the name Yaya Sanogo. He was one of the very best young strikers available. His reputation is exceptional, and will cost us virtually nothing having been signed on a free transfer, but hey, let's not allow that to get in the way of a bit of the old Arsenal-bashing by our own.

Wasn't arsenal bashing, Just questioning the buy.

Ha ha Bale. Justice done for cheating and diving.

Could have been a pen though. Yellow deserved but I wonder if ref would ever award a pen but also give the yellow for making the most of it.

Arsenal and Spurs both seem a bit lame so far.

Well done St Johnstone.

We'll have European football here in Perth next season.

Overall a good day.

Liverpool win
Everton get beat and don't make their points total record
Fergies last game ends in a draw and conceding 5 goals
Spurs get blocked from CL footy
I win my ff mini league

Good stuff

I guess you lost your bet about liverpool finishing closer to the bottom than top as well phil?

I doubt Ferguson would want to finish with Utd letting 5 in

He didn't look too happy at the end, but at least it didn't cost us the title this time :D

Overall a good day and a great year.

Liverpool win
Everton get beat and don't make their points total record
Fergies last game ends in a draw and conceding 5 goals
Spurs get blocked from CL footy
I win my ff mini league

Good stuff

I guess you lost your bet about liverpool finishing closer to the bottom than top as well phil?

Have to agree - a great day

So many great servants bowing out today - Scholes, Fergie, Harper, Carragher to name just a few.

A bit of a blip with the United result but it didn't matter. It was fitting it was such a mad game - just very pwoud to see Fergie with the fans at the end.

AVB misses out on Champions League Footy

I win (I think) my FF league - quids in

I did loose my bet about Liverpool finishing closer on points to the bottom than the top but that bet was more about an insulting prediction than a likely outcome. The fact it was even close gave me satisfaction enough.

The bet with the same Scouse pal (first to 20 league titles) was the big £ one that really mattered. Everton finishing above Liverpool was a wee £ bonus.

St Johnstone secure European football for Perth next season.

Last edited:
Only saw the clips on Sky Sports News, including the bit where tottenham fans thought newcastle had equalised :LOL:
reminded me of man city thinking a draw against liverpool was good enough to stay up years ago (and they say united fans talk pish) :D

Where and fact and fiction meet, greet and get married.

Oh yeah, absolutely. But it's an indication of their reputation for obscure players who aren't well known. Only a handful of the most highly regarded players at the time get the high in-game potential. Whether they meet that expectation in real life remains to be seen, of course.

'The Secret Footballer' is currently 99p on Kindle, may be today only not sure.

Oh yeah, absolutely. But it's an indication of their reputation for obscure players who aren't well known. Only a handful of the most highly regarded players at the time get the high in-game potential. Whether they meet that expectation in real life remains to be seen, of course.

Absolutely, the problem with it if you play it a lot, is you start to think people are good in real life who are only good in the game!

Absolutely, the problem with it if you play it a lot, is you start to think people are good in real life who are only good in the game!

I'm under no illusion of the leap needed from a young player at Ligue 2, to become even a mediocre Premier League player. I've just seen lots of people suggesting this is a nobody who's been plucked up on a free when in actual fact he's got quite a reputation already.

He's the type of player I love anyway. Tall, physical and pacey, but with bags of technical finesse. I really hope he thrives...if we get him. I don't think it's even done and dusted yet.

Edit: reports that Lyon could be willing to match the club's €14m valuation for Gervinho. Cambsno will be pleased!

Last edited:
well done to arsenal. made it just about.please lets now move forward and go for the title.no more fighting for top 4. lets fight for the title.

Edit: reports that Lyon could be willing to match the club's €14m valuation for Gervinho. Cambsno will be pleased!

I would accept 14p, can't believe someone is willing to spend that sort of money on him.

I understand we will be signing higuain from Madrid!

well done to arsenal. made it just about.please lets now move forward and go for the title.no more fighting for top 4. lets fight for the title.

Unlikely, that said could be interesting next year with new managers at all the teams you would expect to complete the top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back