The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shouldn't have.

My thoughts after the first 9 mins when our keeper had to make 6 saves to avoid going a goal down.

We are just so far behind the rest of Europe now it's scary, I would put us almost 20 years behind in terms of technical ability. Apart from possibly 'the Fletcher's' and Rhodes, no other player stands out as anything other than 'good'.

Levein has to go, too many errors and inconstant selections showed a man lost at International Football. (Kris Commons a good example, not good enough to be named in his initial selection then after 1 drop out for this squad he's an automatic start!!!!) and lets not go on about the Ian Black selection. It's not all his fault and the new guy will have the same challenges to face, however we need a manager with a fresh slate, the current manager has to much baggage now to give it a fair crack.

To be fair I see Belgium as an outside bet in the next 2 tournaments - they have some genuine world class players and are a good side. No disgrace in losing to them.

Scotland are pants, and if you look at the size of country are probably performing as they should. They did over achieve in the 70s and 80s but the scottish league is so poor they will never improve even with another manager.

cambsno said:
To be fair I see Belgium as an outside bet in the next 2 tournaments - they have some genuine world class players and are a good side. No disgrace in losing to them.

Scotland are pants, and if you look at the size of country are probably performing as they should. They did over achieve in the 70s and 80s but the scottish league is so poor they will never improve even with another manager.

If anything i'd say they're underachievers in the last couple of years! They have an absolutely top quality squad that perhaps only lacks a world-class striker but with Lukaku growing up fast and Mirallas looking good for Everton maybe that can change.

Serbian FA deny any wrong doing from their fans.... and blame Danny Rose.

What happened at the under-21 game was a disgrace. Hopefully whatever governing body has responsibility over it will deal with it swiftly and sternly.

Almost kick off time for the delayed England v Poland game on ITV for anyone who hasn't seen it's on now.

Does anyone actually rate Carrick? I haven't a clue how he's found his way into an England kit!

I was going to say the same about Rooney until a couple of minutes ago!

gramps said:
I was going to say the same about Rooney until a couple of minutes ago!

It was a rather fortunate flick off the shoulder, and he has misplaced plenty of passes.

Before the United players think I'm just bashing their players let me say that Cleverley looks one of the best players out there (y)

TriggerHappy said:
Does anyone actually rate Carrick? I haven't a clue how he's found his way into an England kit!

Yep (typing on phone and watching match though)

What I would say is he is a good deep midfield player with a great pass and the sort of player that is suited to holding and controlling a game rather than running around like an idiot chasing a game. He's certainly contributed well within United's team over the years which is = to being of England standard.

He's not been up to much so far today though.

Borini is out for up to three months following a broken foot requiring surgery...ouch!

joescrivens said:
He wasn't really doing much anyway so no great loss there

Probably because he was being played out of position on the wide right. It does leave a dilemma for when Suarez gets fatigued though, with no senior cover available.

No139-Rooney.jpg

Cuddy said:
Interesting Phil, glad im not an Arsenal fan, and also that our local rivals Sunderland are more expensive on every level except programmes.

Arsenal gets some stick for its season ticket prices but a lot of people don't realise it also covers all home cup games and not just PL games which I believe is unique. Match day tickets are actually priced quite reasonably, particularly for cup games against lower league sides where we consistently have the highest crowd capacities of any premier league side facing much smaller opposition because of our cut-price ticket policy.

Even so the season ticket isn't cheap, but it's far more reasonable in that context.

I also happen to know there's an executive, all the frills, season ticket available for circa 15k at Arsenal so I have no idea what that highest season ticket price column is all about.

I was actually quite pleased how we compared to our rivals on the cheapest day out :)

Last edited:
Just pulled up some stats to make my point about the attendance Arsenal gets in smaller games.

Our most recent Capital One Cup game was a home game against Coventry City, and had an attendance of 58,351.

At the same time Manchester City played a home game against Aston Villa - who are arguably a bigger opposition and should draw a larger crowd - but achieved an attendance of only 28,015.

Similarly, Manchester United played a home game against Newcastle and had a crowd attendance of just 46,358.

Say what you like about the season ticket price, but Arsenal are the best at filling their stadium for the smaller games which fewer people tend to be interested in.

There is nothing wrong with charging the most if u sell seats. Business is all about supply and demand.

Just pulled up some stats to make my point about the attendance Arsenal gets in smaller games.

Our most recent Capital One Cup game was a home game against Coventry City, and had an attendance of 58,351.

At the same time Manchester City played a home game against Aston Villa - who are arguably a bigger opposition and should draw a larger crowd - but achieved an attendance of only 28,015.

Similarly, Manchester United played a home game against Newcastle and had a crowd attendance of just 46,358.

