The Football Thread - Season 2013/2014 & World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Blatter didn't seem to agree with Messi picking up that award. I think there was a bit of "Germany can't win everything" going on. If Argentina had won, then maybe Muller or another German may have picked up the player of the tournament award. Germany got the Golden boot and the best 'keeper awards.
Blatter is playing politics. He also says he doesn't agree with the Suarez ban. :)

I think now that Suarez is at Barca things may change with regard to his ban. Things change in football when Barca or Real are involved.

Messi created more chances than any other player at the WC...
Yes, but this was Messi, for some the best player in the World, and he should be taking more chances than many other players as well as creating chances. : -/ We expect the 'better' players to stand out, and the best players to obviously be better than the rest. And they weren't.

It was not just him of course, Ronaldo didn't have a great tournament, and neither did many of the very expensive strikers, but most of them didn't get to the final, and didn't get voted the best player which emphasises that he wasn't the best player. He wasn't even the best player in his team, which Mascarano was for one. :-/

Apparently there was an ex-Liverpool manager on the committee that decided the Golden Ball. I'm surprised they didn't choose Stevie G :rolleyes:

I fundamentally disagree. Every player faced a weaker side at some stage so that's irrelevant. What you've said isn't based on any fact at all so "fact" is actually nothing more than your opinion. If it's fact you're after, then all the stats support he was the most effective player in the tournament in their role.

He played fantastically, despite being singled out for marking more than any other play. If he didn't meet the lofty expectations set of him then that's perhaps one thing, but to say the bar should be higher for one player than another to be awarded the Golden Ball is completely the wrong way to go about it.

And another article for why he was brilliant, because I can't be bothered to waste more time arguing an opinion that won't change: http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2014/07...ll-because-he-was-brilliant-at-the-world-cup/

But how many of those are against teams like Iran? He his fine v lesser teams but against the best teams - holland and Germany he goes missing. Fact is there were half a dozen players at least who were far better.

This actually, sums up Spanish and a number other European countries football. All the time there are only 1 or 2 dominant teams in a league, the "best" players are often playing against the equivalent of Championship or even Div 1 sides. That's why some allegedly great players NEVER end up in the premiership - they'll get found out. Ronaldo is one of the few who has proved that he can play at the highest domestic level in multiple countries.

Borini out £14 million
Remy in £8.5 million

Bet Rodgers can't believe his luck! Still can't believe no-one else went for Remy at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back