badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
Jamie Vardy and Arsenal

Is this likely move a 'good fit'

As a Leicestershire lad and lifetime supporter I want him to stay.
However I'm a realist and Jamie will be 30 in jan and has arrived very late into the 'big money' world of football.
Who can blame him if he cannot turn down Arsenal's £120,000 a week 4 year contract.

I just cannot see him fitting into Arsenal's system ? Wenger has always tried to play 'pure' passing football no long balls out of defence to utilise Vardy' pace.

Should he go or should he stay ? Any 'gooners' here ?

He could be the new "Ian Wright, Wright, Wright !!"

I heard the Emirates needs a better atmosphere so forget Vardy - Will Grigg is who you need!

So pleased to hear Jamie Vardy has rejected the 'even bigger money' to stay at my club Leicester City. So refreshing when most players (who can blame them) go where the biggest money is.

So pleased to hear Jamie Vardy has rejected the 'even bigger money' to stay at my club Leicester City. So refreshing when most players (who can blame them) go where the biggest money is.

Also happy he is staying - that said he is staying apparently for an increase to £100k per week, so he's hardly going to struggle!

In more important news, player sent off for farting - some great quotes in here, it cold be spoof, but it's not!

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-footballer-sent-off-for-farting-during-match

I never thought Vardy would come, but he had the opportunity to move to a club and get Champions League football every season, be more high profile and stake his case to be Englands starting number 9, AND he could have been the new Ian Wright. He will stay at Leicester, not have to fight for a starting position and watch as they slowly slide back down the table into the abyss.

Personally I wondered where he would fit in, whether Wenger had thought about playing 2 up top. He got £100k a week and a 4 year deal, that's a good deal for a 29 year old striker who hasn't had more than 1 good season in the Premier League, that's why he took it....

Also happy he is staying - that said he is staying apparently for an increase to £100k per week, so he's hardly going to struggle!

It is great money, especially for Leicester city but let's not forget there are many footballers in the premier league on 120,000+, 150,000+ And even 200,000+. Vardy is a 24 goal, premier league winner and a current England player
Like it or not it is the going rate these days.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're not, but you actually sound quite bitter :D

I'm not. He is 29 and he had the choice to join one of the biggest clubs in Europe but decided to stay with Leicester. Let's be honest, £5M a year for 4 years will sort him out, plus any endorsements he'll get, so he didn't need the money. I just thought that for professional sports people it was "all about the challenge", but having never been one I wouldn't know.

He had the choice to join one of the biggest clubs in Europe... I just thought that for professional sports people it was "all about the challenge".
Maybe he decided the right thing to do would be to show some loyalty to the club who helped him break through to the top level. Maybe he thinks that he's more likely to score more goals, and therefore more likely to stay in the frame for England, in a Leicester team which plays to his strengths than in an Arsenal team that doesn't.

Maybe he decided the right thing to do would be to show some loyalty to the club who helped him break through to the top level. Maybe he thinks that he's more likely to score more goals, and therefore more likely to stay in the frame for England, in a Leicester team which plays to his strengths than in an Arsenal team that doesn't.

And maybe he knows he'll get a game every week with Leicester.

Arsenal saw an opportunity to get a 20 goal a season striker on the cheap. Vardy (or his agent) saw a way of getting 4 years and an improved package where he was, so it worked out well for him. He was never the world class striker Arsenal fans have been calling for, but he would have done a job. Most teams defend deep against Arsenal, rather like Slovakia, and we saw how that went.....

No aftermath from last night ?

God they were bad. No idea, no plan B, no passion.... And as for "Woy", I wonder how long he had that statement in his pocket !!!

The sooner that Uefa implement this financial fair play rules and are strict with them the better. The money being paid by teams from the likes of Spain, England and China is obscene. There has to be some kind of cap and soon. Talking about 130m euros for Pogba is nonsense. These clubs are ruining football.