Say what you like about the season ticket price, but Arsenal are the best at filling their stadium for the smaller games which fewer people tend to be interested in.
Am I right in thinking that the scenario involving man city & man utd their fans had to purchase tickets for the cup games but the ticket was included in the price of a season ticket at Arsenal?...if so no wonder the attendances were lower as it was already included in the price....not rocket science to work out why.

can't wait to see all the glum faces if Arsenal don't get a home tie for any round of the cup comps.

one other fact is that Arsenal fans are desperate to see the team win a match trophy so they think this is their best opportunity while city and united fans have bigger ambitions.

tiler65 said:
Am I right in thinking that the scenario involving man city & man utd their fans had to purchase tickets for the cup games but the ticket was included in the price of a season ticket at Arsenal?...if so no wonder the attendances were lower as it was already included in the price....not rocket science to work out why.

can't wait to see all the glum faces if Arsenal don't get a home tie for any round of the cup comps.

one other fact is that Arsenal fans are desperate to see the team win a match trophy so they think this is their best opportunity while city and united fans have bigger ambitions.

Yeah, some of the fans will have been season ticket holders, but they'll only equate to a small percentage of the overall capacity. I'd argue that it's only a good thing that ST holders can attend cup games because no one likes to stand in a half-empty stadium.

I'm on my phone now so can't be bothered to search the web for the ticket prices to illustrate the difference, and frankly the tone in you final paragraph means I wouldn't bother even if I was at a computer. I seem to remember some outrage that United were charging Newcastle fans something like £40 for a ticket. With pricing like that, it's little wonder there was a half-full stadium.

It's nothing to do with wanting to see us win, that's one of the most pathetic comments I've seen, it's because the club encourages fans to take an active interest in all competitions rather than just the PL and the late stage CL games.

I suppose it would be a little far for United fans to travel just to see a capital one cup game though, regardless of prohibitive ticket costs ;)

the united game was live on sky,was the arsenal game?

How many season ticket holders attended the game Arsenal v Coventry....that is where your answer will lie as to why the stadium was near full + I do believe that coventry took 7k supporters which is virtually unheard of for that club.

And the United fans do believe that they are being charged too much, but still cheaper than Arsenal prices - go figure who is the mug.

Last edited:
I suppose it would be a little far for United fans to travel just to see a capital one cup game though, regardless of prohibitive ticket costs ;)

To be fair, a midweek game will be tough for utd fans. Having to fight rush hour out of London up the m1 and back to London and the home counties after midnight.

Wouldn't make a difference if united did include the home cup games. It's still an away game for the fans up the m1 :D

To be fair, a midweek game will be tough for utd fans. Having to fight rush hour out of London up the m1 and back to London and the home counties after midnight.

Yep - sometimes I wish United were unable to attract fans from far and wide :naughty:

It does make me giggle looking at the places of residence from the contributors to this thread and realise that I am one of the only ones that live in the city/town of my supported club...... so your theory of UTD fans only coming from the smoke has terrible double standards. In fact I think it was proved not long back that majority of the season ticket holders live within 20 miles of Old Trafford. Not bad considering they must have moved London 182 miles further north during extensive development of their fine stadium.

In fact I think it was proved not long back that majority of the season ticket holders live within 20 miles of Old Trafford.

only a small portion of Arsenal fans actually live in Highbury too

It does make me giggle looking at the places of residence from the contributors to this thread and realise that I am one of the only ones that live in the city/town of my supported club...... so your theory of UTD fans only coming from the smoke has terrible double standards. In fact I think it was proved not long back that majority of the season ticket holders live within 20 miles of Old Trafford. Not bad considering they must have moved London 182 miles further north during extensive development of their fine stadium.

you're taking it far too seriously tom.

plus the old trafford that you are referring to for your statistic is a pub in Clapham

Last edited:
It does make me giggle looking at the places of residence from the contributors to this thread and realise that I am one of the only ones that live in the city/town of my supported club......

People do move you know after growing up supporting their nearest team. I could go and watch St Johnstone these days but I don't really have any interest in them - unless of course my kids grow up supporting them I guess :eek:

But then there would be no fans. Be careful what you wish for phil.

I was meaning 'as well as' not 'instead of' :p

Fun and games at Wednesday V Leeds tonight by the sounds of it.

[YOUTUBE]8WLhKsI_0Gg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Disgusting. And you can hardly say Kirkland is the kind of player who would deserve that.

Had it been ronaldo or Wayne Rooney then it would have been much more justified :D

I was at the game tonight and its such a disgrace to see this happen. And unfortunately it wasn't just him, there was a number of 'fans' ripping seats out of the stadium and kicking down advertisement boards and throwing them into the crowd/pitch. Even people patting this idiot on the back!

Whats even worse is 1000's of people know who the guy is, and he's posting on his FB profile instead of being in the hands of the police this evening. :nono:

Its a real shame this has happened, as it was a cracking game of football and 2 great goals! Shame Wednesday couldn't take all 3 points though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back