The Football Thread - Season 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where would any of the top teams be without big money backers, even lower down Bournemouth rely on Russian money.

Everyone's favourites Leicester have mega rich backers, in fact its hard to name a team that doesn't.

One of the best run (& unfashionable) clubs, is Burnley.

Where would any of the top teams be without big money backers, even lower down Bournemouth rely on Russian money.

Everyone's favourites Leicester have mega rich backers, in fact its hard to name a team that doesn't.

Arsenal's owner takes money out! Transfer funds come from the bank, not the owner.

I thought the FA Cup final was a very good game for a change. I didn't give Arsenal a chance, but they were far the better team from start to finish. :clap:

The bits of the build up I saw bigging up Kante seems a bit ott in hindsight. Then again anything showing how good Chel$ki players have been(this season at least;)) Just emphasised how badly they played. :LOL:

I thought the Ref had a very good game too, especially the Moses dive, and subsequent 2nd yellow card.

Oh, and Wenger out. ;) :LOL:

Cup final was a really good game and a good advert for the cup. Very pleased for Arsene Wenger after the abuse he's endured this season. Now if Juve can beat Real Madrid next week, that would be most pleasing too :D

I thought the FA Cup final was a very good game for a change. I didn't give Arsenal a chance, but they were far the better team from start to finish. :clap:

The bits of the build up I saw bigging up Kante seems a bit ott in hindsight. Then again anything showing how good Chel$ki players have been(this season at least;)) Just emphasised how badly they played. :LOL:

I thought the Ref had a very good game too, especially the Moses dive, and subsequent 2nd yellow card.

Oh, and Wenger out. ;) :LOL:

Hum, thought some arsenal players took to falling over a little too much with the slightest touch, compared to say Hazard who stayed on his feet with much rougher tackles.
You can see how the Arse missed Mertesacker this season, had a good game, nice to see Ozil put some effort in. First goal should never have been allowed, didn't know volleyball rules applied these days.
The Arse were the more hungry, desperate for something this season.

So 4 more years for Wenger? How many players will he have? Sanchez and the Ox to go?

Hum, thought some arsenal players took to falling over a little too much with the slightest touch, compared to say Hazard who stayed on his feet with much rougher tackles.
You can see how the Arse missed Mertesacker this season, had a good game, nice to see Ozil put some effort in. First goal should never have been allowed, didn't know volleyball rules applied these days.
The Arse were the more hungry, desperate for something this season.

So 4 more years for Wenger? How many players will he have? Sanchez and the Ox to go?
At least they got touched to go down, not like the aforementioned Moses. [emoji6] Seriously, I didn't feel that was the case noticeably more than Chel$ki or any other game.

The first goal was fortunate, but I think in real time it may have looked like he was protecting himself. The best team won on the day, which unless it is my team playing badly, [emoji6] is what I want to see.

Bit foolish of Moses, especially after the FA have announced they will be looking at diving next year, but then having seen so many Arse players falling over at the slightest touch and getting free kicks?
Still, give the Arse fans something to think they've had a successful season... ;)

Well it's obvious that I will be biased, but I didn't see any of the falling over you mentioned. In the lead up to the Chelsea goal Ozil was taken from behind by Luiz, he was hit fairly hard, and the ref let in run.

Likewise, the 1st Arsenal goal, the ball was kicked (a high foot I thought) against Sanchez, and he had no chance to get out of the way. Handball has to be deliberate, I don't think that was.

Mosses could give Tom Daly a run for his money in the diving stakes....

Last edited:
Likewise, the 1st Arsenal goal, the ball was kicked (a high foot I thought) against Sanchez, and he had no chance to get out of the way. Handball has to be deliberate, I don't think that was.
The side on view of Sanchez has his hand going to the ball, which I think was deliberate, but in real time I thought he was protecting himself. I can understand the the Ref getting that wrong in an other great performance.

