The Football Thread.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but much of the Spanish league is not that great, and when it comes to big games he seems to bottle it.

I meant the behind the goal line judge people were useless, waste of time being there. Not Barca obviously!

They were useless, did they do anything? Koscielny did play very well actually, aside from dribbling past the halfway line and then not knowing what to do next!!!

No they didn't do a thing! We were in the corner above the Barca fans and the ball went out for a "corner" that was right infront of the 5th official (whatever they are called) who was our side - and the linesman after a 10 second pause gave it (one of many decisions that he didn't have a clue about)! How can he see from there and how could the 5th official not see it wasn't a corner when it was right in front of him! His job must be to keep an eye on the line!? Waste of time they are!

At this level the standard needs to improve - but the flip side is that not many officials are coming through the ranks! Who'd want to be abused for 90mins!!

Koscielny done a couple of good little runs, touches and passes! I said at one point (when our midfield were poor) to my mate Arsene should move him up!

Like we used to do with Keown even though that was to defend! :LOL:

You must have been close to me, I was in Block 119 up high. That decision was a joke. How could that lino make the call????

Yeah we were!

Block 117 Row 6 Seat 421 to be exact!

Picked up a cup final ticket off my mate whilst I was there too :0)

Messi is so over-rated

tell me about it i mean it's not like he's scored many this season is it. What is it only like 40 goals in 33 games or something like that?

pah, what rubbish.

:LOL:

Last edited:
You must have been close to me, I was in Block 119 up high. That decision was a joke. How could that lino make the call????

You are fortunate enough to see 2 of the finest pure footballing teams on the planet and you still moan about an officials decision .

Lord give me strength

You are fortunate enough to see 2 of the finest pure footballing teams on the planet and you still moan about an officials decision .

Lord give me strength

The discussion was more to the point of the officials that stand behind the goals are pointless and make no decisions despite incidents happening right in front of them - read above (if you haven't already).

It was a great game to watch and you're right, we were both very fortunate to be there watching it live.

To see one of the, if not the, greatest players of the modern game in the flesh was a treat! But then again I see Wilshere play every now and then as it is - so it was nice to see that Messi guy play too ;)

To see one of the, if not the, greatest players of the modern game in the flesh was a treat! But then again I see Wilshere play every now and then as it is - so it was nice to see that Messi guy play too ;)

Pick that one out... (y)

the ball went out for a "corner" that was right infront of the 5th official (whatever they are called) who was our side - and the linesman after a 10 second pause gave it (one of many decisions that he didn't have a clue about)! How can he see from there and how could the 5th official not see it wasn't a corner when it was right in front of him!

I wish I could find the clip that was played to me in work but it actually was a corner so the extra official was correct.

It took a slight touch of the Arsenal players toe before going out of play however the Barca player didn't see the touch so appeared surprised when the corner was given as he (not knowing about the touch) looked to be trying to keep it in play.

Last edited:
Pick that one out... (y)

:LOL:

I wish I could find the clip that was played to me in work but it was actually a corner.

It took a slight touch of the Arsenal players toe before going out of play however the Barca player didn't see the touch so appeared surprised when the corner was given as he (not knowing about the touch) looked to be trying to keep it in play.

Yeah it may well have been a corner but the point is that the 5th/6th officials (again whatever they are called) don't seem to make any descisions! The Barca player reaction is what got the crowd going then.

Have any of you lot ever refereed or run the line because if so then you know how difficult these jobs are,split second decisions and no action replay's to help you out.

I have done both yes. Funny thing happened once when I was refing (only at a work five-a-side tournament) you know when you shout at the TV saying "bloody hell ref" etc - I done that as the ref!!! I was enjoying watching the game so much, and as it was a friendly game, when I had to finally make a descision, someone got there legs taken from underneath them, I shouted "Refree!!!" and didn't give a freekick!!

Last edited:
Messi over rated. Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious :) I hope he tears Arsenal apart at Camp Nou. Absolutely tears them inside out ;)

Though Arsenal did do very well. Barca however didn't really come out in the second half, or you could say Arsenal managed to switch them off. I'm not an arsenal fan but I have a lot of respect for them since Wenger joined. On their day they are definitely one of the most entertaining teams to watch. Barca Lite I read this morning. Fair play for the win.

