The Football Thread - Season 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same as the previous 8 tournaments. england haven't won anything noteworthy in my lifetime and plenty of crap teams get into tournaments without being very good .... some don't even know the rules :D

Indeed.
I suppose "Come on Scotland" is always worth a chuckle.

Skrtl really wanted to miss the next few games didn't he? Short of slapping the ref he couldn't have done much more to get sent off.

Well, no one interested in the poppy story then.

Something else in the news and something I've been wondering about with regards to a certain 'top' player since the start of this season

Footballers 'would perform better if they came out'
While it seems easy to say that someone should come out, only the individual will know their own situation, and whether it could hamper their working life if they did. So far for the most part there have only been two professional footballers that I can think of in this country that have 'come out' in the last 30 years in the top division, Justin Fashanu and Thomas Hitzlsperger. That is probably a lot of people who have decided that it wasn't a good idea to come out. I thought Hitzlsperger coming out may have led the way, but just like all those years ago, at least in England, it still seems a Taboo in football. A bid sad really in the 21st Century. :(

I have to admit, I didn't know about Hitzlsperger; he nearly got married shortly before coming out apparently.

Didn't Fash come out after he stopped playing though ?

Being a Gooner as I am, there were always rumours around Sol Campbell and Freddie Ljungberg. Both have married women since....

Well, no one interested in the poppy story then.
Whats the story? FIFA are a bunch of arrogant, out-of-touch, micro-managing, vindictive, petty b*****ds? Tell us something we didn't know already.

The charlton circus is back in town. Russel slade sacked this evening. It's never dull down at The Valley.

Typical wenger. Big game and we blow it. Giroud coming on at 72 mins when he should have started and Xhaka has been our best CM on the bench!! Muppet!!

Typical wenger. Big game and we blow it. Giroud coming on at 72 mins when he should have started and Xhaka has been our best CM on the bench!! Muppet!!

If Xhaka had started he would have ended up with a red card - Moanio would have made sure of that. Ramsey - Just not good enough, he can't play wide and we have better players in the middle. Iwobi should have started, or Sanchez on the left with the Donkey up front.

As if any proof was needed that Fifa are still a pathetic organisation... fining the home countries for the poppy issue last month. The funniest thing... that Fifa opened disciplinary proceedings looking at "fans in the stands wearing the poppy" - Really? I can just see that next year... "sorry sir, you cant come in unless you bin your poppy". Pathetic and corrupt organisation. No doubt the fine will need to be paid in cash too!

As if any proof was needed that Fifa are still a pathetic organisation... fining the home countries for the poppy issue last month. The funniest thing... that Fifa opened disciplinary proceedings looking at "fans in the stands wearing the poppy" - Really? I can just see that next year... "sorry sir, you cant come in unless you bin your poppy". Pathetic and corrupt organisation. No doubt the fine will need to be paid in cash too!

Already a separate thread about that - let's not derail this one with such a contentious issue.

Already a separate thread about that - let's not derail this one with such a contentious issue.
Derailing a thread without input for a month. What's happened to all the footie fans? I was actually thinking about this thread when I heard them talking about QPR on talksport this morning

Missed that, anything interesting? Assume Harry was there.
Only had it on for a few minutes, but Harry was sticking up for (I think) Tony Fernandes and pointing out how they are struggling with finances, off loading expensive players (2 world class goalies?) etc. And the slow impact Holloway is having I suppose

Only had it on for a few minutes, but Harry was sticking up for (I think) Tony Fernandes and pointing out how they are struggling with finances, off loading expensive players (2 world class goalies?) etc. And the slow impact Holloway is having I suppose

Sounds about right. Fans already starting to turn on Ollie, there's a reason they say to never go back.

Happy man yesterday. Good result for us against Arsenal given we had four of our best eleven suspended or injured. I really feel for Vincent and particularly Ilkay. Fought to get back after two years of dreadful injuries and then does his cruciate. Very good footballer and a very good bloke too.

Only downer was me slipping coming out of the ground and looking like a right plonker!

Chris

We know the FA is run my muppets, but when are they going to take the common sense approach and get to grips with the endless refereeing cock ups happening every week?