On a side note about Ref's, I was listening to TalkSport on Friday, and did you know that Referee's can only officiate over one final in their career! I was sure I'd remembered some Ref's doing more than one, but no. :eek:

Ill have to look at the replay to see what you mean [emoji4]

Seriously though, I thought it was a good game, with very little untoward stuff going on.

Not untoward but the Arse with their European experience are playing like some European teams, slight nudge go down for the free kick, especially when around the 18 yard box. Happens a lot, Wenger was clever and brought it in as a tactic a few years ago, other teams have started doing it but it's soft, ruins the flow of the game. If you look at someone like Hazard who rode the challenges..

To be honest I welcome the FA's approach to diving for next season. I've been suggesting it for some time,

.... slight nudge go down for the free kick, especially when around the 18 yard box. Happens a lot, Wenger was clever and brought it in as a tactic a few years ago, other teams have started doing it but it's soft, ruins the flow of the game.
As a philosophy it seems to have taken root. I absolutely hate it when I hear a pundit say "There was contact, so he was entitled to go down". I always thought football was meant to be a contact sport.

Not untoward but the Arse with their European experience are playing like some European teams, slight nudge go down for the free kick, especially when around the 18 yard box. Happens a lot, Wenger was clever and brought it in as a tactic a few years ago, other teams have started doing it but it's soft, ruins the flow of the game. If you look at someone like Hazard who rode the challenges..

To be honest I welcome the FA's approach to diving for next season. I've been suggesting it for some time,
Biggest misconception ever imo and tbh I'm surprised to read this. If any team perpetuates this behaviour, it's Chelsea. It was brought in by Mourinho and has continued ever since. Just a look at United shows what a classless manager he is, with many pundits now calling it out as being skilled in the 'dark arts' rather than what it is, cheating.

I may be biased, but Arsene and Arsenal as a club have always been honest and genuine in the way we play, a lot of the time to our detriment. I watched a YouTube video recently and the number of penalties we've been denied over the last few years through not diving or 'making the most' of a challenge is staggering.

Sanchez & Giroud spend too much time on the floor, but to be fair to Sanchez, he's that good, the opposition see that fouling him is the only way to stop him. Giroud on the other hand is as soft hot butter.... Ali is pretty good at falling over though isn't he?

As a philosophy it seems to have taken root. I absolutely hate it when I hear a pundit say "There was contact, so he was entitled to go down". I always thought football was meant to be a contact sport.

In the last Euro you could be penalised for going too hard into the tackle, excessive force I think they called it. Maybe wear sponge boots and play with a soft ball and don't even think about challenging the keeper albeit fairly.

Two words - Robert Pires :D
One dive? Others are at it weekly mate, come on. British players seem to get a free pass when it comes to diving too; Spurs English contingent, Rooney, Sterling etc are terrible for it and no one bats an eye lid.

Now it makes sense and though I'm stunned by anyone's view that Arsenal dive, coming from a Tottenham fan is truly laughable. Kane et al have been at it for years now.

Wrong player, now if you'd suggested Ali needs to cut some of that out of his game, I'd totally agree. Kane often rides challenges, brings players on, very strong.
And I wasn't suggesting diving, more going down easily under a soft challenge, conning the referee. It's not just an Arse problem, (although they do it a lot), it affects the whole of football and I hope they tighten up on this along with the diving. Trouble is, I'm not sure it'll do us any good in Europe unless Fifa also crack down. Just look at Seria A or some of the Spanish games.

Two words - Robert Pires :D
To be fair, if you'd said Klinsmann :D

One dive? Others are at it weekly mate, come on. British players seem to get a free pass when it comes to diving too; Spurs English contingent, Rooney, Sterling etc are terrible for it and no one bats an eye lid.
And that's the issue (although Striling often gets called out on it). Unless the fans and commentators start calling them out it's going to continue. Doesn't help having Ian Wright as a commentator :D

I think Pires was well versed in managing to roll around for the sake of it, but hey I'm not defending others. Look at players like Klinnsman, Ashley Young and Robert Snodgrass for example, all great players who will happily go over with little provocation.