Plus.. I do hope Arsenal annihilate the opposition in the carling cup final. And I mean annihilate and humiliate. And I believe they can :D

Ryan Giggs - Signs new 1 year contract extension.

I was delighted to read this today. Obviously he's no spring chicken at 37 but I think he's still contributing and having a decent season so far.

Probably one of a dying breed - 21 seasons in the first team at United - 850 games - 32 Major honours - still got his feet on the floor.

Last edited:
Ryan Giggs - Signs new 1 year contract extension.

I was delighted to read this today. Obviously he's no spring chicken at 37 but I think he's still contributing and having a decent season so far.

Probably one of a dying breed - 21 seasons in the first team at United - 850 games - 32 Major honours - still got his feet on the floor.

but unfortunately ...... welsh, ah well nobodys perfect
:)

well, i have my tenner placed on saturdays game, 24-1 that crawley will lead ay half time and utd win. i honestly think they'll score. you see it all the time, the underdog spends 65 mins looking like they could win, then fall apart the final 3ed of the game.

the wife has a tenner on crawley winning at 28-1. i thought the odds would have been a little longer to be honest

well, i have my tenner placed on saturdays game, 24-1 that crawley will lead ay half time and utd win. i honestly think they'll score. you see it all the time, the underdog spends 65 mins looking like they could win, then fall apart the final 3ed of the game.

the wife has a tenner on crawley winning at 28-1. i thought the odds would have been a little longer to be honest

24-1 sounds like a mighty fine bet for that scenario (y)

It's a 'bonkers' game so I guess anything is possible and I'd like to say much depends on United's team sheet but it really shouldn't.

Much as I love the FA cup - United are way ahead of any other club - It's all about that record 19th league title this year (y)

Last edited:
That is short odds!? Considering -

My mate put on two bets at the Arsenal game - Barca half time, Arsenal full time 22-1 and an Arsenal 2-1 win also 22-1.

So they've got as good a chance as we did against Barca in other words.

24-1 sounds like a mighty fine bet for that scenario (y)

It's a 'bonkers' game so I guess anything is possible and I'd like to say much depends on United's team sheet but it really shouldn't.

Much as I love the FA cup - United are way ahead of any other club - It's all about that record 19th league title this year (y)

and i really hope that doesnt happen, i would love to see arsenal pip them to the post :nuts:

and i really hope that doesnt happen, i would love to see arsenal pip them to the post :nuts:

I don't blame you for wishing that :naughty:

I remember when we won the league in 93 to make it Liverpool 18 - United 8 and the Liverpool banners saying.........

5458430284_a57bfa0782.jpg

I don't think anybody at the time (including me) quite expected it but we returned to Anfield with number 18 in 2009 and now we have our sights set on number 19 :naughty:

Last edited:
Enjoyed todays results. It's a shame the season isn't over, with Chelski out the cup and outside the C/league places!

I thought the Man U/Crawley game was good for the cup, it's a shame crawley didn't score, they certainly came close. The united players where certainly getting frustrated.

Enjoyed todays results. It's a shame the season isn't over, with Chelski out the cup and outside the C/league places!

I thought the Man U/Crawley game was good for the cup, it's a shame crawley didn't score, they certainly came close. The united players where certainly getting frustrated.

i only saw the first 20 mins, sounds like utd were lucky to win, theme of their season it seems

Crawley against Man Utd RESERVES was not good for the cup its just another example of the big boys treating the competition and their opponents with contempt

Champions League game midweek and then a series of potentially difficult away matches, including Liverpool and Chelsea.

Football these days is a squad game. Although i was a bit gutted to see the names on the team sheet for the game i can understand why the players were picked.

I for one like to see players coming up in to the first team and getting a feel for playing in these matches. They are then more prepared when they are called on for the BIG games.

That said a few players really showed the gap from the reserves to the first team, Obertan, Carrick and Gibson were very poor.

Long and short of it though: Score one more goal than the opposition. Job done.

Oh good luck Arsenal in the Champions League. If they knock out Barca then thats one more great team out of the competition and the gunners continue to have to fight for 3 trophies with a limited squad.

gunners continue to have to fight for 3 trophies with a limited squad.

