The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've won 1 game in the last 17 that Mike Dean has overseen. 1 in 17!

Referees are usually given a minimum of 72 hours off between officiating games. Mike Dean covered Sunderland v Southampton 48 hours ago.

It's not about the odd decision going sometimes for and sometimes against. It's about a statistically significant deviation from Arsenal's usual results under one specific referee.

There could well be a legitimate reason for how his style doesn't compliment Arsenal's flow or whatever, but 1 in 17 is remarkable enough to need looking at.

I have heard that. Not done any research but thought that part of that is because he is supposed to be a 'top' ref so maybe is more likely to ref us v Chelsea, Man U etc... While the free kick was debatable, it was a combo of poor jumping and a good strike that gave them the goal.

Interesting comment on sky... a defeat is better than a draw for us... a draw would see us 1pt behind, but Sunderland safe so they will be on holiday mode. A defeat means we are 2 pts behind but then Sunderland will need to win!

I have heard that. Not done any research but thought that part of that is because he is supposed to be a 'top' ref so maybe is more likely to ref us v Chelsea, Man U etc... While the free kick was debatable, it was a combo of poor jumping and a good strike that gave them the goal.

Interesting comment on sky... a defeat is better than a draw for us... a draw would see us 1pt behind, but Sunderland safe so they will be on holiday mode. A defeat means we are 2 pts behind but then Sunderland will need to win!

Sunderland? Do you mean Newcastle?

No, sunderland play spurs. If sunderland need get points they may play well, if we draw, as long as Sunderland dont lose 10-0 or something they are safe. Makes sense to me!

Oh I see. Sorry thought you were referring to our last fixture. I'm with you now.

At this stage I don't buy into any of that thinking. 4 points is better than 3, and 6 is what we need.

Another great performance by Mike the spud Dean.

I'm sure if Cazorla had both legs and arms broken this evening, Dean would have waved play on.

Off to the secondary school for my eldest daughter's parent's night tonight.

Not sure if I'll be back for the Europa Final.

Is Terry out and if so has he packed his shin pads ?

Apparently he's not playing but will still lift the trophy if they win.

Always a classy bloke that JT !

As I said last year... if Gerrard was in the same situation he too would probably do the same... same with any other iconic captains of the team. He is the captain, and is a real leader in the Tony Adams mould.

For JT it's all about the glory. He wants to be the one in the papers with the trophy above his head.

A real leader would look at the work put in by others and give them their day in the sun - just like Dave Whelan leading Wigan out onto wembley last weekend.

Just my opinion, in sure yours will differ.

How different is that to all the fringe Man U players that picked up a medal at the weekend?

Rules have changed now, so there isn't a minimum amount of appearances (or much smaller). And collecting a medal amongst the other players is nothing like lifting a trophy first :shrug:

I hope it's a Benfica player that lifts it to be honest :D

Rules have changed now, so there isn't a minimum amount of appearances (or much smaller). And collecting a medal amongst the other players is nothing like lifting a trophy first :shrug:

I hope it's a Benfica player that lifts it to be honest :D

But isn't john terry the captain?

How different is that to all the fringe Man U players that picked up a medal at the weekend?

I'm not saying he shouldn't get a medal. Lifting a trophy is quite different though. Fringe players get a medal at any club for any trophy providing they've played the required number of games.

A better comparison was Roy Keane and Paul Scholes coming out in suit and tie to join the United European Cup winning team in 99. They were reluctant to join the lap of honour yet alone come out and lift the trophy.

Regardless of the fact that Chelsea wanted Terry to do it - it still made him look a bit silly.

In 20 or 30 years when nobody can remember the fact that he didn't play - it will be him in the pictures and he knew fine well. He even wore his shin pads. :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm not bothered who wins although the 'Benfica Curse' has to end at some point.

I so want Terry to lift it though LOL

Benfica taking turns to mess up goal scoring chances so far.

Last edited:
Did Wayne Rooney not come out in full kit at the weekend to collect his medal ???

Did Wayne Rooney not come out in full kit at the weekend to collect his medal ???

I've no idea. I just know I wouldn't want to and I certainly wouldn't want to make myself the most prominant person being presented with the cup.

They've had a long old season so perhaps.

Think back to their CL final - they weathered that storm and got what they needed. I still fancy them to go on to win.

Well done Chelsea :clap:

A much better game to watch in the 2nd half

The Bela Guttmann curse continues :eek:

Now we need a Terry

I was about to say let's watch Platini pretend to look happy about another of our clubs picking up a trophy when Clive Tyldesley said just that.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get a medal. Lifting a trophy is quite different though. Fringe players get a medal at any club for any trophy providing they've played the required number of games.

A better comparison was Roy Keane and Paul Scholes coming out in suit and tie to join the United European Cup winning team in 99. They were reluctant to join the lap of honour yet alone come out and lift the trophy.

Regardless of the fact that Chelsea wanted Terry to do it - it still made him look a bit silly.

In 20 or 30 years when nobody can remember the fact that he didn't play - it will be him in the pictures and he knew fine well. He even wore his shin pads. :LOL:

So what if Keane and scholes chose not to. Doesn't mean everyone else has to follow their choice. Terry is the team captain and at the time was still a huge part of the overall campaign.

I dont see the problem with it, seems odd to me that it even got mentioned to be honest :shrug:

Well done chelsea and well done rafa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back