Truth is every team has or has had those that dive, best way to treat it is to send them off, they won't do it for long.

I think Pires was well versed in managing to roll around for the sake of it, but hey I'm not defending others. Look at players like Klinnsman, Ashley Young and Robert Snodgrass for example, all great players who will happily go over with little provocation.

Truth is every team has or has had those that dive, best way to treat it is to send them off, they won't do it for long.
100%.

We'll ignore the fact that he shouldn't have thrown the ball at his face in the first place. Second yellow as well, wasn't it?

Or that it hit his shoulder, or that he was deliberately stood in the way and been told by the ref to move, or that Wenger went to help the poor man up complaining bitterly...

Or that it hit his shoulder, or that he was deliberately stood in the way and been told by the ref to move, or that Wenger went to help the poor man up complaining bitterly...
It's not even a debate. He had a fat lip, it hit his face, it shouldn't have been thrown at him, he shouldn't have rolled around. End of story.

It's not even a debate. He had a fat lip, it hit his face, it shouldn't have been thrown at him, he shouldn't have rolled around. End of story.
Video footage showed it hit his shoulder not his face, the ball went nowhere near his face. How he got the fat lip shown well afterwards is anyones guess, perhaps Wenger hit him? Fergie used to have a temper :D
He did like rolling around on the floor for several minutes.

TELEMMGLPICT000127024346-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqkXbkQY4xF11YSbIjVXCcooF5AKrEzaBz84qfMfZKRcU.jpeg

And here's the issue. You're defending him. NO! call the players out on it, refuse to accept this, let the players know this isn't acceptable.

Last edited:
Video footage showed it hit his shoulder not his face, the ball went nowhere near his face. How he got the fat lip shown well afterwards is anyones guess, perhaps Wenger hit him? Fergie used to have a temper :D
He did like rolling around on the floor for several minutes.

TELEMMGLPICT000127024346-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqkXbkQY4xF11YSbIjVXCcooF5AKrEzaBz84qfMfZKRcU.jpeg
Now there's a conspiracy theory.....Arséne injuring his own players in an attempt to justify a player's actions [emoji1]

The ball hit his shoulder and went into his face, but he didn't need to look like he'd just been shot. Throwing the ball at another play with force is actually bookable offence. What should have happened is play should have been stopped, Sanchez verbally cautioned (you have to be 2m from the player throwing the ball) and the other player booked, and the throw given to Arsenal.

But some referees see some rules as guidelines.

No where near his face - and as a team supporter Ian W is supporting the players actions, Wenger defended him - no wonder players try it on.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuZ81CaELy0

and Fergie threw a boot at Beckham...

Huth had the right idea
upload_2017-5-29_9-49-24.png
https://BANNED/robert_huth/status/857893023459442688/photo/1[/img

Last edited:
No where near his face - and as a team supporter Ian W is supporting the players actions, Wenger defended him - no wonder players try it on.

We still seem to be ignoring the fact that throwing the ball that hard directly at a player is a bookable offence, and seeing as he already had a card, he should have got his marching orders. The ref should have booked Sanchez at the same time. You can't have it all one way on this....

I absolutely hate it when I hear a pundit say "There was contact, so he was entitled to go down". I always thought football was meant to be a contact sport.
Footballers seem to be sending out mixed messages on this and have been for a few years. Even when there isn't contact, some say the foul is committed because the 'victim' had to adjust himself to avoid the touch, causing him to fall.

I can't say I've noticed Arsenal players going down easier than any other team. :thinking: As far as this retrospective dive rule is concerned, I can't wait for the season to start. I just hope it is not one of these things they do for a couple of months, and then ease of it.

I think as younger former players have come into the media, the cheating they themselves used to do is not pulled up as much as it previously may have done, because they obviously don't consider some things as cheating. :mad: :rolleyes: They also sometimes have a British bias when they do criticise things like diving/cheating, and go easy on the UK players.

Well done Huddersfield. Always nice to see a new team in the top flight (y)

Although having just double checked, they have been in my lifetime, but I was too young to see it ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back