I am not talking about the small decisions, like the marginal offsides or (like Everton v Arsenal), getting a corner wrong. These things happen. We have seen Vardy's questionable red card this weekend, yet no reds for Barklay, Sissoko or a couple from Rojo over recent weeks, plus the Alli dive among others. Get rid of this silly law that says you cant penalise if the ref saw it, take retrospective action!

It's always seemed idiotic that a Referees decision can't overruled. We all make mistakes, and in the Ref's case, they can only see an incident from one angle, which may not be the best position to see how bad an incident was. I understand why it is the way it is, to not undermine the decision and authority of the Referee, but maybe it is time to discuss some changes.

It would be what and when you can challenge, as every decision can't be challenged. I'm not sure that I want players and managers moaning for replays to be checked every two minutes.

No surprise that Pardew got the sack. I think if he didn't have such a good relationship with his Chairman he would have gone months ago with the record had over the last year. And to think when he had his good run, which he seems to have at every club before it goes wrong, he was linked with the England job. :LOL:

And speaking of the England job, he's replaced by the media favourite Allardyce, who gets the call when things go to shi, I mean wrong. ;) I like Palace, and feel they have the players to be mid table team, but I dislike Allardyce and hope he fails this time. I think there are 2-3 teams worse than Palace who's prospects don't look good for the rest of the season.

Thing is with this marriage, Allardyce has never played with a team that is full of pace and based on hitting on the counter. They have Benteke as "big man up front" but he hasn't proved to be very effective since leaving Villa.

Not a Fat Sam fan myself either, but when your side looks like it's going down, who you gonna call ??

Surprises me how few clubs he has managed, considering the reputation for keeping clubs up.

They have Benteke as "big man up front" but he hasn't proved to be very effective since leaving Villa.
8 goals in 15 league appearances this season. How would you define "effective"? (At Villa he scored 42 goals in 89 league appearances, which is a lower strike rate than he currently has at Palace.)

8 goals in 15 league appearances this season. How would you define "effective"? (At Villa he scored 42 goals in 89 league appearances, which is a lower strike rate than he currently has at Palace.)

That's surprising, I bet he won't be taking many more penalties though!

Or he'll be told to leave the fancy stuff for Messi and to remember there's a reason he plays for Palace and not Barcelona. Get your head over the ball, aim a foot or two inside the post and drill it low and hard.

Sad, I think he's paid the price for the wheels coming off at Swansea. I don't think they should have got rid of Guidolin. New owners changing manager just for the sake of it from the outside.:rolleyes: Guidolin should have been given to about this time, and then if it wasn't working out, like Palace, give a new chap time and some money to spend next month.

Great goal by Mici, Maky, the Armenian at Utd. ;) :clap: Pity it should have been ruled offside. :rolleyes: Possible goal of the season so far, but not when it shouldn't have counted. :(

Sad, I think he's paid the price for the wheels coming off at Swansea. I don't think they should have got rid of Guidolin. New owners changing manager just for the sake of it from the outside.:rolleyes: Guidolin should have been given to about this time, and then if it wasn't working out, like Palace, give a new chap time and some money to spend next month.

Great goal by Mici, Maky, the Armenian at Utd. ;) :clap: Pity it should have been ruled offside. :rolleyes: Possible goal of the season so far, but not when it shouldn't have counted. :(

I think getting rid of Monk was a mistake!

Giroud managed to replicate it, onside today.

I was at the game and take it from me he is a lot calmer than I was earlier! Shocking referee performance again (and I am not talking about Fernandinho's red card). I pay a lot of money to watch football and there have been two of the worst refereeing displays I have seen in 49 years of watching City this season. It isn't just City, these clowns are ruining what is meant to be sport / entertainment. Lee Mason today was absolutely appalling. I understand that the ref at Sunderland v Liverpool was having a strange afternoon as well. We won today after playing Burnley and the ref for over 3/4 of the match.

Too many people waiting for Pep to fail, it won't happen. He has been here a few months and will change things when he gets the players in that can play his system.

Onwards and upwards.....

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back