The Football Thread - Season 2013/2014 & World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, even though I'd be very surprised if tonight's match could come anywhere near Brazil-Germany's, I'll be routing for Holland. On and off they've played some of the most entertaining football during the World Cup and despite his occasional tumble, Robben has been one of the players of the tournament for me.

Plus it'll be good to spoil the Messi bandwagon and line them up for a Brazil-Argie third place playoff, which for once the teams would probably take very seriously! Even better it'd also mean I won't have to support Germany in the final :cool:

Well, even though I'd be very surprised if tonight's match could come anywhere near Brazil-Germany's, I'll be routing for Holland. On and off they've played some of the most entertaining football during the World Cup and despite his occasional tumble, Robben has been one of the players of the tournament for me.

Plus it'll be good to spoil the Messi bandwagon and line them up for a Brazil-Argie third place playoff, which for once the teams would probably take very seriously! Even better it'd also mean I won't have to support Germany in the final :cool:

Willing Holland on also, though only back form work 20 minutes ago so missed most of it - happy it's gone to extra-time.

That said I like Messi, nothing to dislike about him really so he's a player I would not begrudge a WC medal.

If you don't support Germany in the final you may be disappointed! Bastian Schweinsteiger is a player I love to watch. Will be interesting whoever gets through.

You haven't missed a classic but Holland have had the best of the last 10 mins or so. Mess I has been very quiet

You haven't missed a classic but Holland have had the best of the last 10 mins or so. Mess I has been very quiet

'Not a classic' I almost wish I was still at work! Last night's game did not set expectations for tonight's match very well.

:)

Ah well, flip a coin time. Where's Tim Krul when you need him?

That was so poor its a shame they both couldn't lose

I think they need to remember football is supposed to be an entertainment, that was in the top five worst games I have ever seen.

Yep - I certainly picked the wrong semi-final to fall asleep through.

On a different note - Fifa has just rejected Uruguay and Liverpool striker Luis Suarez's appeal against a four-month ban from all football-related activities.

Sanchez looks like he's being confirmed an arsenal player. Great signing for them!

Next stop City then ;)

Yep - quality player and it may be the transfer that triggers a few moves at different clubs now.

I'm still hoping for Vidal.

Ha!! True!!

It's what arsenal were lacking - options up front. I wonder if Joel Campbell will play too. Together with ox and Walcott (when he's back) looks a good bunch of options. I think if they get bender too it'll be a good summer for them. Not taking fabregas was probably right.

LVG will get the extra 10% from Man U that was list under Moyes. Depends in what signings he follows Shaw up with. Evra going? Loss of even more experience.

I'm quite interested to see how Liverpool do without Suarez. I'm guessing ok!

Looking forward to the new season. Hopefully palace will survive again!

S

How are we going to mop the showers now ?

BsMZfgfIYAA_eEK.jpg

I read that.

Good riddance to him.

RAWK could be fun today.

I'm on holiday near Barcelona in Sept, might try and catch a game! Would really like to see Xavi, Messi, Iniesta etc play live but doubt it will happen. Good signing all round really.

Had to google what RAWK was...:confused: but it was what I imagined and yes could be interesting!

I read that.

Good riddance to him.

RAWK could be fun today.

Sad to see his footballing skills go. The ancillary stuff.....not so much.

Good opportunity for Liverpool to reinvest. Hope they don't do a Spurs.

Wonder if he will do as well in a team that isn't centred around him (Messi/Neymar already there!!) like he was at Liverpool.

Liverpool linked with Bony today also I see. I think they'll be fine, just maybe not quite as exciting!

I'm on holiday near Barcelona in Sept, might try and catch a game! Would really like to see Xavi, Messi, Iniesta etc play live but doubt it will happen. Good signing all round really.

Had to google what RAWK was...:confused: but it was what I imagined and yes could be interesting!

It's a bit of a comedy / parody forum. A lot of poems and such like. Propaganda is rife and any thread is promptly closed if it becomes in any way negative. It's a bit of a totalitarian state but there are some gems to be had.

Last edited:
Its a great price for Liverpool - yes he is world class but will miss too many games for them. The pic above however shows what idiots many fans are... the club have got a great price for him and he has gone to one of the top clubs in the world in another country... Suarez has done nothing wrong on this score and it was probably a move engineered by Liverpool too.

How are we going to mop the showers now ?

