The Football Thread.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
United tend to perform better towards the end of the season (squeaky bum time) rather than early doors so I like to have the tough games late on.

wouldn't be so sure about that, last season you got more points from the first 19 games than you did the last 19 games, overall I'd say man u do pretty evenly over the whole year which is why they often win, they are much more consistent than the rest of the league.

wouldn't be so sure about that, last season you got more points from the first 19 games than you did the last 19 games, overall I'd say man u do pretty evenly over the whole year which is why they often win, they are much more consistent than the rest of the league.

I guess what I mean is we seem to perform better in the league when it's crunch time - so having those 'tough' games towards the end of the season isn't really a worry.

To be honest though - the last few matches of any season can chuck up some strange performances and results.

Who are you hoping for Joe - any mouth watering transfers ?

I guess what I mean is we seem to perform better in the league when it's crunch time - so having those 'tough' games towards the end of the season isn't really a worry.

To be honest though - the last few matches of any season can chuck up some strange performances and results.

Who are you hoping for Joe - any mouth watering transfers ?

well, im disappointed that ashley young isn't coming to liverpool, i've been a big fan of his since he started in the england u21's

I think liverpool have pulle in enough recently to get us back on track with carroll, suarez and henderson. So I wouldn't be dissapointed if they didn't bring anyone else in, and i know the fenway group want to invest in young english players so I'm not holding out for the likes of modric, schneider etc

I would love to get a danny wellbeck or a jack rodwell, and I wouldn't mind scott parker coming for a bit of a kick around

well, im disappointed that ashley young isn't coming to liverpool, i've been a big fan of his since he started in the england u21's

I think liverpool have pulle in enough recently to get us back on track with carroll, suarez and henderson. So I wouldn't be dissapointed if they didn't bring anyone else in, and i know the fenway group want to invest in young english players so I'm not holding out for the likes of modric, schneider etc

I would love to get a danny wellbeck or a jack rodwell, and I wouldn't mind scott parker coming for a bit of a kick around

Not keen on Charlie Adam then? :thinking:

I think Danny Wellbeck has returned to United from his loan to Sunderland ? - it would be nice to see him feature a bit more.

Jack Rodwell - not sure what's happening with him after all the talk of him moving.

Ashley Young - I'm pleased we've signed him as it's nice to get more young English players in.

I think it's great that Phil Jones has come too and for England's sake it will be nice to see him long term with Chris Smalling.

The new keeper - David De Gea - I'll reserve judgement on that one.

Charlie Adam - linked with him but I'm not that keen.

I think there might be one big one in the pipeline......

Wesley Sneijder - think he'll be going somewhere. There was gossip of a deal with Nani.
Luka Modric - seems to be linked with everybody. There was gossip of a deal with Berbatov but I think he wants to go to Chelski.
Samir Nasri - not sure what's going on there.
Alexi Sánchez - think he'll be too expensive.

What's happening with Downing - thought he was going to Liverpool ?

I think Danny Wellbeck has returned to United from his loan to Sunderland ? - it would be nice to see him feature a bit more.

Jack Rodwell - not sure what's happening with him after all the talk of him moving.

Ashley Young - I'm pleased we've signed him as it's nice to get more young English players in.

I think it's great that Phil Jones has come too and for England's sake it will be nice to see him long term with Chris Smalling.

The new keeper - David De Gea - I'll reserve judgement on that one.

Charlie Adam - linked with him but I'm not that keen.

I think there might be one big one in the pipeline......

Wesley Sneijder - think he'll be going somewhere. There was gossip of a deal with Nani.
Luka Modric - seems to be linked with everybody. There was gossip of a deal with Berbatov but I think he wants to go to Chelski.
Samir Nasri - not sure what's going on there.
Alexi Sánchez - think he'll be too expensive.

What's happening with Downing - thought he was going to Liverpool ?

actually i meant a jack rodwell or a danny wellbeck, meaning a player of their ilk, attacking young english midfielder.

dunno about downing syndrome, not heard that rumour, not a big fan

There was something strangely familiar about that.

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory !

So what do you Chelsea guys think of your new boss ?

I know they've been getting some stick for appointing a 'baby Jose' with no Champions League games under his belt but for once (providing long term is an option) I think they may be doing things the right way.

Last edited:
If Man Yoo get Sneijder this summer then you may aswell just give them the prem trophy before the season kicks off in my honest opinion.

They won last seasons title in a bit of a canter & not really playing that well, i just don't see a challenge from anybody else!.

If Man Yoo get Sneijder this summer then you may aswell just give them the prem trophy before the season kicks off in my honest opinion.

They won last seasons title in a bit of a canter & not really playing that well, i just don't see a challenge from anybody else!.

not necessarily, you could have said that when man city bought a dream team, you don't know how a player is going to gel with the rest of the team

All I will say is.... WENGER OUT!!!

Ok, still a long way to go in this transfer window, but typically naff all activity. Man U have bought some cracking players and are pulling further ahead. Where are the 2 top drawer centre backs we need? Where is the2 top drawer mids we need (one in the Parker/Nolan category, the other to replace Arshavin/Rosicky, and where is the 1 or 2 top strikers needed? And no, I do not mean buy some French player for £5m!

All I will say is.... WENGER OUT!!!

Ok, still a long way to go in this transfer window, but typically naff all activity. Man U have bought some cracking players and are pulling further ahead.

I'm happy with United's signings in terms of long term planning but I'm not sure they will improve the team next season.

Ferdinand and Vidic are possibly the best central defensive pairing anywhere at the moment and Chris Smalling has gone from strength to strength stepping in when Ferdinand is injured or Vidic is banned :LOL:. Young Phil Jones looks a good player but I'm guessing he'll be behind those three in the pecking order. Having Jones and Smalling together is great for England but with Ferdinand and Vidic with Evra it will be a couple of years before that partnership really comes to fruition with the Da Silva twins.

Ashley Young - again a decent player that will hopefully have a great future at United but at the moment I'm struggling to see how he will improve things. United look at their best when Rooney is dropping behind Hernandez so I suspect Young will be used wide. Nani and Valencia kind of hold those roles so it's just another case of having one more player added to the list rather than a player that brings something new to the team. There's talk of Nani and or Park going (which wouldn't bother me) in which case Young makes sense but otherwise I just see him as being brought in because Giggs will be calling it a day in a year.

What United really need is a top notch creative central (not wide) midfield player, a solid defensive midfield player and a decent keeper. In terms of the keeper - the David de Gea deal is done and dusted by all accounts but he's young and who knows how he'll do. The midfield roles are the most important and fingers crossed Fergie will be looking for established quality players that will walk into the side. Unfortunately that takes us away from the current trend of us buying young talent type signings and puts us up against the big spenders so perhaps Berbatov and Nani may have to go.

I'm hopeless at gussing what Fergie is up to but Ashely Young gives us some wide / forward options that might allow Berbatov and / or Nani to fund that big midfield signing.

Last edited:
Far too many wide boys at Man U, and I mean that in the nicest sense of the words. I know it isn't Fergie's style, but I'd really like to see Drogba playing in that team. He could also make a big difference in the Arsenal team as well, though, and save him moving house. (y)

Looking at Man U, all they are missing is a real quality midfielder, like Fabregas or Wilshire. Out wide, plenty of options - some good strikers, plenty in defence and what looks like a good keeper on the way. Add a great manager and I think they are a dead cert for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back