The sooner that Uefa implement this financial fair play rules and are strict with them the better. The money being paid by teams from the likes of Spain, England and China is obscene. There has to be some kind of cap and soon. Talking about 130m euros for Pogba is nonsense. These clubs are ruining football.
Pelle moving from ~£40k a week at Southampton to £250k a week in China and becoming the 6th highest paid footballer in the world is just ridiculous. I've no idea how the Chinese can afford to pay such ridiculous wages to a fairly average player. Obviously the Chinese have got to give the players a real incentive to move half way round the world to go and play over there but their high wages have an effect on the European clubs that have to pay more and more just to keep the players they already have.
As an Everton fan I may finally have the chance to see my club being able to compete with some of the richer clubs and see them paying £25m plus for several players but it's not the way success should come.
I still remember waking up to the news on the radio in 1995 and hearing that Andy Cole was signing for Man Utd for £5m and nearly falling out of bed because no player can be worth that stupid amount of money. Here we are in 2016 and the agents are getting £5m from every deal they agree for their players. The footballing world has gone mad.

Quite frankly, Pogba just isn't worth it. He has strength & stamina, that's about it. There were far better footballers at the competition, but the game has got so fast and now seems to be about resilience.

On another note, I was listening to Talk Sport in the car today and apparently there's a push to change the system for 4 points for a win rather than 3, so that, as in Portugal's case, 3 draws isn't as good as 1 win. Good idea I think, but I would rather see an additional point if you score, say 3 goals, so a 3-1 win is worth 4 points rather than 3. That would make the game more interesting.

Quite frankly, Pogba just isn't worth it. He has strength & stamina, that's about it. There were far better footballers at the competition, but the game has got so fast and now seems to be about resilience.

On another note, I was listening to Talk Sport in the car today and apparently there's a push to change the system for 4 points for a win rather than 3, so that, as in Portugal's case, 3 draws isn't as good as 1 win. Good idea I think, but I would rather see an additional point if you score, say 3 goals, so a 3-1 win is worth 4 points rather than 3. That would make the game more interesting.

I don't get the fuss around Pogba.

The 4 points? Was that just presenters/callers suggesting that? Sounds like one of their daft ideas to me; surely you can't have a different point system for tournaments, or are they talking about it across the board?

The 4 points? Was that just presenters/callers suggesting that? Sounds like one of their daft ideas to me; surely you can't have a different point system for tournaments, or are they talking about it across the board?

I think they were talking about tournaments, which I can understand as the new larger format of the Euros produced some dire "don't lose at any cost" football. Anything to see more goals would be better in my book...

I think that ship has sailed. Afaik, it is not being enforced either as much, or any more at all. Pity, because it could have reined in some of the big spenders, and these obscene Chinese bids and wages would be clamped down on.

Pelle being the 6th highest paid player in the World is mental. :eek: :confused: He must think he is the luckiest player in the World, that someone with loads of cash doesn't know too much about football. :LOL:

I don't know about Pogba, one minute he looks a World beater, the next he disappears. :thinking: I think for £100m I'd like him to have more of an influence on games, but definitely never go missing.

4 points for a win! not needed imho. So Portugal got through with 3 draws. They won all there games from then on. I thought the group stages were exciting (qualifying wise) till the final minutes of the final games. Portugal went from being out, to runners up, to winning the group during one game with goals going in late in a game. Now the quality was overall bad for the Euro's, 4 points wouldn't make that any better.

I think they were talking about tournaments, which I can understand as the new larger format of the Euros produced some dire "don't lose at any cost" football. Anything to see more goals would be better in my book...
I thought any rule had to apply to all levels of the game, so I'm surprised if there is genuine talk of different points for tournaments ... Talksport are notorious for running with a story as if it is fact, even when their own news bulletins have stated the contrary every half hour.

Forget pogba... £30m which is what Troy deeny is apparently worth or 20m for Robbie Brady is crazy. Very average players.

Pelle moving from ~£40k a week at Southampton to £250k a week in China and becoming the 6th highest paid footballer in the world is just ridiculous. I've no idea how the Chinese can afford to pay such ridiculous wages to a fairly average player. Obviously the Chinese have got to give the players a real incentive to move half way round the world to go and play over there but their high wages have an effect on the European clubs that have to pay more and more just to keep the players they already have.
As an Everton fan I may finally have the chance to see my club being able to compete with some of the richer clubs and see them paying £25m plus for several players but it's not the way success should come.
I still remember waking up to the news on the radio in 1995 and hearing that Andy Cole was signing for Man Utd for £5m and nearly falling out of bed because no player can be worth that stupid amount of money. Here we are in 2016 and the agents are getting £5m from every deal they agree for their players. The footballing world has gone mad.