BsMZfgfIYAA_eEK.jpg

It'll be harder to see when he's doing nothing. ;)

Suarez has done nothing wrong on this score and it was probably a move engineered by Liverpool too.

I don't think Liverpool will have engineered a move in any way, but once it was clear he wanted to go, probably agreed last year when he signed a new contract, that if someone actually met minimum amount they would have to let him go this time. After what he has done in the World Cup, I doubt Liverpool were in the mood to put up much of a fight to keep him. It was just up to Liverpool get get the best deal they could. It will be interesting to see how close they got to the £75m they were after.

I have doubts that Messi, Neymar and Suarez can play in the same team. If it works, it could be the best attack ever, if not, one or two may be finding a lot of time on the bench. And for all the bad things about Suarez, he wants to play every minute of every match, and has a will to win stronger than any player I've seen. :eek: Neymar being out for awhile may give time for Messi and Suarez to learn to play together.

Liverpool have a lot of players to integrate, and possibly more to come. It will be interesting to see if they manage the situation better that Spurs did last year. :thinking:

Last edited:
Its a great price for Liverpool - yes he is world class but will miss too many games for them. The pic above however shows what idiots many fans are... the club have got a great price for him and he has gone to one of the top clubs in the world in another country... Suarez has done nothing wrong on this score and it was probably a move engineered by Liverpool too.

Agreed.

It's funny. Guilty of racism, biting, embarrassing diving, embarrassing a former Liverpool great Dalglish, banned for multiple games and fans stand by him. Move to a better team, in a country where they speak your native language and your wife's family if from and you are a xxxx. Funny old world!

Anyway, be interesting to see how Liverpool get on next season. Sure there were some stats saying they got more points when he was not playing, plus some money to re-invest. Let's see what Rodgers does. Hopefully they won't be toothless up front. :cool:

Last edited:
Good luck to him I hope he succeeds and truly turns a corner over there. It's a good deal all round. We simply had to sell. No player is bigger than the club and he has caused too many problems for us.

He will still go down in our history to be, apart from Kenny, the greatest player we have had at the club. A simple joy to watch.

I'll miss your crazy talent Luis.

The best goal he ever scored in red. The way he dragged the ball from between the defenders was almost impossible. Barca are a very lucky club.

The best goal he ever scored in red. The way he dragged the ball from between the defenders was almost impossible. Barca are a very lucky club.
As with art it's a matter of opinion. I think he has scored better but it's still a great goal!

Any half decent footballer can score a volley from 30 yards after the ball has bounced. The goal above takes something that few players have ever had. The only other player in my lifetime who could have done something like that is Bergkamp. Bergkamp is the greatest footballer there ever has been.

I'm not so gutted that he is leaving as I am that Sanchez showed such a lack of ambition so he could live in that cesspit known as London.

The signings we've made so far are decent, but nothing to excite. Trouble is that there are no replacements for Suarez and world class forwards are hard to find.

I'm not so gutted that he is leaving as I am that Sanchez showed such a lack of ambition so he could live in that cesspit known as London.

The signings we've made so far are decent, but nothing to excite. Trouble is that there are no replacements for Suarez and world class forwards are hard to find.

He should have gone to the former European cultural centre.......Hull wasn't it

I think Liverpool have made some good signings and the one thing to say about Buck and his staff is that they are starting to gain a reputation for coaching players to be better. I'd be optimistic if I was a Liverpool fan. Obviously some caution due to aspas, and the other spaniard I can't even remember as he appeared so infrequently. Markovic seems a good player. I think there will be more emphasis on team play and I think you'll be better at the back!!

S

Any half decent footballer can score a volley from 30 yards after the ball has bounced. The goal above takes something that few players have ever had. The only other player in my lifetime who could have done something like that is Bergkamp. Bergkamp is the greatest footballer there ever has been.

I have that argument with friends too. Too many times on motd goal of the month is one that I could have scored (given a few attempts). We could all score from a 30 yard free kick. For me, great goals are ones I could try 100 times and still not score.

I can see Liverpool struggling to be top 4 this season. Man U will improve and arsenal are always up there

I can see Liverpool struggling to be top 4 this season. Man U will improve and arsenal are always up there
I didn't expect us to be top four last season so it would not surprise me if we didn't this season either. As long as we keep entertaining I'll enjoy it.

Suarez confirmed by LFC to be leaving
Good, I did want to see the odious little scumbag in our league again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back