Perhaps we could do them a favour then this afternoon and make that two trophies

Come on you O's

Champions League game midweek and then a series of potentially difficult away matches, including Liverpool and Chelsea.

Football these days is a squad game. Although i was a bit gutted to see the names on the team sheet for the game i can understand why the players were picked.

I for one like to see players coming up in to the first team and getting a feel for playing in these matches. They are then more prepared when they are called on for the BIG games.

That said a few players really showed the gap from the reserves to the first team, Obertan, Carrick and Gibson were very poor.

Oh good luck Arsenal in the Champions League. If they knock out Barca then thats one more great team out of the competition and the gunners continue to have to fight for 3 trophies with a limited squad.

Poor little darlings cant play twice a week then,seriously though I am becoming more convinced that the Squad Game thing is a red herring.
If you have a squad where there is competition for every place then maybe it makes sence but apart from early Abramovich Chelsea that has never happened.As was shown yesterday at OT and in many other matches involving the so called big 4 the "Squad Players" have been proven not to be up to standard.In addition nothing keeps a player fitter than match play so maybe it needs a brave manager to disprove the Squad myth and do what Villa did 30 years ago and go through a season(And win the title) with 14 players

Agree that Obertan was poor but I thought Gibson had a decent game - he was certainly pulling the strings and made 3 or 4 clever passes which on another day could have resulted in 2 or 3 goals.

Carrick hasn't done much worthy of mention for a while now and I wouldn't be surprised to he him move on as part of a summer deal.

For me the player that's really shining is Chris Smalling and he's only going to get better.

Crawley against Man Utd RESERVES was not good for the cup its just another example of the big boys treating the competition and their opponents with contempt

Just because they don't field their strongest team for every game doesn't mean they're treating the opponents with contempt. If you've got a deep squad and some of the players who don't normally get a run out are good enough to face smaller teams in competitions such as this it makes absolute sense to give them a taste of FA Cup football and give them some pitch minutes.

Incidentally, before you jump on me for being a United fan, I'm not, I'm just sick of all the whinging from lower league and non-league supporters about big clubs not playing their best team every game. It just comes across as nothing more than bitterness.

Well I'm not very happy with the Arsenal result. We can do without another cup replay.

Wenger needs to get to grips with playing lower league opposition and finishing them off early. Still, cup final next weekend.

Oh, and well done Orient.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Just because they don't field their strongest team for every game doesn't mean they're treating the opponents with contempt. If you've got a deep squad and some of the players who don't normally get a run out are good enough to face smaller teams in competitions such as this it makes absolute sense to give them a taste of FA Cup football and give them some pitch minutes.

Incidentally, before you jump on me for being a United fan, I'm not, I'm just sick of all the whinging from lower league and non-league supporters about big clubs not playing their best team every game. It just comes across as nothing more than bitterness.

Bitterness has nothing to do with as a Wolves fan I wanted McCarthy shot when he pulled that trick against Utd last season because it brings the game into disrepute

Well we definitely dont need another replay thats for sure. Have to say, im really happy for Leyton Orient fans, players and owner. Financially a GREAT result.

Not at our best today, but looking forward to the replay at the Emirates when we can hopefully play a bit more of our passing game.

Once big Jon came on he really worried the Arsenal defenders and hope he is fully fit for the replay.

Up the O's

As every Spurs fan is, I am very very happy!

Well done Birmingham, very pleased for you, always nice to have a club outside the "not quite so big anymore" four win.

Serves Arsenal right for saying they where going for a Quadruple!

I am waiting for the complaints form the grumpy Frenchman about the ref, the pitch, the ball, injuries etc, as well as the Gooners saying that it's not a "big" trophy and they would rather not win it......

Last edited:
As every Spurs fan is, I am very very happy!

Well done Birmingham, very pleased for you, always nice to have a club outside the "not quite so big anymore" four win.

Serves Arsenal right for saying they where going for a Quadruple!

I am waiting for the complaints form the grumpy Frenchman about the ref, the pitch, the ball, injuries etc, as well as the Gooners saying that it's not a "big" trophy and they would rather not win it......
Happy for you Spurs but doesn't work the other way does it...... (Up the Villa!!!!)

Wenge has a big job to remotivate the team in the short-term, but I not for too long. Will be tough if they end up with nothing...??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back