According to the news the agent for Paul Pogba is due 30m euros as part of the transfer. That's crazy. Agent's deserve their cut of course as they get the best deals for themselves and their clients but they shouldn't be able to own 30% of a contract.

If the reports are correct isn't it great we are giving the England job to such a modern thinking manager, just what we need to shake us out of the old boring methods and tactics.

Unbelievable if they prefer Allardyce over Klinsmann, might as well have kept Hodgson, in fact this could even be going back to even grimmer days

F.A. are rightly named, just needs "use" after those initials

If the reports are correct isn't it great we are giving the England job to such a modern thinking manager, just what we need to shake us out of the old boring methods and tactics.

Unbelievable if they prefer Allardyce over Klinsmann, might as well have kept Hodgson, in fact this could even be going back to even grimmer days

F.A. are rightly named, just needs "use" after those initials

I like Sam - he is very modern thinking, uses loads of analysis and has done well everywhere he has been. He is a manger who understands tactics well, look at the success he had with Bolton and how he kept a doomed Sunderland up. He will have not just a plan a, but a b, c and probably a d as well. If he does join, I would say he will be a good choice.

he is very modern thinking, uses loads of analysis and has done well everywhere he has been.

Not so sure West Ham or Newcastle fans were too pleased with his brand of football, what has he ever actually won?

Dreadful choice especially if Klinsmann really was in the reckoning, totally revitalised Germany when they were nearly as poor as us

Last edited:
Not so sure West Ham or Newcastle fans were too pleased with his brand of football, what has he ever actually won?

Dreadful choice especially if Klinsmann really was in the reckoning, totally revitalised Germany when they were nearly as poor as us

Well, West Ham aside, every team he has left went down soon after! At West Ham he took them back to the PL and left them a stable club. Ok, he hasn't won anything but aside from Ranieri (who was a flop with Greece), who has won anything outside the big 5.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36786882

Will liverpool fans boycott Talksport now it is owned by the same people who own the s@n

Well done to Colin Murray for acting on his principles and resigning from Talksport. :clap:

I had started listening to his show over the last two years after not really listening to the radio for decades because it was so good. It will be sad to see him leave. :( I think my time of listening to Talksport will soon come to an end too.

I hope Colin Murray finds a place somewhere else on another channel.

Last edited:
So N'golo Kante has left Leicester and joined Chelsea. I am bitterly disappointed. This is the 1st member of Leicester's title winning squad to leave, hopefully the last. There is still talk of Mahrez being unsettled ? Imo Kante will be a huge miss, he was hugely effective patrolling the midfield and winning the ball.

The sooner that Uefa implement this financial fair play rules and are strict with them the better. The money being paid by teams from the likes of Spain, England and China is obscene.
Do you know what the Financial Fair Play rules actually say? Broadly, that clubs can't spend more than they earn. If they earn huge sums of money - through TV rights or commercial sponsorship deals, for example - then they can spend huge amounts of money. So at a time when TV deals are bigger than ever before, clubs have more money than ever before. Implementing and policing FFP strictly wouldn't change that at all.

Plus it might have escaped your attention that FFP is a UEFA initiative and China isn't in Europe.

I was talking about English clubs but the Chinese were mentioned because they are not helping the situation. I know that the FFP rules state that and I also know that the tv deals are obscene BUT there is no way Man City get the type of money they're spending from TV deals and it's well known that their sponsorship deal with Etihad has been exaggerated to allow them to operate outside the rules. Manchester United are the exact same. They money this club has spent in the past three seasons is obscene as it was with Chelsea before them . The only good point is that they are killing their own national team by doing this. England will be also rans for as long as these guys continue to ignore their own youth for overpriced foreigners. You look at the Italian league and the Spanish league and there are always home bred players playing for the big guns but not in England.

So N'golo Kante has left Leicester and joined Chelsea. I am bitterly disappointed. This is the 1st member of Leicester's title winning squad to leave, hopefully the last. There is still talk of Mahrez being unsettled ? Imo Kante will be a huge miss, he was hugely effective patrolling the midfield and winning the ball.
I'm gutted too, really gutted.

I feel losing Steve Walsh is the biggest blow we will suffer in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back